Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Trainer road.com [txnovice] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, that's what I did. I use my power meter for watts and cadence on my trainer road setup, but still keep my head unit on so that I can track distance/speed. I know distance/speed is not important to trainer riding, but I still like to log in the miles on my workout log account.

What I do: http://app.strava.com/athletes/345699
Last edited by: Printer86: Feb 10, 12 6:13
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [djb_rh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
djb_rh wrote:
txnovice wrote:
Maybe you could just go into devices and "unpair" your cadence sensor when you wanted to use the power meter data instead.

Can't do that if you still want the wheelspeed data.

--Donnie

I cant imagine why in the world you would care about speed or distance on the Trainer...

I care about power and time...
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
just downloaded trainer road on monday...what a combination: computrainer, sufferfest, trainer road...excellent!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [rroof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The 1.4 revision allowed Trainer Road to pick up my heart rate and speed from my Computrainer. Thank you!

http://bigmikega.wordpress.com
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [goodboyr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
goodboyr wrote:
Awesome product!
Is there a way to select cadence source if you have a power meter and are using the garmin combined speed/cadence sensor? the program defaults to using the speed/cadence sensor for cadence, but I want it to use the power meters cadence reading instead since I only use the speed/cadence sensor for speed.

What donnie said is correct. We just changed our priority list in the latest version.

Cadence sensor
Speed/Cadence sensor
power meter
Computrainer

We've been meaning to code it where even if you get a "0" from a device it will still check the next device in the list. I bet we'll get that in next release.

CEO at TrainerRoad
Co-host of the Ask a Cycling Coach Podcast
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [BigMikeGA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BigMikeGA wrote:
The 1.4 revision allowed Trainer Road to pick up my heart rate and speed from my Computrainer. Thank you!

Wahoo! Great to hear! :)

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [Donzo98] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Donzo98 wrote:
I cant imagine why in the world you would care about speed or distance on the Trainer...

I care about power and time...

For me it's about what Printer86 said. I agree, for what I'm doing on the trainer, power and time are all that matter. But it just looks cooler to report how many miles you rode this year or whatever versus how much time you spent pedaling. Well, okay, that's kind of cool, too, but to those who don't know much about cycling, those mileage numbers can be darned impressive. I know trainer miles don't necessarily equate to road miles, too, but it's something in the ballpark, at least.

And yes, it's ALL about distance for me. Speed really is useless in this context from what I can tell.

--Donnie
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [djb_rh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I actually removed my cadence magnet from my crank last week since I already get that reading from my power meter. I probably shouldn't have do that.

By the way, I used Trainerroad to do Sufferfest's "The Hunted" workout. I really like that one.

What I do: http://app.strava.com/athletes/345699
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [Printer86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nate,

Love your product. One quick question which I don't think was asked yet in the past 400+ posts. I use a Garmin 705 head unit when outside. I always do a zero offset before starting a ride outside and also have it set to recalibrate when coasting. I haven't found a calibrate/zero offset setting in trainerroad yet. Is there a corresponding requirement? If I did a zero offset on the Garmin headunit does that impact your application (I don't think so as I think the math of the offset is done in the headunit and not in the powertap itself.) Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [Printer86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
By the way, I used Trainerroad to do Sufferfest's "The Hunted" workout. I really like that one.

......don,t you hate how long it takes that mech to change a wheel
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [Nate Pearson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm excited to sign-up today. How long will the $10 per month membership last? Nate, I remember reading something about being locked in to that price if we signed up by a certain date. Thanks again for what seems to be an awesome program!

-Michael Welch My Blog
Supported by: TEAM ZOOT Swiftwick
For all your endurance shopping needs
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [SatMark] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SatMark wrote:
Nate,

Love your product. One quick question which I don't think was asked yet in the past 400+ posts. I use a Garmin 705 head unit when outside. I always do a zero offset before starting a ride outside and also have it set to recalibrate when coasting. I haven't found a calibrate/zero offset setting in trainerroad yet. Is there a corresponding requirement? If I did a zero offset on the Garmin headunit does that impact your application (I don't think so as I think the math of the offset is done in the headunit and not in the powertap itself.) Thanks.

Zero offsets are initiated by the headunit but they are done and saved on the power meter itself.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Nate.

Can you reduce the cool down time on Clark from 12 minutes to say 3 to 5 minutes. I like to sometimes throw in a Extra shot Sufferfest and 12 minutes just turns the engine off.

Why 12 minutes anyway?

Keep up the great work with this super software! I told several about Trainerroad today at a CT TT fest ride we did. Most did not know about it yet.

Thanks.

Gary

CyclingSessions

Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [SatMark] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SatMark wrote:
Nate,

Good question. I know we do calibration stuff for the SRM and Quarq but I'm not sure how it works with the PT. Let me ask Reid...I'm going to point him to this question.

