Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Tom Danielson tests positive for testosterone, denies it on Twitter [Felt_Rider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Felt_Rider wrote:
IMPBAZ wrote:
"The docs clearly make money by getting folks to use, so they push it"

Dave,

I just don't see that you really have support for the above quote.
There are some doctors that are out there for the money, but most want to improve the health and well being of their patients.

Paul

I've had a crossing with one of those types or at least it sure seemed that way. I went to a urologist in my area a number of years ago out of concern of my prostrate after using heavily over 10 years of competitive bodybuilding. The doctor did a blood test and called me back in to discuss my low "T" levels. I was pretty sure my natural levels were impacted and I was approaching my late 40's at that time. I let him talk me into using Androgel, but I felt conflicted by using it. I don't compete in anything so that wasn't the problem, but I had a lot of other issues out of my former use. It was like treating an alcoholic with alcohol. Plus the Androgel seemed very ineffective for the cost out of my pocket since my insurance wasn't covering it. Then I let him talk me into using injectable oil base T and finally the conflicted feeling I was having I did not finish the remainder. At the next annual check he asked me about it and I told him my concerns about my prostrate and other things. At that point he starts going into marketing hype but because I was a former black market dealer, user and long history with this topic most of what he said wasn't true. I did not confront him on the deceptions and just went on my way. A few weeks later I started getting pharmaceutical pamphlets in the mail from his office about other forms of delivery, such as, pelletized slow release T implanted under the skin.

This falls under your "some doctors" category. I am sure many would not do this or at least I hope they would not.

One of the reasons, as there are a number of other reasons, I stopped the T therapy is that I get to speak one on one with athletes on occasion in my area on occasion about using for performance. It is super hypocritical for me to be using a "therapy" dose and talk to them about the cons of using. When I started using and selling through the 80's and 90's it was not that many guys and gals actually using in comparison to today's times IMO. I have more typical husband/father types that approach me with questions than ever before. Unfortunately I find that about 95% of the guys that approach me at first ask me how they can ask their doctor to increase dosage or where they can find a black market source in order to increase dosage. I would also guess that better than 50% of the guys aged 40 and up that I see in my gym are on a doctor's prescription and when they approach me and I begin to ask them questions I find that most have the same urologist that I was using. I would still visit this doctor because he is known as one of the best in my area for prostrate and colon cancer screens.

On a different note, I would give this advice to anyone competing clean. This is coming from a former heavy user.
Never look outward to competition (as in who is going to show up and are they clean), but instead look inward to do your best and look upward to where you would like to go. Where you place following a good effort in training clean is to be appreciated and believe me you will sleep a whole lot better with a clean conscience. I've met many guys and gals that started innocent, but in time they let their paranoia of who might be using ease them into a false justification of why they need to be using as well.

Most I have met that started or considered PEDs started because of paranoia. "I would train clean if they would train clean, but I can't even place because I believe they are on something and without using so I started using."

This.

I'd love to see more schools, coaches, colleges, businesses, TV commercials, lauding this. For the most part however, results are absurdly over-emphasized in so many aspects of society. Considering the way in which schools are teaching kids to care only about what their test scores will be, I predict a possibility that cheating will actually increase with time.

Perhaps it takes the full experience of what it's like to come back from the dark side to appreciate the light.
Quote Reply
Re: Tom Danielson tests positive for testosterone, denies it on Twitter [Felt_Rider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for sharing that information.
I don't think it is hard to find the doctors with poor reasoning or financial motives, they have to be the most aggressive with their approach.

I think it is very valuable to hear how some people reconcile their decision to use PEDs, and how you can "hold the line" against cheating.

Paul
Quote Reply
Re: Tom Danielson tests positive for testosterone, denies it on Twitter [goldentech] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
goldentech wrote:
So the cycling "press" are just going to let this go. Cyclocross pedals! Look at Phinney's cute haircut! He got third in a 4th tier race!
You have a doper build a team around clean cycling (by hiring a bunch of dopers), states several times that if there is a positive it's game over. Turns out his strength of character is the same last time he made the easy decision when Lance Made Him Do It. The really messed up thing is that this was THE chance. He could have called it a day, shopped his MBA around and gone out a hero and changed the sport forever. Instead it's more of the same. It is disappointing, but not surprising.
At least the other endurance sports are clean.

Yup...the sound of crickets coming from the media on this is deafening...

