Prev Next
Re: Lochte banned 14 months..... [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Francois wrote:
BrentwoodTriGuy wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
ggeiger wrote:
https://swimswam.com/olympian-ryan-lochte-banned-14months-due-to-ivinfusion/
"American Olympian Ryan Lochte has accepted a 14-month ban for having received intravenous infusions in a volume greater than 100mL in a 12-hour period without a Therapeutic Use Exemption (TUE)."
Anything to stay competitive?

I don't even understand why this practice is illegal; he was apparently injecting totally legal stuff so why is "greater than 100 mL in 12 hr" considered a problem by WADA??? If the drugs or fluids or carbs, etc, are completely legal, then why is the mode of uptake even an issue???

I hope someone has a legit answer for this because I simply assumed this is more for wrestlers and boxers trying to make weight and then hydrate quickly... which to me is cheating since that is part of the sport.

It's illegal because it could allow one to plasma volume, to dilute or mask a substance, and because it would allow to cheat the bio passport. Among other things.

There's also the reason try to eliminate the technical advantage of wealth (and limit medical disasters). That's why everybody gets the same javelin in the javelin throw and UCI limits the bikes to have to be at least a certain weight - the real point of sport is to see athletes compete against each other fairly. Cyclist from poor countries already have it tough enough, so it's not cool to have them show up on 20 lb. bikes while rich cyclists show up on 10 pounders. We already see how unfair it is in Ironman how you can simply buy speed on the bike. And one of the reasons they eliminated those skin suits in swimming was rich countries could keep throwing full body kits at their folks after every heat even though they ripped, but the poor countries couldn't afford maybe even one.

The resources to hydrate yourself with needles and fluid bags frequently and safely takes $$$. So then the poorer athletes start trying to keep up and start making risky decisions by reusing needles and bags and sketchy medical folks (Dr. Nick from the Simpsons) or none at all, and then people start catching and spreading diseases, some of them irreversible, like HIV and hepatitis. So WADA says let's put an end to this and nobody gets them to keep the playing field even and people from spreading some nasty stuff.

Imagine athletes from a poorer country or just college kids at Nationals given free reign to have as many IV bags as they want. In a pinch, they'd start reusing needles and bags and even injecting each other, risking getting an air bubble in their blood stream and boom, dead. No needles, people... too dangerous. Limit it to nearly none at all and only under supervision by trained medical staff.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Last edited by: ZenTriBrett: Jul 23, 18 14:11
Quote Reply
Re: Lochte banned 14 months..... [CPT Chaos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CPT Chaos wrote:
At IM Boulder, I had 3 of the giant bags for my issues that day. They did not immediately give me an IV despite blacking out on the course and being in extremely bad shape, but the doc did eventually order it, and specifically asked for the large bags (I did not know they had small bags or really anything about the bag sizes in general).

I am pretty sure the anti doping code allows medical professionals the room to do what they need to do for a patient's health.

If you were sick enough to need an IV the small bags are a complete waste of time spitting into the wind as it were. If your health is legit at risk you and the doctor want the big bags.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CPT Chaos wrote:
At IM Boulder, I had 3 of the giant bags for my issues that day. They did not immediately give me an IV despite blacking out on the course and being in extremely bad shape, but the doc did eventually order it, and specifically asked for the large bags (I did not know they had small bags or really anything about the bag sizes in general).

I am pretty sure the anti doping code allows medical professionals the room to do what they need to do for a patient's health.

doper!

;-)

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Lochte banned 14 months..... [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mauricemaher wrote:
Francois wrote:
https://www.usada.org/...ns-explanatory-note/

There is definitely a bit of flexibility, but it will still require a TUE in the medical tent. But it has to be documented. And as you said, no more 'everyone gets an IV at the end of the race'. Which was always pretty ridiculous to begin with.

Say for example, one or two of those out of 100 post Kona or any other event is severely dehydrated and legitimately needs that IV.

Would that not qualify as emergency care? Ie if I get into a car accident and need two pints of blood under emergency surgery...pretty sure I don’t need a TUE, also pretty sure I wouldn’t be blood doping.

