Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Proof of Covid Vaccine for Tri Participation? [velocomp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
velocomp wrote:
I think we are getting the signals crossed.

Should a race require this?
At this point if it means that the required permits from the local municipality will be granted vs denied, then yes.
If it helps with securing insurance. Yes
If it makes people feel safer and will increase participation. Yes/maybe

If this is manageable, then why not. If this becomes exclusionary, then no. If there is a secure safe way to provide proof, then why not.

Triathlons are a hobby, you don't have a right to compete. Doing this may cost races 10-15% of their revenue (losing racers) for racing. There may be added costs associated with validating proof of vaccination (Will race fees increase). In general, I doubt this will be cost effective and useful, but if it can be and the race director wants to do it, then why not. We all choose what races we participate in. Some choose Ironman. Those that don't like their (IM) policies, race elsewhere. We have choice.

At this point in the pandemic, I would say that if it is required to get permits, then 1. Is it safe to race? 2. Is the municipality just playing CYA?

Simple answer: NO! And they would be barred from doing so in Florida. Texas, Georgia, Tennessee, Missouri and Nebraska have also opposed any use of vaccine passports within their borders. I support the right of any country to require a vaccine passport to enter and will gladly get one for that purpose, especially where it eliminates the requirement for PCR testing and/or quarantine. But I strongly disagree with extending the use of vaccine passports from travel to general societal use.
Quote Reply
Re: Proof of Covid Vaccine for Tri Participation? [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
Slowman wrote:
synthetic wrote:
Slowman wrote:
i believe this is a requirement for kids to attend school, no?

NO. public schools are reopening. testing is required. some universities are planning to require it.

what i mean is, vaccines (in general) are a requirement for the attendance of public schools. are they not? maybe not. not for covid, but for smallpox, chickenpox and the like. so, the idea of a vaccine as the cost of participation is not a novel concept. but i don't have kids so i don't know. maybe your unvaccinated kid can attend school fine.

Dan - I am pro vax and will get my second shot Sunday. However, you are mixing apples and oranges in your argument by suggesting that because there are situations where an FDA approved vaccine is required (aka smallpox for schools) that it is therefore OK to require an experimental vaccine that is not FDA approved to participate in society. I received 4 of the 6 series anthrax vaccine shots when I was in the military before a federal court ruled that the Dept of Defense had no right to force military members to take experimental vaccines. That stopped the military anthrax program cold, and that's why DoD cannot/willnot FORCE its members to take any of the COVID vaccines. Further, Florida has already issued an executive order banning vaccine passports and other states are considering similar measures. The proposal for a mandatory covid vax to participate in triathlons is a non-starter.

"Pentagon leaders say they will not require their personnel to take the vaccine until the U.S. Food and Drug Administration gives its full approval of the drug. So far, the FDA has only given emergency authorization that allowed for the initial distribution of the vaccine. It could be up to two years before the full approval comes, military officials have told VOA."

i want to hear your-all's opinions on this, but i think you misunderstand my question. i'm not asking you whether it's a good idea for everyone to be forced to get a covid vaccine. i'm asking whether you think it might speed up the reopening if certain events were vaccine-only, that is would athletes and host communities feel more comfortable if all attendees were vaccinated? what constitutes proof; how that proof is translated; how it's validated; and whether this is so temporary that it's not worth the trouble; those are valid objections. but i don't see anywhere where anyone is advocating that you be wrestled down and vaccinated against your will.

as for florida, that's fine. god bless florida. it can do what it wants. i'm in california.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Proof of Covid Vaccine for Tri Participation? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I work at a mass vaccination site. Blank CDC vaccination cards are freely available to all workers. We fill out the vaccine dose and date on the cards and give the cards to patients and ask them to fill in their name and DOB when they get home. Some patients come back for their 2nd dose without their cards, so we give them another card and ask them to merge the two cards when they get home.

Those are facts. We can speculate from there what could happen, what might have happened. I don't know but can take a pretty good guess.
Quote Reply
Re: Proof of Covid Vaccine for Tri Participation? [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
really? we are out in california and they have handled it about as bad as it gets for roll out wise it seems. if you want one now, you can get one. click i have a pre existing condition and you get it. no questions asked. and no i didnt do that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
synthetic wrote:
Slowman wrote:
i believe this is a requirement for kids to attend school, no?

