Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Not surprised Trump is a racist [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Spiridon Louis wrote:
Harbinger wrote:

My SIL is from one of those African countries. Smart, talented and a quality person.

Trumphole's comments basically said 'we don't want immigrants from poor black countries, we want them from developed white ones'.

Take out the words "black" and "white" and I think you're correct. I don't know your SIL's race, but if she is black, educated, English speaking, and employed she would be far more welcome under any merit-based immigration system than someone who is white, uneducated, non-English speaking, and unemployed. Which means, as hard as it is for some of you to accept, RACE isn't the issue.

My understanding is that Trump specifically mentioned Haiti and Africa as places where he didn't want immigrants from, and Norway as one that he did.

The optics are poor.

They are. But that doesn't make it racist. Racism is saying: No blacks allowed, because they're black. Saying no poor, uneducated, unemployed, non-English speaking people allowed isn't racist, even if that means fewer black people will qualify (have no idea if it means that or not). It's equally racist to say you don't qualify based on merit, but we're going to let you in just because of your race. A white person who is a drain on society is the same drain as a black person. Race just isn't an issue here.
Quote Reply
Re: Not surprised Trump is a racist [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Everyone is focussing on the "shit hole" part of the statement and skipping the fact that he doesn't want immigrants from there.

The LATTER part is what makes it racist. Plenty of doctors, scientists, and business owners have come from shit hole countries. Immigration should be about WHO is coming here, not the quality of the country they came from.

Now before a bunch of you knuckle draggers accuse me of calling you racists because you're white, I'm out of here.

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Re: Not surprised Trump is a racist [Spiridon Louis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Spiridon Louis wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Spiridon Louis wrote:
Harbinger wrote:

My SIL is from one of those African countries. Smart, talented and a quality person.

Trumphole's comments basically said 'we don't want immigrants from poor black countries, we want them from developed white ones'.

Take out the words "black" and "white" and I think you're correct. I don't know your SIL's race, but if she is black, educated, English speaking, and employed she would be far more welcome under any merit-based immigration system than someone who is white, uneducated, non-English speaking, and unemployed. Which means, as hard as it is for some of you to accept, RACE isn't the issue.

My understanding is that Trump specifically mentioned Haiti and Africa as places where he didn't want immigrants from, and Norway as one that he did.

The optics are poor.

They are. But that doesn't make it racist. Racism is saying: No blacks allowed, because they're black. Saying no poor, uneducated, unemployed, non-English speaking people allowed isn't racist, even if that means fewer black people will qualify (have no idea if it means that or not). It's equally racist to say you don't qualify based on merit, but we're going to let you in just because of your race. A white person who is a drain on society is the same drain as a black person. Race just isn't an issue here.

OK. Who's talking about letting people in based on their race?

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Spiridon Louis wrote:
Harbinger wrote:

Son in Law. Father of my grandchildren and a great father and husband. From one of those middle African countries. Educated in the US with his Phd. Same for his father and his brother. He and his brother are recent U.S. citizens via the lottery. His father returned to the African country.

Trumphole's comments were that he didn't want people from shithole countries like Haiti and in Africa and wanted more from Norway. There are two denominators in that statement. Undeveloped vs. developed. Black vs. white. You choose which or both of them were at play. I think based on the numerous instances of statements he has made that this one had a racial element and tone to it.
Last edited by: Harbinger: Jan 12, 18 7:50
Quote Reply
Re: Not surprised Trump is a racist [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:
Sshoreli wrote:
When all my liberal elite, bleeding heart, currently screaming racism, liberal friends start Instagramming vacation pictures of their trips to Haiti, Somalia, Sudan, etc. we can begin to discuss Trump's statement as racist. There is a reason people don't vacation there, they are shitholes. It is a fact. So by visiting nearby countries (i.e., the DR, St. Lucia, countries in Africa that have good safaris) but not others, they are either as racist as they say the President is, or they once again can't handle a true statement.

My liberal elite, bleeding heart physician cousin is currently in Haiti for her annual two week volunteer medical clinic work. She's been posting photos on Facebook all week. Today's her birthday, too.

I'd have to say that kleenex can count coup with this post. Lefty challenge thrown down, lefty picks up gauntlet and scores.

Yo klehner, can I pls refer to you by the "kleenex" moniker? That spellcheck story really was funny. As a result, your posts now get much more attention because of that story. So it is kinda net gain. This paragraph is a sarcasm and derision free zone.

Re. immigration policy of Switzerland. I read the other day that the Swiss are passing some law that says if you, as a refugee spend time on Welfare, you're not eligible for Citizenship until you pay the $$ back. We ought to have a far easier road for prospective immigrants both to come here, and to also become citizens. But lets have a big carrot and a big stick associated with citizenship. Something that will seriously motivate immigrants to become citizens.

