Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Ironman and divorce- the real truth [Daremo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Daremo wrote:
If a marriage fails because of one of the people's exercise habits then there is an underlying problem that would have ended in a failed marriage regardless.
Amen!
Being that we can be single only once in our lives, this thread reminds me of why I never want to marry.

Quote | Reply
travelmama wrote:
Daremo wrote:
If a marriage fails because of one of the people's exercise habits then there is an underlying problem that would have ended in a failed marriage regardless.

Amen!
Being that we can be single only once in our lives, this thread reminds me of why I never want to marry.

+1

"Though she be but little, she is fierce" ~Shakespeare | Powered by HD Coaching | 2014 Wattie Ink Triathlon Team | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman and divorce- the real truth [AJHull] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AJHull wrote:
Here's another view. I feel somewhat unbiased because I have not done a triathlon since the 1900's but I still love to keep up-to-date on what's happening.

I am going to over-generalize to make my point, but I think this is fairly accurate...

• The number of triathlete's that are type A personalities compared to the general population is quite high. Type A personalities are often focused on themselves more than they are on others. This does not go well will many marriages, friendships etc.
  • Triathlete's seem to see themselves as better than others by training a crazy number of hours per week and thinking that they are healthier than others because of it. The simple fact is that this excess is more counter productive to ones health than moderate exercise combined with a healthy diet and sleep regime. The me, me, me attitude can be a turn off to be around.
  • Further to the me, me, me behavior, I always get a kick out of eavesdropping on many AG'ers conversations. It is amazing how good they believe they are and how much better they believe they are compared to others. Somehow, doing an Olympic distance event or an IM and taking 50% longer than the pros gives them bragging rights in society. I can only imagine what kind of spouse they would have to have to accommodate that personality.

Just a different view.

I have a friend that said this before. He said its nauseating to hear about someone's race and the "me" attitude, as if nothing else in the world is happening. Funny you also pointed this out.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman and divorce- the real truth [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AndyPants wrote:
My post in the other thread (so you don't have to try and find it):
-------
I, as a womens who has been in this sport for 12+ yrs and who ended a marriage (his reason: Ironman; my reason: we grew apart and you didn't like who I became, fair nuff) pretty much here on ST, I am really torn by all the posts, especially the last one from the OP re: kids. I was going to ignore the whole thread but now I can't.

Triathlon is by its very nature a solo sport. We may train with others, but come race day, on the field of battle, it is every person for themselves. And while we are a welcoming bunch, we are also a very driven and competitive bunch, even if we only compete with ourselves. But when we are an A-type and our spouse is not, as soon as we discover this sport FULL of A-types like us, and we devote all our attention and efforts to this new thing, why are we surprised when they don't like it? or act supportive? It changes the entire dynamic of the relationship. Of course they aren't going to be supportive. Why on earth would you think they would be? Asking them to try and be supportive isn't going to work unless they are similarly minded, likewise constructed, and understand their partner for who they really are , well it just ain't gonna work.

Sometimes we enter relationships when we have a firm grasp of who we are, what makes us tick, what we love and what we hate. Many times we don't - we are naive, we think a chid or 3 will make it all work out, we hope that counselling or restricting activities we find truly satisfying will help carry the relationship.

It never does.

I honestly have come to believe that we end relationships often because we realize that we have been less than truthful about WHO WE REALLY ARE, instead being WHO WE THINK WE SHOULD BE. And triathlon, as such an individual sport, we find a space to find out WHO WE REALLY ARE. And if WHO WE REALLY ARE != WHO WE THINK WE SHOULD BE then whomever is our partner is bound to suffer. IN Japanese, we call it hansei, it is a time and space for reflection. This solo sport we all love affords us the time and space for such reflection. It also affords us the individual challenges against which we pit ourselves. Against which we test ourselves. Against which we find out just how strong, how powerful, how determined we are.

And this is how we find out WHO WE REALLY ARE.

