Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: What’s going on with Specialized athletes? [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:

So I think it's important to note that there is always 2 sides to the discussion. Colin Kapernick before the whole long term exile, was given I believe 2 different NFL contracts.....he just balked at the money he was going to be offered and didn't sign to stay in the NFL, and that was while he was still an 49er's...this wasn't the whole "black ball" period. So there's always 2 sides of the story and it's not *always* the company being the big bad corporation who ends up ending contracts.

So the idea he was blackballed is incorrect. I'm not going to get into this deeply because it ties into the discussion of you're only worth what someone is willing to pay you. During the "blackballed period" he worked out for several teams. I followed this intently. Many of the teams he worked out for after he had opted out of his contract with the 49ers (yes he could have still been cut and they likely would have done so, but they owed him guaranteed money) were interested in him, but only at back up money. They didn't want him as a starter, which is what he wanted the chance of. There's plenty of layers to that onion.

But both cases likely come down to how much money the team/sponsor is willing to pay you and do you think that is what you're worth?

However, this is gonna be real funny if Lucy Charles ends up on a Felt.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: What’s going on with Specialized athletes? [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So I believe I read that Gomez is still an Specialized athlete, and so I think it is just showing you what the value is to Specialized. Gomez is racing all around short course and LC events, showcasing the best road and tri bikes, vs another athlete of Specialize is *only* doing LC racing. I think in the current climate more than ever, athletes have to showcase the "value" they are receiving in many industries. Read the comments on what the Shiv's value/perception is from consumers on this thread, and it's easy to see that the "tri" athlete was the big contract that cut/not renewed/ended (who ended it and why, we dont know specifically). I would be curious to know Vincent Luis's status as he's currently probaly the most famous triathlete in the world currently, even ahead of Gomez I would think *right now*.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you notice I put "black ball" in quotes because the NFL has even said this year they did Kapernick "wrong". But I dont want to go into detail on that, my point being......if an athlete views his value as something else than what he's being offered, said athlete can be the one to end the relationship. That was my point, you basically confirmed that.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
However, this is gonna be real funny if Lucy Charles ends up on a Felt.

-----

why? Inferior company?

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:

why? Inferior company?

Nope.

Just if the athletes that left Felt and Specialized just end up flip flopping it's just a recycling of current athletes and not bringing anyone else through.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gotcha, I guess I laugh that threads like this always seemingly overwhelmingly majority of the time put the "blame" on the companies vs the athletes in contract talks. There are so many layers to contracts and such.

I'm guessing many companies bring in "new" athletes every year, they just dont get the same level of exposure that the "face" of the companies get (and also likely waaaay less money too etc).

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Whilst highly unlikely, I'd love to see full disclosure of pro triathlete contracts much like other pro athletes. Imagine the basting that athletes would get on this forum if the peanut gallery could critique an athletes self value, and likewise what a company is paying or not willing to pay a certain athlete.
Quote Reply
Re: What’s going on with Specialized athletes? [Fletch_boy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I dont think I want to know just how little pro triathletes are making beyond the prize purses. For sure there are a very very few who are the "total package", but for even the majority of the top 20 ITU and LC athletes in the world, I wouldn't be shocked to recognize just how little money they are making.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:

Well, Amberger is clearly cheaper. But he is not younger.

Lucy Charles-27

Insta- 339k Followers
Twitter- 24.2k Followers
Facebook- 83k Followers
Youtube- 37.4k Subscribers

Josh Amberger-31

Insta- 45.1k Followers
Twitter- 7k Followers
Facebook- 7.6k Followers
Youtube- 317 Subscribers

And comparing this to ESPN isn't apples to apples at all. ESPN over inflated the industry and then went a certain way, some of their younger and highest rated talent already jumped ship as ESPN retained a certain POV. ESPN is struggling for its own soul as the worldwide leader.

I'm just trying to figure this out, is Specialized going to sponsor a bunch of smaller reaching but cheaper contracts to get back to the same activation?

I find Josh pretty hilarious, guess he decided to do a launch video. I wouldn't really call it a youtube channel but rather than an account...but I'm guessing this video was made weeks ago before Lucy and Specialized ended their relationship or he didn't know. Since she's mentioned at 3:13.

Yo, the Jerry Maguire of the ST board!

Perhaps I would consider your analysis rather parochial, but I'm very glad you liked the video :)

http://www.josh-amberger.com/
Quote Reply
Re: What’s going on with Specialized athletes? [Sub12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sub12 wrote:
With the best intro Video ever on their social page. Man I love how laid back Josh is.

Thank you for the kind words.

It was interesting to follow along with this thread!

http://www.josh-amberger.com/
Quote Reply
Re: What’s going on with Specialized athletes? [hey_burgs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I mean, I'm a big fan, legit read or watch all your race reports, so more content please?

________

ETA: Not about this specifically but more with general sponsorship. I saw a former Bachelor Contestant just had a sponsored post with Hoka One One. For that one post they probably could have paid a professional athlete a full yearly stipend.

