Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The Nike Vaporfly 4% Really Is 4% "Faster"! [s13tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does the size of the Vaporfly 4% correspond to the Turbo sizing? I have a pair of Turbos and am tempted to try the 4% but trying to figure out the size. I also have a pair of Zoom Fly Flyknit, and I found for those I had to go a half size down from the Turbos.
Quote Reply
Re: The Nike Vaporfly 4% Really Is 4% "Faster"! [Pyrenean Wolf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pyrenean Wolf wrote:
The shoe is massively unstable at heel, on the inside. If you are an overpronator, forget it. It will destroy your posterior tibialis in a few runs.

This is why I decided to go with the ZoomFly Flyknit! Seems to be built to last longer than 4%, too.

Would recommend anyone on the fence due to the issues mentioned above try it out.
Quote Reply
Re: The Nike Vaporfly 4% Really Is 4% "Faster"! [dktxracer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dktxracer wrote:
Does the size of the Vaporfly 4% correspond to the Turbo sizing? I have a pair of Turbos and am tempted to try the 4% but trying to figure out the size. I also have a pair of Zoom Fly Flyknit, and I found for those I had to go a half size down from the Turbos.

I have the current generation Vaporfly 4% (coral/orange) and the Zoom Flyknit. I find the 4% to be about 1/4 size smaller than the Zoom Flyknit. I have a minimalist orthotic (Icebug slim) that I wear in the Flyknit, but it won't quite fit in the same size Vaporfly 4%.

In the Zoom Flyknit I'm a 9.5, and in the Vaporfly 4% I can wear 9.5 or 10, with the 9.5 being pretty snug (5k or 10k shoe) and the 10 allowing a slightly thicker sock for cold days or a minimalist orthotic for a longer race. First race in them (13.1) will be Sunday.

<The Dew Abides>
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
s13tx wrote:

Do you see the black rubber at the bottom of the sole? That rubber is wearing out in the corner after about 30 miles of run on the pavement.
It happened to my female friend and she's about 97lb.
Mine has about 16 miles on the pavement on the 6 miles on the treadmill.
I've heard serious runners stocking up these shoes, so if you are a serious runner, get an extra pair for sure.

Try Shoe Goo

Its a hell of a lot cheaper than a new pair of Vaporflys
Last edited by: JoeO: Jan 18, 19 18:50
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
s13tx wrote:
I got a pair last week, so here's my review on Vaporfly 4%. I'm not an expert, so I will just say what I feel about these shoes.

I heard people buy one size up for the old version, but new ones fit perfectly true to the size. If you have wider feet, you might feel these are too tight for you.
They are really light although they have thick cushions.

Ran total 12 miles so far and OMG!! They are incredible.

This about sums it up. I have worn them in three races, won two of them.

The only thing I will add is these are very squishy when cornering hard; I assume this is a big part of the carbon plate, it is needed for stability because the foam is so soft.

All that being said, these are really expensive, you probably don't want them. Do you really really want to be that guy, in those shoes, winning the race;)
Quote Reply
Re: The Nike Vaporfly 4% Really Is 4% "Faster"! [nbrowne1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I absolutely love my Vaporfly's. Was a bit scared to buy them because of their price tag vs expected shoe life.
Glad I got mine, first day out of the box I ran and PRd a 10k. I did start training a bit more but basically all my races in them were PRs.

When they got to about 500 miles and all the rear black contacts where still intact, decided to run in them until i lost a contact patch.
Well yesterday I finally lost the rear contact patch on my left shoe, crazy thing is that I think I could of gotten more out of them but I hit a root which seperated the center rear contact patch from the foam.
This happened during my second 110+ mile trail ultra in the last 3 weeks. They felt incredible on both my trail 100 milers.

Total mileage on my vaporfly 4% is 1253 miles (and bought them slightly used on eBay). Best shoe ever
Quote Reply
Re: The Nike Vaporfly 4% Really Is 4% "Faster"! [dualsport] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did a 20,1 km race in 1:23:51 yesterday: extrapolated that‘s 1:28 on a HM. I am definately not capable on other shoes to do a sub 1.30 HM: last year on a fast course I did 1.31 with which I was very happy. Yesterday the course was not slow but not really fast either: 8 small climbs on bridges.

So 3 minutes faster: I’m sorry but that‘s 4%.

I am a heel runner, so I think the shoe is particularly generous to me.

