Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 80% of Americans live paycheck to paycheck [Harbinger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Harbinger wrote:
BLeP wrote:
Holy shit, do none of them have a line of credit that they can draw on for a few weeks?

Interesting. I have no debts. Equity in my home. Stock portfolio. Retirement accounts. But I don't have a 'line of credit'. Do you consider them necessary or an integral part of a good financial plan?

I have had a LOC for 10 years. I've used it twice and paid it off immediately both times. It's nice to have as a last resort.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: 80% of Americans live paycheck to paycheck [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BarryP wrote:
"As jpo said, the median household income is $59K. Subtract all necessary expenses and the math doesn't work out for many of those people to save 3-6 months of expenses for an emergency, especially if they have kids. Plus, they're supposed to save for retirement. "

What do people who make $49K do? Can't the people who make $59K live like the ones who make $49K but also stash away $10K a year?

Mo money, mo problems.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
What do people who make $49K do? Can't the people who make $59K live like the ones who make $49K but also stash away $10K a year?

I don't know, but I doubt it's quite that simple. I suspect for a lot of people making that kind of money, living like a family making $10K less means living in a (more) dangerous neighborhood.
Last edited by: Supersquid: Jan 14, 19 8:27
Quote Reply
Re: 80% of Americans live paycheck to paycheck [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:
I just wonder what there expenses really are and if there is not places they could cut they just don't want to.

I lived on a bike and in a tent for a few years and then in a 3rd world country so really have a good grasp of what you "need" verses what you "want". As long as those are mixed up then there will always be people who live paycheck to paycheck.

Most people now "need" the latest smart phone, television, cable, Netflix or have to go to a coffee shop each day and those small things alone can add up to significant savings in a year. Kids are learning at a young age that they need a phone and computer to keep up with their classmates so I would guess the problem will get much worse in the years ahead.

I believe there are groups of people who have extenuating circumstances but you (Sanuk) hit the nail on the head here as to our real problems.

I have employees who live paycheck to paycheck, and most of my employees make over that magical $15/hour number. They drive brand new cars, have the latest iPhone (every time a new one comes out), and eat out every day. One employee was telling me how she never has any money in her bank account and, in the next breath, started talking about the venti triple shot soy caramel macchiato she gets from Starbucks twice per day every day (I don't know exactly how much that cost but its goota be $5/drink, so $10/day, or $300+/month just for a specialized coffee!!!).

The same employees complain about not having money but also only want to work 30 hours per week. This is despite bill collectors and such. If you try to suggest they work a 40 hour week, or take on a second job, you would think we've suggested they kill their parents.

A lot of our society is play now and figure out how to pay for it later.
Quote Reply
Re: 80% of Americans live paycheck to paycheck [eye3md] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
eye3md wrote:

Again: more of our society doesn't have the kind of jobs you describe, and are "survive now and hope s*** doesn't happen later."

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: 80% of Americans live paycheck to paycheck [Supersquid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Supersquid wrote:
Quote:

I don't know, but I doubt it's quite that simple. I suspect for a lot of people making that kind of money, living like a family making $10K less means living in a (more) dangerous neighborhood.

Or live with roomates. Or get cheap rent from family.

I know a family who doesn't make much and have a daughter that has a very expensive medical condition who make it by living in a triple decker one of their parents own - parents own it and live in it and the family pays no rent.
Quote Reply
Re: 80% of Americans live paycheck to paycheck [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
gymrat wrote:
Um no.. it depends upon where you live. $100k in Louisville or Oklahoma City looks a lot different than NYC, San Francisco, or Los Angeles.

Correct. And you don't have to live in those places.

I think you are missing the point. There is no question $100k goes further in some places than others. But, the point is, you cannot make $100k in many of those places where it goes further.

My daughter-in-law is a perfect example. For her profession, she would be making about $60k in the Milwaukee area. Instead, she is making $80k in the Las Vegas area. The cost of living is 26% greater in Henderson, NV than it is in Muskego, WI.

In the Milwaukee area, she would top out at $80k. In the Las Vegas area, she will top out at $100k. Yes, she could move back to WI, but, she would not be making $100K. Given the cost of living "adjustment" she is making the same in both locations.

