Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The writing on the wall: Why the 101 Series will go huge. [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
The writing is on the wall. This is what it says:
  • 101 has a distance that will likely appeal to all those who have already done Ironman/IMNA/WTC events.
  • 101 will appeal to these athletes because of the frustrations they have had with IMNA/WTC/Ironman events.
  • There has been little or no real competition for IMNA/WTC/Ironman events until 101. There is a "Coke" but no "Pepsi". 101 is the "Pepsi" to WTC/IMNA's "Coke".
  • 101 will pioneer media coverage in real time with internet coverage- the new media of choice among the athletes doing the event. Everyone will want to be in the show.
  • 101 is coming along when the timing is really right.

I'm pretty excited about this 101 series...
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

What frustrations are there with Ironman? Talk to some Ironman finishers (outside of the overly negative and contagious opinions of many on this forum) and most love the event, the spectacle, and even the human interest.
The swag at Ironman is pretty good including pre-race meal, headsweats hat, technical running shirt, Ford triathlon transition bag, finishers medal, great support on the race course, etc.
Media coverage. Let's face it, triathlon is not a spectator sport. Maybe when there is live athlete tracking of their every step via active RFID chip on their ankle, but not until some technology helps it. Think about how in-car camera technology changed NASCAR. 101 needs to put a lipstick camera on every pro riders aero bars. Then, we will have excitement in racing. Plus, any successes 101 has with live coverage could and will easily be replicated to any other triathlon event organization, like Ironman or LifeTime Fitness, etc.
I do think your first statement is right on the money. After doing the Ironman, this distance will be great as a competitive distance for experienced athletes.
I'm excited about the event too. Although I hope they decide to lengthen the swim.
Holmes Beach, just over the causeway from Brandenton is a great beach with plenty of rental properties. There is a great little restaurant/bar called the Sandbar that is a local favorite. Rent a boat when you are there as there are a couple islands or keys nearby that are surrounded by crystal clear waters. Nothing at these remote islands but yourself, your bride, and of course.... 100 other boaters. But, still a great destination city for the triathlon.
Quote Reply
Re: The writing on the wall: Why the 101 Series will go huge. [infinIT 1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
>>Slowman, myself and Tim Carlson were geeked at the layout.<<

And that' a hell of a lot of GEEK! Love ya! ;-)

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: The writing on the wall: Why the 101 Series will go huge. [Diesel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We certainly didn't hide the Prize Purse at Timberman....We've ALWAYS focused on the age groupers...It's great to support the pros, and we're tripling our prize money for 2007 to do that, but it's still about the age grouper...

Are we going to offer $10K to the winner? Maybe in the future, but not now. It'd require us to take something away from the age grouper, and we're not going to do that...but, we do help with accommodations, travel, etc to quite a few, and treat them very well. It'd be great if pros could actually make a living racing, but there still just isn't that much money in the sport to do that. That's reality, unfortunately...

Again, it all comes down to how great the races are. Prize money is great, and it's REALLY nice to have some of the top pros there, but the race has to be great for the age grouper to succeed in the long term.

It'd be pretty easy to make the argument that most of the big races DON'T need to have any prize money or pro field. If IMNA (NAS now) didn't offer any $$, do you think the races wouldn't sell out? Prize money just doesn't have an impact on 99.9% of the athletes racing...

The RD is a good one, so I'm sure the races will be good....
Quote Reply
Re: The writing on the wall: Why the 101 Series will go huge. [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I really hope they succeed but I can't think of a reason I would race at this distance.
From the perspective of someone trying to improve at IM, I would get little more feedback or satisfaction than if I did a 1/2 IM distance and considerably less of either compared to the full distance.
It's as if they came along and offered their own Olympics, but changed all the current distances.
I think they should have rebadged the current distances and given IMNA/WTC head to head competition.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
The writing is on the wall. This is what it says:
  • 101 has a distance that will likely appeal to all those who have already done Ironman/IMNA/WTC events.
  • 101 will appeal to these athletes because of the frustrations they have had with IMNA/WTC/Ironman events.
  • There has been little or no real competition for IMNA/WTC/Ironman events until 101. There is a "Coke" but no "Pepsi". 101 is the "Pepsi" to WTC/IMNA's "Coke".
  • 101 will pioneer media coverage in real time with internet coverage- the new media of choice among the athletes doing the event. Everyone will want to be in the show.
  • 101 is coming along when the timing is really right.