As far as I know though, you don't have to do any offset with TrainerRoad while using a PT.

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [in10siv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
in10siv wrote:
I'm excited to sign-up today. How long will the $10 per month membership last? Nate, I remember reading something about being locked in to that price if we signed up by a certain date. Thanks again for what seems to be an awesome program!

We plan on doing a tiered pricing model once we get a few more features. The good news is that once you lock in your price will never change.

Let's say we have two versions in the future, standard and pro. Anyone who's already signed up would be auto upgraded to pro and still be locked in.

If you suspend your account and come back later, you'll have to pay what ever the price is on that day. Make sense?

Before we do any price increases we'll send out an e-mail and let everyone know that it's coming and let them re-sign up and lock in.

That tiered model is probably a ways out still though.

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [packetloss] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
packetloss wrote:
SatMark wrote:
Nate,

Zero offsets are initiated by the headunit but they are done and saved on the power meter itself.

Ah, there's the answer.

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [cyclingsessions] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cyclingsessions wrote:
Hi Nate.

Can you reduce the cool down time on Clark from 12 minutes to say 3 to 5 minutes. I like to sometimes throw in a Extra shot Sufferfest and 12 minutes just turns the engine off.

Why 12 minutes anyway?

Keep up the great work with this super software! I told several about Trainerroad today at a CT TT fest ride we did. Most did not know about it yet.

Thanks.

Gary

Thanks for spreading the word :).

I think it's 12 minutes because it's supposed to be the cool down at the end of a 90 minute workout. It's not designed to do extra shot afterwards.

For you, I would just end the workout 5 minutes after it by closing the window. Then load up extra shot and you should be good.

Another choice is to edit this workout after we get the workout editor done and tweak it to your heart's content :).

-Nate

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Nate.

Works for me.

Gary

CyclingSessions

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nate Pearson wrote:
cyclingsessions wrote:
Another choice is to edit this workout after we get the workout editor done and tweak it to your heart's content :).

-Nate

This is a very promising statement :-) Hopefully we are getting close

Thanks!

Bill

--------------------------------------------------------
"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well . . .
When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."
# ..Steve McQueen as Michael DeVaney in Le Mans (1971)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For what it's worth, here's an update on my experience with TR...

Background:
I've been riding for about 20 yrs. Nothing serious, a couple of triathlons every year, a weekly TT each summer and maybe 75-125 km week. I cut way back on my cycling and was pretending I was a runner between Sept and November. I took a couple weeks completely off and then started back with about 6 weeks of unstructured bike rides (30-45 min) twice a week and was back running maybe 3 / 4 times a week until January.

Jan 2 - Hooked up my GSC-10 and Garmin 405CX HRM, pumped up my rear tire, set the tension on my trainer, logged onto TR and did the "8 minute test". Based on the results of the test, TR set my FTP and I followed the "Early Base" program for 6 weeks.

Feb 26 - Pumped up the rear tire, set the tension on the trainer and ran a new 8 min test. Results: My FTP has increased by 24 points since the first test.

Thoughts: I really enjoyed the structured workout plan. Over the last several winters, my trainer rides consisted of Spinervals or movies. I would never push as myself as hard as I have this winter. I never came out of the winter thinking that I had actually improved anything, just that I had hopefully maintained my fitness and not gotten fat. I feel much stronger this year and can't wait for the snow to melt, get some daylight and hit the roads.

Awesome product Nate...
Brad

3SIXTY5cycling.com
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [hillier99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow, great job! Don't let the little computer app fool you, you did all the work! We just showed you some numbers.

It's amazing what some structure and focus can do to your fitness level. We have an advanced build plan coming out in about a week. You should check that one out when it drops.

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How different will it be from the "Advanced Base: Strength and Endurance"? (That was where I was headed next...)

Brad

3SIXTY5cycling.com
Quote Reply
Re: Trainer road.com [hillier99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's a good in season plan. We're going to rename our plans.

They are going to be like this:

Beginner Base I
Beginner Base II
Intermediate Base I
Intermediate Base II
Advanced Base I
Advanced Base II

Beginner Build I
Beginner Build II
Intermediate Build I
Intermediate Build II
Advanced Build I
Advanced Build II

So this one is going to be Advanced Build I. It will have more volume, TSS and intensity than the Advanced Base plan.

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How do I know which one of those to pick? This is my first time using a structured workout but my second year doing Ironman. Does that make me a beginner or an intermediate cyclist? Should I base my choice on my FTP?

Some guidance here would be great. Maybe TR can recommend a plan based on the FTP test results?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was doing an unrelated (Carmichael) video in the free ride mode the other day and I was thinking that it would be nice for the power zones to be labeled on the little graph so it's easier for me to see rather than doing math in my head on the fly.
Quote Reply

Prev Next