Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: doubts about Alistair [Ajax Bay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ajax Bay wrote:
Adman wrote:
Jackets wrote:
https://www.tri247.com/triathlon-news/elite/ironman-kalmar-2022-date-start-time-follow-live

I think he's gonna have to have a pretty good day to qualify for Kona. Probably a low 2:40s marathon. Alot of dangerous guys in the field who will take advantage of any slip ups.
A very decent day, at least. Has just run a full 13.1 mile half in 1:09. Thorsten's seedings take into account epic run-walk at Kona.
https://www.trirating.com/...-mpro-only-seedings/

Yeh I took no notice of the seedings due to things being a bit skewed.

Something similar to Swansea over the full distance should do the trick. But he's only really done that once back in 2019 WA.
Quote Reply
Re: doubts about Alistair [Adman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Adman wrote:
But he's only really done that once back in 2019 WA.

Well he done it twice now. 7:38:48 - nearly 8 minutes infront of second place - and a 2:40:47 marathon to close it out. The Brownlee train is stoking up. He still has to do it on the big island and it may be next year before he can considering how close Kona is - but he is finally starting to show his class.

Can't wait for next year when an injury free fit Brownlee puts the wannabes in their place. Come on AB!!!!!

He who understands the WHY, will understand the HOW.
Quote Reply
Re: doubts about Alistair [earthling] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can't wait for next year when an injury free fit Brownlee puts the wannabes in their place. Come on AB!!!!!

—-
So what’s the odds of that actually happening *kinda pink*. 20-1 he actually stays “healthy” for that long of a duration?

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: doubts about Alistair [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know the odds, but it would be long.

That said if he turns up and things go right, he could lay down a record. Ali is physiologically so good and mentally so driven I would never count him out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:

—-
So what’s the odds of that actually happening *kinda pink*. 20-1 he actually stays “healthy” for that long of a duration?

Well most of his pre-Covid injury woes were down to a recurring lower leg issue which had surgery and took a long time to fix, but it has healed. He missed racing during Covid which probably helped that injury sort itself out. This years woes has been down to illness not serious injuries - and a lot of athletes have been ill this year with Covid and post Covid viruses.

I know what you mean when you say kinda pink - you almost expect him to be at the front in Kona and then pull up 10K from the finish hobbling with his next injury. But he has not given up and neither have I - I want to see him win Kona - and a 7:38:48 with a closing 2:40:47 marathon shows he can.

Happy to have bet with you at 20-1 - he gets to Kona next year injury free and wins it. If he turns up in Kona with an injury or comes second or worse I loose.

He who understands the WHY, will understand the HOW.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bang on. If he breaks the course record or never performs well is equally possible and I'll enjoy the show.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
earthling wrote:
B_Doughtie wrote:

—-

Well most of his pre-Covid injury woes were down to a recurring lower leg issue which had surgery and took a long time to fix, but it has healed. He missed racing during Covid which probably helped that injury sort itself out. This years woes has been down to illness not serious injuries - and a lot of athletes have been ill this year with Covid and post Covid viruses.

I know what you mean when you say kinda pink - you almost expect him to be at the front in Kona and then pull up 10K from the finish hobbling with his next injury. But he has not given up and neither have I - I want to see him win Kona - and a 7:38:48 with a closing 2:40:47 marathon shows he can.

Happy to have bet with you at 20-1 - he gets to Kona next year injury free and wins it. If he turns up in Kona with an injury or comes second or worse I loose.

I want AB to win too. But I'd probably take that bet. It's not like other guys have zero chance if he's injury free. I'd agree next year is his year and not this year as maybe the Norwegians won't be there.

But Ditlev will be, and he'll be a year stronger. I wonder if he will be special.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I said in this very thread I believe, he was going to easily get his KQ and then the hype for Kona will ramp back up.

I will doubt him in Kona specifically. But again I’m talking win, as I just think to often there are *issues* that come up for AB……but that in now say is talking anything away. He’s a GOAT, he doesn’t need Kona for any validation. I just struggle to see him right now putting it together in world class events.

B level events this is his MO to look good and showcase his “potential”. He’s one of the best, so I suggested a month ago he’d do today what he did. We gotta see it in world class field. Maybe he does and maybe he doesn’t. He’s already going to be at the front of the field. Just don’t F it up. Let others F it up. That’s my hangup w him at this point in his LC world class races.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Aug 20, 22 8:09
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That’s why I struggle with him. By default he’s one of the best S B R ever. He’s already at the front of fields. Just don’t do anything, make the field come to you. He will win or podium as worse. But again has his race day decisions been affected by where has is fitness wise. Maybe

It seems like sometimes he races as if his style is on the line and just winning isn’t enough. It’s like he takes it personal at times in races.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Aug 20, 22 8:33
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think Alistair’s best ability, is the ability to suffer like hell and enjoy it! If he’s fit and healthy he can push harder and dig deeper than anyone.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
I said in this very thread I believe, he was going to easily get his KQ and then the hype for Kona will ramp back up.

I will doubt him in Kona specifically. But again I’m talking win, as I just think to often there are *issues* that come up for AB……but that in now say is talking anything away. He’s a GOAT, he doesn’t need Kona for any validation. I just struggle to see him right now putting it together in world class events.

