Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Proof of Covid Vaccine for Tri Participation? [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
It seems the only solution to vaccine card fraud is.... A microchip!

The solution is a penalty of a mandatory Covid19 vaccination if caught. Take them to a public place strap em' down and forcefully give them the shot. Damn sissies afraid of a needle. Lol
Quote Reply
Re: Proof of Covid Vaccine for Tri Participation? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
ChrisM wrote:
SayHey Kid wrote:
ChrisM wrote:
You're assuming the only way to provide proof is a vax card

In NY, they just launched ( I believe the 1st state to do so) an app called Excelsior Pass which shows your vaccine data. Eliminates the need to carry the card

This pass can to be used to enter establishments/venues that are requiring proof of vaccination (the NYC arenas/stadiums, off the top of my head)

LA County, I have a digital vaccination record by a platform called Healthvana, requires a secure log in. My record is saved as a pdf and in my apple wallet. Wasn't something I asked for, was just sent to me, Has my mfg and dates.

i established an online account with CVS, where i got my vaccine, and the vaccine shot populated on my account immediately. note: this does not show up on your mychart account, associated with minuteclinic (wholly owned by CVS). my covid tests show up on my minuteclinic account, and my covid vaccine shows up on my CVS account.

Got mine at Walgreens. Both shots are listed under my account online and on the app.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m not for it but I would follow it. But who am I kidding? We can’t even implement masking.

None of this will be necessary. I’m racing this weekend and a majority of races this summer or fall will happen. Places that won’t allow races, will eventually buckle to people’s demands.

If you’re worried about covid, stay home and quarantine yourself. Nowhere does it say you have to race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Come on...... NO
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A few posts hit on the present reality: races are already happening in many areas, and several states have said no to passports. So, the premise is somewhat moot from a national perspective.

Maybe the recast the question to something like "do you think we could resume racing in the more restrictive states if they would grant permits to races if participants had proof of vaccination?" This really solves for states like CA, NY, MI, MA, DC, HI, IL, etc. Many other states are already moving forward, so the idea of required vaccinations is moot.

The big test question is, if CA would only allow races in 2021 or 2022 to participants willing to show proof of vaccination, could those races be successful? What if CA suddenly told Disney that Disney Land could only remain open if they required proof of vaccination? Do you think that would fly? I really have no idea. I do know that many amusement parks and races have successfully reopened across the nation long before now with no reported material spreads.
Quote Reply
Re: Proof of Covid Vaccine for Tri Participation? [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well said.
Quote Reply
Re: Proof of Covid Vaccine for Tri Participation? [null-and-void] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
null-and-void wrote:
GoJohnnyGo wrote:
I'm not necessarily pro or anti vax. The vaccine pretty much available now in the US to almost anyone who wants it for free. So why would it matter that others are vaccinated? Everyone can make their own choice.

I don't understand this logic. I personally may get the JJ vax when available but do not have the right to tell others what to do as I can protect myself if I want.

Good luck this year!

Actually, this is wrong. No, everyone doesn't make their own choices. I don't have the choice to drive drunk, I don't have the choice not to pay my taxes, and I don't have the choice to sell alcohol and tobacco to minors. And you cannot protect yourself if the rest of your community are acting like a**holes.

EDIT: But of course, you always could use your automatic weapon to protect yourself from infection. There's that.

Semi-auto or fully automatic? Big difference.

What a bizarre thing to bring up in a triathlon topic, by the way.
Quote Reply
Re: Proof of Covid Vaccine for Tri Participation? [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
A few posts hit on the present reality: races are already happening in many areas, and several states have said no to passports. So, the premise is somewhat moot from a national perspective.

Maybe the recast the question to something like "do you think we could resume racing in the more restrictive states if they would grant permits to races if participants had proof of vaccination?" This really solves for states like CA, NY, MI, MA, DC, HI, IL, etc. Many other states are already moving forward, so the idea of required vaccinations is moot.

The big test question is, if CA would only allow races in 2021 or 2022 to participants willing to show proof of vaccination, could those races be successful? What if CA suddenly told Disney that Disney Land could only remain open if they required proof of vaccination? Do you think that would fly? I really have no idea. I do know that many amusement parks and races have successfully reopened across the nation long before now with no reported material spreads.

Disneyland is opening this month without such requirements. I've raced in California already. Announcement today is that CA will remove all restrictions (except maybe masks) June 15 if trends continue. I know it's popular to drag on CA but sometimes perception is not reality
Last edited by: ChrisM: Apr 7, 21 12:53
Quote Reply
Re: Proof of Covid Vaccine for Tri Participation? [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ChrisM wrote:
Disneyland is opening this month without such requirements. I've raced in California already. Announcement today is that CA will remove all restrictions (except maybe masks) June 15 if trends continue. I know it's popular to drag on CA but sometimes perception is not reality
Yep, I knew DL is opening (I am almost a Disney Adult). But, I did not know that races were happening in CA yet. That is great news. I was using CA as my hypothetical because Slowman and several others in this thread are in CA, and CA has some of the most awesome and popular races in the US. (And, Disneyland is in CA and has been fighting to reopen for a long time.)
Quote Reply
Re: Proof of Covid Vaccine for Tri Participation? [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:
Try getting an appointment in Harris County that fit with a full-time work schedule and public transportation.