I'm pretty excited about this 101 series...

Except, you assume that the driving force behind IM isn't people wanting to do an "Ironman" one time to say they did it. But, that is why it's become so popular.

By your logic, non-M-dot races should be at least mildly popular, but they're not. If people really were looking for an alternative, these races would be selling out.

You and I both wish distances between HIM and IM would really take off, but the realist in me says they won't.
Last edited by: caleb: Dec 14, 06 17:36
Quote Reply
Re: The writing on the wall: Why the 101 Series will go huge. [KJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think you misinterpretted my post. It was directed toward one's motivation to race for a small purse....not the race purse itself.

IMO, I wouldn't draw the conclusion on pro attendance and amatuer success or even amatuer involvement. There are so many races around the country that are very successful (ie. yours, of course).
Quote Reply
Re: The writing on the wall: Why the 101 Series will go huge. [Diesel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wasn't being critical, just pointing out the obvious that almost all of us on this forum aren't truly interested in what the prize purse is, and it has no bearing on the success/failure of a race.

I LOVE having the pros at my events, and the age groupers do too...But, if most popular races just ditched their prize purses, it would have ZERO affect on the successes of those events, I'd guess.

That's certainly not to say we shouldn't do everything we can to support the pros and offer the prize money, but I don't think it has any bearing on the success of 101....
Quote Reply
Re: The writing on the wall: Why the 101 Series will go huge. [Mike Ricci] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
Have you ever Been to Woodlands, TX? If you bring your wife and kids, be prepared to lose some $$ if they like to shop. It's a great town about an hour north of downtown Houston (unless it's rush hour - then it 4 hours north) where the shopping mecca of the Galleria Mall exists. Ouch. The town of Woodlands is really pretty nice with great neighborhoods and smooth, flat roads to ride/run. It should prove out to be a good venue.
Funny! We live in Boulder - we don't shop at malls. We ski, hike, camp, swim/bike/run - travel. Who has time to go to a mall? Seriously, we don't even go to the mall at Christmas! So maybe it has nice shopping, but its next to Houston - which I know the Sports Guy (if any of you follow ESPN.com you know what I talking about) has coined Houston "the most boring city in America". Not exactly a travel destination. Vancouver would be cool!

Mike, while we don't have the mountains they have in BC, there is lots to do in Halifax - we don't always do the best job at marketing ourselves but there is much to see and do in the province. Everything from whale-watching, lots of hiking/MTB trails, some decent bouldering (and a little climbing), shopping, nightlife and pretty much everything inbetween.

Right now Halifax is trying to market itself of more of a big/little city (Rolling Stones concert, Commonwealth Games bid for 2014) and has a proven track record hosting events. Probably not the most boring city in Canada :)

Shane
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the shorter 101 mile distance is the key--- More people will be able to actually race it. I think a good percentage of 101 athletes will be able to run the whole running leg. This should be a better experience. Not to mention that the recovery time will be a good bit better than a full IM--- 6-8 hours of racing should deplete you a lot less than 9 - 14 hours.

I still think the 70.3 distance is the sweet spot, but it's nice to have something new. Just wish there was one in SoCal.

-Marc
Last edited by: MarcK: Dec 14, 06 18:44
Quote Reply
Re: The writing on the wall: Why the 101 Series will go huge. [Tri_yoda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry, my opinion. I just dont see a need for another in between race distance to the HIM and FUll IM. Nothing against the RD's, but folks say they listened.

Personally, I enjoy the smaller races MUCH more than the larger. Get to talk and meet people easier.

Oh well, one day someone will put on a tri event where it is a real tri.

Since this series was trying to attract lots of pros, I dont think the swim distance would scare them off.