NO. public schools are reopening. testing is required. some universities are planning to require it.

what i mean is, vaccines (in general) are a requirement for the attendance of public schools. are they not? maybe not. not for covid, but for smallpox, chickenpox and the like. so, the idea of a vaccine as the cost of participation is not a novel concept. but i don't have kids so i don't know. maybe your unvaccinated kid can attend school fine.

How many of the vaccines you have used as an example require a annual or bi-annual "booster" shot to continue your immunity? A more reasonable comparison would be to the Flu vaccine. How many organization require participants/students/involved members to show proof they have received the Flu vaccine?

Real People. Real Coaching. Real Results. http://www.ts2coaching.com
Quote Reply
Re: Proof of Covid Vaccine for Tri Participation? [Blainyboy8] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Try getting an appointment in Harris County that fit with a full-time work schedule and public transportation.

Just because things are good where you live does not mean they are good everywhere - especially in states where officials are purposely trying to f things up.

Things are going pretty well in a lot of places. But some people have been left out. As usual.

Edit - as an anecdote - My mother lives in San Antonio Texas and has every advantage and being 75, was in one of the earliest groups to be able to get vaccinated. She has a full-time assistant trying to make online and over-the-phone reservations for her all over the state. She has an infinitely flexible schedule and transportation to anywhere she wants to go at any time. It took her almost a month to get an appointment and even that was a 90 minute drive, each way. Before that, she was seriously considering taking an appointment about a 2.5 hour drive away. Imagine a low-wage worker with 2 jobs and no car. How do they get their shot in that circumstance?

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram ā€¢ Facebook
Last edited by: RowToTri: Apr 7, 21 8:30
Quote Reply
Re: Proof of Covid Vaccine for Tri Participation? [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dilbert wrote:
I work at a mass vaccination site. Blank CDC vaccination cards are freely available to all workers. We fill out the vaccine dose and date on the cards and give the cards to patients and ask them to fill in their name and DOB when they get home. Some patients come back for their 2nd dose without their cards, so we give them another card and ask them to merge the two cards when they get home.

Those are facts. We can speculate from there what could happen, what might have happened. I don't know but can take a pretty good guess.

the problem with the vaccination cards is that - as has been pointed out earlier in the thread - you can just download the artwork, print it out, write in there what you want, and voila, proof of vaccine. so, yeah, i hear you, but i think you'd need to back that up with a stick, as in, legislation that provides for a penalty if you create false "proof" of a vaccine. afaik, there is no stick. so, an RD could (say) threaten to ban you for life. but he'd have to prove you didn't get the vaccine, which is tough in the era of HIPPA.

i have reached out to a number of places, asking what constitutes proof. i mean, we can do 1 of 2 things, and i'm undecided which. we can bag the whole idea of a covid passport, because it'll all be moot by the fall anyway; or we can do it right. and if we do it right, then we need to take this seriously which we (as far as i can tell) are not yet doing. there just is no way to get anybody in health care or industry to seriously address these questions with answers.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
Dilbert wrote:

the problem with the vaccination cards is that - as has been pointed out earlier in the thread - you can just download the artwork, print it out, write in there what you want, and voila, proof of vaccine. so, yeah, i hear you, but i think you'd need to back that up with a stick, as in, legislation that provides for a penalty if you create false "proof" of a vaccine. afaik, there is no stick. so, an RD could (say) threaten to ban you for life. but he'd have to prove you didn't get the vaccine, which is tough in the era of HIPPA.

i have reached out to a number of places, asking what constitutes proof. i mean, we can do 1 of 2 things, and i'm undecided which. we can bag the whole idea of a covid passport, because it'll all be moot by the fall anyway; or we can do it right. and if we do it right, then we need to take this seriously which we (as far as i can tell) are not yet doing. there just is no way to get anybody in health care or industry to seriously address these questions with answers.
Yes it is still utterly unclear what constitutes proof of vaccination. Let's say Canada begins to allow travel for vaccinated Americans. How would they check that? I don't know. I'm more than a little curious to see how that will play out. Most likely scenario is bureaucrats are tasked with solving that, and they just say okay let's use the CDC cards and everyone agrees and that becomes public policy. Sure there will be some concerns raised but they'd get drowned in overwhelming public support for 'opening things up'.
Quote Reply
Re: Proof of Covid Vaccine for Tri Participation? [tomljones3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What's the downside of getting a flu shot?
Quote Reply
Re: Proof of Covid Vaccine for Tri Participation? [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dilbert wrote:

You can buy blank CDC vax cards on the internet for about $20.
Quote Reply
Re: Proof of Covid Vaccine for Tri Participation? [bobo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
so i called minute clinic to see why my covid vaccine was NOT on my mychart account, and got put on eternal hold. but i'm going to push thru this, because if a vaccine passport is a possible thing, then something other than that card they give you when you get your vaccine is going to need to be required, it seems to me.