Just because things are good where you live does not mean they are good everywhere - especially in states where officials are purposely trying to f things up.

Things are going pretty well in a lot of places. But some people have been left out. As usual.

Edit - as an anecdote - My mother lives in San Antonio Texas and has every advantage and being 75, was in one of the earliest groups to be able to get vaccinated. She has a full-time assistant trying to make online and over-the-phone reservations for her all over the state. She has an infinitely flexible schedule and transportation to anywhere she wants to go at any time. It took her almost a month to get an appointment and even that was a 90 minute drive, each way. Before that, she was seriously considering taking an appointment about a 2.5 hour drive away. Imagine a low-wage worker with 2 jobs and no car. How do they get their shot in that circumstance?

Yikes - stuff like that makes me realize that LA has been doing pretty well in the grand scheme of things. We got ours via one of the drive thru sites on a Saturday (booked the Thursday before) and were able to get a same day slot for an employee at USC's walk up site (which is very close to a few different public transit options). Very appreciative of the LAFD and the volunteers helping run these sites.

Slowman - would sign up for a vaccine verified race, even if it was a "best effort" (e.g., CDC card) verification. I'd imagine that most folks wouldn't fake the cards, so you'd at least get closer to "herd immunity" within the group even if a few people faked them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
ChrisM wrote:
SayHey Kid wrote:
ChrisM wrote:
You're assuming the only way to provide proof is a vax card

In NY, they just launched ( I believe the 1st state to do so) an app called Excelsior Pass which shows your vaccine data. Eliminates the need to carry the card

This pass can to be used to enter establishments/venues that are requiring proof of vaccination (the NYC arenas/stadiums, off the top of my head)

LA County, I have a digital vaccination record by a platform called Healthvana, requires a secure log in. My record is saved as a pdf and in my apple wallet. Wasn't something I asked for, was just sent to me, Has my mfg and dates.

i established an online account with CVS, where i got my vaccine, and the vaccine shot populated on my account immediately. note: this does not show up on your mychart account, associated with minuteclinic (wholly owned by CVS). my covid tests show up on my minuteclinic account, and my covid vaccine shows up on my CVS account.

Not super surprising - MyChart is the patient facing portal for Epic's EHR (Electronic Health Record) system. That software is focused on provider system (typically big hospital systems and not urgent care practices, but MinuteClinic is big enough to spread the cost of an Epic install) and not pharmacies (CVS probably has it's own proprietary system there). Epic is also a (largely) on-prem system, so connecting Epic instances across hospital systems is relatively involved (this is getting better with some of the interoperability standards that CMS is pushing, but it's not a given that everything plays nice out of the gate).

CVS would need to expose the data from their pharmacy system to the MinuteClinic Epic install for you to be able to see your vaccine in Mychart.
Last edited by: andrewjshults: Apr 7, 21 15:31
Quote Reply
Re: Proof of Covid Vaccine for Tri Participation? [andrewjshults] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
andrewjshults wrote:
Slowman wrote:

Not super surprising - MyChart is the patient facing portal for Epic's EHR (Electronic Health Record) system. That software is focused on provider system (typically big hospital systems and not urgent care practices, but MinuteClinic is big enough to spread the cost of an Epic install) and not pharmacies (CVS probably has it's own proprietary system there). Epic is also a (largely) on-prem system, so connecting Epic instances across hospital systems is relatively involved (this is getting better with some of the interoperability standards that CMS is pushing, but it's not a given that everything plays nice out of the gate).

CVS would need to expose the data from their pharmacy system to the MinuteClinic Epic install for you to be able to see your vaccine in Mychart.

"connecting Epic instances across hospital systems is relatively involved"

This is the same software, running in different places, and it can't manage the most basic of EHR requirements, interoperability.
The whole point of EHRs was to be able to interchange health records between different software systems and healthcare systems.
The state of healthcare in the USA is worse than can be believed..

Think of any other first world country, and the internal vaccine record problem is trivial, as it is nationally co-ordinated.
Example, Australian Immunisation Register - How to get an immunisation history statement - Services Australia
Example, German Vaccination System | Handbook Germany
und so weiter..

In the US, chaos and old night reign, Vaccine passports and digital vaccination records, explained - Vox

Of course Experian, Google, and many other corporations already know your vaccine status, but there's no incentive for them to share that data.