B level events this is his MO to look good and showcase his “potential”. He’s one of the best, so I suggested a month ago he’d do today what he did. We gotta see it in world class field. Maybe he does and maybe he doesn’t. He’s already going to be at the front of the field. Just don’t F it up. Let others F it up. That’s my hangup w him at this point in his LC world class races.

You say B list, but how many athletes have gone 7:45 in their 2nd full distance a month after Kona blow up, and then 7:38 in what is their 3rd full distance, easing up on the run.
Quote Reply
Re: doubts about Alistair [ianmo80] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ianmo80 wrote:
B_Doughtie wrote:

You say B list, but how many athletes have gone 7:45 in their 2nd full distance a month after Kona blow up, and then 7:38 in what is their 3rd full distance, easing up on the run.

Thought he did rather better than "looking good" in South Africa and Nice in the 2018 and 2019 70.3 WC 'A' races - albeit 'only' best of the rest after Frodeno and Iden.
In Kona in the front pack throughout the bike, staying away from Iden / Blu and then maintaining that gap on the run. Job jobbed.
https://www.tri247.com/...-2022-results-report
Last edited by: Ajax Bay: Aug 20, 22 10:50
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ianmo80 wrote:
B_Doughtie wrote:

Ditlev?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
earthling wrote:
Adman wrote:
But he's only really done that once back in 2019 WA.

Well he done it twice now. 7:38:48 - nearly 8 minutes infront of second place - and a 2:40:47 marathon to close it out. The Brownlee train is stoking up. He still has to do it on the big island and it may be next year before he can considering how close Kona is - but he is finally starting to show his class.

Yip he did the business today. Now starting to get the hang of these races. Just has to translate that to Kona conditions.

I still think 2:40 is no longer the amazing marathon split it used to be, and there is more work to do on the run. But he may have shut it down today and hasn't exactly had loads of run training recently.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ianmo80 wrote:
B_Doughtie wrote:

Ali didnt ease up on the run. He couldn't get onto the podium without help :) But he looked super impressive for the first 35k
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That’s precisely my point. He’s got the goods. He’s going to be at the front. Just ride smart and it’s pretty much a podium at worse. Let others destroy themselves to catch up. Will it happen?

I

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: doubts about Alistair [Island] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Island wrote:
I think Alistair’s best ability, is the ability to suffer like hell and enjoy it! If he’s fit and healthy he can push harder and dig deeper than anyone.

Wait, you can't say that on ST. Don't you know that here on ST it is an article of faith that only Lionel can "push harder and dig deeper than anyone". :):):)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
earthling wrote:
B_Doughtie wrote:

—-

You give me a lot of hope! Nothing I want to see more in Triathlon than a fit injury free Alistair 🙏
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ianmo80 wrote:
B_Doughtie wrote:

To me guys like KB, Iden, Frodo, Lange (for a while), Allen, Scott are A list. AB is definitely B list. B listers are guys who have the potential to win when all the big guns are there but almost never do. They blow out great times when the pressure is off and the competition is B level, but they are inconsistent when the competition is strong. Sanders is a classic B lister, as is AB.

A listers consistently dominate the event and one doesn't have to wait for them to finally get their nutrition right, or not be injured, etc., etc. They just get the job done. We keep waiting for the stars to align for AB, but it doesn't necessarily mean they will.
Quote Reply
Re: doubts about Alistair [The Guardian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
double olympic gold is b list?
Quote Reply
Re: doubts about Alistair [stevie g] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevie g wrote:
double olympic gold is b list?

Obviously. We were thinking about making him "top of the C list", but after his win in Kalmar he squeezed into the B list.

Had he won a third consecutive Olympics his spot in the B list would have been guaranteed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If Brownlee was B list this thread would not exist.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Guardian wrote:
ianmo80 wrote:
B_Doughtie wrote:

To me guys like KB, Iden, Frodo, Lange (for a while), Allen, Scott are A list. AB is definitely B list. B listers are guys who have the potential to win when all the big guns are there but almost never do. They blow out great times when the pressure is off and the competition is B level, but they are inconsistent when the competition is strong. Sanders is a classic B lister, as is AB.

A listers consistently dominate the event and one doesn't have to wait for them to finally get their nutrition right, or not be injured, etc., etc. They just get the job done. We keep waiting for the stars to align for AB, but it doesn't necessarily mean they will.

Yeah. 2x Olympic golds says he's shiiite. Because nobody else had any interest in winning those.🤔
Do you have Gomez as a D list making-up-the-numbers athlete on that basis ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Guardian wrote:
ianmo80 wrote:
B_Doughtie wrote:

Not sure what performance dehancing drugs you are on? Two Olympic golds back to back... That 70.3 worlds in South Africa where they went toe to toe AB Brownlee driving the bike with Frodeno and if not anything else this is what sealed GOAT status for Frodo with me. Took on the Olympic elite at middle ground and outran them in a freakish time. If you don't have AB and Gomez in your a list I want to know if you can share some of what you are on because it must be good...

https://triathlonmagazine.ca/feature/jan-frodeno-wins-2018-70-3-world-championship/#:~:text=On%2C%20Sunday%2C%20September%202nd%2C,champion%20with%20the%20win%20today.
Quote Reply
Re: doubts about Alistair [stevie g] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No B list as in AB lately has shown he has the goods in races that don’t really amount to much. His last result in an world champ qualify field was 3-4 years ago? Yet in the same time he’s gone stupid fast times at other events that have softer fields.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply

Prev Next