Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Proof of Covid Vaccine for Tri Participation? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm sure Pfizer, Moderna and J&J would be all for this idea. Like many others, I'd like to be able to race again, especially without the restrictions of masks, distancing, wave starts, etc. At the same time, forcing everyone to take a vaccine for a virus many of us don't see as the apocalyptic plague the media and current administration frames it as feels a lot like coercion. I understand pros succumbing to such pressures as their paychecks are on the line. However, I think forcing everyone to take a vaccine (or wear a mask for that matter) is one more step in a loss of personal freedoms.

Personally, I've canned the idea of racing this year because it is a hobby, not a profession and fitness is a way of life, not tied to a specific race. I'm in the camp that forcing anyone to take a vaccine against their will or using coercive measures to compel people to align their actions with the values of the masses is a slippery slope we're tobogganing down as I type this.

PS. I'm adding a quick disclaimer as I recognize my opinion will more than likely spin up a number of folks. I'm glad Slowman put this topic on the forum as a discussion and am offering my perspective in response to his question, not poking at folks with different opinions (of which there are many) nor suggesting that my perspective is the right one to have. I firmly believe that if people want to take the vaccine for whatever reasons they have, they should do so. Same thing with masks and other precautions. At the same time, those of us that feel different shouldn't be compelled to go against what we believe to be right for us as individuals.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
windschatten wrote:
Now Slowman himself post-hoc admits these conditions are unlikely/unrealistic to occur for the timeframe suggested.

i don't think slowman admitted that at all. i never thought, a year ago, that we would still be in this place, of not having races permissible by host venues. what i do know is that vaccine requirements or passports, in one form or another, are being used right now. so, i don't see this as far fetched. i just don't know if we'll need them for a long enough period of time to warrant the hassle.

thank god we have you, the future seer.

I referred to the second paragraph of your post #217.
But surely I misread or misunderstood.

And no, not gonna take that cheap bait.
Last edited by: windschatten: Apr 11, 21 12:16
Quote Reply
Re: Proof of Covid Vaccine for Tri Participation? [alaska848] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good post. There is the bigger picture of the herd dynamics at play, majorly driven by instincts rather than rational thinking. And then there’s plenty of lemmings.
It’s an interesting time for sociology research and ‘history repeats itself’.

I am vaccinated, but thought long and hard about it.
In the end the vaccine has no downsides (and other than some disease-attenuation, no world-changing upsides either). In the big social picture, pretty similar to a Flu shot, actually.
I consider it more of a good-will gesture (agreeing to be a mensch).
I don’t think it curtails my freedom to show that meaningless paper card. It’s like a donation or ‘I voted’ badge.

What I object to is people weaponizing the issue for their own personal agenda.

So I reserve my fights for Slowman (Just kidding) or other more insidious approaches to curtail my freedom.
Last edited by: windschatten: Apr 11, 21 12:57
Quote Reply
Re: Proof of Covid Vaccine for Tri Participation? [alaska848] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At the same time, those of us that feel different shouldn't be compelled to go against what we believe to be right for us as individuals. //

As I can see, no one is doing that at all. You are free to do what your beliefs tell you is right, and go on about your business. But just as you cannot walk into a restaurant naked, you may not be able to do some other things too without being vaccinated. Your precious choices are still in tact, you just cannot infringe on other peoples choices. in many different ways...
Quote Reply
Re: Proof of Covid Vaccine for Tri Participation? [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
At the same time, those of us that feel different shouldn't be compelled to go against what we believe to be right for us as individuals. //

As I can see, no one is doing that at all. You are free to do what your beliefs tell you is right, and go on about your business. But just as you cannot walk into a restaurant naked, you may not be able to do some other things too without being vaccinated. Your precious choices are still in tact, you just cannot infringe on other peoples choices. in many different ways...

Monty, I think your statement is roughly OK once these vaccines are formally approved.

While they are experimental, talking down to someone who is cautious and may want to wait won't get us to get them to vaccinate. Private businesses (like mine) may be able to force their clients to be vaccinated but they will have a tough time to forcefully make employees vaccinate (which is why my employees will be able to work at full pay for home if unvaccinated at least initially.), but generally in society in MOST countries, it will have to remain optional until the vaccines have gone through the full regulatory hoop.

