Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Tri vs golf
Quote | Reply
As I reflect on my first year in the Triathlon game - a question I get a lot is "where do you find the time and money to do Triathlons?" I have an easy answer - I don't play golf much anymore.

I like to keep track of my expenses using MS Money. When I started training for my first race I set-up an expense category to track what I spent. Now that's it's the end of the year, I have been reviewing all my expenses to set-up my budget for next year. This is what I found. Compared to Golf - Triathlons are dirt cheap.

A review of the numbers.

Golf in 2003 (I used 2003 since I did not play much in 2004)

Equipment. Balls, gloves, tee's, etc, nothing major like new irons or diver $370
Greens fees (I played 25 rounds) $1573
Range & lessons $250
Drinks&Food at the course. I estimated $15 per round for 25 rounds $375
Total $2568

Triathlon in 2004

Entry Fee's. I did two races $130
Travel to races $220
Equipment. New running shoes, bike tune up and parts, other small stuff $320
Heath Club and Masters swim class (for the year) $800
Miscellaneous $130
Total $1600

I have not made any 'Major' equipment purchases yet - such as a new bike or wet suit. But they are comparable in price to a new set of clubs. Hell, putters are going for $250 these days.

Cost - winner Tri.

As for time - an 18 hole weekend round of golf takes on average 6 hours to drive to the course, play, and get back home. Add in time spent at the range and lessons and the long rides and runs don't seem very long.

Time - winner Tri.

For the intangibles.... I'm in much better heath now (180 lbs vs 225 lbs). Triathletes are a more fun to be around the golfers. I spend more time with my wife and kids.

Intangibles - winner Tri.

Triathlon - easy winner over golf. But I must admit - there is a rush you get when you hit the ball just right - that I have yet to find in Triathlons.
Quote Reply
Re: Tri vs golf [glarson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, but have you heard any good triathlon jokes? Or any at all?

I've actually done the same thing, but mainly for the time factor. I can't justify the time away from the family to do both. But I'm glad to hear from you that I'm saving $$ too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like golf, but the people who play it are just too damn slow! Unlike the average golfer, I want to carry my clubs. I also have the urge to run from hole to hole. I heard there was some kind of running golf, but you have to find a course that allows it plus you have to be the first one on the course.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, it's the capital required for the startup that's much more costly for triathlon. You are correct, though, that the ongoing costs are likely lower than golf (especially if you play spendy courses like Pebble @ ~$350, or even just good ones at >$125).

Mid-range tri bike -- $2K, aero wheels -- $1K, training by power -- $1.5K, etc., etc.

You can't match those costs in golf.

Oh, and my swim lessons are every bit as much as golf lessons!

Tri is as cheap or expensive as you want to make it. That's the key.

Too f@ckin depressed from various injuries to care about having a signature line.

Sponsored by Blue Shield PPO.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In one sport, you can wear funny looking outfits...

And in golf..... (where is that drummer when you need him)

I'm here all week - try the veal.
Quote Reply
Re: Tri vs golf [Hoagy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, but have you heard any good triathlon jokes? Or any at all?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What does a golfer call a triathlete?........nothing, he's never heard of the sport

What's the difference between a golfer and a triathlete?..........About 50 lbs of ugly fat.

Why does golf cost more money than triathlon?............There's a sucker born every minute.

Ok not good, but off the top of my head not bad. I like #2 the best.

Jim

**Note above poster works for a retailer selling bikes and related gear*
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don;t play golf becasue I am not skilled at it and find it more of a geriatric type activity.

I like watchin Tiger Woods and the pros play on TV about once every two years, but for me, it is kind of slow moving.

I notice I am only attracted to sports that require a helmet. But then again, the way I golf, a helmet would be required anyway.

