Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Trainer road.com [Nate Pearson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nate, I've got some questions that I hope you or anybody on here can help me with:
I have a Computrainer and a PowerTap. The PowerTap is paired with my Garmin 310xt, so workout data is shown on the watch, and I can download it to Garmin Connect.
I routinely calibrate my Computrainer and Calibrate/Zero my PowerTap.

Here's my dilemma. When I ride, I'm assuming the TrainerRoad is accurate with respect to Power. And for the record, the PowerTap data agrees, within +/- 5 watts.
However, when I'm riding the PowerTap tells me I'm going much faster than I should be going. For example, on a long endurance ride for which I feel (perceived effort) I'm hitting between 18 and 20mph, the PowerTap tells me I'm going 30-35mph!

I understand that Power is really the only thing I should be concerned with, but I don't get why it's off. Also, when I ride a Computrainer program (with TrainerRoad off) the speed shown in the program is in line with my perceived effort.
Does anybody have any advice?

Second, how much improvement should one expect to see in FTP (percentage of starting FTP) do people routinely see over the course of a year? From November 6 to now I've seen an increase of about 9%, which I'm pretty happy about. Just wondering if I should be seeing more or less?

Thanks in advance. For the record, I'm not complaining. Just looking for advice and help. I love TrainerRoad!!

Thanks,
Nate
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [anitan1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Nate, I see what you mean. Your avg speed for Balcony shows 29.2 mph. Your wheel circumference looks fine and that isn't even used for speed from the CompuTrainer. I think this is from a bug where kph gets stored as mph. I think our latest beta will fix this but in our current version, just toggling between mph and kph at the bottom of the devices page might fix it. If not, can you try our latest beta and see if you are getting believable speed values?
http://www.trainerroad.com/install

theSufferfest.com
Co-Founder of TrainerRoad.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just completed the 6 week intermediate base. I likely had a sub-par starting FTP test but have experienced a 25% FTP increase.
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [Reid Weber] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Reid Weber wrote:
Hi Nate, I see what you mean. Your avg speed for Balcony shows 29.2 mph. Your wheel circumference looks fine and that isn't even used for speed from the CompuTrainer. I think this is from a bug where kph gets stored as mph. I think our latest beta will fix this but in our current version, just toggling between mph and kph at the bottom of the devices page might fix it. If not, can you try our latest beta and see if you are getting believable speed values?
http://www.trainerroad.com/install

Thanks Reid. I will try first the toggle and then the Beta. But, please tell me if I go to the Beta, I won't lose all of the data I currently have in my Career History. I'd hate to lose all of that....
Thanks again,
Nate
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [riotgear] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Riotgear. I guess there are a bunch of different variables that can affect the result (i.e. how hard you hit your first FTP test, how low your base FTP was, etc.). For the record, I saw my gain after completing the 6 week Intermediate Base II. Again, I'm pretty happy with the 9% improvement I made. I just hope to continue down that path. With this program, it's kind of hard to NOT improve...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Reid, I tried toggling from Miles to Kilometers today about 5 minutes into my ride. I didn't notice any significant change in the speed values on my Garmin.
I'll try out the Beta Version on my next ride, but will I lose all of my Career History?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No, you won't lose any of your history. It's doubl saves locally and on our servers.

CEO at TrainerRoad
Co-host of the Ask a Cycling Coach Podcast
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I recently installed trainer road and was having what I thought were problems pairing my Garmin to use as virtual power. I contacted Nate, and he and Reid provided unbelievable customer support to straighten everything out. With so many threads about poor customer service, I figure it's about time we applaud those who go above and beyond. Not to mention it only costs $10/month.

Andrew
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree. I was having all kinds of drop-out issues that would pause the workout (not fun when you are in middle of a hard 10 minute effort that becomes 11 minutes as I would keep pedaling at effort waiting for it to re-start.

Talked me through a few troubleshooting issues, and it seems that it's a magnet/cadence problem. Replaced the magnet, made sure that it was registering with the sensor, and voila. Also made sure to get a USB extension cable and have my ANT stick closer to the sensor now.

Cervelo R3 and Cannondale Synapse, Argon18 Electron Track Bike
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
anitan1 wrote:
Hey Reid, I tried toggling from Miles to Kilometers today about 5 minutes into my ride. I didn't notice any significant change in the speed values on my Garmin.
I'll try out the Beta Version on my next ride, but will I lose all of my Career History?
I think upgrading to the beta will fix this. As Nate said, you won't lose any of your rides. Before you upgrade, can you do a few short rides, though (1 min is fine)? One with just your computrainer paired and one with just your power meter paired? Keep the Devices tab visible so you can see the speed each one is reporting. You can verify the speed of both of them against your Garmin bike computer

theSufferfest.com
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [russ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Absolutely loving Trainerroad.com! Highly recommend.
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [kenrideout] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ditto! I picked it up at xmas and love it. I'm already seeing gains.

