Re: doubts about Alistair [Jackets] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jackets wrote:
The Guardian wrote:
Jackets wrote:
The Guardian wrote:
stevie g wrote:
double olympic gold is b list?

Long course. No one debates his short course cred. But people can free to keep holding on to the past if they want.

Put KB, Iden and Frodo (from a year ago) and AB on the line - who do you bet $10k on?

AB would be my last choice.

If you want to broaden A list to guys who can go fast and sometimes have a big race then I guess we can call AB A list - but then was have to add sanders and ditlev and skipper and a bunch of others. Which makes me wonder how far down we go for b list.

I don't really get this question, wasn't Ali and Frodo both injured this time last year? Blum and Iden were both coming off the Olympics?

If you're going to ask me who do I think would win if they're all fully fit and 100% (I think we're yet to see Ali 100% at LC) I'd back Alistair.

But this is my point - AB has been about 50/50 in terms of being fully fit and 100%. So it is hard for me to call him A list as he really is not a sure thing - despite having immense potential.

This is a fair point, as long as your definition of A list does not include two silvers at 70.3 Worlds, it's a prety high bar!

Those are indeed great results. But it has been a while. And yes for me it is a high bar. My “A list” comparable are the Tom Bradys and usain bolts, lance armstrongs, the Michael Phelps. In other sports these are possibly generational athletes, and the hall of famers and all stars are the a list. I don’t think we’ve seen enough depth or history to have a big slate of A listers yet.
Quote Reply
Re: doubts about Alistair [The Guardian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ali Brownlee is most definitely an A lister by that definition at Short course, just not at long.
Quote Reply
Re: doubts about Alistair [Jackets] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jackets wrote:
Ali Brownlee is most definitely an A lister by that definition at Short course, just not at long.

but he is super good at sports

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Re: doubts about Alistair [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ST the place where the two time Olympic gold medalist who re defined Olympic style racing is B grade
Quote Reply
Re: doubts about Alistair [stevie g] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevie g wrote:
ST the place where the two time Olympic gold medalist who re defined Olympic style racing is B grade
To be fair to ST, it's only the odd contributor who seems to wish to apply such definitions/criteria, not 'core ST', and then reiterate, and dig.
Quote Reply
Re: doubts about Alistair [Ajax Bay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ajax Bay wrote:
stevie g wrote:
To be fair to ST, it's only the odd contributor who seems to wish to apply such definitions/criteria, not 'core ST', and then reiterate, and dig.

The thing is very few athletes other than Jan in 2019 have actually beaten this mythical “stacked field” at the full distance, none of these other alleged A listers have.

If you base it on times then Ali has the best time ever in a “non-asterisk” race. Only a few mins back from Jan’s tri battle time and faster than Gustav’s time in Florida. It’s even faster than that Texas time given the record despite a short bike.

At the half distance he’s come second in 2 of the past 3 world champs and the other he never entered.

Now at the 100km distance people might have a point.
Quote Reply
Re: doubts about Alistair [ianmo80] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ianmo80 wrote:
Ajax Bay wrote:
stevie g wrote:

The thing is very few athletes other than Jan in 2019 have actually beaten this mythical “stacked field” at the full distance, none of these other alleged A listers have.

If you base it on times then Ali has the best time ever in a “non-asterisk” race. Only a few mins back from Jan’s tri battle time and faster than Gustav’s time in Florida. It’s even faster than that Texas time given the record despite a short bike.

At the half distance he’s come second in 2 of the past 3 world champs and the other he never entered.

key point. ali's thrown down some big times on legit courses, twice now. i think the swim at kalmar looked a little fast - maybe 2-3 minutes, but nothing like the 10 minutes at cozumel.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
iron_mike wrote:
ianmo80 wrote:
Ajax Bay wrote:
stevie g wrote:

key point. ali's thrown down some big times on legit courses, twice now. i think the swim at kalmar looked a little fast - maybe 2-3 minutes, but nothing like the 10 minutes at cozumel.
I think the swim in Kalmar was ok in distance, the weather was great and my friends were very happy with the swim and their GPS-loggs point towards correct distance
Quote Reply
Re: doubts about Alistair [superdea] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd seen the strava of a couple of friends and the course looks legit. No motos either like so many other courses?
Quote Reply
Re: doubts about Alistair [superdea] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
superdea wrote:
iron_mike wrote:
ianmo80 wrote:
Ajax Bay wrote:
stevie g wrote:

I think the swim in Kalmar was ok in distance, the weather was great and my friends were very happy with the swim and their GPS-loggs point towards correct distance

good to hear. i saw that ali and a handful of other guys got out of the water in 44-mid, so i assumed it was a little short or something! looks like a great atmosphere at that race, too.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm surprised to hear people have seen the correct distance for the swim leg in Kalmar. Out of the 11 swim files I've seen from my athletes all of them show between 3550m and 3670m except from one guy who went way off course and got 3800m. Gps is notoriously inaccurate for swimming though so who knows but most people went faster than expected.