My vaccine shots, which I received at a commercial pharmacy, are listed in the claim history provided by my prescription provider, so I assume I might be able to use that as a secondary source of proof of vaccination.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Re: Proof of Covid Vaccine for Tri Participation? [null-and-void] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
null-and-void wrote:
GoJohnnyGo wrote:
I'm not necessarily pro or anti vax. The vaccine pretty much available now in the US to almost anyone who wants it for free. So why would it matter that others are vaccinated? Everyone can make their own choice.

I don't understand this logic. I personally may get the JJ vax when available but do not have the right to tell others what to do as I can protect myself if I want.

Good luck this year!

Actually, this is wrong. No, everyone doesn't make their own choices. I don't have the choice to drive drunk, I don't have the choice not to pay my taxes, and I don't have the choice to sell alcohol and tobacco to minors. And you cannot protect yourself if the rest of your community are acting like a**holes.

EDIT: But of course, you always could use your automatic weapon to protect yourself from infection. There's that.
I'm afraid you are wasting your time. If grown-ass adults do not have sufficient mental faculties to reach those conclusions when they were college age at the latest, there is no explaining it to them now. It will just get rejected out of hand.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Iā€™m sure itā€™s been said in the mountain of responses, but I donā€™t think itā€™s reasonable for races to implement for people previously registered for a race already taking place, without a reasonable amount of time for the entrant to both get the vaccine and potentially recover should there be an adverse reaction.

For instance, Iā€™m going to get the vaccine almost as soon as itā€™s available to me. Iā€™m signed up for a race on 5/15 through the deferral process. I am 39 years old and my state (weā€™ll call it South Carolina) is bungling this like they do so many other things. My wife is a teacher and received her shot, but it is not available to me until ā€œmid Mayā€, whatever that means. I know my state is not the only one like this. Itā€™d be crappy of a race organization to put a restriction on at the last minute for people in my position that really donā€™t have another option. If you want to start this process for fall races or something down the road then that is more than ok, and I support it. But not until everyone has actually had an opportunity to get vaccinated.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't like this at all. "It's a slippery slope" and all that jazz and the eye roll that comes with it.

Entering another country you aren't a citizen? Sure why not. It makes sense.

Requiring proof to participate in social events just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. We are getting to the point where almost anyone who wants a vaccine can sign up and get it. Why should we require EVERYONE be vaccinated? The ones who want vaccines can get them, so should they not feel safe? If the vaccines are doing their job, then those who choose are they not protected? Why should the government tell me what to put in my body?(We've heard that one before). Yes I'm aware this isnt the flu, but I'm not barred from being around elderly people without my flu vaccine.

To answer your question, I've had covid already, and didn't hit me all that hard. So I'm not really eager to get in line to be vaccinated because I'll admit I'm being selfish and rather not get a vaccine I feel I dont need....But IF someone decided I couldn't race without it, then I would grumpily comply and complain all the way to the doctors office.

IG - @ryanppax
http://www.geluminati.com
Use code ST5 for $5 off your order
Last edited by: Ryanppax: Apr 7, 21 9:39
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Iā€™m on the fence. While Iā€™m so not a fan of ā€œshow me your papersā€ I also acknowledge that as long as the population isnā€™t showing a low enough infection or high enough vaccine rate to be 100% normal no one is starting any races soon. At least not where I live. So if thatā€™s what it takes to boost vaccination rates and get extracurricular actually moving again thatā€™s what it takes.

I still lapped everyone on the couch!
Last edited by: Jloewe: Apr 7, 21 9:57
Quote Reply
Re: Proof of Covid Vaccine for Tri Participation? [Mark Lemmon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mark Lemmon wrote:
Slowman wrote:

so i called minute clinic to see why my covid vaccine was NOT on my mychart account, and got put on eternal hold. but i'm going to push thru this, because if a vaccine passport is a possible thing, then something other than that card they give you when you get your vaccine is going to need to be required, it seems to me.

