Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The writing on the wall: Why the 101 Series will go huge. [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with you on the swimming length, too short! The only thing that excites me about this series of races is that maybe it will take the pressure off of the Ironman events so that I have a chance of entering my next one using the internet instead of having to be onsite.
Quote Reply
Re: The writing on the wall: Why the 101 Series will go huge. [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One of the things that really appeals to me is the attraction of having a well run long distance race in my backyard. The distances are, to a degree, irrelevant. If this series expands the way that it is envisioned, it presents a very nice alternative.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: The writing on the wall: Why the 101 Series will go huge. [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I also would be much happier with 4K - but I think its a vocal minority of ex-swimmers who agree with us. A 4k to 3K drop will not persuade many swimmers from not racing (esp. as there are no more longer events with a rel. longer swim). There are a ton of racers who are petrified of the swim and anything over 2 miles scares them - they will like the 3 k swim. Compared to a halfIM/IM the swim is 1.5x half while the bike/run are more like 1.4x....so its a TINY bit more swim....

From a business perspective - I think they made the right choice unfortunately.

Dave
Quote Reply
Re: The writing on the wall: Why the 101 Series will go huge. [daveinmammoth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am not an ex swimmer, and really started 3 months ago with masters at 49.

But, I strongly believe we are supposed to be doing a Tri, which should mean, IMO, that all three events make a difference. I know I am a terrible swimmer, but even if it doesnt mean
much in today Tri races, I am in this sports to see how well I can do at all Three. Otherwise, we all should be doing the Duo's, IMO.

So yes I understand lot are scared of swimming. Even some FOP folks. But again, this is why OLy distance is my favorite, and O2 if I can find one within driving distance. I also love drafting legal races so there is not the BS about folks breaking rules.

Dave

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: The writing on the wall: Why the 101 Series will go huge. [More is MORE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"The distances are, to a degree, irrelevant. If this series expands the way that it is envisioned, it presents a very nice alternative."

Absolutely agreed.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: The writing on the wall: Why the 101 Series will go huge. [Markus Mucus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So far their customer service stinks...we sent them an email asking about sponsorship packages (my company is involved in numerous endurance events) and have not heard anything back...maybe they have all the sponsors they are looking for???
Quote Reply
Re: The writing on the wall: Why the 101 Series will go huge. [TriFRED] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So far their customer service stinks...we sent them an email asking about sponsorship packages (my company is involved in numerous endurance events) and have not heard anything back...maybe they have all the sponsors they are looking for???

That's not "customer" service, that's sponsor relations.

---------------------------------------
Awww, Katy's not all THAT evil. Only slightly evil. In a good way. - JasoninHalifax

Quote Reply
Re: The writing on the wall: Why the 101 Series will go huge. [KEJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh, thanks for the clarification...so are you saying it is ok to ignore potential sponsors? and sponsors are not customers of a race director? Last I checked, when you pay someone for a good or service, that makes you a customer...semantics...

Does anyone know if they have a fill sponsor line up? I like the idea of the new series and would be in favor of supporting it by participating and recommending it for sponsorship...
Quote Reply
Re: The writing on the wall: Why the 101 Series will go huge. [TriFRED] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did you try the phone number listed? This is a consulting company that is obviously contracted by 101. Not all companies are particularly responsive to e-mail (trust me on this one - I sometimes wonder why they put up web pages and list e-mail addresses). It may also be since the event is so new One Brain Mktg has not yet made the transition to a dedicated sponsorship team for the account.

If you are serious - they list a phone number right on the 101 site.

If adequate response then fails, you should contact the 101 coordinators and indicate the company the contracted out to to handle sponsorship is not making a favourable impression. I am sure the event coordinators would be happy to escalate the issue for you.

Jim
"In dog beers, I've only had one"
http://www.shakercolonial.com/
Creating custom made furnishing to your requirements
Quote Reply
Re: The writing on the wall: Why the 101 Series will go huge. [MCHammers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"I agree Texas just doesn't seem exotic no matter how nice The Woodlands is."

I live, work and train here in The Woodlands and I have to agree that it is not exotic. It does however have great facilities, great roads, and great community support for these types of events. The on the ground race director for the race is a member of our local tri club, a certified USAT coach, an age group national championship dualthlete and will put on a good race.

DISCLAIMER: The above is my opinion and mine alone. I have not received any compensation in any words for the opinions expressed above.

------------------------------
"Unless you have a ... GF who might put out that night and that night only ... skip it and race." - AndyPants 3-15-2007
Quote Reply
Re: The writing on the wall: Why the 101 Series will go huge. [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The race venue may not necessarily need "exotic", look at Memphis in May.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[reply]So far their customer service stinks...we sent them an email asking about sponsorship packages (my company is involved in numerous endurance events) and have not heard anything back...maybe they have all the sponsors they are looking for???[/reply]

I still fail to understand why people think that email is reliable? It isn't at all.
Call them. :)
Quote Reply
Re: The writing on the wall: Why the 101 Series will go huge. [woofy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I supposed that poor guy in IM Florida faced the Blue Screen of Death then, right ?

"Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative." Oscar Wilde
Quote Reply
Re: The writing on the wall: Why the 101 Series will go huge. [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In and of itself, it looks like it's going to be a great race. But for '07 - they've shoehorned the Bradenton Race into the week after St. Anthony's (many folk's early season "A" race) and 2 weeks before FL 70.3 which still has open slots....two huge races (in terms of participation) for locals and others seeking warm early season races.

As a not-yet-Ironman, I personally can't see a reason to do this race (yet). It's 70% of an Ironman - can you train 70% less hard to do it? I've been able to complete a Half on an average of 5hrs a week training - and I'm pretty sure that the full Iron distance requires at least double that (for a guy with my abilities) - I wonder what commitment this distance would require. At this level of triathlon, as a relative newbie, I think it's ALL about the distance. For folks who have checked that block, and can answer yes to the the Iroman questions, then this is a long race that has lots of benefits that folks have already brought up.

Most non-triathletes, when they ask me about tri's, seem to care more about the distances than the locations or the names of the events. Non-triathletes would still be impressed with the 101 distance; most folks don't even know how far a marathon is. I'd like to see the race do well - but I wouldn't NOT do St. Anthony's, so if you think one could do the 101 on a week's taper, I might give it a shot in '08.

=================================
http://www.clydesdaleshavebigbikes.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: The writing on the wall: Why the 101 Series will go huge. [Bigun86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The date issue is, well, a bit of an issue. I think the inaugural Bradenton event is the same weekend as Ford Ironman St. Croix 70.3. I really want to do St. Croix and have tried to get down there a few times but never made it.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I haven't spoken to a person who is not excited about this series. I agree and definitely think that if they build it they will come; in masses.

- Matt

Quote Reply
Re: The writing on the wall: Why the 101 Series will go huge. [mjshapiro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can I be the first person you have talked to thats not excited? :o)

Dave

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sure, but why not?

- Matt

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The 101 organizers need to be proactive regarding drafting. A note about Bradenton. I use to live there and still train there every other weekend. The course will be flat no matter how they design it. The bridges going out to the barrier islands, Anna Maria and Longboat Key, are draw bridges and provide very little elevation. The bridges over the Manatee River are low as well. Clearwater was of course a draft fest on a bike course with bridges much higher than those in Bradenton. In fact, I hate to use the word elevation to describe the topography of Bradenton, or the rest of coastal FL for that matter. Don't get me wrong, Bradenton is a great venue in an area rich in triathlon. Drafting is always a problem, I am just putting this out there.

Ray Miller
Quote Reply
Re: The writing on the wall: Why the 101 Series will go huge. [mjshapiro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here is why I am not excited. There are plenty of tri races and distances already. All they have done is add another non balanced tri distance in between 2 other ones. So, for a few of us, I am more interested in doing a real Tri, with balanced focus on ALL three events, not just a warm up swim!!!! This may make me in the minority, but if I am going to do a long distance race, I want to be able to say I did an IM (I know Martin) and folks know what that means. If I say I did a 101, who will care, even within the Tri community.

So, its great if more folks get excited and can race with the new events. I just have no interest to do more of the same. This is why my first choice of races this season are Oly distance. Short enough I could do one every weekend.

Dave

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting. Fair enough and I understand your points. The folks I spoke with liked the distance and I believe the choice of having another longer distance option to them. Thanks.

- Matt

Quote Reply
Re: The writing on the wall: Why the 101 Series will go huge. [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Has there really been anything new in triathlon? After all, the first triathlon was a combination of sports that already existed and the most famous tri of them all, the Hawaii IM, started with the simple idea to combine three existing single-sport events.

With that perspective, I don't believe the 101 Series is "triathlon's second coming" but it is a new variation on the formula that most say began in San Diego in 1974. It is definitely worth a try!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[reply]Here is why I am not excited. There are plenty of tri races and distances already. All they have done is add another non balanced tri distance in between 2 other ones. So, for a few of us, I am more interested in doing a real Tri, with balanced focus on ALL three events, not just a warm up swim!!!! This may make me in the minority, but if I am going to do a long distance race, I want to be able to say I did an IM (I know Martin) and folks know what that means. If I say I did a 101, who will care, even within the Tri community.

Dave[/reply]

What race do you do that has this balanced focus. I have always been interested in doing something like this as well.
Quote Reply
Re: The writing on the wall: Why the 101 Series will go huge. [Bigun86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know it's not an IM, but if your'e just looking for a long race, then one advantage that 101 has over IM is their refund policy. If you cancel, you get your full registration minus $15 towards any of their other races. As someone who had to withdraw a couple months before IMFL b/c of injury, that refund policy sounds FANTASTIC.

Also, someone else wrote that this was another unbalanced triathlon w/r/t each leg's distance. It's actually just a tad bit more balanced than the half/IM format. Swim is 1.55 times longer than a half, bike 1.44 times longer, and run 1.42 times longer. It's not much, but it's a little bit more even!

(yes, i'm a big giant dork with a calculator...)

Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Most non-triathletes I know have no idea how far an IM is, or what it means. Just tell them you are doing a really long race.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply

Prev Next