I have deceptive speed.........I'm slower than I look!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks guys :). We try really really hard.

CEO at TrainerRoad
Co-host of the Ask a Cycling Coach Podcast
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Reid,
I can't get the Beta to download. When I click on it, it scans the file but then is disappears and doesn't show up in the Downloads Window... Any thoughts? Do I have to delete my current version first? Not sure what's going on...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You don't need to delete the current version. Here's the direct link.
http://trainerroadcdn1.blob.core.windows.net/...ainerroad.1.3.10.exe
Are you able to download and run that?

theSufferfest.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know why it wouldn't show up in the Download window. It worked fine on my work computer. So, I downloaded it at work and put it on a flash drive. I'll see if that works. If not, I'll use the link you provided.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So I downloaded and hooked up TR to my HR monitor and garmin speed/cadence. Couldn't quite get the gist of what was going on with the red line, then finally figured out it was my HR. After looking online it appears that others get a yellow line for power and that makes more sense. But how do I get it to show up on mine without a power meter?
Thanks,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i'm curious what the data usage is for this feature. i've got my parts on order (speed/cadence sensor should be here today)
i'm moving and i'm looking at using my shared data plan as my internet connection when i do.

have you (or anyone) figured out the data/hr numbers? i'd be interested.

excited to get started with this.

thanks
Tim

Tim
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kenrideout wrote:
Absolutely loving Trainerroad.com! Highly recommend.

Agreed!!! One of my top 5 products of the year!

"Though she be but little, she is fierce" ~Shakespeare | Powered by HD Coaching | 2014 Wattie Ink Triathlon Team | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [cyberjunkie21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cyberjunkie21 wrote:
So I downloaded and hooked up TR to my HR monitor and garmin speed/cadence. Couldn't quite get the gist of what was going on with the red line, then finally figured out it was my HR. After looking online it appears that others get a yellow line for power and that makes more sense. But how do I get it to show up on mine without a power meter?
Thanks,
A couple things could cause power not to show up. Check out this article. http://support.trainerroad.com/...tting-power-readings

theSufferfest.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ahh, I didn't have the trainer selected. Mine isn't listed (older Trek cycleops), so I'm going to select one of the other cycelops models and try it. thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [TimAndrus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TimAndrus wrote:
i'm curious what the data usage is for this feature. i've got my parts on order (speed/cadence sensor should be here today)
i'm moving and i'm looking at using my shared data plan as my internet connection when i do.

have you (or anyone) figured out the data/hr numbers? i'd be interested.

excited to get started with this.

thanks
Tim
Once you log in and wait a few seconds for the workouts to be downloaded there shouldn't be any data usage while you ride. You can even be offline. Once you're done, the ride data along with a few thumbnails get uploaded. I don't know the amount of data this is and it depends a little bit on ride length but you could always just stay offline until you are connected to a cheaper data plan; up to 30 days before you need to connect for a license check.

theSufferfest.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sweet!

Thanks

Tim

Tim
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Reid. I was able to download and install/update the new Beta. I like it, especially the end of interval stats that pop up.
However, unfortunately the update did not fix my problem.
So here's an update on what's going on:
- I calibrate Computrainer often, zero PowerTap often
- Everything seems fine when I'm using only the Computrainer and it's software (no TrainerRoad running)
- In TrainerRoad, the perceived effort is very low for very high speed
- I'm only able to achieve the wattage goals in a ride by using the large chain ring and about my last three rings in back
- In the device window, with only Computrainer paired, the perceived effort is low for high speed
- In the device window with only PowerTap paired, the perceived effort is very low for high speed

It's almost like I'm trying to hit my wattage goals with every ride on a downhill. The problem is I think I'm going to run out of cadence eventually. I can only spin so fast to hit the wattage goals. Thoughts? I'd be willing to call you and work through these issues on the phone with TrainerRoad open in front of me if you think it will help...
Just want to get this fixed...The speed thing is a minor issue because I can just disregard it. But the cadence/gearing issue is gonna be a limiter to my long term improvements, I think.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It sounds like it isn't getting into ERG mode. Couple questions for you. When the computrainer is paired, does the handlebar display display ProE? And is the power source set to CompuTrainer? Email me at support@trainerroad.com and we'll get it figured out or set up a call to figure it out.

theSufferfest.com
Quote Reply

Prev Next