Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Will Javier Gomez run Sub 2:40? **Video Interview** [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cyclenutnz wrote:
Double-Double wrote:

Fasted woman on the run according to IM tracker.

I coach the leader, her race plan based on the others fading after hard starts

T. Adam- I was looking at her consistent pacing on the bike and run.
Quote Reply
Re: Will Javier Gomez run Sub 2:40? **Video Interview** [andy12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
andy12 wrote:
If Curry wins I know everyone will be like 'oh yea Gomez just went for the experience, wasn't peaking etc' but this shows that Curry is a very good athlete, hopefully puts him on more peoples radars around here.

Heck of a showing by Gomez for his first outing. Heck of a showing by Currie too to take the win. Amazing to see athletes pushing each other so far, so hard. Breaking 8 is becoming a regular to win big races. It is far better for the Gomez fans to have him lose this race then to win it. He will be more hungry and have a greater respect for the training and will perform better in Kona than had he won.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Will Javier Gomez run Sub 2:40? **Video Interview** [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
andy12 wrote:
If Curry wins I know everyone will be like 'oh yea Gomez just went for the experience, wasn't peaking etc' but this shows that Curry is a very good athlete, hopefully puts him on more peoples radars around here.

Heck of a showing by Gomez for his first outing. Heck of a showing by Currie too to take the win. Amazing to see athletes pushing each other so far, so hard. Breaking 8 is becoming a regular to win big races. It is far better for the Gomez fans to have him lose this race then to win it. He will be more hungry and have a greater respect for the training and will perform better in Kona than had he won.

Perfect day for Gomez, windy conditions, big time field, he checked all the boxes, proving (to himself) that he can handle the distance. He will be much better with full focus on prep for Kona.
Quote Reply
Re: Will Javier Gomez run Sub 2:40? **Video Interview** [Double-Double] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Double-Double wrote:

T. Adam- I was looking at her consistent pacing on the bike and run.

That's what you get with a 2w variation between AP and NP
Quote Reply
Re: Will Javier Gomez run Sub 2:40? **Video Interview** [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Great race by Gomez but again I do not understand the lack of understanding history by some of how hard it is (even for the very best itu guys - at first) to blow fields away

I think this just shows it’s not going to be a runway Gomez show at Kona.

I can’t think of one itu person who ran away with kona their first attempt.
Quote Reply
Re: Will Javier Gomez run Sub 2:40? **Video Interview** [Canuck1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wish I came second at a championship race on my first crack at ironman.

Great performance by the top 4 guys.

If only there was video coverage for the run.

Ironman sucked big time.

Rhymenocerus wrote:
I think everyone should consult ST before they do anything.
Quote Reply
Re: Will Javier Gomez run Sub 2:40? **Video Interview** [PJC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks like Currie snuck under 2.40 for the marathon. And Gomez must have been pretty close to 2.40
Quote Reply
Re: Will Javier Gomez run Sub 2:40? **Video Interview** [andy12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Javier ran a 2:41:02

And did 7:56.

Sub 8 on his first attempt.

Awesome.

Rhymenocerus wrote:
I think everyone should consult ST before they do anything.
Quote Reply
Re: Will Javier Gomez run Sub 2:40? **Video Interview** [Canuck1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Canuck1 wrote:

Great race by Gomez but again I do not understand the lack of understanding history by some of how hard it is (even for the very best itu guys - at first) to blow fields away

I think this just shows it’s not going to be a runway Gomez show at Kona.

I can’t think of one itu person who ran away with kona their first attempt.

Somewhat agree, but Frodeno came in and went 3rd, 1st and 1st in his first 3 Kona attempts (with his first attempt also coming in the first season after he retired from ITU). Gomez was a significantly better ITU athlete than Frodo, and has been winning major 70.3 races for 4 years, so it's not unreasonable to think he could step up and dominate at IM from the start.
Quote Reply
Re: Will Javier Gomez run Sub 2:40? **Video Interview** [cartsman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This, and im thinking Frodeno could have won his first year if he hadn’t flatted.
Great race by Currie, really impressed!
Same goes for Gomez and i think most of us have agreed with his sentiment at some point “The race was just 10km too long”.

Terrible Tuesday’s Triathlon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Luc van Lierde was a short course guy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PJC wrote:

Awesome.

Agreed 100%.
Quote Reply
Re: Will Javier Gomez run Sub 2:40? **Video Interview** [bluefever] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Completely agreeing he can and will very likley win big full distance races and kona but my comment was more directed at the talk he would cruise and could win easy because he’s a short course stud and they can win easily and right away - that is very rare.