But let's take it another step. Can Ironman or a race director force an employee to be vaccinated if the race site requires that, dictated by the city? I think they would have to find an alternative way to pay the employee to do other work that does not require them to be on race site. As a customer if the company says the race is only for vaccinated people and then puts an unvaccinated person onsite to work because they cannot force that on the employee and that person is at the the race then what?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:

Yeah, I really think those against it need to get off the “forcing you to do something†argument. No one is forcing you to do anything. Nor is that even being proposed here
Quote Reply
Re: Proof of Covid Vaccine for Tri Participation? [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windschatten wrote:

I am vaccinated, but thought long and hard about it.
In the end the vaccine has no downsides...

You lost me here. What was there to think about if there were no downsides?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is fascinating to me that we are simultaneously having a national debate over voter ID laws and vax passports, with most of the public on one side but not the other out of political allegiance. The lack of consistency tells me all I need to know about the phoniness of the debate.

I seem to recall "show me your papers" being abused by governments in the past but my memory escapes me as to the historical context.

As to your question, no thanks. I am not at risk and do not interact with anyone that is. I may or may not have the vax but am indifferent if those around me do or do not, particularly given the extremely low likelihood of transmission at an outdoor event. Every race I have done has a disclaimer that I am at risk when I race. It is not the RD's responsibility to protect me from germs. If this is too much for my fellow competitors to handle, maybe they should stay at home and race on Zwift?

Personally, I think RDs should fight this with all they have but the target audience is completely on board so it does not surprise that they are not. Is a flu vax passport next?
Last edited by: Klaus Daimler: Apr 11, 21 16:06
Quote Reply
Re: Proof of Covid Vaccine for Tri Participation? [Klaus Daimler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Klaus Daimler wrote:
Personally, I think RDs should fight this with all they have but the target audience is completely on board so it does not surprise that they are not. Is a flu vax passport next?

when you say RDs should "fight this with all they have," fight what? what should they be fighting?

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Vax passport.
Quote Reply
Re: Proof of Covid Vaccine for Tri Participation? [Klaus Daimler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Klaus Daimler wrote:
Vax passport.

you mean the governmental imperative that is now forcing them to use a vax passport?

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Proof of Covid Vaccine for Tri Participation? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
While they are experimental, talking down to someone who is cautious and may want to wait won't get us to get them to vaccinate.//

Where did I talk down to anyone? I simply stated that his belief if fine, as long as it doesn't infringe on others. No one is forcing him to get vaccinated. Now if he could buy food or water because of this, then that would be different. But I dont get to bring food or a weapon into a baseball game, or have bare feet in a nice restaurant, or drive without my seat belt. Not being able to participate in a few races is not forcing anyone to go against their beliefs in this matter. You have been to China and many other foreign countries that dont think like we do, now there you would have a case of force...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
Klaus Daimler wrote:
Vax passport.

you mean the governmental imperative that is now forcing them to use a vax passport?

I am not familiar with the "government imperative" of which you speak. Do you have specifics on this?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It came across as a talk down when you said precious choices rather than simply choices and when you used the extreme example of walking into a restaurant naked. Neither is helpful towards a reasonable discourses

I am your side and would like to see more vaccinated but when people are on the fence and then we talk about precious choices or choosing to show up at restaurants naked it's not going to convince others to take the leap. More likely to create wider divide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Your precious choices are still in tact, you just cannot infringe on other peoples choices. in many different ways...

Staying home is a choice, too. You do not have a right to be surrounded by those that make personal health decisions that you agree with.

Out of curiosity, which of the following informs your position?

a) It is RD's responsibility to contribute to overall public health
b) It is RD's responsibility to help ensure the health of paying customers
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Klaus Daimler wrote:
Slowman wrote:
Klaus Daimler wrote:
Vax passport.