Here endeth the lesson.

AP
--------

I stand by this.

AP

Huh? WTF did you just say? Sorry - I tried several times to read the, uh, lesson but it hurts so bad.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman and divorce- the real truth [travelmama] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
travelmama wrote:
Amen! Being that we can be single only once in our lives, this thread reminds me of why I never want to marry.

Isn't that like saying "because we can be non triathletes only once in our lives, all this talk of hard work, training and sacrifice reminds me of why I never want to be a triathlete"?

Quote Reply
Re: Ironman and divorce- the real truth [kabacrew] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
it's ok, your brain will stop hurting shortly ;-)

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman and divorce- the real truth [El Jefe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This has been an awesome thread, and I think everyone has made good points. I started tris after I was married and started a family. there was much resentment from my spouse and I knew that would happen. From what I've learned in my experiences, most of you have already stated. But what I can't stress enough to myself is that marriage/family is all about sacrifices. Would I love to work out 18+ hours a week sure, is it realistic for me in my situation? no. So I don't. I still get by with results that I'm happy with and basically those results are in this order: being healthy, setting an example of an active lifestyle for the kids by them seeing me train/race, and finishing a race with a realistic goal time. I train almost exclusively on my time, be it early or late or during naps. If I cant train, I can't. If theres a time where I'd like to train but it conflicts with family, I ask. I try to sacrifice what I want to do, within reason, so that I can juggle everything the best I can, and I've found that balance with my family. As others have said, it takes EFFORT, a lot, more so than training because its not FUN to sacrifice your time. I am also very conscientious of what my wife and kids what to do and accommodate them. You must give to receive as life is a give and take relationship. If my wife wants to go out, spend time with friends, do family stuff, take a nap, spend extra time after school, I always say yes to show that I support her as well no matter what I think about what she wants to do. Her sacrifice comes in being woken up, having a tired husband at times, saying ok to long weekend rides occasionally, me spending money on gear I probably don't need and expensive races, and listening to me describe my workouts.... Sacrifice must be done on both ends, and if one is more selfish than the other, it will never work, and it has nothing to do with triathlons.

Great stuff, I've learned a bunch reading this today.

The Rat Snake:
A Tribute Race at Gilbert Lake State Park, Laurens, NY May 16 2015
Follow the Rat Snake on Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman and divorce- the real truth [dforbes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know one divorce that occured soley because of IM training. My friend became so obsessed with tris that his wife became an after-thought. Fortunately, the kids were in college. That was 3 years ago and he still doesn't have a girlfriend. Rarely dates. It's nothing but tri, tri, tri. I avoid him because tris are all he wants to talk about with me since I'm one of his few friends that does tris.

I did my first tri in "84. Loved it and did 3 more until my second child was born. It was obvious that 2 kids is 10x the work as one, so I just biked 3x a wk, while my wife ran 3x. Tris are fun; marriage and family should be your life. Keep it in perspective.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman and divorce- the real truth [dforbes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And now a word from the other side....the dark side

Wow, I am getting all teary eyed and $hit

As the veteran of two successful marriages and now happily unmarried, for the life of me I cannot see the benefit of all this hard work and sacrifice for ONE (1) person... nope, cannot see it - 50% of marriages end in divorce, the other 50% in death. I do not believe we were meant to be with the same person for life.

I go where I want, do what I want, see who I want, don't answer to nobody... and extremely happy