Not taking away from what he has done here as it’s quite something. But he did not do it easy and he did not win which I think is only part of what will be a quick learning curve for him given his ability.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Amazing and his longest run was 30 or 35km.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Canuck1 wrote:
Completely agreeing he can and will very likley win big full distance races and kona but my comment was more directed at the talk he would cruise and could win easy because he’s a short course stud and they can win easily and right away - that is very rare.

Not taking away from what he has done here as it’s quite something. But he did not do it easy and he did not win which I think is only part of what will be a quick learning curve for him given his ability.

It's gonna be interesting moving forward what JG can do. I still believe he will win in 2019 maybe podium this year. Given it's his first race there will be improvement. Also it's June so I would imagine he will be in better shape come Kona (Not that he didn't taper for this).

The last 10km was my only real doubt about JG going into this race, given fast 10km pace doesn't necessarily translate to marathon prowess. From today's results there's work to do but not too much given he didn't completely blow up. Sub 2:40 in Kona is possible this year.

But how about Currie?! Legit contender if fit and healthy?
Quote Reply
Re: Will Javier Gomez run Sub 2:40? **Video Interview** [Adman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great race, superb by the podium trio. Gomez was every bit as good as I thought, a 7:56 with 2:41 could easily have won.

Main take away is that yes the ‘new’ generation of ITU studs are better than Frodo was, but they’re entering a more competitive long course field.

We’re going to have fun seeing how it unfolds. Love it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PJC wrote:

Awesome.

This is awesome for sure. I hope that running a 2:41 marathon in June does not take the legs out from under him at Kona when he may need to run the same and he ends up flat and runs 2:48. Has anyone run sub 2:42 twice in the same year and won Kona as the second one? It feels like runninig 2:44 will be needed at Kona. I think Frodo will be double motivated to bike with ths Sanders+Kienle train and gap both Lange and Gomez as much as possible into T2. If Frodo runs 2:48 off a 5 min gap at T2, you will need a 2:42 or so for the win.This will be awesome. I don't see Gomez keeping up with the bike train in Kona.

I do think his shorter long run plan is the right way to roll in training
Quote Reply
Re: Will Javier Gomez run Sub 2:40? **Video Interview** [Double-Double] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
She raced well and ran beautifully.

A few good kiwis coming out of that race!!

Good to see rinny again she looks super lean. Beth for 3rd.
Quote Reply
Re: Will Javier Gomez run Sub 2:40? **Video Interview** [IamSpartacus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
beth mckenzie 2:55 off the bike hahahahahaha

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Will Javier Gomez run Sub 2:40? **Video Interview** [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:

x2.

Gonna be a serious challenger already first year in Kona it seems. I think it was good results for all three on the podium.
Currie to see that he can challenge the best for real and for Bozzone to see where he is on his path to Kona
Quote Reply
Re: Will Javier Gomez run Sub 2:40? **Video Interview** [talbotcox] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well 2:41.....man so slow ROFL....wow hes incredible!! Thats a fantastic start to his Ironman debut.....and you would think he will only get better. :)

"see the world as it is not as you want it to be"
Quote Reply
Re: Will Javier Gomez run Sub 2:40? **Video Interview** [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
beth mckenzie 2:55 off the bike hahahahahaha
Yes. Incredible performance. They keep saying Rinny back from having a baby but so is Beth and she out ran her by a bit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Sub 8 on his first attempt. //

You guys need to not get too caught up on times here, actual athlete comparisons are more telling. Take a look at who won, who was right behind him, and their times. It was an OK debut for him, I'm sure he learned a ton out there to move forward. But it was not a top 5 Kona type race for him, but that is ok too. It was a very fast course and that suits him, Kona is not. And I can think of 5 guys that were not there that would have been out in front off the bike, and who can also run those speeds they did.

All in all it was what I expected, really glad Currie had an awesome day to keep it all in perspective. We dont have to wonder if Javier had anything left, he didn't. If he had won by a minute, then there would be all the speculation of could he have run 2;35 and just did enough to win. I'll say that this race did show a new contender for Kona, and Javier is not the only one..Time for those two to start working on their bike speed now for 112, that is where Kona will be much different than this race, and then running low 2;40's off those little bit more tired legs...
Quote Reply
Re: Will Javier Gomez run Sub 2:40? **Video Interview** [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lots of guys sub 2:50 on this run... short course again?

what does this race mean for gomez and kona... no qualification?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you read what I've said on Gomez, I've been very adament that I dont think he wins Kona on 1st try. History/race conditions/luck/other athletes is likely hard to overcome on the 1st try. We've seen it what 1 time in 40 years, and we can say Frodo could have done it but he didn't.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply

Prev Next