You seem to be saying no one making $100k should live paycheck-to-paycheck. That implies that, for people making under $100k, living paycheck-to-paycheck is a possibility. So, using your logic, if my DIL was living paycheck-to-paycheck in WI ($80k), it would be understandable, but, it is inconceivable if she were doing the same in NV ($100k). That makes no sense.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shifts in housing costs/appreciation, student loans, revolving debt, medical costs, wage stagnation all play a role. One needs to also look at the 78% demographically. A huge percentage of folks under 30 (maybe 35 with the economic collapse) live paycheck to paycheck. Beyond that, it begins to diverge: poor and lower middle-class earners never get out from debt. middle and upper-middle vary greatly: Some manage debt, some sink themselves in it further. others may live frugally, but save/invest strategically, so that they live pseudo "paycheck to paycheck". High earners mostly do just fine, if it lasts for many years, though they may certainly get trapped by really bad times or personal profligacy (remember 90% of those making over 100K DON'T live paycheck to paycheck).

Personally, I definitely was broke with lower middle-class earnings (or lower) until I was 35. Finances only improved significantly when I got married, and we had two folks with graduate degrees working full time.
Last edited by: oldandslow: Jan 14, 19 8:59
Quote Reply
Re: 80% of Americans live paycheck to paycheck [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah my brain doesn’t always work at full capacity.

I am sure you’ve noticed.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: 80% of Americans live paycheck to paycheck [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Another major money factor:
- Lotto tickets
- Cigarettes
- Booze

Sales higher in lower income areas.
Quote Reply
Re: 80% of Americans live paycheck to paycheck [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:

My apartment during my first engineering job had a bed, a side table with cheapo alarm clock, a borrowed recliner, my college desk and computer, and a set of 4 place Ikea plates and utensils.

I had the closet full of tools to repair my car I had accumulated.

That’s it. Oh, and a 7 year old tube tv set. Bunny ears, no cable.

Out of grad school I bought a condo and had a roommate who for two years lived on a paco pad while working in management at IBM. No bed. Just some kayaks and a camping pad. He brought girls back to his camping pad too. He was the Mac daddy. He is now a financial advisor - and I bet a good one if you’re willing to listen to him.

ETA I felt paycheck to paycheck at this time. I could not buy groceries on my budget without the rent check. But I was putting 10% in 401k and any bonuses into savings as part of my budget. So I do think the definition of paycheck to paycheck differs by person quite a bit. If you see savings as an obligation it can feel you are living paycheck to paycheck while saving - since your outgoing equals your incoming and any change would cut into your obligations.
Last edited by: Moonrocket: Jan 14, 19 9:03
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"I don't know, but I doubt it's quite that simple. I suspect for a lot of people making that kind of money, living like a family making $10K less means living in a (more) dangerous neighborhood. "

I honestly think that's where a significant portion of money problems come from. Trashy people extend themselves so that they can get out of the ghetto, but blue collar people don't want to live near trashy people, so they extend themselves to get into white collar neighborhoods, which is full of people who don't want to live next door to blue collar people, etc. etc.

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Re: 80% of Americans live paycheck to paycheck [trimick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trimick wrote:
chaparral wrote:
How many of those care caused by health care bills? Health care is the biggest cause of bankruptcies, so I would not be shocked if some people have avoided bankruptcy, but are barely staying above water.

You should actually look at the study that you are talking about. If someone went bankrupt and had any healthcare related debt on it they counted that as healthcare related. So if I had 150k in credit card debt and 500 in medical debt they counted that as health care related.

I don't know. If the median household income is 59,000 and the average deductable for a family is 3,000. So that is 5% of your income, before taxes. Unless you luck out on timing, it is easy for the bills to span a couple years, so not suprising if some medical expense costs 6,000. That would make a big impact on how much you can save. And remember that is median income, lots of people making less than that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BarryP wrote:
"I don't know, but I doubt it's quite that simple. I suspect for a lot of people making that kind of money, living like a family making $10K less means living in a (more) dangerous neighborhood. "

I honestly think that's where a significant portion of money problems come from. Trashy people extend themselves so that they can get out of the ghetto, but blue collar people don't want to live near trashy people, so they extend themselves to get into white collar neighborhoods, which is full of people who don't want to live next door to blue collar people, etc. etc.

And also get their kids into better schools, which are generally in places with a higher cost of living.
Quote Reply
Re: 80% of Americans live paycheck to paycheck [chaparral] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Its one of the reasons why my parents stretched their budget (at least at the time they did it). I was in a God awful school system from 6th-10th grades.

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Re: 80% of Americans live paycheck to paycheck [eye3md] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
eye3md wrote:

I particularly care about my N+1 situation. Neither of my children live paycheck to paycheck. Both in their 30's. Both max out retirement plans. Both have their net paycheck paid into their MMA. Both take a fixed amount out of it monthly to live on. My daughter just bought her first 'new' car because someone totaled her 12 year old one (that I had given her when she graduated). She had 6 figures sitting in her MMA and paid cash for the car.