Books @ Amazon
"If only he had used his genius for niceness, instead of Evil." M. Smart
Quote Reply
Re: Not surprised Trump is a racist [ironmayb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ironmayb wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:
velocomp wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:

But more seriously, context matters. He's talking about the *people* and saying he wants people from places like Norway instead.

There are plenty of lazy, entitled Norwegians you wouldn't want loving in the US and a ton of hard working, lovely people from Africa who would do anything for a shot at relative freedom of the US.

Just because people happen to be born in to shitty circumstances doesn't mean they should be excluded from a chance at living in the west.

As usual, Trump's remarks are a crude, sweeping generalization that makes little sense. Racist? Probably not. Stupid? Absolutely. That's Trump's forte

this would be my position as well. Very well stated.

Seems like this is the reasonable person's viewpoint. Deviations start from here.
Quote Reply
Re: Not surprised Trump is a racist [RangerGress] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RangerGress wrote:
klehner wrote:
Sshoreli wrote:
When all my liberal elite, bleeding heart, currently screaming racism, liberal friends start Instagramming vacation pictures of their trips to Haiti, Somalia, Sudan, etc. we can begin to discuss Trump's statement as racist. There is a reason people don't vacation there, they are shitholes. It is a fact. So by visiting nearby countries (i.e., the DR, St. Lucia, countries in Africa that have good safaris) but not others, they are either as racist as they say the President is, or they once again can't handle a true statement.

My liberal elite, bleeding heart physician cousin is currently in Haiti for her annual two week volunteer medical clinic work. She's been posting photos on Facebook all week. Today's her birthday, too.

I'd have to say that kleenex can count coup with this post. Lefty challenge thrown down, lefty picks up gauntlet and scores.

Yo klehner, can I pls refer to you by the "kleenex" moniker? That spellcheck story really was funny. As a result, your posts now get much more attention because of that story. So it is kinda net gain. This paragraph is a sarcasm and derision free zone.

If using that makes you happy, go to town.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TIL I learned that the media cannot use the s word unless it is a quote of a public person using it as per FCC rules. One of the reasons the media LOVES THIS STORY.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: Not surprised Trump is a racist [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BarryP wrote:
Everyone is focussing on the "shit hole" part of the statement and skipping the fact that he doesn't want immigrants from there.

The LATTER part is what makes it racist. Plenty of doctors, scientists, and business owners have come from shit hole countries. Immigration should be about WHO is coming here, not the quality of the country they came from.

Now before a bunch of you knuckle draggers accuse me of calling you racists because you're white, I'm out of here.

That is essentially how I see it. Perhaps he didn't mean it that way, but it seems to me that it's fairly reasonable to conclude that he did.

Quote | Reply
BarryP wrote:

No, that's generally Finding Freestyle's job.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Not surprised Trump is a racist [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
len wrote:
TIL I learned that the media cannot use the s word unless it is a quote of a public person using it as per FCC rules. One of the reasons the media LOVES THIS STORY.

Thanks - I was wondering that. It didn't seem to make sense that they would not say the word SHIT, or our they would put "S***" on the screen, but would then say and write shithole.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
Doesn't mean he thinks blacks are inferior to whites, which, since we all seem to have forgotten, is closer to what "racism" actually is.

No, racism is judging an individual to have certain qualities based on preconceived notions of the race the person belongs to.
  • "I think all Asians are good at math. He's Asian, therefore he must be good at math."
  • "I think all white people think loud black people are uppity. You're white, therefore you must think all loud black people are uppity."
  • "I think all Irish people are drunks. He's Irish, therefore he must be a drunk."

We're all racist in some manner because that's human nature; we always judge others based on what we think we know about the characteristics we see. Ideally, we're self-aware enough to understand that that instinctive rush to judgment is not based on what the individual is actually presenting to us, and we don't jump to those conclusions.

Trump isn't self-reflecting enough to check his gut instinct. He believes his gut is preternaturally accurate, so when he says "people from shithole countries" shouldn't be allowed into the US, it's unlikely that he's considered that his presuppositions of a country may not apply to the individuals from that country.
Quote Reply
Re: Not surprised Trump is a racist [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kay Serrar wrote:
len wrote:

Thanks - I was wondering that. It didn't seem to make sense that they would not say the word SHIT, or our they would put "S***" on the screen, but would then say and write shithole.

WNYC radio (public radio) this morning indicated they can't say the word per FCC regulations. At least one longtime host said that.

"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BarryP wrote:

I was reading through the first 20 or so posts and was amazed at how that somehow slipped though the discussion. Rather than address the clear and objectionable substance of the policy proposal (and make no mistake, this was a policy discussion), the ball washers pounced on the anti-Trumpers' criticism of the mildly offensive sound byte.

I mean, it's not that Trump is a racist, it's just that he doesn't want Africans or Haitians coming to the United States, and would prefer that the U.S. be populated by people from places like Norway instead. Construing that as racism is just pure TDS!