I am not familiar with the "government imperative" of which you speak. Do you have specifics on this?

sure. here are the specifics. there is no government imperative. there is no suggestion of it. or even brought it up as a conversation point.

the poll asked about a hypothetical, which was, if an RD or RDs found that proof of vaccination would allow them to open a race to take place for which permits are currently unavailable, would users be in favor of this? the RD (or RDs) would not have to "fight" anything, because there is nothing to fight. they either would decide to take this affirmative act, or they would not. no one is forcing them to do this. or suggesting it. there is nothing to "fight".

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
Klaus Daimler wrote:
Slowman wrote:
Klaus Daimler wrote:
Vax passport.

sure. here are the specifics. there is no government imperative. there is no suggestion of it. or even brought it up as a conversation point.

the poll asked about a hypothetical, which was, if an RD or RDs found that proof of vaccination would allow them to open a race to take place for which permits are currently unavailable, would users be in favor of this? the RD (or RDs) would not have to "fight" anything, because there is nothing to fight. they either would decide to take this affirmative act, or they would not. no one is forcing them to do this. or suggesting it. there is nothing to "fight".

Slowman wrote:
i'm waffling on this. it seems to me that one way to get us back to having permits granted for races is just to require proof of vaccination for entry, until we don't need to anymore. i recognize this is a political football right now. but it's just public health. i believe this is a requirement for kids to attend school, no? once we get past the pandemic, we're back to normal. but for 2021, it seems to me a reasonable discussion point.

israel has a "green passport" which is basically this. if i owned a restaurant, for example, or a gym, i'd eagerly embrace this idea. there would be no reason for me to be denied the ability to provide a service to those who can prove they're vaccinated, and i think i'd get a lot of business if folks knew everyone in my establishment had been vaccinated.

what say you?

I am having trouble following the plot. You mentioned a "government imperative" which you now state was not suggested. Your original post which is different than what you are representing in your reply. But whatevs. Any question that you ask that involves vax passport will receive a hard no response from me.
Last edited by: Klaus Daimler: Apr 11, 21 17:06
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Klaus Daimler wrote:
Slowman wrote:
Klaus Daimler wrote:
Slowman wrote:
Klaus Daimler wrote:
Vax passport.

I am having trouble following the plot. You mentioned a "government imperative" which you now state was not suggested. Below is your original post which is different than what you are representing in your reply. But whatevs. Any question that you ask that involves vax passport will receive a hard no response from me.

Slowman wrote:
i'm waffling on this. it seems to me that one way to get us back to having permits granted for races is just to require proof of vaccination for entry, until we don't need to anymore. i recognize this is a political football right now. but it's just public health. i believe this is a requirement for kids to attend school, no? once we get past the pandemic, we're back to normal. but for 2021, it seems to me a reasonable discussion point.

israel has a "green passport" which is basically this. if i owned a restaurant, for example, or a gym, i'd eagerly embrace this idea. there would be no reason for me to be denied the ability to provide a service to those who can prove they're vaccinated, and i think i'd get a lot of business if folks knew everyone in my establishment had been vaccinated.

what say you?

i see your point. i guess you just have to have followed all the discussions on this, including the thread on the poll. to be clear, there is no suggestion - anywhere - that there be any sort of mandate that RDs do this. the question (to me, and in the poll) is whether you'd enter a race if the RD (on his own volition) required the vaccine as a condition of entry, for now, so that he could put on a race that he would not otherwise be able to produce.

in europe, in california, in the northeast, NY, and so on, and in a lot of other countries, there are no triathlons, and there are no signs (that i can see) that triathlons will occur in the foreseeable future. however, i'm optimistic that this will change. so, perhaps the RD taking this step is moot. but a year ago i didn't think we'd still be asking ourselves, approaching may of 2021, when wide swathes of the U.S. and the world will again be able to host triathlons.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Last edited by: Slowman: Apr 11, 21 17:41
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Klaus Daimler wrote:
Slowman wrote:
Klaus Daimler wrote:
Slowman wrote:
Klaus Daimler wrote:
Vax passport.

Slowman wrote:

what say you?

I am having trouble following the plot. You mentioned a "government imperative" which you now state was not suggested. Your original post which is different than what you are representing in your reply. But whatevs. Any question that you ask that involves vax passport will receive a hard no response from me.

Klaus has definitely lost the plot. Lemme help. You said RDs should resist this requirement.

The question was should RDs make the decision to do this.