Dave

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: The writing on the wall: Why the 101 Series will go huge. [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Why doesn't every[one] just write off the new 101 series as a failure right now?"

I know that I am not. Finally, after perhaps 15 years, someone has come up with some novel distances of their own and not just copied what others are doing, and come up with their own race. Dan Empfield suggested this some time ago, and now someone has taken up the challenge to do that.

At one time the Ironman distances where novel and unique. Now someone is trying something new.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: The writing on the wall: Why the 101 Series will go huge. [Gator1736] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hope you are wrong too. This distance is about as far as I can go and still feel like I am racing. The IMs for me are more of a endurance-fest....not a race. Kudos to those who race it but I just don't have the where with all to race it.

It is funny how joe public only cares about the IM or the marathon. I mean who cares if you can run a sub 4 mile if you have never run a marathon.

As for the distances. Seems like they reduced the bike and run percentage-wise more so in the swim compared to the IM/70.3. I am and non-swimmer and I still love it....because I feel like I can race the run!!
Quote Reply
Re: The writing on the wall: Why the 101 Series will go huge. [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll be in clearlake for certainty !!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I disagree with Tom calling this the Pepsi to Ironmans Coke. I would consider this the XFL to the NFL. Ironman has huge brand recognition. Unless this 101 is around for 25 years, they can make up some ground...My two cents.
Quote Reply
Re: The writing on the wall: Why the 101 Series will go huge. [KJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You mean that is what you HOPE? That they(age-groupers) still show even though the pro's are eating kraft dinner in a tent as there pre-race prep.

I think this series will be great for the pro's, another cookie jar to get some food money out of.

t~
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think alot of people that have done Ironman will give this distance a try. I probably would have if the announcement would have come before IMFL signup. But if there is a race within driving distance for me I would be there in a heartbeat. 18 miles is a world of difference in running from 26.2, almost all of your muscles damage occurs after 18-20 miles. You could taper for one of these races, take a week off after and resume your training schedule. That's tempting. I'm betting there are a lot of people out there like me that have been doing Ironman for several years are looking for a different challenge.

I do think Ironman will remain strong, but it'll be interesting to see if races like IM CDA that already takes a while to fill might not fill, due to the Clear Lake Race, obviously won't happen in 07 but I'd look for that to happen on 08. CDA draws heavily from the West Coast. If I were 101 I would try to put locations in very close proximity and time to current IM races, how about a race in chicago on Labor Day Weekend to capture those who couldn't get into Wisconsin. Be like walmart and walgreens, use your competition and go in right next to them. How about a Vancouver race in August, Clermont in November, etc, etc.

If the money is there, and the races are good the pros will come and I wouldn't be surprised at all to see some big name guys show up. Especially guys that haven't made a name for themselves in Ironman Yet but aren't quite ready to tear themselves up with IM, like Bozzone and guys that are towards the end of there career and are fading as Ironman contenders like Spencer Smith, Hellreigel, Leder, Fuhr, Badmann, Bowden and of course all the 2nd tier pros that already avoid Hawaii and try to race alot at other distances. I wonder if Chris Legh will give it a go, and see if he can push up to that distance. Also pros that finish top 10 in Hawaii could use these races to gain sponsor exposure and win cash, and still save their legs for the all important IM Hawaii every year. I do think pros are important at races, Hawaii wouldn't be what it is now if it wasn't for the pro race, we never would have seen it on TV. Heck we spend 3 months on ST talking about who's going to win it!

I would wager anybody that these races will each have over 1000, they were smart in location maybe not from destination standpoint but they did start with the 3 states that have the largest percentage of USAT members (I'm not sure of that but I'm just guessing that's the case... I'm sure CA and FL are 1 and 2 for sure, not sure on Texas) I do think they should consider finding a more destination location for the championships. Part of the allure of Kona is because it's in Hawaii in addition to it being the World Champs. I agree Texas just doesn't seem exotic no matter how nice The Woodlands is.

I'm excited about it and look forward to supporting it in 08, given there is a closer race to Minnesota and I can't imagine there won't be race somewhere in the Chicago market.

the only negative I can say is I don't quite get the backwards ONE in the logo...

