Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The writing on the wall: Why the 101 Series will go huge. [More is MORE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks what happens when I say I did an IM on ST. :o) Just ask Martin. :o)

Dave

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: The writing on the wall: Why the 101 Series will go huge. [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why don't you put on your own race and see how many people show up?

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: The writing on the wall: Why the 101 Series will go huge. [Geo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"The 101 organizers need to be proactive regarding drafting."

I agree 100%. This is a big opportunity for them to get it right. The proof will be in the pudding.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: The writing on the wall: Why the 101 Series will go huge. [Markus Mucus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nothing today. The closest I believe in the Oly distance, which is why I would really like to do the new ITU o2 Distance. Yes, some folks wont do because of a longer swim, and thats the point. If you cant do all 3 well, then maybe one should do du's. Saying one is a Tri person and cant swim is not saying much, IMO.

Now, Dan as commented on a race he may be in Sept with what seems to be a balanced race. Waiting for more details.

And this is my point on the 101. It really is just the same old stuff stuck between two other distances. Now, if they would have attempted to make a balanced race, then I would be REALLY excited since it would start to show who the real best Tri races are, not just Du racers that warm up with a swim. :o)

Dave

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Quote Reply
Re: The writing on the wall: Why the 101 Series will go huge. [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Excellent point about drafting. Wave starts to eliminate the packs and heavy on the officials. Some people will always cheat, but this will not be a draft fest.

infinIT Nutrition
Custom Blended Nutrition Solutions
http://www.infinITNutrition.com

Quote Reply
Re: The writing on the wall: Why the 101 Series will go huge. [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did for a few years, and we filled it up. So, whats your point?

Dave

Quote Reply
Re: The writing on the wall: Why the 101 Series will go huge. [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]I did for a few years, and we filled it up. So, whats your point? [/reply]

What race would that be?

My point: You bitch about all the other races/distances and how they aren't "real triathlons". Put up or...as they say.

clm
Nashville, TN
Quote Reply
Re: The writing on the wall: Why the 101 Series will go huge. [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lets see, I was the Co RD for the Lake of the Pines Tri.

http://mylop.org

Click on the tri link, thats the web site I did a few years ago.

When I became Co Rd, there was one race. .6 mi swim, 5 mile bike, 4 mile run. I said this was not right.
So, the first year we added another. .6 mi swim, 15 mile bike, 4 mile run.

The next year we added another one. 500 yard swim, 3 mile bike, 1 mile run (or close to these)

Then the last year I had it all set to change the long race to like .75 mile swom, 15 mile bike,4 mile run. (Was trying to get as balanced as I could)
But, when the other co RD said we were not going to following USAT rules about wetsuits, I quit.

So, I have spent the time, and walked the talk as an RD.

What races have you Rd'ed on?

Dave

Quote Reply
Re: The writing on the wall: Why the 101 Series will go huge. [infinIT 1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
InfinitIT 1,

Yes indeed wave starts reduce drafting. Relying solely on wave starts however is not enough in this case. In addition, the organizers need to closely consider the number of officials and their location on the bike course to curb drafting. Or, this race will be a draft fest.
Quote Reply
Re: The writing on the wall: Why the 101 Series will go huge. [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Memphis in May though is still largely a regional race especially after it was no longer a qualifier. The 101 Champs is a race that is trying to attract attention from Media and participants from throughout the world. IMHO that would be helped by being in a more exciting location. Not saying it won't work in Texas though but I think it will be a tougher sell.

Mark

http://www.mctriguy.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: The writing on the wall: Why the 101 Series will go huge. [Geo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No question. It has already been discussed in some detail for the Fla race.

infinIT Nutrition
Custom Blended Nutrition Solutions
http://www.infinITNutrition.com

Quote Reply
Re: The writing on the wall: Why the 101 Series will go huge. [infinIT 1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Michael, I was a huge sceptic going to Houston to scout this race Monday. I can say that it will be one of the nicest venues period. Everything from the uniqueness of the swim, the the bike and the run are stellar. Slowman, myself and Tim Carlson were geeked at the layout.

Folonator,

Understood and I do wish you guys the BEST in getting this thing going. Nothing against Texans personally, it just holds no attraction to me.

