Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Will Javier Gomez run Sub 2:40? **Video Interview** [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I believe as 70.3 champ he needed o validate with a full. Should be set for Kona.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Re: Will Javier Gomez run Sub 2:40? **Video Interview** [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
180 k bike

40 km run
Quote Reply
Re: Will Javier Gomez run Sub 2:40? **Video Interview** [stevie g] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry 178 k bike
Quote Reply
Re: Will Javier Gomez run Sub 2:40? **Video Interview** [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
If you read what I've said on Gomez, I've been very adament that I dont think he wins Kona on 1st try. History/race conditions/luck/other athletes is likely hard to overcome on the 1st try. We've seen it what 1 time in 40 years, and we can say Frodo could have done it but he didn't.

Agreed. People just greatly underestimate how hard Kona is, the conditions, the environment, the competition.

Gomez will probably play as a factor in the race and if he comes off the bike in a strong position others might play off him on the run.

But when you have Frodeno with experience and is incredibly hungry and the rest of the town contenders vs Gomez, well its not just that easy for Gomez.
Quote Reply
Re: Will Javier Gomez run Sub 2:40? **Video Interview** [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
If you read what I've said on Gomez, I've been very adament that I dont think he wins Kona on 1st try. History/race conditions/luck/other athletes is likely hard to overcome on the 1st try. We've seen it what 1 time in 40 years, and we can say Frodo could have done it but he didn't.

I think we should all be able to agree on 2 things-Kona is incredibly difficult, maybe impossible for a first-timer to win; if anyone can do it, it's Gomez.
Quote Reply
Re: Will Javier Gomez run Sub 2:40? **Video Interview** [eganski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
agreed

eganski wrote:
B_Doughtie wrote:

I think we should all be able to agree on 2 things-Kona is incredibly difficult, maybe impossible for a first-timer to win; if anyone can do it, it's Gomez.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Will Javier Gomez run Sub 2:40? **Video Interview** [eganski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes and I think it's fair to say the level of competition is the highest we've seen right now in LC? So if he does it, it will be a great effort and great race for sure.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: Will Javier Gomez run Sub 2:40? **Video Interview** [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cyclenutnz wrote:
Double-Double wrote:

Fasted woman on the run according to IM tracker.

I coach the leader, her race plan based on the others fading after hard starts

Great to see a former pro water polo player becoming a top triathlete!!! Thought it was very cool that Teresa found it hard to believe she had actually won. How old is she and how long has she been doing triathlons???

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Will Javier Gomez run Sub 2:40? **Video Interview** [stevie g] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevie g wrote:
180 k bike

40 km run

2km short on the bike and run... so really these guys didnt crack 8 hours
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
stevie g wrote:
180 k bike

40 km run

Or as Ironman Texas would say, the course was a bit long.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
eganski wrote:
synthetic wrote:
stevie g wrote:
180 k bike

40 km run

That's gold.

But wasn't TX about the same? ~2km short? Seems within margin of error.

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lots of guys sub 2:50 on this run... short course again? //

Like I said, dont pay too much attention to the times, just look at the places, and who got them. Someone posted that the run was 2k short, if so that means that Gomez's time is just a bit under 2;50, so a solid effort but not to his actual speed. Think the bike was a bit short too, so there is your sub 8 hours out the window right there..

But it was a great race, the boys went full gas, and it was an honest effort to see how Gomez stacks up. I'm not writing him off as of yet, it was his first race after all. He is a really smart dude and he is going to take a look at what he did and what he now needs to do. He knows this was not Kona, not even close. He is a student of the entire sport, has been his whole career, so he is not under any illusions.

But like others have pointed out, a few have won Kona on their first outing(men and women) and certainly Frodo probably would have without mishaps his first year. But you have to factor in the mishap variable, as more than half the pros each year have one in some form or another. Another 1/3 of them just get caught up in an unsustainable pace, and then you have the handful that actually finish strong(or hang on) for the podium. No doubt in my mind that Gomez will be in that mixup for the first 7 hours of the race, that last hour is what he has to work on from now until October..
Quote Reply
Re: Will Javier Gomez run Sub 2:40? **Video Interview** [CCF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CCF wrote:
eganski wrote:
synthetic wrote:
stevie g wrote:
180 k bike

40 km run

That's gold.

But wasn't TX about the same? ~2km short? Seems within margin of error.

What the hell is a km? There are two types of countries-those that use the metric system, and those that landed on the moon.

Just kidding. I thought the bike at Texas was 4-5 miles short?
Quote Reply
Re: Will Javier Gomez run Sub 2:40? **Video Interview** [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No one in their right mind is going to want to tow Gomez and Lange round in a legal bike pack in Kona, if you thought there were fireworks late in the bike last year my assessment is there will be even more this year!

