Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Lochte banned 14 months..... [Tommann] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tommann wrote:
DrMike2010 wrote:

“Salient issues”. Like what you did there.

1) I just wanted to point out, that there is a national shortage of IV bags. People who are hospitalized, who are quite ill, can not get them. Our ER has instituted strict rules around who gets them in order to ration them out to only the sickest people. The fact that anyone is able to get one for some BS recreational reason is irritating.

Not to highjack this discussion-but where is there a shortage of IV bags? (sorry, is this USA based or another country?)
We have not had this issue here in Australia but have had all sorts of critical drug supply issues over the last few years. Seems incredible that something so important as IV fluids could be at the point they need to be rationed. A sad state of affairs globally with all these critical products having issues.
Quote Reply
Re: Lochte banned 14 months..... [pbnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A google search of iv fluid bag shortage gave me this:

https://www.snopes.com/...-an-iv-bag-shortage/

Here is the search link:
https://www.google.com/...=chrome&ie=UTF-8
Quote Reply
Re: Lochte banned 14 months..... [RBR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RBR wrote:

Under estimating? Or over estimating?

Over-estimating. My apologies. Long day yesterday.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Lochte banned 14 months..... [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Willenbring. Kendall. Cox. Now Lochte. Four people in five months. This is embarrassing. The cavalcade of stupidity on US National teams continues. Taking random pills the night before a drug test? Getting careless with an inhaler? Not knowing the infusion rules and posting a picture on social media? All inexcusable and easily avoidable mistakes. USA Swimming needs to quickly retrain their team members on the basics of anti-doping.
Quote Reply
Re: Lochte banned 14 months..... [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So, a husband and wife get vitamin IV drips? Semi-celebrity reality star athlete posts photo on Instagram with hashtags? I'd guess that the drips were for hangovers and that the Lochtes received a discount for promoting the facility online. Boneheaded!
Quote Reply
Re: Lochte banned 14 months..... [Tommann] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just in case those are curious about the IV shortage thing (since I was), here's a link with more details on it: http://www.wmcactionnews5.com/...tionwide-iv-shortage

-
My tiny little slice of the internets: dcrainmaker.com
Quote Reply
Re: Lochte banned 14 months..... [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[/quote]

There are exceptions to the banned method.

For example emergency care, cancer treatment etc.

You could argue or one “could” argue that some in that tent post Kona actually need an IV administered under the emergency care of a doctor.

Of course we know- or could reasonably guess this percentage is quite small.

Maurice[/quote]

Not just at Maurice, as a couple people seemed a bit confused. In any NON hospital admitted situation a TUE is required and can be applied for after the fact aka "emergency TUE / post-dated TUE".

Here is some good reading material: https://www.usada.org/...ns-explanatory-note/

Specifically, first point for "during/after races", falling under "field of play" (IMO) and then 2nd point for what Lochte got banned for.
  • In emergency circumstances, IVs may also be given by paramedical staff or physicians on the field of play, but an emergency TUE application is required as soon as reasonably possible after treatment has been received. Examples may include a semi- or unconscious athlete, an athlete who cannot tolerate oral fluids, or treatment of an acute injury.
  • IV infusions during home visits, urgent care or after-hours clinics, boutique IV and rehydration services, and doctor’s office visits are not hospital admissions and would require an approved TUE in advance.

Anytime I see someone advocating people to get post race IV's, posting pictures of post race IV's, etc. I inform them of the rules and send them that above link. A good friend and ST'er completely ignored my guidance under the impression of "I had no idea they were giving me an IV and I needed it", doesn't matter you still need to get a TUE, even more so if you are going to post a picture of you getting it on social media, case and point Lochte.

Would I ever go to the lengths of reporting someone to USADA, probably not, unless they are a complete and utter fool and disregard all advice on the situation.

Just like a previous post here on ST about an AG'er thinking she could get a banned substance because her doctor said she needed it, and because he said she needed it she didn't need a TUE. I really believe it comes down to a complete lack of education by USADA / USAT on what is allowed and what is not allowed. Granted there are people pushing the limits and breaking the rules to compete at the very pointy end of the amateur ranks (case and point the recent Kona AG Champ doping bust), and then there are people that are MOP/BOP that just want to have a "better" lifestyle by getting "T".

I still believe USAT / WTC needs to create a non-competitive "Open / Do anything you want" wave/category, similar to the wetsuit wearing people at non-wetsuit races..........

-Brad Williams
Website | Twitter: @BW_Tri |Instagram: @BW_Tri | Strava | Co-Founder & Coach at: KIS Coaching
Partnered with: Zoot Sports | Precision Fuel &Hydration | ISM
Quote Reply
Re: Lochte banned 14 months..... [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
Is there anything updated from that...that document is from 2016, and things with WADA change yearly. I spoke with USADA officials 3 weeks ago, and they told me post race IV's need an TUE if more than the prescribed amount.

You nailed it B_Doughtie, USADA officials are correct ;)

Here is an updated note on it from USADA, 5 Jan 2018: https://www.usada.org/...ns-explanatory-note/

See my above post for more thoughts on it from my end.

-Brad Williams
Website | Twitter: @BW_Tri |Instagram: @BW_Tri | Strava | Co-Founder & Coach at: KIS Coaching
Partnered with: Zoot Sports | Precision Fuel &Hydration | ISM
Quote Reply
Re: Lochte banned 14 months..... [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IV's are banned because they are the primary method of covering up autologous blood doping, and cheat biological passport testing. They could also be used to help one feel better after donating their own blood for autologous transfer - so they are banned for good reason. I would guess that IV saline might be a popular adjunct to most doping schedules, as they can wash out some positives, but I don't really know. Given the role of IV saline in many doping scandals, my knee jerk reaction was - how could this guy not know this was illegal?.... But, after hearing him speak, from the heart, completely extemporaneously-- I don't know... (its worth waiting through the ad).... he certainly does not come across as IV league material (couldn't resist). Unless this is all an act to make him sound too dumb to know any better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F54SIn7Ptjw
Quote Reply

Prev Next