Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Not surprised Trump is a racist [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:

The problem with Republicans is they want to elect the "perfect" candidate.

And this is the best they could come up with? Never mind Trump, but the names in the Primary were laughable. Those debates belonged on Comedy Central.

Yikes.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: Not surprised Trump is a racist [oldandslow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When Bush 2 ran, I was heavily involved in GOP politics, eagerly voting for him, eagerly volunteering, spending time at university and simultaneously managing another campaign on the side, organizing student volunteerism. I was all in for the GOP, could not wait to vote for the guy, couldn't be a stronger evangelist for him.

Then some things happened with his policies and the party's that made me start asking questions. Somewhere within there, I started to see gamesmanship and corruption within our state party. I suddenly realized that they were no better than the Dems. And I realized that I wasn't a Republican, but nor was I a Democrat. I was politically homeless, and after getting use to it & taking my exit from the party it was a glorious thing. I became like the anti-Bush evangelist.

But to this day, I still maintain that he would be an awesome guy to go mountain biking with and have a conversation over beers and tacos with afterward. He might be near the top of my dream list for that. There's something that just seems awesome about the Bush family as people and a family, despite how much I dislike their political stances today. In my deepest heart, I don't believe that George W invaded Iraq & Afghanistan with anything less than a real belief that it was the right thing to do, that it was going to stop an evil force, even if the intelligence didn't make sense with the narrative. I just don't see it as an an evil-spirited intention, even if it has been extremely poorly executed and has had the evil consequences of innocent people dying for no good reason and American taxpayers being on the hook for many generations, really for absolutely no payoff. (Although, dear god, I sure wish Jeb were the current POTUS over the mean-spirited train wreck we currently have.)

So, Mr. Bush, if you see this, let's arrange a mountain biking & taco date. I'll bring the beer from Microbrew-Central, USA, West Michigan.

oldandslow wrote:
Quote:

Both Bush 2 and Obama (as well as Reagain, Carter, Bush Sr.) were highly respected for their family values and for their compassion to people from all walks of life, no one can deny that.

This. Gregtryin can't separate his political disagreements from personal attributes.
Quote Reply
Re: Not surprised Trump is a racist [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
dave_w wrote:
j p o wrote:
dave_w wrote:
Sanuk wrote:
And this is what makes those with Trump Derangement Syndrome so pathetic. They'll use pretzel logic to twist anything he says into racism.

This is what I don't understand. The President of the U.S goes and publicly calls other countries shitholes, and his defenders knee jerk reaction is to defend him and label anyone who deems it inappropriate as people with Trump Derangement Syndrome.

The office of the President used to be seen as lofty and the person holding the position revered and respected, Now, many people seem to be perfectly fine with his adolescent comments.

It really is difficult to understand and has nothing to do with TDS although I'm sure that will be used against me.

-
What I don't get is people not knowing that he did not say it publicly, it was in a closed door meeting with some congress critters. Tactless, tasteless, and Trumpian, but not public, and not the type of thing we don't see reported about many if not most presidents, the difference being it's usually after they are out of office. It was leaked, back to my Lance analogy, and the fact that he is hated by so many on both sides, and I would not even bet it was a dem that leaked it.

Do you think it is more or less likely to reflect his true feelings when said behind closed doors?

Body of work has been in the news here lately. Apply it to Trump. What do you come up with on this topic?

-
Pointed out to Sanuk because I respect his opinions, and want to stay close to reality here, not facts be damned emotional response. As to the Donald, comments probably reflect his feelings, and he may indeed be racist (though i wonder if more of a 12yo bubble boy, owing to a lifetime of ridiculous wealth). I think I long ago moved past what Trump says, and to a place where I say "okay, what does the policy proposal look like?" and largely ignore him. I guess I got to "at this point, what difference does it make?", as he is POTUS, we get what we get unless and until he does something impeachable.

Here's how I came to reconcile myself to that guy in the White House being my president, just as I learned -- over time (okay, really after 2012 ;-) -- to do the same for his predecessor:

Not a fan of the state of politics today of the past several years .... but that there is funny. Well done!

drn92 (aka Mahogany Stallion)
Quote Reply
Re: Not surprised Trump is a racist [MidwestRoadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I tend to agree with you regarding Bush and Iraq. I think it is a good thing to surround yourself with people more knowledgeable than you are, and to seek their advice. I think we saw the negative side of that with Bush in that he trusted people who provided bad advice.