Mark

http://www.mctriguy.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you think non-Slowtwitchers will perceive the 101 distance as "half ass" since the "gold standard endurance distance" is of the Iron-Distance 140.6 ?

It would be interesting to know how many people who get shut out of M-Dot races -- if they chose to do a Non-MDot race instead. Since the non-MDot races do not sell out, it leads one to believe that a good majority of them don't. It probably will not attract the spillage of people that get shut out of registration of M-Dot races.
Quote Reply
Re: The writing on the wall: Why the 101 Series will go huge. [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
>>Oh well, one day someone will put on a tri event where it is a real tri<<

What exactly is "a real tri"?????

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: The writing on the wall: Why the 101 Series will go huge. [tritnow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"since the "gold standard endurance distance" is of the Iron-Distance 140.6"

Really. Who says?

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: The writing on the wall: Why the 101 Series will go huge. [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The 50,000 entires at $450.00 recieved each year by the M-Dot races throughout the world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. Why wouldn't the 101 series be viewed as the "sissy series"? I mean, really, who's going to brag about 101 when there are many others bragging about 140.6? The series might be viewed as a "stepping stone" for those that are hesistant to go from 70.2 to 140.6 in one shot. I dig the 101, but I think its importance/appeal is over-estimated.

2. It's only in coastal regions. Is the demand high enough there? I ask because there seem to be many races already in place, and they don't seem to sell-out as quickly as races in other locals.

I think another option is cool, but I don't know that triathlon is big enough for a bunch of other options.

=======================
-- Every morning brings opportunity;
Each evening offers judgement. --
Last edited by: TripleThreat: Dec 14, 06 21:23
Quote Reply
Re: The writing on the wall: Why the 101 Series will go huge. [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agree completely. I'm in that boat and thrilled to have a race that's longer than a half and shorter than a full!

Isn't a 140.6 race suppossed to be a super challenge? I ask b/c I see these "I want to take baby steps" questions/comments all over the place (primarily at other forums), and I don't get it and how it is congruent with the spirit of the IM challenge?

If only they had a 120 mile race now, to link the 101 and 141. ;)

With the limited number of races and locals, I'm not sure how this will work as a "stepping stone" for very many people. But, I am content to sit back and observe to see how it plays out.

=======================
-- Every morning brings opportunity;
Each evening offers judgement. --
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Most of the triathletes I know don't come from a swim back ground. The pool time is also the hardest for most to get. You can run and bike from your door. I know race directors worry a lot about the swim. If you have a problem what can you really do? The boats in the water can't really watch everyone. A two mile course is hard to find. I just think the swimmers want the longer course and it may make thing more equal but I don't think it would appeal to most! So I would say most people prefer shorter swims. If you asked people here it may not be true but ask on trinewbies and at most triathlons if they want longer swims.
The name 101 does bring to mind a beginner type of race . I just think it sounds to much like math 101 , science 101 ect. I think they need a new/different name!
Sorry I meant to reply to H2Ofun about a longer swim
Last edited by: dennis: Dec 15, 06 7:44
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IMO, a real tri is a race where folks do things like these thoughts.

Put as much effort into training for all three events.

Need to do the swim as a race, rather than a warm up.

Having the times for each event be about the same.

The only distance, IMO, that comes the closest to the above is the Oly, and O2 distances.

But again, just my opinion.

As Dev pointed out in his thread, lets look at the majority of folks who do tris. They are the older folks who have knees that dont allow us to run like we used to.

I know if I were to RD a race again, I would try one that met the above goals and see if there were any interest. I did write the RD at LOP and suggest distances that met the above. Never heard back from him.

So in summary, seems to me a "Tri" would have a race with equal efforts, training, times, etc. on all three events.
A "du", puts the effort on two events. Today, most of our "tris", IMO, have the swim no more than a warm up.

Dave
Dave

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: The writing on the wall: Why the 101 Series will go huge. [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wrote that in an editorial some time ago called "Roll Call of Honor". It's here:

http://www.bikesportmichigan.com/...orials/0000086.shtml

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply

Prev Next