Quote:
Experian announced that 'every person in the U.S. population, of an estimated 328 million Americans, have been assigned a unique Universal Patient Identifier'.
The ID is 'not intended' to be 'patient-facing' and is 'not known to the patient'.

Quote:
Google now has all your health care data, to do with as it will. So it goes.
" In just a few years, the company has achieved the ability to view or analyze tens of millions of patient health records in at least three-quarters of U.S. states, according to a Wall Street Journal analysis of contractual agreements.
In certain instances, the deals allow Google to access personally identifiable health information without the knowledge of patients or doctors. The company can review complete health records, including names, dates of birth, medications and other ailments, according to people familiar with the deals."

Yes, I support requiring evidence of vaccination to race. It's a start. The sociopaths will still show up to race with false credentials, but there's no way to stop them short of testing everyone. Maybe the antibody test could be added to the random drug tests.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
HuffNPuff wrote:
Slowman wrote:
synthetic wrote:
Slowman wrote:
i believe this is a requirement for kids to attend school, no?

NO. public schools are reopening. testing is required. some universities are planning to require it.

what i mean is, vaccines (in general) are a requirement for the attendance of public schools. are they not? maybe not. not for covid, but for smallpox, chickenpox and the like. so, the idea of a vaccine as the cost of participation is not a novel concept. but i don't have kids so i don't know. maybe your unvaccinated kid can attend school fine.

Dan - I am pro vax and will get my second shot Sunday. However, you are mixing apples and oranges in your argument by suggesting that because there are situations where an FDA approved vaccine is required (aka smallpox for schools) that it is therefore OK to require an experimental vaccine that is not FDA approved to participate in society. I received 4 of the 6 series anthrax vaccine shots when I was in the military before a federal court ruled that the Dept of Defense had no right to force military members to take experimental vaccines. That stopped the military anthrax program cold, and that's why DoD cannot/willnot FORCE its members to take any of the COVID vaccines. Further, Florida has already issued an executive order banning vaccine passports and other states are considering similar measures. The proposal for a mandatory covid vax to participate in triathlons is a non-starter.

"Pentagon leaders say they will not require their personnel to take the vaccine until the U.S. Food and Drug Administration gives its full approval of the drug. So far, the FDA has only given emergency authorization that allowed for the initial distribution of the vaccine. It could be up to two years before the full approval comes, military officials have told VOA."

i want to hear your-all's opinions on this, but i think you misunderstand my question. i'm not asking you whether it's a good idea for everyone to be forced to get a covid vaccine. i'm asking whether you think it might speed up the reopening if certain events were vaccine-only, that is would athletes and host communities feel more comfortable if all attendees were vaccinated? what constitutes proof; how that proof is translated; how it's validated; and whether this is so temporary that it's not worth the trouble; those are valid objections. but i don't see anywhere where anyone is advocating that you be wrestled down and vaccinated against your will.

as for florida, that's fine. god bless florida. it can do what it wants. i'm in california.

I'd love for events and races to do this. Schools already do for children, why not follow through with adults?

Too old to go pro but doing it anyway
http://instagram.com/tgarvey4
Quote Reply
Re: Proof of Covid Vaccine for Tri Participation? [Terrordact] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Terrordact wrote:
Thom wrote:
Calchemma wrote:

Show me anybody who believes in individual freedom that also believes we should be allowed to get drunk and use the roads as our personal highway.

Nobody believes that, most people understand that we don't have the freedom to endanger other peoples lives.

Could you hear the whooshing sound of the point flying over his head?

But I do love it when someone provides their own written proof that some people can't grasp sarcasm unless they are told that it's sarcasm in advance.
Quote Reply
Re: Proof of Covid Vaccine for Tri Participation? [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:

"Pentagon leaders say they will not require their personnel to take the vaccine until the U.S. Food and Drug Administration gives its full approval of the drug. So far, the FDA has only given emergency authorization that allowed for the initial distribution of the vaccine. It could be up to two years before the full approval comes, military officials have told VOA."

Getting side-tracked, but I think it's important to not mischaracterize what the DoD is doing. Don't mistake the lack of requirement for lack of intent to broadly vaccinate the U.S. armed forces, and quickly. And the U.S. Navy is doing things like relaxing requirements for quarantines, restrictions on port calls, etc, for those who are vaccinate. DoD leadership is very much pushing 100% vaccination by voluntary means.

So maybe think of a race in California like getting some shore leave. Those who are vaccinated are free to take off for some bar-hopping over the weekend. Everyone else stays on the ship. But no one is required to get the vaccine.
Last edited by: trail: Apr 7, 21 15:21
Quote Reply
Re: Proof of Covid Vaccine for Tri Participation? [doug in co] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
doug in co wrote:
"connecting Epic instances across hospital systems is relatively involved"

This is the same software, running in different places, and it can't manage the most basic of EHR requirements, interoperability.
The whole point of EHRs was to be able to interchange health records between different software systems and healthcare systems.
The state of healthcare in the USA is worse than can be believed..