I do like bowling.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No comparison dude. Golf, especially when you lump in country club dues and golf vacations, eclipse the cost of triathlon. I'm saving a fortune. Golf got me back, though. Played my first round all year after Kona (even avoided golf while on the Island), shot a great (for me) front nine of 41, came up to the tenth, a driveable 310 par 4 - a risk/reward hole. Pulled out the big gun. Cranked it, long, deep and hard, just a chip up. But also cranked my back! Was out of commission for weeks. No more. I'm done with that sport. It hates me. I love it, but it hates me.
Quote Reply
Re: Tri vs golf [Jim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You and NJSteve may have started a new genre. Or maybe I did! I like #1.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tried golf once. That was enough for me. Besides the equipment cost it could get very expensive if you join one of the hoity-toity clubs.

Scuba diving is comparable to triathlon cost wise. Scuba equipment costs about as much as a decent bike and other tri gear. Then you have to pay for the dives, unless you have your own boat, which I'll assure you is expensive. Also in scuba there are several different levels of certification, all costing $$. In fact, one of the dive agencies is called PADI, meaning Professional Association of Dive Instructors, but in reality it means Put Another Dollar In.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Golf sucks. I just don't get it.
Quote Reply
Re: Tri vs golf [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Tried golf once. That was enough for me. Besides the equipment cost it could get very expensive if you join one of the hoity-toity clubs.

I know people who pay >$15K per year in membership fees to their club. Some are double that. And then there are the freaky clubs that are multiples of even that number.

I didn't much care for golf at first either. But most people become more interested the more they play (as did I).

Also, for whatever reason, I end up pretty tired after a full round. Even if I ride the cart. My shoulders/back/hammies are usually worn down.

Too f@ckin depressed from various injuries to care about having a signature line.

Sponsored by Blue Shield PPO.
Quote Reply
Re: Tri vs golf [slick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I golfed for a while, but couldn't take it anymore. It's boring and frustrating for me. There is however the issue of networking for your career--golf is the game most people have in common. The key is to find co-workers, associates and clients that are into tri? Anyone had any luck with this?

"ah-hem...the time is yours."
Quote Reply
Re: Tri vs golf [stevezelinger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The two best golfers in my town are brothers who are both morbidly obese. What kind of sport is that?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For once I agree with Slick. Golf sucks. I don't get it either. But then I do enjoy curling, so figure that one out.
Quote Reply
Re: Tri vs golf [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think you agreed with me one other time, but I'm not sure.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Many years ago, in the late 1990's, I decided I was going to try to get better at golfing. For a couple of years, I at least practiced several times a week. It was a martial-arts-type of mind-body control that kept me interested. You must be keenly aware of the conditions (wind, terrain, elevation, grain of the grass, distance, etc), yet not care too much about the results of any particular shot...either good or bad. And, the harder you try, the worse you get, so you have to learn to let go. Interesting concepts.

I got my handicap down to 6.5. I wasn't fat, didn't drink or eat poorly on the course (I was doing triathlons at the same time) I almost always carried my bags, and would trot between shots...usually finishing in about 2 hours 15 minutes. Then, one day, I noticed that I quit having fun. I had more fun back when I was shooting 90+ than I did shooting below 80. I stopped cold turkey. Haven't picked up a club since. I'm sure I'll play again some day when I get much older, but, for now, I'd rather ride my trainer in the garage than go play golf.

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur
(That which is said in Latin sounds profound)
Quote Reply
Re: Tri vs golf [stevezelinger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"the issue of networking for your career"

My best friend was in sales. He told me that some of his best sales were made on the golf course. He learned the game out of necessity for that reason but never enjoyed it. There's probably other golfers that feel the same.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tough game to get if you have not given it a chance (could be wrong assuming you have not). It's an incredible challenge. Probably hands down the hardest skill sport I have ever tried. Can also be one of the most gratifying. A shitty round of golf can go by the wayside with one pure stroke. Puring a shot is a thing of beauty.