Not everyone gets taught about money. Some do. We did. We have always taught them that credit cards are for convenience, not finance. To set their Standard of Living far below their income. We also walk the walk and that is a powerful teaching tool.
Quote Reply
Re: 80% of Americans live paycheck to paycheck [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrewmc wrote:
It's not inconceivable

My wife and I made good money and we saved a lot of it.

Then, and it does not matter what order this happened in, I lost my job, an apartment burnt down and an apartment I committed to buy was delivered nearly two years late making it a little tricky to get a mortgage with no job

The burnt down apartment took more than a year to deliver the first insurance payment. It took 30 months to receive all my money.

So, I'm in the situation where I'm haemorrhaging cash at the rate of 5-6k a month with zero income.

Three months savings is insufficient for anything.

I can honestly say that money related stress is the worst and can make you ill.

We are okay now, but it does not surprise me how many people are pay check to pay check.

Really you think this is typical? or that 80% of people are going through this? Also if you have no income your not really living paycheck to paycheck cause there is no paycheck. You must have had an emergency fund built up and not been living paycheck before or after. I think your more in the 20% not living paycheck to paycheck

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Supersquid wrote:
I'm not surprised 80% are living paycheck to paycheck. As jpo said, the median household income is $59K. Subtract all necessary expenses and the math doesn't work out for many of those people to save 3-6 months of expenses for an emergency, especially if they have kids. Plus, they're supposed to save for retirement.

I'm not saying there isn't an over-spending problem for many, but income is the biggest issue for most of them.

Ok lets pretend everyone below median income is living paycheck to paycheck THATS STILL ONLY 50% (plus that includes single people) but lets take this and say its everyone below the 80% well thats $86,867 household income.

Hard to believe that level everyone below that income would be living paycheck to paycheck.

Just Triing
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Re: 80% of Americans live paycheck to paycheck [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
BLeP wrote:
DavHamm wrote:
This came up on another thread, It bothered me but googled there are many articles seems to be about 78% https://www.cnbc.com/...eck-to-paycheck.html

10% of those making over $100k said they usually or always live paycheck to paycheck.

Blows my mind, I would be very stressed if my finances were that tight. I just wonder what there expenses really are and if there is not places they could cut they just don't want to.

Nobody making over $100,000 a year has to have finances that tight. They just choose to spend.

I brought this up in the other thread. Our starter home mortgage and childcare for one kid is around $75,000 a year. That doesn't account for food, gas, etc. We are both pretty frugal, have good jobs and work hard. While we are not paycheck to paycheck, a few months without work would be very financially painful. Life is expensive in some places.

Ok you just made the point. YOUR NOT in the 80% even with an absurd Mortgage and Child care expense.

Just Triing
Quote Reply
Re: 80% of Americans live paycheck to paycheck [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
BLeP wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:
BLeP wrote:
DavHamm wrote:
This came up on another thread, It bothered me but googled there are many articles seems to be about 78% https://www.cnbc.com/...eck-to-paycheck.html

10% of those making over $100k said they usually or always live paycheck to paycheck.

Blows my mind, I would be very stressed if my finances were that tight. I just wonder what there expenses really are and if there is not places they could cut they just don't want to.

Nobody making over $100,000 a year has to have finances that tight. They just choose to spend.

I brought this up in the other thread. Our starter home mortgage and childcare for one kid is around $75,000 a year. That doesn't account for food, gas, etc. We are both pretty frugal, have good jobs and work hard. While we are not paycheck to paycheck, a few months without work would be very financially painful. Life is expensive in some places.

Yes. And you choose to live in Victoria. That's cool but you don't have to live there.

Yes, but my point is $100k doesn't get you far in an area with high cost of living. Could we move? Sure. Our salaries would drop considerably.

Your statement of nobody making over 100k a year has to have finances that tight is pretty oversimplified.

You know if you lose your job, the first thing you do is drop your kid from childcare, that takes your $75k number down to $40k.

Not sure if you moved some where less expensive your salary's would drop as far as your mortgage payment.

I know right out of college 2 of my offers were $30k in SE michigan or $23k in Pacific Northwest. (GM / Boeing) so rest of package was the same. I told my former boss at Boeing no way can't make those numbers work. He said yeah don't blame you financially its hard to get people to work here. And from my time there, it was clear a lot of workers, didn't mind living paycheck to paycheck and not putting anything away.

Just Triing
Last edited by: DavHamm: Jan 14, 19 17:09
Quote Reply
Re: 80% of Americans live paycheck to paycheck [SailorSam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SailorSam wrote:
BLeP wrote:

Holy shit, do none of them have a line of credit that they can draw on for a few weeks?