My vaccine shots, which I received at a commercial pharmacy, are listed in the claim history provided by my prescription provider, so I assume I might be able to use that as a secondary source of proof of vaccination.

Seems people are getting hung up on the "how to prove" aspect over "whether to have to prove." I didn't read Dan's question to be "should we require it as the system exists now" but should it be required. A system has to be developed before it is implemented, i.e. right now HI is considering a vaccine passport to allow folks to avoid pre flight testing or on island quarantine. It's coming, but they are still working out the system. And I guarantee it will be more than flashing the white CDC card.

Rutgers, Brown Cornell (and one other I cannot recall) are the universities (I believe those are the ones) as of now requiring vax for in person school. This ca be figured out

And don't let perfect be the enemy of good. There will be fraud. Jonny Patriot will say "you can't tell me what to do" as he drives the speed limit, and wears a helmet, but demand to be allowed to race a tri with sone fake vaccine info. Gonna happen, but does not mean the system should not be implemented
Quote Reply
Re: Proof of Covid Vaccine for Tri Participation? [null-and-void] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
null-and-void wrote:
GoJohnnyGo wrote:
I'm not necessarily pro or anti vax. The vaccine pretty much available now in the US to almost anyone who wants it for free. So why would it matter that others are vaccinated? Everyone can make their own choice.

I don't understand this logic. I personally may get the JJ vax when available but do not have the right to tell others what to do as I can protect myself if I want.

Good luck this year!

Actually, this is wrong. No, everyone doesn't make their own choices. I don't have the choice to drive drunk, I don't have the choice not to pay my taxes, and I don't have the choice to sell alcohol and tobacco to minors. And you cannot protect yourself if the rest of your community are acting like a**holes.

EDIT: But of course, you always could use your automatic weapon to protect yourself from infection. There's that.

I canā€™t handle threads like this one, where itā€™s so painful obviously on display that personal freedom and social responsibility canā€™t be reconciled without investment into and thoughtful planning of the ā€˜greater goodā€˜. But thatā€™s difficult, so
Quote:
ā€˜canā€™t be doneā€™
Quote:

Instead we are covering up, patching (more fees/threats/discrimination) and cutting our freedom (to race) just to obtain some false sense of ā€˜safetyā€™, and then call it good.

Canā€™t take it. At least not while sober.
Iā€˜ll come back when I am drunk again.

Last edited by: windschatten: Apr 7, 21 10:39
Quote Reply
Re: Proof of Covid Vaccine for Tri Participation? [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ChrisM wrote:
You're assuming the only way to provide proof is a vax card
In NY, they just launched ( I believe the 1st state to do so) an app called Excelsior Pass which shows your vaccine data. Eliminates the need to carry the card

This pass can to be used to enter establishments/venues that are requiring proof of vaccination (the NYC arenas/stadiums, off the top of my head)
Quote Reply
Re: Proof of Covid Vaccine for Tri Participation? [SayHey Kid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SayHey Kid wrote:
ChrisM wrote:

In NY, they just launched ( I believe the 1st state to do so) an app called Excelsior Pass which shows your vaccine data. Eliminates the need to carry the card

This pass can to be used to enter establishments/venues that are requiring proof of vaccination (the NYC arenas/stadiums, off the top of my head)

LA County, I have a digital vaccination record by a platform called Healthvana, requires a secure log in. My record is saved as a pdf and in my apple wallet. Wasn't something I asked for, was just sent to me, Has my mfg and dates.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ChrisM wrote:
SayHey Kid wrote:
ChrisM wrote:

LA County, I have a digital vaccination record by a platform called Healthvana, requires a secure log in. My record is saved as a pdf and in my apple wallet. Wasn't something I asked for, was just sent to me, Has my mfg and dates.

i established an online account with CVS, where i got my vaccine, and the vaccine shot populated on my account immediately. note: this does not show up on your mychart account, associated with minuteclinic (wholly owned by CVS). my covid tests show up on my minuteclinic account, and my covid vaccine shows up on my CVS account.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe check out the Healthvana site, create an account and see if your info is available there? No idea if it's solely an LA County vax site thing, where I went. It was very confusing, LA County and City running different ops and sites.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It seems the only solution to vaccine card fraud is.... A microchip!
Quote Reply
Re: Proof of Covid Vaccine for Tri Participation? [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
It seems the only solution to vaccine card fraud is.... A microchip!

Well it's included in the vax, so just scan me like a cat
Quote Reply

Prev Next