Anyways, just a question I think the spirit or intent is not to bust people under legitimate (emergency) medical care regardless of location.

Maurice

I can reiterate what others have said in this thread. I've never had a post race IV, but after I took a course about anti-doping from the Canadian Centre for Ethics in Sport I asked about them, and I was told a retroactive TUE would be required if more than 100mL was administered.
Quote Reply
Re: Lochte banned 14 months..... [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very Funny! Isn't there a rule here about calling out someone without any sort of proof? :)

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Elliot | Cycle2Tri.com
Sponsors: SciCon | | Every Man Jack
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CPT Chaos wrote:
Very Funny! Isn't there a rule here about calling out someone without any sort of proof? :)

did you instagram your doping? like lochte did?

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mauricemaher wrote:
STP wrote:
Quote:
I don't even understand why this practice is illegal; he was apparently injecting totally legal stuff so why is "greater than 100 mL in 12 hr" considered a problem by WADA??? If the drugs or fluids or carbs, etc, are completely legal, then why is the mode of uptake even an issue???

Right, its not like IV's have not been at the center of some of the biggest doping controversies ever. Oh wait . . .

Even if the IV is just saline, it does make some sense just for optics alone to not allow the sidelines to be filed with guys and gals hooked up to hoses. That would not look too good even if an argument could be made it is not the worse thing in the world . . . . My hunch is the uptake rule is meant to make IVs impractical unless there is a damn good medical reason for them, even if a TUE is not required in every case of use.

There are also certain banned methods instituted via WADA for short time periods.

IE the olympics have a zero tolerance policy for the two weeks of the games. No needles, period.

Maurice

So, dumb but serious question: no diabetics at the games?

The point is, ladies and gentleman, that speed, for lack of a better word, is good. Speed is right, Speed works. Speed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.
Quote Reply
Re: Lochte banned 14 months..... [Daniel Clarke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Daniel Clarke wrote:
mauricemaher wrote:
Francois wrote:
https://www.usada.org/...ns-explanatory-note/

There is definitely a bit of flexibility, but it will still require a TUE in the medical tent. But it has to be documented. And as you said, no more 'everyone gets an IV at the end of the race'. Which was always pretty ridiculous to begin with.

Say for example, one or two of those out of 100 post Kona or any other event is severely dehydrated and legitimately needs that IV.

Would that not qualify as emergency care? Ie if I get into a car accident and need two pints of blood under emergency surgery...pretty sure I don’t need a TUE, also pretty sure I wouldn’t be blood doping.

Anyways, just a question I think the spirit or intent is not to bust people under legitimate (emergency) medical care regardless of location.

Maurice

I can reiterate what others have said in this thread. I've never had a post race IV, but after I took a course about anti-doping from the Canadian Centre for Ethics in Sport I asked about them, and I was told a retroactive TUE would be required if more than 100mL was administered.

Yes,

The issue, and basically stems from a technical one:

For example take cpt chaos example re Boulder.

If he receives the exact same emergency care in the med tent at an Ironman vs the exact same care via “hospital admission”

In other words, same care in an emergency fashion, one requires a retro TUE the other not because you are receiving an IV via hospital admission.

Really a simple technical question, is a med tent with specific qualified people, and specifically available emergency interventions...and an admission protocol or process a “hospital”

Don’t know honestly, I think there could be arguments both ways.

Maurice
Quote Reply
Re: Lochte banned 14 months..... [Toby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Toby wrote:
mauricemaher wrote:
STP wrote:
Quote:

Right, its not like IV's have not been at the center of some of the biggest doping controversies ever. Oh wait . . .

Even if the IV is just saline, it does make some sense just for optics alone to not allow the sidelines to be filed with guys and gals hooked up to hoses. That would not look too good even if an argument could be made it is not the worse thing in the world . . . . My hunch is the uptake rule is meant to make IVs impractical unless there is a damn good medical reason for them, even if a TUE is not required in every case of use.

There are also certain banned methods instituted via WADA for short time periods.