Crazy, feel 35 years younger, was racing with people I normally see only at the start.
Quote Reply
Re: The Nike Vaporfly 4% Really Is 4% "Faster"! [JoeO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JoeO wrote:
s13tx wrote:

Do you see the black rubber at the bottom of the sole? That rubber is wearing out in the corner after about 30 miles of run on the pavement.
It happened to my female friend and she's about 97lb.
Mine has about 16 miles on the pavement on the 6 miles on the treadmill.
I've heard serious runners stocking up these shoes, so if you are a serious runner, get an extra pair for sure.

Try Shoe Goo

Its a hell of a lot cheaper than a new pair of Vaporflys

Nice- ordered some, thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: The Nike Vaporfly 4% Really Is 4% "Faster"! [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
it looks like the women podium in SA was 3/3 vaporfly 4%, while the men's podium was 2/3 today.
placebo or not, the pro's believe there is something to get from using it and even prepared to forfeit sponsorship $ to run in the vaporfly.
Quote Reply
Re: The Nike Vaporfly 4% Really Is 4% "Faster"! [mammamia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mammamia wrote:
it looks like the women podium in SA was 3/3 vaporfly 4%, while the men's podium was 2/3 today.
placebo or not, the pro's believe there is something to get from using it and even prepared to forfeit sponsorship $ to run in the vaporfly.

I actually run slower in the Vaporfly 4%. Faster in the Speed Rival 6 (some consider a mid-level race shoe). I feel way better in the SR 6 as well. Last year I've won multiple races overall in the Speed Rival 6 & not so with the VF 4%. Totally counters what the hype is all about. I'm not seeing it...or experiencing it for that matter. It's bally-hoo.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I doubt they're forfeiting sponsor money.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I only got a glance as Hoffman put on his shoes but the colour made me think it was the Pegasus Turbo? Looked like these but I could be wrong.

https://www.misterrunning.com/en/nike-zoom-pegasus-turbo-mens-running-shoes-black-fluo-green-aj4114-004.html
Quote Reply
Re: The Nike Vaporfly 4% Really Is 4% "Faster"! [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BigBoyND wrote:
Nike claims 4% increase in running economy, not speed. There's a huge difference.

I find holding a fast pace to be significantly easier in the 4% than any other shoes including my Turbo. I don't heel strike nor do any of the top athletes who race in them. The carbon plate helps on pushoff.

Yeah 6:30 pace for me just running around training in 4% feels like the same effort I put into my Brooks Ghost 10s at 7:30 pace ... I find a very large advantage in them, even in training. I did 2mi of speed testing in them the other day in intervals at 4:47 pace average. They seemed to hold up well at that speed for me as well. I haven't run a race in them yet.

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Re: The Nike Vaporfly 4% Really Is 4% "Faster"! [Rocky M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rocky M wrote:
mammamia wrote:

I actually run slower in the Vaporfly 4%. Faster in the Speed Rival 6 (some consider a mid-level race shoe). I feel way better in the SR 6 as well. Last year I've won multiple races overall in the Speed Rival 6 & not so with the VF 4%. Totally counters what the hype is all about. I'm not seeing it...or experiencing it for that matter. It's bally-hoo.

ok 1 person, NYT already showed it works using large amounts of strava data. However, I am happy for you that you can save like $180 on shoes.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: The Nike Vaporfly 4% Really Is 4% "Faster"! [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mammamia wrote:

[/quote]
The jury's out with me. I did an Ironman in Dec and they were OK. I'll race a 70.3 in them in 4 weeks, but TBH I'm not feeling the love. The last few seasons I raced in Asics Hyperspeeds and they felt much faster, the 4% feel a bit odd, the way the heel collapses. I would imagine they are just as quick as my Hyperspeeds, but they just don't feel quick, perhaps because of the additional cushioning. They are also the first shoe I've run in that I've got blisters. I normally run without socks and no problems, I wore socks with the 4%s and got heel blisters, luckily only in the last few kms of Ironman. I'll persist with them, but it's not been a shoe I've loved to run in, irrespective of how fast it is.
Quote Reply
Re: The Nike Vaporfly 4% Really Is 4% "Faster"! [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't feel the collapsing unless I'm walking or heel striking. Could it be because you heel strike? The front of the shoe feels relatively firm because the carbon plate spreads out the foam compression
Quote Reply
Re: The Nike Vaporfly 4% Really Is 4% "Faster"! [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I ran a half marathon in them two weeks ago and was 3 sec/mile slower (6:08 vs 6:05) off a PR I set six years ago when I was definitely in better shape. Fitness is decent now, but I think I can probably attribute a bit of time to the shoes. I look forward to using them for a tri races in a couple of months.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Re: The Nike Vaporfly 4% Really Is 4% "Faster"! [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I used them for a 5k a couple weeks ago, when I was sick and felt like crap. Definitely felt like I ran faster than I should have. About the only time I felt kinda good was on a couple short hills, but it definitely feels different on the hills. It feels like your foot is rebounding and pushing you up faster.
Quote Reply
Re: The Nike Vaporfly 4% Really Is 4% "Faster"! [Grant.Reuter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
just used them for a 10 miler - am in good shape and was expecting to PR, but crushed all of my previous records. crushed them. Insane shoe.
Quote Reply
Re: The Nike Vaporfly 4% Really Is 4% "Faster"! [triczyk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How many miles would you recommend putting on them before a big race (IM/70.3)? I bought a pair of the Flyknit's to see if I like them and after only 1 long run I'm convinced I want to get the 4%'s for my first IM this summer. As a 175 lb runner having read a lot about the short useful life of these shoes, I'm wondering what others have done before the shoe starts feeling flat.
Quote Reply
Re: The Nike Vaporfly 4% Really Is 4% "Faster"! [TXAgeGrouper] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TXAgeGrouper wrote:
How many miles would you recommend putting on them before a big race (IM/70.3)? I bought a pair of the Flyknit's to see if I like them and after only 1 long run I'm convinced I want to get the 4%'s for my first IM this summer. As a 175 lb runner having read a lot about the short useful life of these shoes, I'm wondering what others have done before the shoe starts feeling flat.

I did a 2 mile jog in them a few days before the race. Will only race in them going forward. Compared to my Altras, I feel like I put a turbo-kit in the ole' engine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TXAgeGrouper wrote:

I am 191lbs currently and am also concerned about the pounds per square inch of pressure I am putting on the shoes versus their standard wear life.

I've heard it is only a couple hundred miles, but have seen some athletes pushing the shoes to high triple digits or four digits in mileage.

The shoes cost me $290 or so to buy on StockX in an 11.5. They were very hard for me to get. I only plan on having them as race shoes for a 70.3 on Sunday then Boulder 140.6 this summer. I'm not baller enough to train in a pair and have a race pair.

I also don't train that much in them as I am mainly saving them for racing. I tried them on and seemed to 'click' with the shoes pretty quick to understand the biomechanics of the shoe, so looking forward to racing in them as they seem to be quite fun/fast in training. I really don't run that much though with only 28.4mi this year total. 6.2mi on the 4%s.

I might try to cut from 191 to 181 or so this week to maybe get some good run splits in the race. PR pace is at 8:XX, but would like low 7:XX or high 6:XX this 70.3 on 4/14/19. I'm fairly lean already (six pack), but want to be competitive this race and try to podium, which seems damn near pro in my age group (M35-39). Planning on going from a 5:59 70.3 last fall to 4:50 or 4:40 or lower..... who knows.

I think my last bike avg was 19.X and looking to get 22.X - 23.X+ this time. So coming to the run, I could bonk it or put out for a good time for me.

I have put in a lot of hours on the bike, so the 4%'s seem like the perfect ending to the race. I wore flyknits in my last couple of races, but flyknit Mariahs.

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Last edited by: plant_based: Apr 8, 19 8:57
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TXAgeGrouper wrote:

I just tested them once in a training before doing a 20 km race. I would say you do not need to get accustomed to them because I did not notice them during the race. The only thing I noticed was an incredible increase in speed (I was 3 minutes faster than I would normally have been).
Quote Reply
Re: The Nike Vaporfly 4% Really Is 4% "Faster"! [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I saw Jocelyn McCauley and Lucy Charles-Barclay wearing them in the races. A month ago, I went to a 5K event where 1200+ runners showed up and ended up placing 41st. I would have placed about 60-70 without these shoes. You have to try them to understand how good they are.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did a 6.5 mile training run in the 4%'s before running 13.1 miles in them this weekend, in a training run PR (it wasn't quite a race)... the shoes felt great and I'm less sore than I would usually be after a long run on concrete. I'll definitely be wearing them in all my races this year, including Ironman Hawaii, but won't train very much in them, if at all.
Last edited by: sfjab: Apr 8, 19 12:25
Quote Reply

Prev Next