No, apparently. But they're all at their borrowing capacity carrying other revolving debt (credit cards) so even if they had enough time to tap into equity the whole application process would probably take too long. 2 SUVs (or truck and SUV), homes that are unnecessarily large, toys coming out their kids' ears, motorcycles, snowmobiles, jetskis, boats, trailers, tractors, guns, motorhomes. You name it. Everything except a manageable debt to income ratio / debt to equity ratio.

Actual quote from one of them pre-shutdown when my wife suggested I review their finances (they were worried what Christmas was going to do to them financially): "we live comfortably"

This is why I have a hard time feeling sorry for a lot of these people and others that complain about their finances. They have bought all kinds of toys and took all kinds of trips I choose not to, because of finances but now they are paying for their fun and I am suppose to feel bad for them.

Just Triing
Quote Reply
Re: 80% of Americans live paycheck to paycheck [Harbinger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Harbinger wrote:
BLeP wrote:

Interesting. I have no debts. Equity in my home. Stock portfolio. Retirement accounts. But I don't have a 'line of credit'. Do you consider them necessary or an integral part of a good financial plan?

Really you have no Credit cards? most bills can be put on a Credit Card. (Not the best but one way of at least paying the bills)

Just Triing
Quote Reply
Re: 80% of Americans live paycheck to paycheck [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DavHamm wrote:
SailorSam wrote:
BLeP wrote:

No, apparently. But they're all at their borrowing capacity carrying other revolving debt (credit cards) so even if they had enough time to tap into equity the whole application process would probably take too long. 2 SUVs (or truck and SUV), homes that are unnecessarily large, toys coming out their kids' ears, motorcycles, snowmobiles, jetskis, boats, trailers, tractors, guns, motorhomes. You name it. Everything except a manageable debt to income ratio / debt to equity ratio.

Actual quote from one of them pre-shutdown when my wife suggested I review their finances (they were worried what Christmas was going to do to them financially): "we live comfortably"

This is why I have a hard time feeling sorry for a lot of these people and others that complain about their finances. They have bought all kinds of toys and took all kinds of trips I choose not to, because of finances but now they are paying for their fun and I am suppose to feel bad for them.

You are not "supposed to" feel anything for them. But, you are expected to have the common sense to understand the myriad of variables that make one person's finances wholly inapposite to another person's finances.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: 80% of Americans live paycheck to paycheck [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:
You all have no idea what living paycheck-to-paycheck means for most people. These aren't the people who went to your high school, or with whom you work who don't have a clue how to manage their 100k+ household incomes. They exist, of course (my teacher wife knows them), but that's not the majority of this group.

These are the people who work three part-time jobs, 60-80 hours per week, at near-minimum wage jobs. Or those who work full-time jobs at $12.50/hour, and try to support a family. 401(k)? Yeah, instead of eating, maybe.

Being poor is very expensive. You can't afford a monthly metro pass to get to your shitty job(s), so you have to pay more for daily or weekly passes. You can't afford to buy a couple of months' supply of household basics, so you end up paying more for smaller amounts of TP, napkins, rice, etc. You don't have access to a line of credit, because you don't own a home or anything else of value on which to borrow. Your "line of credit" is the payday loan shark down the street (and whose regulation is being stripped by this administration).

Dude you really think 80% of the households (so incomes below $80k) live this way>??? sure maybe 40 50% of the country is in that space, but the number was 80 not 50.

Just Triing
Quote Reply
Re: 80% of Americans live paycheck to paycheck [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
slowguy wrote:
Quote:
And living paycheck to paycheck could mean different things. It still feels like I am living paycheck to paycheck even though I am not, because the thought of being without a job in my 50's terrifies me since it could jack up retirement. So if you asked me I may very well say yes because I want/need every paycheck to do what I want to do when I want to do it.

I don't think that's what hardly anyone else considers "living paycheck to paycheck." It's a pretty commonly understood phrase. It means you rely on every single bit of your paycheck to meet all you financial obligations, every time you get a paycheck. No extra money to go into savings or investments. If you can afford that, you are, by definition, not living paycheck to paycheck.

I agree, it is not. But if you asked me I very well might say yes.

I don't keep a crap ton of cash I can get to this afternoon (it keeps me from being dumb, which I may or may not have a tendency to do) so my walking around money depends on the next check.

So what I was trying to say, when you ask people if they live paycheck to paycheck, some people who might not really be doing it would say yes because it feels that way

Really you pay cash for everything, and at the end of the week have no cash left, Thats living paycheck to paycheck. I have enough credit in CC to easily pay a $5000 unexpected bill tomorrow - that's not living paycheck to paycheck.

Just Triing
Quote Reply

Prev Next