BA coaching http://www.bjornandersson.se
Quote Reply
Re: doubts about Alistair [bjorn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have said this before, Alistair is an F-1 car

When all the conditions are perfect, there is nothing faster

But like an F-1 car he is somehow fragile and unreliable outside the perfect condition !
Quote Reply
Re: doubts about Alistair [ianmo80] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

I thought Frodo's 7:35 at Roth was legit. What was the asterisk for that race?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Guardian wrote:
Jackets wrote:
The Guardian wrote:
Jackets wrote:
The Guardian wrote:
stevie g wrote:
double olympic gold is b list?

Long course. No one debates his short course cred. But people can free to keep holding on to the past if they want.

Put KB, Iden and Frodo (from a year ago) and AB on the line - who do you bet $10k on?

AB would be my last choice.

If you want to broaden A list to guys who can go fast and sometimes have a big race then I guess we can call AB A list - but then was have to add sanders and ditlev and skipper and a bunch of others. Which makes me wonder how far down we go for b list.

I don't really get this question, wasn't Ali and Frodo both injured this time last year? Blum and Iden were both coming off the Olympics?

If you're going to ask me who do I think would win if they're all fully fit and 100% (I think we're yet to see Ali 100% at LC) I'd back Alistair.

But this is my point - AB has been about 50/50 in terms of being fully fit and 100%. So it is hard for me to call him A list as he really is not a sure thing - despite having immense potential.

This is a fair point, as long as your definition of A list does not include two silvers at 70.3 Worlds, it's a prety high bar!

Those are indeed great results. But it has been a while. And yes for me it is a high bar. My “A list” comparable are the Tom Bradys and usain bolts, lance armstrongs, the Michael Phelps. In other sports these are possibly generational athletes, and the hall of famers and all stars are the a list. I don’t think we’ve seen enough depth or history to have a big slate of A listers yet.

AB isn't on your A list of triathletes but that 'cyclist' is on your A list of all timers!
Quote Reply
Re: doubts about Alistair [Joss1965] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You feel pretty certain Lance is the only one on that A list who got extra pharmacological help?

Those listed are all big winners, however they got there. I think they all have asterisks.

Ali is undeniably an all-time great triathlete and A-list for short course, but he needs at least one championship win to get there for long course. That is my impression of Simon Lessing as well (although he was before my time).

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Re: doubts about Alistair [42point2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
42point2 wrote:

And Magnus in Roth this year
Quote Reply
Re: doubts about Alistair [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BigBoyND wrote:
42point2 wrote:

Think it's being suggested that Roth is a bit short (not referring to 2021 when it was 13km short) and that the benefit of the legendary Roth motos, particularly to the leader, is beyond 'reasonable': hence the *asterisk.
Commentary in https://www.trirating.com/...an-distance-records/ (not been updated for a while - assume Thorsten accords the PTO Rankings and results more importance (and revenue-generating).
Last edited by: Ajax Bay: Aug 22, 22 10:19
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ajax Bay wrote:
BigBoyND wrote:
42point2 wrote:

Think it's being suggested that Roth is a bit short (not referring to 2021 when it was 13km short) and that the benefit of the legendary Roth motos, particularly to the leader, is beyond 'reasonable': hence the *asterisk.

I think the discussion assumes Ironman brand race, although the Tri Battle was not an "Ironman" race.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
stevie g wrote:

I'll say it again - this is not a discussion of short course.
Quote Reply
Re: doubts about Alistair [MI_Mumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Certainly the one that got most pharmacological aid, that had positive tests hidden, and that pioneered electric motors. Other than that, sure, he is the greatest.
Quote Reply
Re: doubts about Alistair [FaKaspar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FaKaspar wrote:
I have said this before, Alistair is an F-1 car

When all the conditions are perfect, there is nothing faster

But like an F-1 car he is somehow fragile and unreliable outside the perfect condition !

Pretty much sums it up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok, agreed he's not A list at Ironman. The thread was called doubts about AB, and went down he's not A. He's not done it at ironman at A list which pretty much means win an IM WC.

But he is most definitely an A list triathlete. As is Lessing, these guys at their respective time went where the best athletes go, which is the ITU and came to IM once that time had passed. In Lessing's case too late and maybe a bit of that for AB as well.

Maybe these guys could have done 70.3 and mopped up those races, bit like Lionel, IM is not for everyone. Lionel and AB do things in their IM sabotaging their own races. Think AB just loves the racing element of being out front pushing, the weekend he got to do it, he seems to lack the temperament to manage and execute an IM where he can't simply ride and run away from everyone.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
With Amberger getting his last minute KQ at IM MT, that's a top fish in the front pack to afford Brownlee some feet all or most of the way, back to the pier. All the gang of 5 at St George will be in that front pack too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ajax Bay wrote:
With Amberger getting his last minute KQ at IM MT, that's a top fish in the front pack to afford Brownlee some feet all or most of the way, back to the pier. All the gang of 5 at St George will be in that front pack too.

I just might assure that Amberger, Brownlee, Laidlow and Baekkegaard will be in that pack.

Spaniard. Sorry for my english for the sensitive ones :P
Last edited by: juanillo: Aug 23, 22 6:18
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ajax Bay wrote:

Has Amberger cleared up his visa issues? I don't think he's been back in the USA since he got sent back to Australia in the spring.
Quote Reply

Prev Next