Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Tri vs golf [Wolfwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wolfie, the Lake Tahoe Marathon Festival has added a round of high speed golf to their list of races. I think it's up to 10 races in 8 days. You can check them out at http://www.laketahoemarathon.com/ If you go, bring your wetsuite, bicycles and runing shoes. You'll have a great week.

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! đŸ˜‚ '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Re: Tri vs golf [kac94] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
And do you honestly think that if Daly changed his lifestyle, he couldn't be first team all Ivy at _____ fill in the sport?
(btw, I went to Dartmouth so I'm not dissing the Ivy league).

Daly, at one time, was ranked in the top 5 in the WORLD. That means he was better at golf than 3 billion people.

Just b/c someone is overweight does not mean they are not a good athlete.

Hey, I went to Dartmouth too.

I'm not saying Daly isn't a great golfer, he is. I just don't consider golfers athletes any more than NASCAR drivers. They have incredible skills in their respective sports but I don't consider that great athleticism.

Daly could not compete with me or any of the other members of this forum in athletic events which require any amount of stamina and agility ie basketball, soccer, lacrosse, hockey, ...etc. He'd be out of breath and puking in 5 minutes or less. That's not a "great athlete". I'd go around him time and again.

Micheal Jordan, Wayne Gretsky, Andre Agassi, ....those are great athletes. They have eye hand coordination stamina and agility. That's how I define the term. You may define it differently.

It's OK.
Quote Reply
Re: Tri vs golf [glarson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
excellent comparison. both are sports that you can do well into your older years. my dad is 75, plays golf 5x per week and walks 18 holes. triathletes can compete at 75, too.

but, golf is harder. typically, triathletes take up the sport in what - their 20's or 30's? the later you start to play golf, the harder it is to be very good at it.

regarding fitness, lots of golfers look fat and out of shape. lots are!! however, i saw a picture of the 2004 UCLA men's golf team. each guy is ripped, some look like football condition. but, guys like stadler and mickelson trade skills for fitness, because they started when they were 2 years old.
Quote Reply
Re: Tri vs golf [slick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think we're debating two different things : Being in shape vs being athletic.

Speaking of athletics, I don't know if you've seen the petition to have the Dean of Admissions step down at Dartmouth b/c of what he said about the football team (and football players in general). If you haven't, and want to, pm me and I will send it to you.

How can you walk the Hanover golf course and not be sore? You must be part goat.
Quote Reply
Re: Tri vs golf [kac94] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah. probably got a litle goat in me.
Quote Reply
Re: Tri vs golf [slick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think Daly could get in to an Ivy. Big ol' boy is a highly skilled athlete, however.

I used to play a decent amount of golf before I got into this stuff. I've spent alot of time fighting my way through the water (hard to call what I do swimming), thinking about the similarities between swimming and golfing. You get very conflicting technical advice on both, both activities kind of inexplicably click sometimes, whole body timed rhythmic body motion key to both...
Quote Reply
Re: Tri vs golf [mr. mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How about the top bowlers? Are they great athletes too?
Quote Reply

Prev Next