Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: IM Maryland roll call [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
#555 white castelli top, black castelli shorts with green around the thigh cuffs
Quote Reply
Re: IM Maryland roll call [FuzzyRunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks like a great day ahead of us. Good luck to everyone!
Quote Reply
Re: IM Maryland roll call [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So how did everyone do yesterday? Couldn't have asked for a better day!

How are the legs today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Didn’t have the day I was hoping for, but still battled my way to 4th AG, although 2 guys passed me in the last 2 miles. But got lucky with a roll down! Beyond pumped!

Weather must have been too cool for me on the bike, puked my guts out 1.5 miles into the run. Guess I drank too much. It came out of nowhere too, stomach felt fine although I was having some pain in my bowels that resulted in a pit stop later.

Legs are destroyed today (was cramping bad from mile 20ish). Could barely walk after the race yesterday.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FuzzyRunner wrote:
So how did everyone do yesterday? Couldn't have asked for a better day!

How are the legs today?

Great race but I turned into a total dumpster Fire On The Run. With the wind and everything I tried to hold back on the ride felt good thought I would have a solid run then completely s*** the bed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats to everyone who put it all out there yesterday!

I had a fantastic view of the race from about 20 feet on the other side of the IM Arch, as a catcher. Some basic observations:

1. The winner of the race looked like he had just finished his warmup. I mean. Just. How.

2. It was almost as if the fast swimmers and bikers got punished by the hot temps and sun on the run. Everyone from Sean H through about an hour and a half later came through in ROUGH shape. Full out collapses, cramping abound, some people who had zero idea what their names were and just had their robot code in their brains to get to their morning bags and get a chocolate milk. But after that, when the brunt of the heat of the day was past on the run? TONS of people came through chipper, happy, and pumped. 10:30-12hr finish times seemed to be a sweet spot.

3. Even with that, there weren't too many trips to the Medic tent with athletes. That was a huge relief, especially with the medics growing concerned with the rising temps in the afternoon.

4. KV Switzer said "If you are losing faith in human nature, go out and watch a marathon", but I challenge that with "If you want to see the pinnacle of human accomplishment, go out and watch an Ironman". I witnessed so many triumphs yesterday, from athletes nailing PRs, to grabbing medals out of volunteer hands to have their toddlers medal them, to some of the most emotional embraces I've ever seen or experienced, to some incredible sobs of relief. To have an athlete give their last ounce of energy to you to have you catch them is pretty amazing and humbling. Lots of red bracelets and thank yous were given, but I maintain that you all did the hard work yesterday, and it was an honor to help you out when you needed it.

Level II USAT Coach | Level 3 USAC Coach | NASM-CPT
Team Zoot | Tailwind Trailblazer
I can tell you why you're sick, I just can't write you an Rx
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats man!! That is awesome! I saw a few pukers on the run.

Yea it was a little cooler than I was used to. I had to stop 2-3 times to pee during the ride.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sean, I am so excited for you!!! I was volunteering with a couple of friends on the run course and we all thought you looked SO super strong each time we saw you (3x on the run), but then we saw you (or thought we did) on one of the golf carts setting up the lights and we were so concerned that maybe you didn’t finish! I am so so glad to hear you’re headed to Kona! Congrats!!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome!!!
Quote Reply
Re: IM Maryland roll call [Dr_Cupcake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dr_Cupcake wrote:

2. It was almost as if the fast swimmers and bikers got punished by the hot temps and sun on the run. Everyone from Sean H through about an hour and a half later came through in ROUGH shape. Full out collapses, cramping abound, some people who had zero idea what their names were and just had their robot code in their brains to get to their morning bags and get a chocolate milk.

Count me among this group. Had far short of the day I wanted but mananged to salvage a fair amount of it on the run. Cramping and nausea all day but kept clicking off the miles on the run somehow or another. Went straight to the medical tent for about 45 minutes (and was surprised how lonely I was in there by the end of it). Cant overstate how awesome the medical personnel and finish line volunteers were yesterday - As well as many excellent volunteers before and during the race.