Golf is a sport with soul. How many professional sports do you know where players call penalties on themselves? None that I know of. Imagine being in the hunt of the U.S. Open, you hit the ball in the pineneedles, and while addressing the ball it moves. That's a penalty - a stroke. All professional golfers step back and call it on themselves. It is exceedingly rare if a professional golfer cheats or does not call a penalty on his or herself. That golfer would be ostracized for eternity. There are still rumors about Vijay Singh cheating once like 20 years ago in a second-rate tourney in Bali - golfers still whisper about it.

Funny all these references about obese golfers. There are obese people everywhere. The question is whether these obese golfers are any damn good. The top golfers now - certainly not all - like Tiger Woods, train quite a bit. Tiger runs 5-6 days weekly and lifts (supposed he can bench over 300). My golfing buddies are exceptional athletes, some are triathletes. Actually, two of the best golfers I know are extraordinary triathletes (top-Ag'ers). It simply is a sport that requires great athleticism.

Ah, but the sport hates me . . . . The lower back just can't take it.
Quote Reply
Re: Tri vs golf [RA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh, please. Golfers in shape?

Phil Mickelson has man boobs. John Daly? The Walrus?

Golfers are soft. Tiger is the exception not the rule.

I have tried it. It's fun to play a round with friends and beers but that's it. Serious golfers have an annoying quality that's hard to define.

Of course they may feel the same way about triathletes. No doubt we are a wierd bunch.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I figure every triathlete deserves to spend on triathlon at least the amount of money they would spend on cigarettes if they were a heavy smoker instead.

Let's say I had a nasty habit and smoked two packs a day. That amounts to about a carton and a half a week (we'll round up to account for the fact that I probably have one particularly stressful day a week where I smoke that extra pack...cough, cough).

That comes out to purchasing 78 cartons of smokes a year. What's a carton cost now? 30 bucks?

$30.00 x 78 = $2,340 I think you could have a pretty nice season with that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Walrus is old school and over 50. I like Phil's boobs ;). He's got a hot wife too. Phil and Daly have been around for a long time. The younger set are fit athletes. And they are winning. They have no fear. Give these athletes some credit. Tiger is not the exception at all.
Quote Reply
Re: Tri vs golf [RA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The younger set are fit athletes.

Maybe, but they're not fit because of golfing, but because of their other activities- running, weights, etc. If they didn't do anything except golf, they'd be just as fat as the old schoolers.

Golf is a sport just like darts is.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Triathlon is much better than golf, but I'm not sure which is really more expensive. If you are doing local sprints on a bike you already have, then tri is much cheaper. But if you do longer stuff that involves travel the cost can be a lot. My wife and I are both doing IM's next year. In the last 4-years, major triathlon purchases have included (or will include): 2 computrainers; 3 bicycles; fluid trainer; 2 wetsuits; 3 IM entry fees; 6 1/2 IM entry fees; lots of other entry fees; travel to St. Croix, South Africa, Lake Placid twice, Austria, Maryland, Vermont, and Delaware. In addition: googles, new running shoes 4 times per year, bike shoes, helmets, bike shorts, tri shorts, spinervals DVDs, pool membership, winter training clothing, sunglasses, lots more food than I would otherwise be eating, energy drinks, energy gels, energy bars, race wheels, new tires, CO2 cartridges. Triathlon is not cheap.

If you play golf at a public course, a set of clubs, a few 12-packs of golf balls, and $25 green fees at the public course are not close to as expensive as tri.
Quote Reply
Re: Tri vs golf [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh I agree with that statement in large part. But perhaps these younger golfers are so extraordinary because they are fit from a lifestyle geared around fitness. I think it's a great trend.

I still think professional golf requires greater fitness than most people think. Some tournaments require 36 holes in the heat of the day. Many rounds are played in areas where the temps break 100. When a fraction of a milimeter can be the difference between a 300 yard drive splitting the fairway or one on the fringe, you can see where athleticism is a factor in golf. Not easy to hit shots pure when you are tired.

It ain't triathlon, but it ain't easy either.
Quote Reply

Prev Next