We can debate the merits of a merit-based system, but let's not pretend he's suggesting anything other than that African and Haitians, as populations, are inherently undesirable, while white northern Europeans should be given top consideration.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Last edited by: sphere: Jan 12, 18 8:43
Quote Reply
Re: Not surprised Trump is a racist [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
BarryP wrote:

I was reading through the first 20 or so posts and was amazed at how that somehow slipped though the discussion. Rather than address the clear and objectionable substance of the policy proposal (and make no mistake, this was a policy discussion), the ball washers pounced on the anti-Trumpers' criticism of the mildly offensive sound byte.

No longer amazed, and no longer surprised. That's been the modus operandi for about a year.

"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: Not surprised Trump is a racist [swimwithstones] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
swimwithstones wrote:
slowguy wrote:
Doesn't mean he thinks blacks are inferior to whites, which, since we all seem to have forgotten, is closer to what "racism" actually is.

No, racism is judging an individual to have certain qualities based on preconceived notions of the race the person belongs to.
  • "I think all Asians are good at math. He's Asian, therefore he must be good at math."
  • "I think all white people think loud black people are uppity. You're white, therefore you must think all loud black people are uppity."
  • "I think all Irish people are drunks. He's Irish, therefore he must be a drunk."

Nope.

prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one's own race is superior.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Not surprised Trump is a racist [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:
len wrote:

WNYC radio (public radio) this morning indicated they can't say the word per FCC regulations. At least one longtime host said that.

But South Park can say it 162 times and write it another 38 in a single episode. It is an interesting world we live in.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BarryP wrote:

Couldn't resist an attempt at insulting people, huh?

As to the rest of your comment. Do people really think that he opposes doctors, scientists and other hard working professionals and skilled persons from those countries? I can't imagine that he would as they do contribute positively to our society and he should be aware of that. I assume, and could be wrong, that he was thinking about the people who come from those countries and then leach off of society either by committing crimes or by coming here and living off of public assistance. Do you want those people to come here?

Is it fair to say that people from those countries have a less positive contribution to our society versus immigrants from a place like Germany or France (Hey Francois!).

That being said. I dislike Trump and it is leaving a sour taste in my mouth offering possible defenses for this stupid and insensitive statement.
Quote Reply
Re: Not surprised Trump is a racist [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
Lagerhead wrote:
You realize things have changed since the 1840's. We are now a country of 300 million. In the past, we had a wide open country with little population. And, those new immigrants were not entitled to any public assistance.

I wonder if you could use that argument to repeal 2A as well: "hey, the country has changed since we needed muskets to defend ourselves from government"

Nope. Immigration is not a right.

And so off topic. But good try.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:

No one, not even Trump when he mentions he wants people from, for example, Norway. And no one is talking about keeping people out because of race either, not even Trump when he mentions he doesn't want people from, for example, Haiti. It's that simple. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Not surprised Trump is a racist [rick_pcfl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rick_pcfl wrote:
BarryP wrote:

As to the rest of your comment. Do people really think that he opposes doctors, scientists and other hard working professionals and skilled persons from those countries? I can't imagine that he would as they do contribute positively to our society and he should be aware of that. I assume, and could be wrong, that he was thinking about the people who come from those countries and then leach off of society either by committing crimes or by coming here and living off of public assistance. Do you want those people to come here?

Is it fair to say that people from those countries have a less positive contribution to our society versus immigrants from a place like Germany or France (Hey Francois!).

That being said. I dislike Trump and it is leaving a sour taste in my mouth offering possible defenses for this stupid and insensitive statement.

maybe, but that's not what was reported that he said.

Nice pretzel, by the way.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: Not surprised Trump is a racist [rick_pcfl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rick_pcfl wrote:
BarryP wrote:

As to the rest of your comment. Do people really think that he opposes doctors, scientists and other hard working professionals and skilled persons from those countries?

I'm guessing that the concept of doctors, scientists and other hardworking and skilled persons being from these countries is foreign to him. He's probably had zero exposure to such people in his life, and they certainly don't showcase them on Fox News.

"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Spiridon Louis wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:

No one, not even Trump when he mentions he wants people from, for example, Norway. And no one is talking about keeping people out because of race either, not even Trump when he mentions he doesn't want people from, for example, Haiti. It's that simple. Thanks.

Exactly. Saying that he wants people from Norway and not from Haiti and Africa isn't in the least bit possibly racist.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:

maybe, but that's not what was reported that he said.

Nice pretzel, by the way.

We certainly know how careful the media is about accuracy when reporting on Trump.

Pretzel? Nope. Trump is a blowhard, but I can't imagine that he really would oppose hardworking professionals from those countries just because they are from there. If I am wrong, then he is an idiot. Correction, if I am wrong, then he is even a bigger idiot than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's an example of an immigrant from a shithole country:

https://www.google.com/...qhudof6RG0Ui9at45X-K

“Read the transcript.”
Quote Reply

Prev Next