I had a conversation this morning about the best way to exchange a certain class of data, which there was a "standard" established over a decade around said exchange. Our conclusion was that flat files (basically giant CSV files) were likely to continue to be the best option here as every example we found/knew of was either flat files or places that had attempted to implement the standard and the went back to flat files. Maybe next decade the standard will be sufficiently ironed out...
Quote Reply
Re: Proof of Covid Vaccine for Tri Participation? [null-and-void] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
null-and-void wrote:
GoJohnnyGo wrote:
I'm not necessarily pro or anti vax. The vaccine pretty much available now in the US to almost anyone who wants it for free. So why would it matter that others are vaccinated? Everyone can make their own choice.

I don't understand this logic. I personally may get the JJ vax when available but do not have the right to tell others what to do as I can protect myself if I want.

Good luck this year!

Actually, this is wrong. No, everyone doesn't make their own choices. I don't have the choice to drive drunk, I don't have the choice not to pay my taxes, and I don't have the choice to sell alcohol and tobacco to minors. And you cannot protect yourself if the rest of your community are acting like a**holes.

EDIT: But of course, you always could use your automatic weapon to protect yourself from infection. There's that.

Your analogy only makes sense if there was a vaccine to protect against drunk drivers. Not sure why so many people don't get it. If everyone has the right to a free vaccine then someone who doesn't vaccinate can only hurt themselves.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
null-and-void wrote:
GoJohnnyGo wrote:

Good luck this year!

Actually. You can do all of those much easier than obtaining an automatic weapon. (Assuming you are referring to a gun) You can break most laws pretty easily.
Quote Reply
Re: Proof of Covid Vaccine for Tri Participation? [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
HuffNPuff wrote:

Getting side-tracked, but I think it's important to not mischaracterize what the DoD is doing. Don't mistake the lack of requirement for lack of intent to broadly vaccinate the U.S. armed forces, and quickly. And the U.S. Navy is doing things like relaxing requirements for quarantines, restrictions on port calls, etc, for those who are vaccinate. DoD leadership is very much pushing 100% vaccination by voluntary means.

So maybe think of a race in California like getting some shore leave. Those who are vaccinated are free to take off for some bar-hopping over the weekend. Everyone else stays on the ship. But no one is required to get the vaccine.

Leave is Earned. Denying leave is the first way to get a commander fired. Not sure if you've noticed, but command climate in a lot of places is poor. So please take the bad idea fairy and get him out of your life.

Last edited by: TheStroBro: Apr 7, 21 17:48
Quote Reply
Re: Proof of Covid Vaccine for Tri Participation? [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
So please take the bad idea fairy and get him out of your life.

I could be wrong, but pretty sure I read it in a respected DoD-covering publication. Will follow up and correct myself if wrong.
Quote Reply
Re: Proof of Covid Vaccine for Tri Participation? [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you are still having trouble getting appointments try signing up on the waitlists for multiple of the surrounding counties/lists - Harris, Fort Bend, UTMB - you can get on multiple lists. So far we have had 2 parents (80 years old), my wife (48 with asthma), and I just got my first Moderna via UTMB on Monday (47 year old no medical issues). I am getting contacted by all the lists I signed up for a month ago to make an appt and so have now cancelled my spot on those lists.

As to Slowmans question - yes I think if events require vaccination proof it would help to speed up getting events back to happening. You want to race, step up and do what is good for the greater community. But if a race promoter doesn’t want to require that then they have that right too - but the community has the right to say what events can and cannot go ahead.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have not signed up for any races yet this year. I would be much more likely to sign up for a race if it required proof of vaccination. For me, it's just not worth the risk a race would present, beyond the already not-insignificant risk endurance racing presents just by being what it is.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
HuffNPuff wrote:

Tbere is no mischaracterization. DoD is 100% behind the vaccination program and using every legal means to push it, both ethical (like education programs) and unethical (such as your punitive example). The latter type of action is par for the course in the military. Before they were stopped on the anthrax program, military members were court martialed and/or discharged for not taking the shot. So many quit the service over it that congressional hearings were held. No doubt, the long history of DoD using members as guinea pigs is hampering current efforts to achieve full compliance.

To reiterate, I am vaccinated. But I feel strongly that there should not be any government sponsored benefits for taking an experimental vaccine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
TheStroBro wrote:
So please take the bad idea fairy and get him out of your life.

I could be wrong, but pretty sure I read it in a respected DoD-covering publication. Will follow up and correct myself if wrong.

This vaccine will never be mandatory, just like the flu vaccine isn't. But it will be another slide in Command & Shaft briefings.

Quote Reply

Prev Next