Last edited by: TheStroBro: Jan 1, 21 19:45
Quote Reply
Re: What’s going on with Specialized athletes? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Emma Pallant to Specialized
Quote Reply
Re: What’s going on with Specialized athletes? [SheTries] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I saw this, and she talks about a team; specialized building something in terms of a team like BMC have?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you for the Sworks joke. I used to go up to people on bling Specialized bikes and ask them if Sworks was an open mold company for fun. Awesome that a sponsored athlete threw it out there.

Quote Reply
Re: What’s going on with Specialized athletes? [TommyBTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Georgia Taylor Brown as well; obviously want to make sure whoever wins the olympics triathlon is riding a specialized, can see the logic behind that to be fair!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Best video ever! Hillarious
Liked the khaki landscaping kit, maybe Wattie can design one with some eucalyptus trees on it
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Huge fan Josh. Keep putting out excellent content.
Quote Reply
Re: What’s going on with Specialized athletes? [TommyBTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TommyBTri wrote:
I saw this, and she talks about a team; specialized building something in terms of a team like BMC have?

Might be she was talking about her team around her. She often talks about “the team works, the dream works”

Looks like she is staying with HOKA as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What would be interesting is understand the demographics of the followers for each and how they align with Specialized’s marketing strategy. Someone could have more followers but if half of those followers aren’t the demographic that specialize is marketing towards then maybe it’s not worth the price tag.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That video is dead set hilarious. Love your stuff, keep being you!
Quote Reply
Re: What’s going on with Specialized athletes? [captainolek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lucy mentioned in her IG post that they took a punt on her in 2017 and signed her to a contract after she did well in Kona. If she’s been on the same contract since the. It’s likely it wasn’t huge. So maybe she’s moved to someone who’s offering more coin?

Broaden posted about leaving them the other day as well and said it was his choice to move on from them. Interesting to see where he ends up.

Lastly, our local athlete Hannah Wells has moved to Trek from a giant and is also moving on from both Under Armour and De Boer wetsuits. She mentioned she’s moving to a brand that’s active in both the swim and run space - I wonder who that could be?
Quote Reply
Re: What’s going on with Specialized athletes? [captainolek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think triathletes are giving themselves more value with their youtube content and the PTO is creating a new value standard. They have more leverage with negotiations than previous years. It looks like Paula is in the drivers seat and Trek probably didn't offer her the money she wanted. It is likely Lucy is in the same boat as she is very marketable. Paula and Lucy have results plus content that can be VERY valuable to sponsors. Characters like Lionel, Sam Long, and Wurf sell controversy which is very marketable.....However, Josh and someone like Sebi are not polarizing but very very likeable. I actually enjoy their content the most. I believe most triathletes are offered a renewal contract based on what the sponsor feels they are valued. Then that contract is signed or rejected based on how that person feels they are valued. If the number is too low, they reject and shop around.

I am looking forward to seeing who Paula picks. I believe she has companies outbidding each other.
Quote Reply
Re: What’s going on with Specialized athletes? [Jimbotri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jimbotri wrote:
I think triathletes are giving themselves more value with their youtube content and the PTO is creating a new value standard. They have more leverage with negotiations than previous years. It looks like Paula is in the drivers seat and Trek probably didn't offer her the money she wanted. It is likely Lucy is in the same boat as she is very marketable. Paula and Lucy have results plus content that can be VERY valuable to sponsors. Characters like Lionel, Sam Long, and Wurf sell controversy which is very marketable.....However, Josh and someone like Sebi are not polarizing but very very likeable. I actually enjoy their content the most. I believe most triathletes are offered a renewal contract based on what the sponsor feels they are valued. Then that contract is signed or rejected based on how that person feels they are valued. If the number is too low, they reject and shop around.

I am looking forward to seeing who Paula picks. I believe she has companies outbidding each other.

I thought it was interesting Paula wore a Trek hat in their video this week. She's been in the TTL stuff a LOT but wore the hat - might be nothing but I think that Trek is probably seriously considering paying the money - they've done it with Holly and probably with Linsey Corbin - and while they got away with a lesser deal they are possibly responding to what offers that Paula is receiving. Heck - Holly wasn't on Trek when she won the world title in 2016...so they WILL pay if they see the value and it is there with Paula I would assume.

It's very interesting this time of the year for sure!

DFRU - Detta Family Racing Unit...the kids like it and we all get out and after it...gotta keep the fam involved!
Quote Reply
Re: What’s going on with Specialized athletes? [dfru] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, the sponsors were VERY prominent in this weeks TTL video. Lots of Castelli/Argon/Rolf airtime for Eric, and Paula swapping her typical TTL hat for a Trek one (and still on her Trek). Even Flynn (the dog) now has a sponsor. Given the date, I'd assume those are their sponsors for 2021....but we'll see.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: What’s going on with Specialized athletes? [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Then I checked Trek's triathlon site - still Holly, Linsey and Ellie Salthouse, so the plot thickens!

DFRU - Detta Family Racing Unit...the kids like it and we all get out and after it...gotta keep the fam involved!
Quote Reply

Prev Next