IE the olympics have a zero tolerance policy for the two weeks of the games. No needles, period.

Maurice

My understanding was that this would apply to anyone non-TUE.

Ie if you were diabetic and taking insulin etc, you better have a TUE. Just to make your life easier.

Having said that...I remember reading it multiple times during Rio and Sk winter games, and I can’t find the source now.

Perhaps I am incorrect.

Maurice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mauricemaher wrote:
Toby wrote:
mauricemaher wrote:
STP wrote:
Quote:

Maurice

My understanding was that this would apply to anyone non-TUE.

Ie if you were diabetic and taking insulin etc, you better have a TUE. Just to make your life easier.

Having said that...I remember reading it multiple times during Rio and Sk winter games, and I can’t find the source now.

Perhaps I am incorrect.

Maurice

Ah, ok. "No needles without a TUE" is very different from "no needles, period".

The point is, ladies and gentleman, that speed, for lack of a better word, is good. Speed is right, Speed works. Speed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.
Quote Reply
Re: Lochte banned 14 months..... [Toby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed my initial description or recollection was incorrect.

Maurice
Quote Reply
Re: Lochte banned 14 months..... [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Funny how when USADA was being paid by Floyd Mayweather they gave him a TUE for an infusion and kept it secret. It didn't come out until after the fight. I really doubt Money was in such a bad way he needed an infusion.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Man, what a dope. I feel sorry for him in a pathetic kind of way. He narked... on himself
Last edited by: ajthomas: Jul 23, 18 17:19
Quote Reply
Re: Lochte banned 14 months..... [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A standard IV bag is 1000ml. Ten times the limit. 100ml is 3 1/3 ounces. A pittance, really. And not enough to hide any doping. Therefore it is probably a fair limit. I think we don't have nearly enough information on this to be commenting in any way on whether Lochte is a hapless dope, a victim of a technicality or a genius at cheating. Shall we move on to more salient issues?
Quote Reply
Re: Lochte banned 14 months..... [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
Francois wrote:
B_Doughtie wrote:
Is there anything updated from that...that document is from 2016, and things with WADA change yearly. I spoke with USADA officials 3 weeks ago, and they told me post race IV's need an TUE if more than the prescribed amount.

I don't think there is anything updated. I wouldn't be surprised if they just make a blanket statement to say it's not allowed. The rules are clearly written to be superseded a medical dx in a 'hospital' setting.
So, if you arrive to the medical tent delirious etc. your physician will make a call, which is really seen as a on the spot TUE. I guess USADA would rather make a blanket statement to avoid every other athlete faking it in the med tent.

when i first saw the change to the Code, and read the exceptions, i didn't see anything about post-ironman IVs that would qualify as a medical emergency exception. they can certainly do what they want at WADA. but i seem to remember, looking at this at the time, that the med tent would not qualify, otherwise that's a tacit admission that all these folks crossing the line are in medical emergency territory. it's further complicated by the latest best practices through the prism of hyponatremia.

but like i said, maybe they're not even doing industrial scale IVs anymore there. i don't know.

I could see your point if it were even remotely possible to be severely dehydrated after the 200 Fly or if swim meets were a single day/event. It is sort of an apples-to-oranges comparison because nobody in Kona will be racing the next day and you would prefer to treat people out of an abundance of caution. You have no idea what their electrolyte levels are either. Lochte was going beyond what's allowed and he doesn't have any good excuse.
Quote Reply
Re: Lochte banned 14 months..... [DrMike2010] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DrMike2010 wrote:
A standard IV bag is 1000ml. Ten times the limit. 100ml is 3 1/3 ounces. A pittance, really. And not enough to hide any doping. Therefore it is probably a fair limit. I think we don't have nearly enough information on this to be commenting in any way on whether Lochte is a hapless dope, a victim of a technicality or a genius at cheating. Shall we move on to more salient issues?

“Salient issues”. Like what you did there.

1) I just wanted to point out, that there is a national shortage of IV bags. People who are hospitalized, who are quite ill, can not get them. Our ER has instituted strict rules around who gets them in order to ration them out to only the sickest people. The fact that anyone is able to get one for some BS recreational reason is irritating.

