Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Seatpost stuck in my butt [nanCinCT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nancy,

This is a tough question.

From all the reading I have done and seen, world class swimmers keep their heads low in the water. I cannot speak for their line of sight.

You might sacrifice a bit of fore-aft aligment by looking slightly forward but it is so worth it when learning to find your hands and arms.

I do a tremendous amount of swimming with a center snorkel where I never move my head. I use my periferal vision to locate my hands as I swim. I kep my head in a neutral position.

DougStern
Quote Reply
Re: Seatpost stuck in my butt [DougStern] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Doug,

Thanks for the info. Yes, a live coach needs to have a look at what I am doing. Unfortunately, 90% of my swimming is solo, the other 10% is with a "group" in races. As for damaged goods, yes, the entire left side of my body is off a bit from that shoulder separation.

Aztec, I will work from the hips. Like any technical sport, all the motions orginate in your core, so this only makes sense.

Dev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nancy, will this picture help you?

forgive the pathetic drawing, but the key is not so much what your eyes are doing or where you are sighting, more important is what your head is doing:

Where would you want to swim ?
Last edited by: Greg X: Nov 13, 05 11:43
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I saw "Seatpost stuck in my butt", I thought you were talking about this picture

where instead of using a saddle he inserted the seatpost directly in his butt ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Doug, have you tried the Speed Hydralign goggles? I got a pair just to see (they are a cheap investment at $15) and I love them. They take some getting used to, but I definitely feel like I'm swimming better, and I had a couple of breakthrough swim sets using them. It is a weird sensation at first, since you can see in front of you even when you look down (due to the angled lenses), so you will likely do a couple of flip-turns too far from the wall at first. But once you get used to them, they are really great. I felt that my head position was off from doing Masters swims and looking up to make sure I didn't crash into people near the walls, and the Hydralign goggles seemed to help. They seem to be a great training tool based on my 3 months of use.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: Seatpost stuck in my butt [Diablo-Advocato] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I once did a triathon two weeks after a bike crash. I neglected to closely inspect my entire bike.

After finishing first the swim I jumped onto my bike only to find that the rails which hold the seat to the post fell to the ground. My two choices were to bag the race or ride for 25 miles while seated with my knees pinched together.

I elected to finish the bike on a somewhat hilly course. I was once again first into the transition area. As I dismounted the set fell to the ground. My inner thighs were shattered and I could barely run. After running for a mile I was passed by the eventual winner who yelled at me, you swimmers surely cannot run well." After the race we spoke and I related my story. We had a good laugh. He still maintained that I could not run well.

DougStern
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What does April look like?
Quote Reply
Re: Seatpost stuck in my butt [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would like to give them a try. Who makes them and where can I get them?

I will do a search.

thanks,

DougStern
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought mine at the pool, but I know Keifer sells them. The Speedo Hydralign. I have the "training" version, where the lower half of the lense is "frosted," and upper half is angled (the "racing" version does not have the frosting). The frosting keeps you from cheating and looking down with your eyes but not your head. I'll be interested to hear your comments.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: Seatpost stuck in my butt [Monk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Monk,

So far April is wide open.

Where do you live?

DougStern
Quote Reply
Re: Seatpost stuck in my butt [Greg X] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Doug and Greg. My week off comes to an end tomorrow morning when I'll have my face in the water again. I'll mess around with "eyeing" my hands and head position to keep myself motivated.

~~~~
Nancy
~~~~
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i realized you did also ask about sighting.

in a shallow pool, say 3 to 4 ft. deep, i look down, but well ahead of my body, many yards ahead of my body. it is difficult to give an exact no., but with my head position, and my eyes slightly rolled up in their sockets, i can easily see the kicking bubbles if i am right behind a swimmer ahead of me.

i can also easily see the bubbles and churning and sometimes feet of a swimmer ahead of me in open water, but again i must be right behind him/her.

do you, or can you, get some one-on-one swim and technique coaching? that would probably make a big difference for you if you are a beginner.

Where would you want to swim ?
Last edited by: Greg X: Nov 13, 05 17:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Palm Beach Gardens, Florida. April should be pretty nice in New York--little green buds starting to sprout in Central Park. Sun in your face. The annual renewal.
Quote Reply
Re: Seatpost stuck in my butt [Monk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Doug,

Ever thought about coming down to Atlanta for a clinic? I know a bunch of peeps who would be interested.
Quote Reply
Re: Seatpost stuck in my butt [devashish paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Aztec, I will work from the hips. Like any technical sport, all the motions orginate in your core, so this only makes sense.

Dev

I really shouldn't be debating swim technique, but heck, why not?

I'm skeptical about the above statement (beyond the importance of core stability, that is). Lots of golf instructors insist that the hips/core drive the swing. Yet... I can make a swing using only the arms and/or arms and shoulders. Zero hips. The ball will travel about 80% of the distance of a fluid and "complete" swing. That is if you don't massively hook it! Of course, I can also hit my putter >125 yards with a reasonable fade, while YMMV. :-)

Anyway, hips really play more of an alignment roll than contribute much to power. I'm not sure the hips really do much in swimming other than put your lats in a better position to pull?

Too f@ckin depressed from various injuries to care about having a signature line.

Sponsored by Blue Shield PPO.
Quote Reply
Re: Seatpost stuck in my butt [Aztec] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyway, hips really play more of an alignment roll than contribute much to power. I'm not sure the hips really do much in swimming other than put your lats in a better position to pull?

This is exactly what I was thinking the other day. They also connect your upper and lower body, so proper hip rotation should be required to get the correct lower body alignment (ie no fishtailing).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any plans for a Detroit area clinic?
Quote Reply
Re: Seatpost stuck in my butt [devashish paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe. But then again, you might still not fishtail even without any hip action. With a PB, I use zero kick, and therefore zero hip (since the kick is what rotates/sets the hips) and yet don't fishtail. Hmmph.

Also, I'm not sure about Doug's statement about rotating more at the hips than shoulders. I'm pretty sure I rotate as one -- like a log. If not, then more above the waist than below it. Maybe that's why I suck!

Too f@ckin depressed from various injuries to care about having a signature line.

Sponsored by Blue Shield PPO.
Quote Reply
Re: Seatpost stuck in my butt [SinkCrashBonk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
People have asked. If you can find me a pool I can come down in April or Mid March.

DougStern
Last edited by: DougStern: Nov 14, 05 11:04
Quote Reply
Re: Seatpost stuck in my butt [jack m] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Contact Trianthes. He is putting one on in Grand HAven Dec. 9-11th.

DougStern
Quote Reply
Re: Seatpost stuck in my butt [Aztec] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Aztec,

Your shoulders are fairly flat and your hips rotate more. This is what fast swimmers do to generate great forces.

DogStern
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not sure who your post about finding a pool was for, but if it was in reference to Atlanta there's a good chance that we can make it happen.
Quote Reply
Re: Seatpost stuck in my butt [SinkCrashBonk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone in Atlanta. It is only a 2 hour flight.

DougStern
Quote Reply

Prev Next