Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: IM Santa Rosa 70.3 - Water Temp [sfjab] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sfjab wrote:
Dave -

Just rode the back end of the course and one of the roads, Willowside I think, is unpaved. Currently requires half a mile of cyclo-crossing!

Is that supposed to be done this week or are the organizers looking at a re-route?

Thanks!
maybe leave that section as is, but, make wetsuits required for that section and optional for the rest of the course :-|

I saw this on a white board in a window box at my daughters middle school...
List of what life owes you:
1. __________
2. __________
3. __________
Quote Reply
Re: IM Santa Rosa 70.3 - Water Temp [sfjab] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is being repaved this week

-------------------------
Dave Latourette
http://www.TTENation.com
Quote Reply
Re: IM Santa Rosa 70.3 - Water Temp [Dave Latourette] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any water temp updates....?

Figuring it will be a non wetsuit swim, which is fine w/ me. Just curious as to what the current temp is?

-------------------------------------------------------------
Tough Times Don't Last, Tough People Do.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Santa Rosa 70.3 - Water Temp [TriSpencer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry I do not have an official temp form the weekend ... I'll get official temps in a couple days from swim course staff ... the high temperature for Cloverdale (swim location) the next 5 days = 98-101-104-100-99 ... we'll have official temp at first race briefing on Thursday.

I'm advising athletes to prepare for non wetsuit ... if it is wetsuit legal its is going to be warm

Dave Latourette
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dave Latourette wrote:
Sorry I do not have an official temp form the weekend ... I'll get official temps in a couple days from swim course staff ... the high temperature for Cloverdale (swim location) the next 5 days = 98-101-104-100-99 ... we'll have official temp at first race briefing on Thursday.

I'm advising athletes to prepare for non wetsuit ... if it is wetsuit legal its is going to be warm

Legit question, are you somehow connected to Roka? Yes, its hot during the day but the temp is dropping to something like 59 degrees at night. Most official sites state that the water temp is 70*

I was there last year, I remember that they basically fibbed to get 76.1 for the full, so it was hot but I also remember that it was still really hot at night, which is the big difference with this year.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Santa Rosa 70.3 - Water Temp [BrentwoodTriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Roka? My affiliation to Roka is that they have supported my coaching business since they launched the brand. That's it ... ... I don't care if athletes wear a wetsuit, speedsuit, budgy smuggler, tri kit etc. ...

The weather this year is similar to last year, as would be almost any year. You mention official sites? The are no official sites unless you want to consider the one with "Estimated Temp" as official? There are fishing sites where they say recent temp is 75-76 (who knows where the water temp was taken)

All I can tell you is last weekend it was 77 degrees on the swim course. My advice to athletes is be prepared for water temp near the limit and possibly over. If we have a number of windy days as well as marine layer over the lake the water temp will drop (its a big lake with COLD water down deep) ... the opposite will drive the temp up. All I know living here is what the weather is like, what the trends are and how they effect race day (water temp, air temp, wind direction, speed etc.) as well as trying to provide insight to that. Nobody has to believe it ;-)

BTW ... water temp on race day in mid May was 67 degrees if I remember correctly
EDIT ... If I get anything official before THURS i will post here

Dave Latourette
Last edited by: Dave Latourette: Jul 23, 18 13:06
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BrentwoodTriGuy wrote:
Dave Latourette wrote:

Legit question, are you somehow connected to Roka? Yes, its hot during the day but the temp is dropping to something like 59 degrees at night. Most official sites state that the water temp is 70*

I was there last year, I remember that they basically fibbed to get 76.1 for the full, so it was hot but I also remember that it was still really hot at night, which is the big difference with this year.

A friend swam there this past weekend in a swimskin... she didn't get a water temperature reading but she compared it to the pool where we swim (likely 78 degrees) and said it would be uncomfortable in a wetsuit if the temperature was like this past weekend.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m curious how others plan to approach the race on Saturday. This will be only my third 70.3 race, and the first one where the water temp might fall between 76.2 and 83.8. I’m an OK swimmer, but definitely more comfortable in a wetsuit during a race. I’m a MOP age grouper on a good day and the last things on my mind are age group awards or world championship slots. I’m sure inclined to just wear the wetsuit. Is there anything I’m not taking into account? thanks
Quote Reply
Re: IM Santa Rosa 70.3 - Water Temp [chasb533533] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chasb533533 wrote:
I’m curious how others plan to approach the race on Saturday. This will be only my third 70.3 race, and the first one where the water temp might fall between 76.2 and 83.8. I’m an OK swimmer, but definitely more comfortable in a wetsuit during a race. I’m a MOP age grouper on a good day and the last things on my mind are age group awards or world championship slots. I’m sure inclined to just wear the wetsuit. Is there anything I’m not taking into account? thanks