"if you chose it, it's not really pain"
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman and divorce- the real truth [Freelancer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Freelancer wrote:
Wednesday will be 20 years married, 12 years as an "IronMan." She was real supportive the first 4-5 years, when I was compulsive and competitive. But I didn't have any other (too) bad habits, and generally was either sleeping, working, training, or spending time with her and the kids. But even "when I qualified for Kona" (love working that in anywhere possible), I never trained more than 12-13 hours/week - unless I took a day off work. Now, it's all about the teenagers...and what they have going on. I wouldn't want to miss a lacrosse game, swim meet, or trip to Starbucks for a 6-hour bike ride. Overall, I feel (pat myself on the back) that IronMan / Endurance events has and continues to benefit our family greatly. It keeps my head straight, and helps me live in a balanced way that is good for my family. My wife has done one triathlon in her life, and is mainly a walker and tennis player. Once a year, we all go to a tri in the mountains - I'm long past they entire family (or she) needs to be at one of my races. Anyhow, I'm sure nowdays she's just tired of me saying "I'm just fat, old, slow, and hairy." So I'm working on that - motivated (originally) by LA's comeback (gasp!!). Did I mention that I once qualified for Kona? It was the same year I qualifed for Boston.

I knew you and your wife would never be split up by Ironman, I believe I realized that when I passed you at IMFL one year while you were getting a drafting penalty! Somehow I just thought, "He and his wife will never get divorced!" Happy Anniversary!

Did I mention the time you got a drafting penalty at IMFL?

---------------

"Remember: a bicycle is an elegant and efficient tool designed for seeking out and defeating people who aren't as good as you."

--BikeSnobNYC
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman and divorce- the real truth [d-elvis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
" As the veteran of two successful marriages and now happily unmarried"

huh? How do you define a "successful marriage"
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman and divorce- the real truth [Freelancer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1

Steph
Snapple Triathlon Team
Powerbar Team Elite
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman and divorce- the real truth [dongustav] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dongustav wrote:
" As the veteran of two successful marriages and now happily unmarried"

huh? How do you define a "successful marriage"

very interesting.....

The Rat Snake:
A Tribute Race at Gilbert Lake State Park, Laurens, NY May 16 2015
Follow the Rat Snake on Twitter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
d-elvis wrote:

As the veteran of two successful marriages and now happily unmarried, for the life of me I cannot see the benefit of all this hard work and sacrifice for ONE (1) person... nope, cannot see it - 50% of marriages end in divorce, the other 50% in death. I do not believe we were meant to be with the same person for life.

I go where I want, do what I want, see who I want, don't answer to nobody... and extremely happy

Seven I's in one short post. Your probably better off with having no commitments. Are you still bitter about the divorce(s)?
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman and divorce- the real truth [El Jefe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
El Jefe wrote:
travelmama wrote:
Amen! Being that we can be single only once in our lives, this thread reminds me of why I never want to marry.

Isn't that like saying "because we can be non triathletes only once in our lives, all this talk of hard work, training and sacrifice reminds me of why I never want to be a triathlete"?

Not even close but maybe to some. This thread is sad and reminds me of some of the reasons I have elected to remain single. I mean single in the true meaning- never married.

Quote | Reply
Interesting thread to say the least. I'm divorced but it didn't have anything to do with training or tri's. From the perspective of a divorced person who is trying to date and get a relationship. Everyone is interested at first, girls like the fact that your fitter than anyone your age and younger, they love going away for weekends and seeing some races at cool places and venues and appreciate your dedication and hard work when compared other non interesting guys out there. After a couple months, something changes. And the reasons they were attracted to you in the first place are now an impediance to their wanting more time with you. And then they refer to your training as a part time job when you get 12 weeks out from your A race full IM.

Ive experienced that in 4 different relationships over the past 2 years. Just some thoughts from the other side

---------------------------------
Hold my Beer and watch this!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
d-elvis wrote:

That's obviously your problem right there... it's not just about ONE (1) person.

I also take it there weren't any kids involved. Can't just divorce them.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman and divorce- the real truth [dhyoung9] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dhyoung9 wrote:
Interesting thread to say the least. I'm divorced but it didn't have anything to do with training or tri's. From the perspective of a divorced person who is trying to date and get a relationship. Everyone is interested at first, girls like the fact that your fitter than anyone your age and younger, they love going away for weekends and seeing some races at cool places and venues and appreciate your dedication and hard work when compared other non interesting guys out there. After a couple months, something changes. And the reasons they were attracted to you in the first place are now an impediance to their wanting more time with you. And then they refer to your training as a part time job when you get 12 weeks out from your A race full IM.