2) among the rules around rationing that we have instituted- in order to get an IV for hydration, you must be unable to consume fluids by mouth. I would hope that Ironman medical tents would follow these guidelines as well.

3) no way Lochte did not know this was illegal- I think it is legitimate to ask the question- what was he hiding by using IV saline?
Quote Reply
Re: Lochte banned 14 months..... [Tommann] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If he really knew it was illegal he wouldn't have posted it on his social media. Rio proved that he is not exactly a brainiac. He probably just didn't think anything of it. Do you have any idea how popular vitamin drips and the like are nowadays? They are popping up all over...they promote them for curing hangovers, recovering from travel, etc.
Quote Reply
Re: Lochte banned 14 months..... [STP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
STP wrote:
Quote:

Right, its not like IV's have not been at the center of some of the biggest doping controversies ever. Oh wait . . . Even if the IV is just saline, it does make some sense just for optics alone to not allow the sidelines to be filed with guys and gals hooked up to hoses. That would not look too good even if an argument could be made it is not the worse thing in the world . . . . My hunch is the uptake rule is meant to make IVs impractical unless there is a damn good medical reason for them, even if a TUE is not required in every case of use.

Ya, i can def see how it would not look good for elite swimmers to all be getting an IV after every practice. OTOH, had RL just done this in private instead of Instagraming it, he could've gotten away with it and no bad "optics". Further, i would think a person's arms would get sore if they got an IV every day for several months, just from having all those needles stuck in you.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Lochte banned 14 months..... [Tommann] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tommann wrote:
1) I just wanted to point out, that there is a national shortage of IV bags. People who are hospitalized, who are quite ill, can not get them. Our ER has instituted strict rules around who gets them in order to ration them out to only the sickest people. The fact that anyone is able to get one for some BS recreational reason is irritating.

3) no way Lochte did not know this was illegal- I think it is legitimate to ask the question- what was he hiding by using IV saline?

I’m not arguing if there is a shortage or not. But there are wellness centers popping up left and right where you can get IV therapy. While there may really be a shortage, to the unknown, they seem widely available with all the advertisements in the last few years for IV therapy centers. Remember when there was an ad for IV therapy at AG nationals a few years ago??

I think you are over-estimating the brains/smarts of Lochte.

blog
Last edited by: stevej: Jul 24, 18 5:11
Quote Reply
Re: Lochte banned 14 months..... [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
Tommann wrote:
on to more salient issues?

“Salient issues”. Like what you did there.

I’m not arguing if there is a shortage or not. But there are wellness centers popping up left and right where you can get IV therapy. While there may really be a shortage, to the unknown, they seem widely available with all the advertisements in the last few years for IV therapy centers. Remember when there was an ad for IV therapy at AG nationals a few years ago??

I think you are underestimating the brains/smarts of Lochte.[/quote]
Under estimating? Or over estimating?
Quote Reply
Post deleted by windschatten [ In reply to ]
Last edited by: windschatten: Jul 23, 18 20:36
Re: Lochte banned 14 months..... [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windschatten wrote:
Lochte? Well.......let's say they had him in the crosshairs for a reason.

Do tell. Is your comment based on firsthand knowledge, or hearsay/speculation?

Eliot
blog thing - strava thing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Terrible Tuesday’s Triathlon
Quote Reply
Re: Lochte banned 14 months..... [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windschatten wrote:
stevej wrote:

Well, if I do an WTC IM, I do actually pay fair market value for that stuff.
And if I should have to go to the hospital, I am sure I am going to pay market value for them too.

Supply and demand, profit, capitalism. We like. So no whining.

Lochte? Well.......let's say they had him in the crosshairs for a reason.

Next time I have a 5year old chemo patient who can’t get an IV, I will have you come in and explain to them how capitalism works. When critical medical supplies are in short supply, they should go to people who actually have a medical need for them.
Quote Reply
Re: Lochte banned 14 months..... [oscaro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is that his wife getting an IV as well? Why?
Quote Reply

Prev Next