You'll be hot and potentially over heating. If you are a MOP, then who cares if they wet suit saves a few minutes to your time. I'd ditch the wet suit and just wear your tri kit, or consider buying a swimskin (Roka or other vendors will be selling them at the expo), which will reduce the drag that your tri kit add on the swim. Or if you race in a two piece tri kit, don't wear the top and just wear your shorts.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Water Temp Today = 75.5 degrees

Dave Latourette
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First timer here Dave. I am assuming with that temp and the lack of time before Saturday we will be wetsuit legal?

JC
Quote Reply
Re: IM Santa Rosa 70.3 - Water Temp [Tri_JC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If I were racing I would not assume wetsuit legal (Frankly at that temp I don't want to wear a wetsuit) ... the Forecast high temp for Cloverdale (where the lake is) the next 4 days = 100-107-107-102

There are other factors at play like wind on that lake churning some cooler water up ... BUT, i'd be prepared for both scenarios. We'll have morning water temp updates daily at race briefings ... final call will be made about 5am race morning

BTW for anyone reading ... this will be the case EVERY year in July give or take a couple degrees ... last year it was 76.1 on race day

Dave Latourette
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Has the fog really been that dense that they may cancel the swim? Really hope not.....

Quote Reply
Re: IM Santa Rosa 70.3 - Water Temp [TriSpencer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Swim cancelled. TT bike start.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by windschatten [ In reply to ]
Re: IM Santa Rosa 70.3 - Water Temp [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
do non-swimmers swim 1.2 miles ? really if I was a non-swimmer I would not even try it. Everyone who signs up for a 70.3 should be a competent swimmer = should be no need to cancel the swim portion
Quote Reply
Re: IM Santa Rosa 70.3 - Water Temp [spntrxi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spntrxi wrote:
do non-swimmers swim 1.2 miles ? really if I was a non-swimmer I would not even try it. Everyone who signs up for a 70.3 should be a competent swimmer = should be no need to cancel the swim portion

Clearly you've never been in a kayak during a 70.3 for swim safety.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windschatten wrote:
SummitAK wrote:
Swim cancelled. TT bike start.

F#ck this... I am so done with those WTC Duathlons in California.... #neveragain
The hysteria about non-wet suit swims and the catering to the lowest denominator (essential non-swimmers).

Safety my a$$.... plan better (you know fog is a factor at certain times of the year), set more buoys or plan the swim along the shoreline to begin with...whatever.
Rant over.

Get over yourself dude. No way that swim could have been safe, period.
Quote Reply
Last edited by: windschatten: Jul 28, 18 14:58
Quote | Reply
Bring back the Russian River.

Separately I was surprised at the number of participants that were thrilled the swim was cancelled.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
WTC made the right call. I have done a swim in that much fog and got way off course. It would have been dangerous even for us experienced swimmers.
It hurt my race as I usually am top 5 in my age group in the swim.
Oh yah, get over yourself 😜

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply
Re: IM Santa Rosa 70.3 - Water Temp [maluminse] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
maluminse wrote:
Bring back the Russian River.

Separately I was surprised at the number of participants that were thrilled the swim was cancelled.
I was thinking the same thing. The Russian river must be about the safest swim venue you could find since at any time you could simply stand up.

My 2 cents - both WTC and the individual participant have a role to play on the odds of having a swim. WTC needs to evaluate locations better for risk of cancelled / shortened swims (i.e. understand the weather better and have contingency plans). But also, as a participant, we should do our own research and look for courses with less changes of cancelled swims. I know there is always a risk, but some are more sensitive than others.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was also amazed seeing people happy about the cancelled swim. You do know you signed up for a triathlon, right?

I wondered today... might there be a way to still do the swim with a later start but shorter time limit to be off the bike? And give the athlete an option... like today it could have been... if you swim, you have to be on the run in 4 hours. If not, you’re pulled off the course. If you’re worried about that, there will be a TT bike start. I know this would be trickier to manage but IM is a big enough organization I imagine they could come up with something.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Santa Rosa 70.3 - Water Temp [ronbizkit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In my 37 years of triathlon, I have never seen so many people with flats. I did the Vineman course over 20 times, but thought their rough roads were smoother.

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply

Prev Next