Mike Ricci
2017 USAT World Team Coach
USAT National Coach of the Year
Coaching Triathletes since 1992.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Excellent. It is great to read that it is being considered now rather than in a ST bitch session on Monday.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
>>What races have you Rd'ed on?<<

I have no desire to be a RD. I have been quite involved in a number of capacities for many years with a number of races, including running registration and transition area for a couple of races.

clm
Nashville, TN
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Even as a mediocre swimmer I would have preferred a O3 to the 101 simply for the balance aspect. But I am happy that there is at least something in between 1/2IM and IM. Unfortunately, I think had they offered up a 4K or 4.5K swim, the applicant pool would have drastically been reduced, which is kind of sad.

I think Dan gave the distances to his proposed race next year in another thread. I think the swim was 1.2M with much shorter run/bike than a 1/2IM.

Re: The writing on the wall: Why the 101 Series will go huge. [MCHammers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've never been there but there is no denying that on curb appeal Texas and a place like Kona are a long way apart.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love the idea of the 101 but will probably never enter one. Why? The price. It's 3 times as much as most of the half ironmans that I've raced. I'm not going to subsidize the elites (free lodging, free entries, and huge cash prizes to the pros).
Quote Reply
Re: The writing on the wall: Why the 101 Series will go huge. [ArchStanton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you know, I hear you. Here's the thing: You may surmise, somewhat logically so, that the entry fees you and I pay go directly to flying the professional contingent to the race and covering their lodging.

There was a recent interview with Graham Fraser of Ironman North America in one of the magazines, It was either Triathlete or Inside Triathlon, where Graham talked openly about the costs associated with putting on a large, long distance race.

You'd be astounded at the costs involved in just putting on the event- pros notwithstanding.

The Triathlon One O One series is $300 and Ironman North America events are $450. On a dollar to distance basis (admittedly convoluted reasoning) The Triathlon One O One events are 29% shorter than IMNA events but 44% less expensive. I think- you'll need to check my math on that, it's often all out of whack.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The one thing I did think of that will differentiate 101 from the M-Dots is the whole charity and human interest thing.

IMNA (NAS) Graham Fraser announced that they were going to focus more on charity. Don't get me wrong, *I think charity is a great cause*, but it was a turn off. Let's not forget that it is first and foremost an endurance event. After that, people do an IM for many reasons which includes the charities and human interest stories. Look at how people perceive Team In Training now. TNT raises a ton of $ and it's great but I know many runners and triathletes that think that the marathons get overshadowed by the charities. It's not a charity event, it's a marathon.

We'll see but if 101 is what they are advertising to be: For the "triathletes" and if they put on a well organized event that has "pure racing and participation" involved then I could see it going over huge.

Again don't get me wrong, the human interest and charity is great, but I noticed this at the last M-Dot I did. The pre-race dinner, meeting, and then even the video on Versus (OLN) all focused on the human interest and I almost thought, "Um, let's not forget that this is a Triathlon and not a charity fund raising event."

Again, nothing against charities and each to his/her own. But I want to get back to the grass roots "pure racing" atmosphere.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lemme just comment on three themes: the cost, a "racer's/triathlete's race", and human interest.

in my view, mix these all together in the light of m-dot has already proven, and 101 comes up short in terms of potential success. here is why:

m-dot is larger than the sport itself. its customer base, as participants, goes outside triathlon - who doesn't want to do an ironman ?? !! ?? there is an allure there, an appeal which reaches across to people who would otherwise never do a triathlon or become involved in it - i am one such person, drawn by that allure from a long time as a hobbyist bike racer. the cost aspect works, because it is such a big deal. a guy can rationalize the 5 bills to the wife because " its-the-ironman ". 101, on the otherhand, is more akin to the local non-m-dot 1/2 distance in its broadscale appeal. maybe it'll be nice, but it will not appeal outside the sport itself ( or if it does, it will be cost prohibitive without the m-dot brand association ) - as tom sez, it is the "racer's race". a tri for tri-racers. question being, can a bunch of racers equal broadscale success in a big-time long distance triathlon, without the field stacked up with first timers, or guys wanting to scratch the event off their life's to-do list, or guys looking to just being able to say " i did an IM " ???

if we look to the failure of most non m-dot IM's, the answer is no. how great did everybody say blue devil was ? or ultra-max ?? supposedly these events were fabulous as events, but in the end they drew how many people ?? not very many. what is going to make 101 succeed, where these races failed ? being a "racer's race" did not pay the rent for them, why will it do so for 101 ???

or, answer this - - - most enthusiasts have numerous 1/2 IM's available to them locally, at a quarter or third of the price of 101. why would they pass on the local 1/2 IM, then, for this new event ?? what is 101 offering to make that a reality ??? if you wish to go longish, why not just spend 75-80 bux on a good local 1/2 IM and call it done, as opposed to what 101 is offering - going a little bit longer, but at 3-4 times the price ?
Last edited by: t-t-n: Dec 15, 06 16:52
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
IMO, a real tri is a race where folks do things like these thoughts.

