Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: IM Maryland roll call [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Instead of starting a new thread I'll just keep this one going

Who is racing on the 28th - 11 days from now? Any general tips/tricks for the course?

I am trying to redeem myself from a disastrous IM Cork in June and experimenting with some slightly lower-volume, higher-intensity training.

For those that modeled their ride on BBS - how did it compare to your final bike split? My predicted time seems a bit fast and I'm wondering if the wind out there on the course slows you down more than the model expects.

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: IM Maryland roll call [sch340] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I actually rode the course on Sunday with about 8-10 mph wind out of the NW. BBS has me under 5 hours at my goal power. IMO that is WAY too optimistic. I rode it in 5.5 hours on Sunday and expect I'll be around 5:15 on race day if the conditions are similar.

President Team FeXY
http://www.teamfexy.org
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They changed our bike course the day before the race last year (and I didn't hit goal power), so never really compared to predicted. But I just went and ran BBS simulation of last years race and compared to my file. BBS showing about 5 mins faster than I actually went (4:42:10 on 205/208).

Do you have the free version of BBS? I do and I think that's where the issue comes from. The wind was minimal at the start of the ride, but picked up pretty good by the end. I think the free version just uses the start conditions.

Tips for this course are be able to stay in aero position continuously for 4.5-5 hrs. It's a lot harder than you'd think. I know you ride on the trainer for most of your riding. Hopefully you can do that in aero (I cannot).
Quote Reply
Re: IM Maryland roll call [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ah, gotcha. So the times from last year aren't really comparable to this year's course?

I have the premium version of BBS with advanced weather... I tried standard weather and it gave me 4 minutes faster to an already unrealistic (IMO) time! The advanced weather from last year's date showed 5-6mph winds in the middle of the bike and 8-9mph later, which definitely caused a bit of a slowdown in the model.

Typically on the trainer I'll spend 90-95% in aero and stretch every once in a while. It's definitely harder when riding outdoors especially with a helmet weighing down my neck.

Good luck in Kona man! Hope you're feeling ready to go!

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ll be there, on the other side of the finish line this time (until I cross through it under my own power)!

Level II USAT Coach | Level 3 USAC Coach | NASM-CPT
Team Zoot | Tailwind Trailblazer
I can tell you why you're sick, I just can't write you an Rx
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The RD is already looking at using your bike course as the goahead route, because maple dam road has been flooding for the better part of a month now.

Quote Reply
Re: IM Maryland roll call [Dr_Cupcake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good luck!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
According to the map on ironman.com, the bike course is completely different this year for you than it's been in the past (though is sounds like you may end up with the same course we did).

The whole area is all flat though, so who knows how comparable. Previously it's always been a clockwise loop you did twice, looks like y'all have a couple out and backs you do twice this year. I guess direction of travel late in the bike when the winds pick up would make the most difference, but generally both should be heading back north to the bike finish.

And thanks! Certainly not going to be my best race but I aim to have a lot of fun. Been dealing with an achilles issue for 2 months now and haven't run farther than 7 miles in that time. But I was only planning on this being a victory lap anyway so not too upset about it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you! Not sure what kind of day I’m in for aside for a long one, lol. Looking like similar weather to what you had last year.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dang, sorry to hear that! You'll have a great time regardless. Just make sure you beat my broken-foot marathon time of 5:02 from last year :)

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ha! That's right! I will definitely keep that time in mind ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am racing. thanks Sean for the advice last week on strava. Hoping to punch my ticket, but its probably a long shot.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sean H wrote:
According to the map on ironman.com, the bike course is completely different this year for you than it's been in the past (though is sounds like you may end up with the same course we did).

The whole area is all flat though, so who knows how comparable. Previously it's always been a clockwise loop you did twice, looks like y'all have a couple out and backs you do twice this year. I guess direction of travel late in the bike when the winds pick up would make the most difference, but generally both should be heading back north to the bike finish.

And thanks! Certainly not going to be my best race but I aim to have a lot of fun. Been dealing with an achilles issue for 2 months now and haven't run farther than 7 miles in that time. But I was only planning on this being a victory lap anyway so not too upset about it.

Out and backs? Is there a different map out there other than the one here?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ran the 2018 course on BBS and result was almost exactly the same - so I imagine it doesn't really matter much where you ride - it's all flat!

On a different subject - does anyone know of a pool or masters team in the area that would accept drop-ins on Thursday and/or Friday? Just looking for 30 minutes of tune-up but search has come up fairly empty.

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: IM Maryland roll call [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
anyone has thoughts about water temperature?
Quote Reply
Re: IM Maryland roll call [dgutstadt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dgutstadt wrote:
anyone has thoughts about water temperature?

Looking like we'll be wetsuit legal. We're at 76 right now.

https://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/...ge.php?station=camm2

Supposed to warm up a bit next week then hopefully taper off again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sch340 wrote:
Who is racing on the 28th - 11 days from now?

I'll be there. First full. Just shooting to finish.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last year when I did this race we just went and did swims at the event site nice to acclimate to the water anyways.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Maryland roll call [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:
Last year when I did this race we just went and did swims at the event site nice to acclimate to the water anyways.

Is the swim course open prior to race day? Any jellyfish concerns?

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: IM Maryland roll call [reefblastbody] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One of the volunteer leaders on site has measured temp at the swim start at Gerry Boyle Park the last couple of days, I believe it was 72ish F this morning. Temp is supposed to warm up a bit Sunday and Monday, but then drop again middle of next week (but not much). Latest race day shows sunny and high of 85 with light winds, of course, still a long way till race day (in weather terms). Swam in swim skin this morning just in case.
Quote Reply

Prev Next