Felt like death yesterday but of course by the time the awards ceremony wrapped up this morning I was pretty amped for the next one. That’s how it seems to go! Congrats to everyone who finished yesterday

Me: https://carnivoreendurance.blogspot.com/...ever-comes-next.html

Latest: Colorectal Cancer is in the News Again. Don't Blame Red Meat
https://carnivoreendurance.blogspot.com/...news-again-dont.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you!!!
Quote Reply
Re: IM Maryland roll call [AnnRB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks so much Ann!! If you saw me 3 times you must have been by the turnaround by the finish? I was definitely super strong through the first two times, but the third time I felt like I was running straight legged to try and keep my hamstring from cramping again.

Yes that was me in that buggy!! 😂 That sweet volunteer agreed to drive me out to our car because I couldn’t really walk. All of you volunteers were amazing today, can’t thank y’all enough.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Maryland roll call [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks man!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Solid day, didn’t get the sub-10 I was going for but got a IM PR out of it by keeping my wits about me and making good decisions during the marathon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I knew my swim was going to be slow but not as slow as it went had a solid bike split for me and then a good slow run due to the hot wetaher
Happy with my 10:54
Congrats to Sean H on a great race after training really hard for it.
and this "It was almost as if the fast swimmers and bikers got punished by the hot temps and sun on the run. Everyone from Sean H through about an hour and a half later came through in ROUGH shape. Full out collapses, cramping abound, some people who had zero idea what their names were and just had their robot code in their brains to get to their morning bags and get a chocolate milk"
The sun and the exposed run got to a lot of people out there
Quote Reply
Re: IM Maryland roll call [Erictri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks! Congrats on your race!

What did people have for the swim that wore watches? I didn’t wear mine and was quite a bit slower than I was expecting.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sean H wrote:

What did people have for the swim that wore watches? I didn’t wear mine and was quite a bit slower than I was expecting.

I forgot to turn my watch on before the swim and felt like I had a terrible swim but my time was as expected so I don't know what the hell to think. I could not get a lane and had calf cramp set in on the second lap that caused me to pull up a couple times
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mine gave 4000 meters but I have seen people 4200 and 4300 meters.
Since I was slow apparently I make sure to at least navigate properly.
because of the current this is normally a slow swim and I doubt any one will get the proper distance on their watches
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It was a beautiful morning to be in the water and on the road. My swim and bike went mostly to plan. Run began on plan but HR started to climb. Heat played a part. I tried to hold by pace, but that obviously only worked for so long before I was forced to slow down. Should have listened to body and paced better. But was able to rally at the end to just break 11 hours. Given it was my first IM (and first marathon), happy to have not blown up. Much of that is thanks to knowledge gained here. And I'm now better prepared for next time. (bib 196)

Really impressed with the volunteers and enthusiasm of the town. Extremely nice people.

Congrats Sean H on your KQ; has to be an amazing feeling! My watch had me at 4200m for the swim. But that might speak more to my sighting.

tricalculator.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sean H wrote:

The swim in the Choptank is highly current dependent and hard to predict. This year seemed to be slow. I have a couple friends who are normally 54-55 min swimmers who swam 58 and 59.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My Garmin had 4381 yards.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My Garmin had 4385. Aside from thinking a woman in a boat wearing a yellow slicker was a buoy for ten strokes I was pretty much swimming straight. Congrats on a great race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yea I'm not much of a swimmer but I have been pretty consistent through all my races. I'm usually right around 1:20 for IM and 40 for HIM. I was 1:27 this year which seemed very slow considering nothing really has changed for me in my swim training. I have a friend who posted for swim on Strava. She looked decently consistent around the course but her watch is showing 4.5k yrds.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don’t bother with a watch for the swim but I swam a 1:04 having swum 60 minutes in an IM swim a couple of months ago.

Either marginally long, currents or some combination of the two probably.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Maryland roll call [JulianM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I ended up missing the turn on the first lap and had to back track, I was with a few others. I estimate it added 10-12 minutes to my swim. It kinda shot my day from the start. As soon as I came to grips that any chance of a kona slot was out the window I decided to back off a little and enjoy the day with a no pressure bike/run. I did get to see the front of race coming back the out and back section and throughout the day I ended up passing I would guess 150-200 bikes. I did not see one draft pack or anyone sucking wheel. Everyone seemed to be riding very clean (not to be confused with riding safe) Even with the swim error it turned out to be a great race, the weather was perfect, the volunteers were awesome. I have never done the same IM twice but this will definitely be one to think about next year. Congratulations to everyone
Quote Reply

Prev Next