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Tom Danielson tests positive for testosterone, denies it on Twitter [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All of those free trips to Europe and fun toys to "review" (spoiler alert: "vertically compliant, but could use better wheels")..... We all have our price I suppose.
But you know what? I'd say Dan and Herbert have a pair.
I'd love to see Dan call up Cannondale or Castelli and ask when they are planning on suing slipstream for breach of contract (and post the interview for all to read). Or how they can justify continuing to support a bunch of liars or hypocrites.
Look, I get that there is no Santa, but we should at least require the guy pretending to be Santa not to be a f_ing lying hypocrite who won't stand by on one thing he's built his team around.

So what's Garmin's mantra now? It used to be "we may suck, but at least we're clean". It is just now "ok, we still suck, and well um..."
Quote Reply
Re: Tom Danielson tests positive for testosterone, denies it on Twitter [goldentech] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What else do you want the media to say / do at this point? There is nothing else to cover right now.....TD came up hot, it was reported. JV says they are staying in the sport, it was reported (along with his previous statements about pulling out).

Until the B sample comes back, there is nothing to write about.

I am on record as saying there ain't much "journalism" going on in the cycling world...mostly a bunch of wanna-bes sucking up for access. But in this case, there really isn't anything to report.

And why would Cannondale or Castelli sue Slipstream for breach of contract? Have you seen their contracts that indicate that a rider for the team testing positive results in a breach of that contract?

The reality is that it has always been a question of when, not if, a Slipstream rider tested positive. Questioning why their internal tests did not see it before this is certainly valid, but saying their whole program is therefore bullschitt just kinda reeks of personal distate for Vaughters more than anything else.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: Tom Danielson tests positive for testosterone, denies it on Twitter [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm so proud.... Vaughters blocked me from twitter for replying to his tweet about not being selfish therefore he will keep the team going with:

@Vaughters That's BS. You would do more good for cycling by disbanding the team. #doping #cycling @tomdanielson

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Tom Danielson tests positive for testosterone, denies it on Twitter [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Power13 wrote:

And why would Cannondale or Castelli sue Slipstream for breach of contract? Have you seen their contracts that indicate that a rider for the team testing positive results in a breach of that contract?

"...Take a team like ours, if we had two people doping, and it comes out or not, you know, it is the end of the organization because there really is no way around it. The sponsors contractually don’t have to stand by that. I don’t think they would stand by that. The way our organization is set up, we’ve always said this is the way we’re doing things, and we’ve stuck by that from the beginning. We’ve never had a positive test in the organization, in a decade, nor a hint of anyone doping inside the team, ever. And that’s what our sponsors have been promised. They haven’t been promised 50 race wins a year. They’ve been promised, this is the way we’re gonna do it. We might win some races, who knows? And if we don’t live up to our promise the organization is done."

http://pelotonmagazine.com/...an-vaughters-part-1/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"And why would Cannondale or Castelli sue Slipstream for breach of contract?"
I was referencing his quotes from this interview: http://pelotonmagazine.com/...an-vaughters-part-1/
Specifically this section:
When you’ve got a situation like Astana has experienced, with two of its WorldTour guys [Maxim and Valentin Iglinskiy] testing positive for EPO, in a normal team that would spell the end of the team, right?
Yes, that’s a big difference, and a concerning difference with a sponsor that’s looking to have a certain image in public, and their shareholders want to be perceived in a certain way, and so forth [because] they have a basic responsibility to their brand and their shareholders…. That sounds a little over-business-y but responsibility to your brand and shareholders is a big thing. You need to block off a very straight line to keep all of those business interests in place.
Take a team like ours, if we had two people doping, and it comes out or not, you know, it is the end of the organization because there really is no way around it. The sponsors contractually don’t have to stand by that. I don’t think they would stand by that. The way our organization is set up, we’ve always said this is the way we’re doing things, and we’ve stuck by that from the beginning. We’ve never had a positive test in the organization, in a decade, nor a hint of anyone doping inside the team, ever. And that’s what our sponsors have been promised. They haven’t been promised 50 race wins a year. They’ve been promised, this is the way we’re gonna do it. We might win some races, who knows? And if we don’t live up to our promise the organization is done.