I am kind of like you with respect to political parties. I think both of them (D and R) are untrustworthy. It is disgusting that Trump and Hillary came out of the primaries as the candidates.
Quote Reply
Re: Not surprised Trump is a racist [Spiridon Louis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Spiridon Louis wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:
Ok, I think I have my answer. Let's move on...

l seriously doubt that you do. But just for kicks, what do you think my answer is?

I believe the reason you have repeatedly avoided answering the question is that you are not able to give an explanation for your comment that wouldn't sound overtly racist. If you ARE able to, then why don't you?
Quote Reply
Re: Not surprised Trump is a racist [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yesterday, actually. ;-)

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Re: Not surprised Trump is a racist [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kay Serrar wrote:
Spiridon Louis wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:

l seriously doubt that you do. But just for kicks, what do you think my answer is?

I believe the reason you have repeatedly avoided answering the question is that you are not able to give an explanation for your comment that wouldn't sound overtly racist. If you ARE able to, then why don't you?

Any of the unflattering things l would stereotypically say about the refugees I’m imagining would have nothing to do with their race. But you would automatically assume it would. Which really makes you the racist.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Spiridon Louis wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:
Spiridon Louis wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:

Any of the unflattering things l would stereotypically say about the refugees I’m imagining would have nothing to do with their race. But you would automatically assume it would. Which really makes you the racist.

No, I'm assuming the risk of sounding racist is why you haven't answered. What unflattering things about refugees from those countries leads you to guess people wouldn't want them in their homes?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kay Serrar wrote:
Spiridon Louis wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:
Spiridon Louis wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:

No, I'm assuming the risk of sounding racist is why you haven't answered. What unflattering things about refugees from those countries leads you to guess people wouldn't want them in their homes?

Dirty, smell bad, don’t speak English, don’t know them so how do u trust them, what’s the end game/when are they leaving. Could probably come up with some other stuff too. And could be some but not all of those. l just described a refugee from Haiti and my in laws. Wanting neither staying at my house doesn’t make me a racist or and ageist, which was my only point. It’s the stuff, not the race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Spiridon Louis wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:
Spiridon Louis wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:
Spiridon Louis wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:

Dirty, smell bad, don’t speak English, don’t know them so how do u trust them, what’s the end game/when are they leaving. Could probably come up with some other stuff too. And could be some but not all of those. l just described a refugee from Haiti and my in laws. Wanting neither staying at my house doesn’t make me a racist or and ageist, which was my only point. It’s the stuff, not the race.

Wow.

I have been friends with and employed many Haitians and they all seemed to know how to shower.

Anyway, thanks for the answer. Enlightening...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So all potential refugees and immigrants from Haiti are automatically like this and should be dismissed outright as a result? And those things make them less worthy of our compassion?

Because that’s really the gist of Trump’s blanket statement. It can’t be taken any other way when immediately followed with the “those people from Norway” part of the conversation. Taken in that full context, it cannot be looked at any other way than the racially charged, racist comment it actually is.

He’s an ass, but unfortunately we’re stuck with him and can only hope his Congressional power is neutered in November. It’s time for the GOP to recognize that he’s not just an anchor, but the one blowing a hole in the ship and dump his ass while there’s still time to call the Coast Guard & salvage something.

Spiridon Louis wrote:
Quote Reply
Re: Not surprised Trump is a racist [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
JSA wrote:

And this is the best they could come up with? Never mind Trump, but the names in the Primary were laughable. Those debates belonged on Comedy Central.

Yikes.

Why did you cut off the rest of my comment?

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kay Serrar wrote:
Spiridon Louis wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:
Spiridon Louis wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:
Spiridon Louis wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:

Wow.

I have been friends with and employed many Haitians and they all seemed to know how to shower.

Just stop. Type in “Haitian refugee” on google and then hit “images.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Spiridon Louis wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:
Spiridon Louis wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:
Spiridon Louis wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:
Spiridon Louis wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:

Wow.

You're suggesting that *I* should just stop?!

I can see why you were fearful of giving an answer now at least.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Spiridon Louis wrote:
Dirty, smell bad, don’t speak English, don’t know them so how do u trust them, what’s the end game/when are they leaving.