Dan was leading you on there but you didn’t get it

Hope this helps but popcorn is ready if the outcome is otherwise
Quote Reply
Re: Proof of Covid Vaccine for Tri Participation? [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ChrisM wrote:
Klaus Daimler wrote:
Slowman wrote:
Klaus Daimler wrote:
Slowman wrote:
Klaus Daimler wrote:
Vax passport.

Slowman wrote:

what say you?

Klaus has definitely lost the plot. Lemme help. You said RDs should resist this requirement.

The question was should RDs make the decision to do this.

Dan was leading you on there but you didn’t get it

Hope this helps but popcorn is ready if the outcome is otherwise

Well, you may be one of those Illuminati who can actually call out Dan on ‘stirring the pot’.

Others would risk getting banned.
Last edited by: windschatten: Apr 11, 21 21:17
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:

what say you?

The vaccine is out and available. People that want it can get it. People that don’t want it shouldn’t have to just to race. That makes it forced compliance. Is that what we are aiming to do?
Quote Reply
Re: Proof of Covid Vaccine for Tri Participation? [jharris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://
jharris wrote:
Slowman wrote:

what say you?

The vaccine is out and available. People that want it can get it.

For certain states, and despite all the triumphant success posts, this is far from the actual truth.
Snapshot:
https://www.sfgate.com/...Gate-HP-CP-Spotlight
Last edited by: windschatten: Apr 11, 21 23:54
Quote Reply
Re: Proof of Covid Vaccine for Tri Participation? [giddyup] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
giddyup wrote:
monty wrote:
people need to what is best for the community at large.

Glad you brought this up. CDC reports greater than 80% of those that were hospitalized or died were obese or overweight. For >95% of those people it is because of a lifetime of bad lifestyle choices they made. 95% of those that died had co morbidities. For healthy people, Covid 19 is >95% of the time at worst a bad flu. Chronic disease, due to lifestyle choices is responsible for 80% of health care costs.

When are those people going to start doing what's "best for the community"? Why should my business be shut down, why should I be locked down, why should I lose my freedom's because those people are using their freedom to make bad lifestyle choices which makes them more vulnerable to a virus? Why should the cost of my health insurance go up because of their bad choices? (I won't even get into how the government is complicit in providing criminally bad health information.)

Tell you what, I'll agree to a vaccine passport when we also implement a fit and healthy passport.

If you want to make the "best for the community" argument, that is opening a huge rabbit hole. Who decides what's best for the community? Sounds like China to me.

By the way, applying critical thinking and the scientific method specifically to the Covid-19 vaccines does not make one an anti vax person.
Put your figures into context!
42%+ of americans are considered obese. So, sure if 80% of those hospitalised are obese it's disproportionate to the population but it's not like that group are a small minority. Also for these figures to be useful, one would have to consider rate of obesity by age. If a larger proportion of older folks are prone to obesity, and age is also correlated with severe impact Covid-19, you may have to explain how you know obesity rather than age is at fault. Surely you'd accept it's unfair to blame people for their recklessness in getting too old?
You're part of a society. Don't be too quick to assign blame and pretend things are as simple as you'd like to imagine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is an interesting POV.
It is in the end about perspective. It just matters what we are going to establish as a status quo and the rest of us have the "freedom" to just turn our back and do something else. Seems like a great country.
There really is no precedent for adults having to prove vax and release personal health information for basic activities within our own country. Sure, for foreign travel....or if you are still in the public education system in some places.
Quote Reply
Re: Proof of Covid Vaccine for Tri Participation? [jharris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jharris wrote:
Slowman wrote:

what say you?

The vaccine is out and available. People that want it can get it. People that don’t want it shouldn’t have to just to race. That makes it forced compliance. Is that what we are aiming to do?

Some people believe it should be required. Some people don't. If you want to play the people's rights game, then a RD (as a person) should be allowed to say my race requires it, if that is what they believe, just as you should be able to say I'm not racing your race because I disagree with you. If there was only one race, you would be discriminated against, but since there are plenty, it doesn't hold water. Similar to the CO cake baker. There are other option. (Now going to sit back and get some popcorn)
Quote Reply

Prev Next