And we have different definitions of B.S. I define BS as not doing what you promised. I actually like JV as a person, he's a character but is passing up an opportunity to show real character. So somebody (the cycling press) needs to call his boss (sponsors) and say WTF. The minimum should have been to suspend all racing until
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ha-we simul-posted the same quote! I wasted more time adding comments so people would think I'm clever though....
Quote Reply
Re: Tom Danielson tests positive for testosterone, denies it on Twitter [aaronechang] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pretty sure the operative phrase there is sponsors "contractually don't have to stand by that."

Now, without seeing the contracts, it would seem to indicate that sponsors would be relieved of their obligations in the case of a positive test, if they choose

Does that mean they can sue for breach? Dunno, I'll defer to the lawyers but I'll ask again - why would they? I have not seen any statement from a Slipstream sponsor indicating they felt cheated. in fact, it seems they feel the exact opposite - they apparently pushed Vaughters to continue.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: Tom Danielson tests positive for testosterone, denies it on Twitter [jmh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jmh wrote:
So apparently there is no love lost still between these two. Pretty sure LA is bigger asshat here, even if JV isn't keeping his word.

1. Jonathan Vaughters ‏@Vaughters 7h7 hours ago
    Selfishly, Id like to disappear, but that hurts quite a few good people. Therefore,Slipstream's owners(me too) have decided to push forward.
    91 retweets244 favorites
    Retweet91
    Favorite244
    More

2. Lance Armstrong ‏@lancearmstrong 2h2 hours ago
    @Vaughters those good people would be better off without you.

Meh. Just telling it like it is.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
goldentech wrote:
All of those free trips to Europe and fun toys to "review" (spoiler alert: "vertically compliant, but could use better wheels")..... We all have our price I suppose.
But you know what? I'd say Dan and Herbert have a pair.
I'd love to see Dan call up Cannondale or Castelli and ask when they are planning on suing slipstream for breach of contract (and post the interview for all to read). Or how they can justify continuing to support a bunch of liars or hypocrites.
Look, I get that there is no Santa, but we should at least require the guy pretending to be Santa not to be a f_ing lying hypocrite who won't stand by on one thing he's built his team around.

So what's Garmin's mantra now? It used to be "we may suck, but at least we're clean". It is just now "ok, we still suck, and well um..."

And right on cue, VN comes out with this interesting bit of "ethical relativism"...http://velonews.competitor.com/...-consequences_380654

<rolleyes>

Quote Reply
Re: Tom Danielson tests positive for testosterone, denies it on Twitter [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:

Meh. Just telling it like it is.

Yes, maybe there's some truth hidden in there if you can fight through the 25 layers of irony and hypocrisy?
Quote Reply
Re: Tom Danielson tests positive for testosterone, denies it on Twitter [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I read it as "Leave Britney alone!"

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:

And right on cue, VN comes out with this interesting bit of "ethical relativism"...http://velonews.competitor.com/...-consequences_380654

<rolleyes>

I wouldn't mind the relativism if Vaughters had set himself up as a relativist ("I'm going to do the best I can given the culture of drugs, etc")

He didn't. He set himself up as an absolutist. And switched to being a relativist when it became convenient. Much like Lance switched to telling the truth when it became convenient.

Also the last line is a false choice. Vaughters doesn't have to wash his hands of the sport entirely. He just has to resign from Garmin-Cannondale. Plenty of other jobs in the sport unless the sport enforces "omerta" on his ass for talking too much, which Lance's tweet seems to suggest to me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So let me get this right. T.D. tests positive and not just because of Vaughters previous comments but for He himself, he should fold the team and leave? Correct? And if T.D. did not test positive, you are good with him in cycling?
I am not defending J.V., just want o get this straight. Do you feel just as strongly that BMC should fold up because of Ochowicz
Quote Reply
Re: Tom Danielson tests positive for testosterone, denies it on Twitter [Kenney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JV shouldnt make promises that his pasty ass can't keep.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Tom Danielson tests positive for testosterone, denies it on Twitter [Kenney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kenney wrote:
So let me get this right. T.D. tests positive and not just because of Vaughters previous comments but for He himself, he should fold the team and leave? Correct? And if T.D. did not test positive, you are good with him in cycling?
I am not defending J.V., just want o get this straight. Do you feel just as strongly that BMC should fold up because of Ochowicz

You lost me there...can you try asking that first question in another manner?