David

David T-D
http://www.tilburydavis.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kona will be very interesting, depending on who tries to go with Burgs in the swim. If Frodo does, I'm thinking Gomez will as well, but if he doesn't there is no use and he can just chill in the big pack and then get aboard the train. I think either way Gomez will likely enter T2 around the same time as Lange/Nilsson and 5+ min behind Frodo/Sanders/Kienle/Wurf which means either of the need a sub 2:40 to win, and two of them have proven they can do this, Gomez is still unsure though I think it looks good for him.

Terrible Tuesday’s Triathlon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Side Note on Frodo's 3rd in 2014:

He also got a penalty after the flat, at this level (at least at Kona) a penalty, I would argue is lack of attention or lack of experience...IE he lost focus for a few seconds trying to catch up and got too close.

Other thing is I saw him walking the first few aid stations of the run....basically taking in 10+ cups of what ever, ice/water on his head....sponges you name it.

I remember texting a few friends in town "Frodo out and walking at 8km...looks like dehydration"

Met them for beers and by far (eyeball test) he was the fastest runner coming back at 15km...of course we had a few beers...

Anyways point being that the 3rd was (1st time in) was a way tougher experience than both his wins, obviously he took those lessons and analyzed/learnt/improved.

People go on about Frodo like he's "just a great athlete" In my view he has learnt the game and is the "mental" favourite at this point.

Maurice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think Gomez confirmed that he will be a contender for the podium in Kona. More importantly Currie proved he is a legitimate threat for the Kona podium. Currie's 2017 Ironman New Zealand win and third place last year in Cairns was not a fluke. Unfortunately for Currie, he had a race mishap that wrecked his Kona race last year and didn't get the recognition he deserved for his excellent season last year.

I think both Gomez and Currie will be smart to race like Lange and McNamee did last year, as racing with the big bike hitters in Kona will wreck their run legs there.
Last edited by: Spandexboy: Jun 10, 18 13:02
Quote Reply
Re: Will Javier Gomez run Sub 2:40? **Video Interview** [Spandexboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree, Braden Currie is just unbelievable. He just goes and goes and goes. Impressive stuff! He is a legit wildcard at Kona for sure if he gets it right - can swim front group, bike there and runs like a deer...

Brent

DFRU - Detta Family Racing Unit...the kids like it and we all get out and after it...gotta keep the fam involved!
Quote Reply
Re: Will Javier Gomez run Sub 2:40? **Video Interview** [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:

Great to see a former pro water polo player becoming a top triathlete!!! Thought it was very cool that Teresa found it hard to believe she had actually won.

Make no mistake - the plan was to go for the win. But having a plan is different from the reality of putting it together and getting the desired result. And she'd crossed the line so was in normal personality ('I like ponies and bunny rabbits') vs race mentality ('I rejoice in the suffering of my adversaries and the lamentations of their menfolk')

Quote:
How old is she and how long has she been doing triathlons???

28, joined national ITU program at 18. Got thoroughly burned out and broken by ~23 (ie TRINZ SOP) and started back at 25. Persuaded her to focus on IM last year as it was clear her talents would be wasted on trying for an ITU comeback (wasted in the sense that she is a diesel and would be fighting against that to succeed in ITU, instead of embracing it for IM).

Was only in Cairns for a couple of days so think the short recovery from travel impacted swim and run.
Last edited by: cyclenutnz: Jun 10, 18 15:28
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
lots of guys sub 2:50 on this run... short course again?

what does this race mean for gomez and kona... no qualification?
41.94km on my Garmin
Quote Reply
Re: Will Javier Gomez run Sub 2:40? **Video Interview** [dfru] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Has he run a low 2:40 though? Since Cairns was short and equals a high 2:40 which he also did in NZ. I don't think anyone who cant run sub 2:45 is going on the podium, especially if they aren't uberbikers, top 10 threat for sure though.

Terrible Tuesday’s Triathlon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
stevie g wrote:
180 k bike

40 km run

178 km bike
42 km run on my garmins. Run wasn’t short so still under 8 hours in my opinion.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
stevie g wrote:
180 k bike

40 km run

112miles is 180.2km, which is exactly what Teresas file shows
And 42.1km for run
Do the people saying it was short have double letters in their names?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
3 times in 40 years in the men. Obviously Gordon Haller did it, Dave Scott, and LVL.
In the women, if you ignore the first few years, Chrissie Wellington.
Quote Reply
Re: Will Javier Gomez run Sub 2:40? **Video Interview** [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm sure it was just baby doping this time tho
Quote Reply

Prev Next