Ive experienced that in 4 different relationships over the past 2 years. Just some thoughts from the other side

It seems like the same problem can exist married or not.

I wonder if this thread stays alive long enough ... Everyone will go back to their families and a 12 hr IM will then be the new KQ time. Hmmmm

In all seriousness, I appreciate the posts. Please keep them coming. I'm working through my own relationship issues right now and the recent threads on relationships are helping me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
a successful marriage is one that worked well for the spouses until it stopped working, at which point, they ended it. contrast with an unsuccessful marriage which may never have really worked well for one or both spouses, and/or continued to exist long after it started to fail.

i have a friend who says of myself and my first wife "see, you guys had the perfect marriage and now you have the perfect divorce". its not entirely a joke.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman and divorce- the real truth [travelmama] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
travelmama wrote:
Not even close but maybe to some. This thread is sad and reminds me of some of the reasons I have elected to remain single. I mean single in the true meaning- never married.

Understood. IMO though, there is still a HUGE benefit to marriage...a depth of relationship, friendship, and intimacy that can only be experienced through it (meaning a lifetime vow). Definitely worth it for me, and this thread reminds me of that.

I'm just glad I didn't elect to remain a non-triathlete after hearing about the hard work, sacrifice, other peoples' DNF stories, etc.

Quote Reply
Re: Ironman and divorce- the real truth [PaulDavis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"a successful marriage is one that worked well for the spouses until it stopped working, at which point, they ended it."

Yeah, ummm, ok. Carry on.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you have an alternate definition? i don't mind you sitting in judgement as long as you have some kind of alternative in mind. requiring that "success" in marriage requires absolute committment until one spouse dies is an excessively narrow vision in my opinion - certainly in an era when the possibilities for personal change have widened so much and when the average life expectancy is (historically) so high. or perhaps you feel that there are no issues that occur within a marriage that cannot be addressed without ending it?
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman and divorce- the real truth [PaulDavis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, it seems to me that if you have a relationship that lasts for 5 or 6 years, dating, and you have a good time but eventually have a falling out, fine you can say it was great. But marriage has a vow - death til we part & all that. That's what makes it different than dating. If you don't make it until "death til we part" then no, I would say it was less than successful.

Its akin to calling the maiden voyage of the Titanic "successful." It was, in fact, a great trip, the food was wonderful, the ship was opulent & comfortable, the passengers all enjoyed themselves tremendously. Right up until it struck the iceberg.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
fair enough :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dongustav wrote:
Well, it seems to me that if you have a relationship that lasts for 5 or 6 years, dating, and you have a good time but eventually have a falling out, fine you can say it was great. But marriage has a vow - death til we part & all that. That's what makes it different than dating. If you don't make it until "death til we part" then no, I would say it was less than successful.

Its akin to calling the maiden voyage of the Titanic "successful." It was, in fact, a great trip, the food was wonderful, the ship was opulent & comfortable, the passengers all enjoyed themselves tremendously. Right up until it struck the iceberg.

Titanic may be an example that is unfair, because it ended in death for most.

What if I said this.... If you trained for ironman and the race didn't go well, and you had to DNF. Would you, take back all of the training and wish you never tried? Would you train harder and race IM again? If you tried again, and again, and again... and you DNF'd every time.... would you still do Ironman?

I truly believe that marriage is great. I also don't take back any experiences with my wife. But, I question that death do us part is realistic. Don't get me worng, I believe that should be true, but how much pain, or loss of other experiences that could bring joy should be endured? I think that is a more difficult question to answer.

Is it only the length of marriage that makes it a success? If you make it 25 years and sleep in separate beds? 50 years and do not talk to one another?
Last edited by: jharris: Sep 18, 12 11:21
Quote Reply

Prev Next