Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Seatpost stuck in my butt [DougStern] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Speaking of hands, should the fingers be spread apart, tightly together or somewhere in between?

Re: Seatpost stuck in my butt [polarbear] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is what fast swimmers do!

DougStern
Last edited by: DougStern: Nov 12, 05 14:05
Quote Reply
Re: Seatpost stuck in my butt [last tri in 83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Comfortable. I keep them slightly apart and never tightly together.

DougStern
Quote Reply
Re: Seatpost stuck in my butt [mr. mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I will be posting the new year this week.

Swimming clinics in New Yoirk all start the first week in January.

I will be in Curacao from Jan. 20-29th.

Ski-swim vacation training from Marh 1-5 in Park City, Utah.

Openwater swim camp weekend of May 13th.

Highland Triathlon May 20th.

The rest I do not have a clue.

DougStern
Quote Reply
Re: Seatpost stuck in my butt [one_lap] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am over my embarrassment and back to writing.

This goes to show you how so many activties seem similiar and are fun to do.

DougStern
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Doug,

How can I sign up for the Grand Haven clinic? Will you post when final info is available?

Thanks,

Pat
Quote Reply
Re: Seatpost stuck in my butt [Trillini] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pat,

Send Trianthes a private mesage to sign up.

DougStern
Last edited by: DougStern: Nov 12, 05 16:52
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Worst part--the saddle slid right in as well.
Quote Reply
Re: Seatpost stuck in my butt [marko16] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It just goes to show you what happens when I am an a-hole.

DougStern
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Doug --As nice as you are, and all that, screw you and everyone who can swim. And that will continue to be my position until I find someone who is smart enough to teach me how to swim rather than claw my way to survival. Sorry, but that is just how it is.
Quote Reply
Re: Seatpost stuck in my butt [Monk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Monk,

Your anger is getting in the way of your learning. Put up or shut up. I can teach you to swim. Now we just have to figure out where and when.

DougStern
Last edited by: DougStern: Nov 12, 05 16:54
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Actually, it may be worth flying someplace. We are talking triage. We are talking 1:22 at IMFL--bouyant salty waters of the Gulf of Mexico and a wetsuit.

Where is someplace?

But then I am thinking, isn't it swimming lessonS, not lesson?

Then there is also the problem of doing what I am told. Aren't old people a pain in the ass--like as bad as a seatpost?

Actually, this is worth considering.
Last edited by: Monk: Nov 12, 05 16:56
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Come to Beautiful Grand Haven, MI for a clinic to be put on by Doug on Dec 9 - 11. I will be posting the details in the very near future.
Quote Reply
Re: Seatpost stuck in my butt [Trianthes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know if a clinic will do it. I need personal attention--a team of professional working around the clock, probably including at least two mental health professionals.

I will do this, but I need to wait until March--then a full court press. I look forward to putting in, oh, say 200 hours to knock five minutes off my swim time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok - but it sounds like swimming is actually an aneurysm for your personal life?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Monk,

I am in New York City. I teach 70 year old people who are terrified of the water to swim. I have worked with stroke victims with club feet. I have worked with someone with one leg.

The only thing that is in your way is you.

When you are finished feeling sorry about your swimming and want to do something about it, get in touch with me.

DougStern
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Doug, let me ask you another visualization question. On my Friday swim, I noted that my shoulder roll is poor (no big secret there). Ever since I separated my shoulder in 2003, I have had difficulty with full mobility on the left side of my entire upper body. At least I did so initially. So when I am gliding on the right side of my body, the left shoulder is not "up in the air" but still pushing water, rendering a rather "barge like" frontal hydrodynamic profile. To try and solve this barge like frontal, I envisioned pulling the left shoulder blade out of the water as I extend my right hand. Not sure if this is the right thing to do.

Perhaps you can give us some more tips on how to improved hip and shoulder roll. I need something really simple to focus on, an image or keyword, so that I can throw one keyword into my brain while racing and making it happen "automajically".
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I will, but I hate New York City, if that is OK. The people were OK, but the whole transportation situation made me feel out of control.

I have to get some things out of the way, and then I will plan a trip up. I assume that there is some fleabag hotel near the pool where you teach? You would have to agree to no kick-boards, no "pressing the T", no pulling myself over a barrel. Also, do I have to put my face in the water?

I was swimming in the ocean here a little over a year ago, and it looked so bad someone called 911 and they called a Coast Guard helicopter and the lifeguards were four-wheeling down the beach towards me.
Last edited by: Monk: Nov 13, 05 7:55
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks. I was watching my hand today while swimming. I think it helped.

Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Monk,

I am in New York City. I teach 70 year old people who are terrified of the water to swim. I have worked with stroke victims with club feet. I have worked with someone with one leg.

The only thing that is in your way is you.

When you are finished feeling sorry about your swimming and want to do something about it, get in touch with me.

DougStern

I'll match Monk and raise him one...I had a 1:55 swim last week at IMFL. Small disclaimer...I did just learn to swim this past year, I just can't seem to get it. I think I may need a trip to the city this winter too. But be warned Doug, my initial swim coach had more trouble with my attitude than my technique;O). There were moments when I looked like Norman trying to change a flat.

I do have a question about where to look. Should we be looking down at all? Or are we looking more forward towards the end of the pool and seeing our hands at the start of the catch?

~~~~
Nancy
~~~~
Quote Reply
Re: Seatpost stuck in my butt [Trianthes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trianthes:

How many openings are there for the clinic in Grand Haven? Send me a PM on the details for signing up for this swim clinic.
Quote Reply
Re: Seatpost stuck in my butt [devashish paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Hey Doug, let me ask you another visualization question. On my Friday swim, I noted that my shoulder roll is poor (no big secret there). Ever since I separated my shoulder in 2003, I have had difficulty with full mobility on the left side of my entire upper body. At least I did so initially. So when I am gliding on the right side of my body, the left shoulder is not "up in the air" but still pushing water, rendering a rather "barge like" frontal hydrodynamic profile. To try and solve this barge like frontal, I envisioned pulling the left shoulder blade out of the water as I extend my right hand. Not sure if this is the right thing to do.

Perhaps you can give us some more tips on how to improved hip and shoulder roll. I need something really simple to focus on, an image or keyword, so that I can throw one keyword into my brain while racing and making it happen "automajically".
DP - I'm not convinced that more roll = more speed. Look at the really fast fellas. They are much flatter than most. Experiment for yourself when kicking. I am much faster when face down flat than when on one side. Maybe there are other factors that cause that, but it's just one test.

Too f@ckin depressed from various injuries to care about having a signature line.

Sponsored by Blue Shield PPO.
Quote Reply
Re: Seatpost stuck in my butt [Aztec] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Aztec,

The roll is at your hip not your shoulder. Your shoulders are much flatter than your hips.

DougStern
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Monk,

If you like skiing I am going to be in Park City, UT from March 1-6 for skiing in the A.M. and swimming in the P.M. I will be working with people then. The pool is just off Route 80 near PArk City.

DougStern
Quote Reply
Re: Seatpost stuck in my butt [devashish paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Paul,

I thought about your situation. Each person is an experiment of one. As adults we are all damaged goods with individual strengths and weaknesses. I would have to see you swim to give you further instruction. Perhaps your coach can offer some suggestions.

DougStern
Quote Reply

Prev Next