Put as much effort into training for all three events.

Need to do the swim as a race, rather than a warm up.

Having the times for each event be about the same.

The only distance, IMO, that comes the closest to the above is the Oly, and O2 distances.

But again, just my opinion.

As Dev pointed out in his thread, lets look at the majority of folks who do tris. They are the older folks who have knees that dont allow us to run like we used to.

I know if I were to RD a race again, I would try one that met the above goals and see if there were any interest. I did write the RD at LOP and suggest distances that met the above. Never heard back from him.

So in summary, seems to me a "Tri" would have a race with equal efforts, training, times, etc. on all three events.
A "du", puts the effort on two events. Today, most of our "tris", IMO, have the swim no more than a warm up.

Dave
Dave

Have you lost your mind? It's only a warm up if you choose it to be. So swim the "short" 3200y hard! Knock yourself out. How long are your masters workouts? Probably not all that much longer than that.

Last time I checked, you are free to spend as much time as you like training the swim.

So you race Oly distance to get the longest relative swim? Come on. The proportional difference is so minor. You really are that nutty as to let THAT drive your race decisions? If you care about swim length, then go race IMs -- 4400y is a warmup for no one.

And finally, all you whiners about the length of the swim... 4K would add like ~750 yards. Whooopeeeee, another 12 minutes. You are really missing the point here. Each event is meant to have some meaning. A 2200-4400y open water swim is pretty darn long by pure swimmer standards. Look around, and you'll see most open water races are ~1 mile. So, 1.2 to 2.4 miles is arguably longer than 56-112 mile rides, 13-26 mile runs.

Too f@ckin depressed from various injuries to care about having a signature line.

Sponsored by Blue Shield PPO.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
The date issue is, well, a bit of an issue. I think the inaugural Bradenton event is the same weekend as Ford Ironman St. Croix 70.3. I really want to do St. Croix and have tried to get down there a few times but never made it.
I think the date for the Bradenton race is a horrible mistake. Not only is it already smoking hot down there by that time of year, but it's also 1 week off from the Gulf Coast 1/2 and 2 weeks off from IMFL 70.3, both of which are direct local competitors...and BOTH of which are better vacation spots (Orlando for the amusement parks, and Panama City for the Spring Break party town atmosphere). Choosing this date was either bravery or stupidity, and I am leaning towards the latter. IMO Fred picked a good date for the Sommersports spring race down here, being April 14th puts it far enough away from either the GFT or IMFL70.3 races to be a good "training race" and the distances are not so large as to require a multi-week recovery (2k/60k/15k).

I'd be happy seeing an intermediate distance race at a time of the year that I could race it and my other favorites. As it is, I could race the TriAmerica on April 15th, then the GFT on May 12th, then the IMFL70.3 on May 19th (or 20th...can't remember). If I did the Bradenton race I would have to drop both of the 1/2 distance races, which I just don't want to do. Since it's really hot by May they could put it at May 27th and it wouldn't make much difference...and that would allow all the people who want to race in Florida in May happy...I could do TriAmerica, the GCT and Bradenton. As it is, I'll be doing TriAmerica, GCT and 1/2IMFL.

As far as the draw to a race like this, what I want is a good course with good support and a good atmosphere. I could care less about the SWAG. Give me a finisher's T, a medallion to hang with all the others, and maybe another Gatorade bottle...I can always use them. And I think there is a small but vocal minority that actually wants a longer swim...so why would they want to make it a proportionally longer swim and eliminate a big chunk of their potential market?

Mad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
tom, if it were a 4K swim, I would agree with you, and they really listened to the athletes.
If they added 1K to the swim and 5k to the run ... I bet "tri-one-69.com" would get some attention.

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom

What happened to your prediction? Tri101 is not and will not be the Pepsi to MDot's Coke. It seems that so far it as well received as lukewarm tap water from a bad restaurant. It's too bad that there isn't a better alternative.
Quote Reply

Prev Next