That described my 2 yr old niece to a tee. Fuck my brother & his wife if they think their little princess is staying with me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was talking to one of our ICU nurses last night, whom I would call a friend, about all this. She's Haitian-born, has two sisters, both professionals, and parents who celebrated their 40th wedding anniversary recently. She's exceptional in ways that make her a great fit four our unit, someone you can't help but think what a great job her parents did in raising her right. We have several African-born nurses in our ICU and SICU as well. It's really hard to imagine what it must feel like to have the President of the United States single you and your family out as undesirables unworthy of citizenship, and to have these partisan lapdogs explicitly or implicitly endorse his bigotry.

Every one of those nurses, and presumably their parents, have carved out a life for themselves and their children with little resources and hardships that most of us typing away on a triathlon forum have never had to endure. Certainly our born-rich consequence-immune President has no frame of reference for such life experiences.

The defenses of his comments I've seen here and from his surrogates are just depressing.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Last edited by: sphere: Jan 13, 18 14:12
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:
JSA wrote:

Yikes.

"Clinton was a complete and utter shit bag of of the nth degree. But, he was a good President, overall. Clinton taught me to separate the man from the position.

The problem with Republicans is they want to elect the "perfect" candidate. That's how Trump got into office, never winning majority support from any group. The problem with Donkeys is all they look for is the "D" behind the name. "

There you go. Feel better?

In retrospect, Maybe the Pubs did elect the perfect candidate, in that he was really the only one who stood a chance against Hillary. Unfortunately, the perfect candidate to beat Hillary is also the most disgraceful president one could hope for.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow. Thank you for showing us the kind of person you are.

Spiridon Louis wrote:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Spiridon Louis wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:
Spiridon Louis wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:
Spiridon Louis wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:

Actually your body of work on this thread shows you to be a Racist asshole.

If I get banned for saying so, so be it. The truth shall set me free ;)

And I wouldn't have you in my house either.

===============
Proud member of the MSF (Maple Syrup Mafia)
Quote Reply
Re: Not surprised Trump is a racist [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
I was talking to one of our ICU nurses last night, whom I would call a friend, about all this. She's Haitian-born, has two sisters, both professionals, and parents who celebrated their 40th wedding anniversary recently. She's exceptional in ways that make her a great fit four our unit, someone you can't help but think what a great job her parents did in raising her right. We have several African-born nurses in our ICU and SICU as well. It's really hard to imagine what it must feel like to have the President of the United States single you and your family out as undesirables unworthy of citizenship, and to have these partisan lapdogs explicitly or implicitly endorse his bigotry.

Every one of those nurses, and presumably their parents, have carved out a life for themselves and their children with little resources and hardships that most of us typing away on a triathlon forum have never had to endure. Certainly our born-rich consequence-immune President has no frame of reference for such life experiences.

The defenses of his comments I've seen here and from his surrogates are just depressing.

Depressing is right.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
JSA wrote:

Yikes.

Mostly agree, but John Kasich, the governor of Ohio, was a serious candidate and fairly moderate, and stood out from the others. He was my hands down favorite of anyone to vote for as President, but sadly, there was no stopping the wave of populism that swept Trump into office.

Quote | Reply
That's true. Good call.

Quote Reply
Re: Not surprised Trump is a racist [CaptainCanada] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Which is funny since l haven’t mentioned race once. RACE has nothing to do with what I’m talking about. Which is my whole point. l don’t want some homeless guy the same race as me living in my house either, for the EXACT SAME REASONS l don’t want the Haitian refugee. Which means it’s not about race. Which is the entire point here. But l said things that made you guys uncomfortable and, instead of debating it or discussing it, you just called me names. Awesome.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
JSA wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:
JSA wrote:

Yikes.

"Clinton was a complete and utter shit bag of of the nth degree. But, he was a good President, overall. Clinton taught me to separate the man from the position.

The problem with Republicans is they want to elect the "perfect" candidate. That's how Trump got into office, never winning majority support from any group. The problem with Donkeys is all they look for is the "D" behind the name. "

There you go. Feel better?

Well, it is perfectly douchey and perfectly LRey to only quote part of a response, then dispute and/or comment on it. So, congrats.

When you put my comment in context, your response evinces its asinine nature in the form of a straw man response.

So, again, congrats.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There's something funny about your response, but, I can't quite put my finger on it...

Quote Reply

Prev Next