As far as Och goes, I don't think he should be involved in cycling...BUT, AFAIK he's never made the same statements about a single doping positive spelling the end of the team...so, I'm not quite sure where you're going with that either :-/

Quote Reply
Re: Tom Danielson tests positive for testosterone, denies it on Twitter [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Tom A. wrote:

<rolleyes>

I wouldn't mind the relativism if Vaughters had set himself up as a relativist ("I'm going to do the best I can given the culture of drugs, etc")

He didn't. He set himself up as an absolutist. And switched to being a relativist when it became convenient. Much like Lance switched to telling the truth when it became convenient.

Also the last line is a false choice. Vaughters doesn't have to wash his hands of the sport entirely. He just has to resign from Garmin-Cannondale. Plenty of other jobs in the sport unless the sport enforces "omerta" on his ass for talking too much, which Lance's tweet seems to suggest to me.

Exactly

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I understand that Vaughters made a comment that many now would like to see him keep by leaving. With that said, the level of sarcasm and vitriol against Vaughters seems to be a bit over the top. He is getting more abuse on here than T.D. Wonder how many here who have made a foolish comment at work, would then quit there job when proven foolish.
Maybe I misunderstood your post, but because of comment that J.V. said he should now leave and anything else he says now proves he compromises, is a liar or whatever. I do think there is some truth in the article you linked in where from when Slipstream started J.V's personality aside, He and his team has done good for the sport. I do not think that should all be thrown away for a foolish statement that was not thought through.
As Och, well yes he hasn't made the mistake of a statement but I think he has a history of actions in cycling that are way way worse. If the anger is toward J.V. to be gone for his statement, there should be a whole lot more against others, hell, he is getting more hate here than Astana and Vino.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
trail wrote:
Tom A. wrote:

<rolleyes>

Exactly

So J.V has been lying for years and years with Slipstream and now changes do to being caught with a foolish comment.........consequences of T.D.positive, and that is comparable to Lance's lying and actions for all those years.
If all these years he has been a complete liar and was not trying to have a clean team at any point, yes, he should be thrown out, not just leave. That seems a stretch at this point though
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kenney wrote:
I understand that Vaughters made a comment that many now would like to see him keep by leaving. With that said, the level of sarcasm and vitriol against Vaughters seems to be a bit over the top. He is getting more abuse on here than T.D. Wonder how many here who have made a foolish comment at work, would then quit there job when proven foolish.
Maybe I misunderstood your post, but because of comment that J.V. said he should now leave and anything else he says now proves he compromises, is a liar or whatever. I do think there is some truth in the article you linked in where from when Slipstream started J.V's personality aside, He and his team has done good for the sport. I do not think that should all be thrown away for a foolish statement that was not thought through.
As Och, well yes he hasn't made the mistake of a statement but I think he has a history of actions in cycling that are way way worse. If the anger is toward J.V. to be gone for his statement, there should be a whole lot more against others, hell, he is getting more hate here than Astana and Vino.

Here's what I think you're missing...it wasn't just some sort of throwaway comment. His team was BUILT on that premise. That's how he sold it to sponsors and fans...and even to his younger riders. It was stated multiple times over the years.

Here's the opportunity he's missing: If he were to actually LIVE UP TO his stated consequences for what occurred, he would actually gain additional "gravitas" as someone who keeps his word and does things because they are right. Although it would be throwing a figurative bomb into cycling...in the long term...when he does come back into cycling (and don't think he wouldn't end up back in cycling in some form) he re-enters as the guy with the moral high ground and should be able to effect even greater change.

As it sits, we're just left with yet another team with leadership that is demonstrably dishonest. No different than the others. Staying actually makes things worse overall. Great.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
..it wasn't just some sort of throwaway comment. His team was BUILT on that premise. That's how he sold it to sponsors and fans...and even to his younger riders. It was stated multiple times over the years.

Here's the opportunity he's missing: If he were to actually LIVE UP TO his stated consequences for what occurred, he would actually gain additional "gravitas" as someone who keeps his word and does things because they are right. Although it would be throwing a figurative bomb into cycling...in the long term...when he does come back into cycling (and don't think he wouldn't end up back in cycling in some form) he re-enters as the guy with the moral high ground and should be able to effect even greater change.

As it sits, we're just left with yet another team with leadership that is demonstrably dishonest.
Well said.

http://www.jt10000.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well I guess we will just disagree then. I see and respect your point, just think its an over simplification. I think if he left, he would never get back in. I am also not saying he should stay, just that to say it is now just another dishonest team is a bit far. I simply do not know what his sponsors are asking. Others are asking. To think he would NEVER have someone test hot is/was foolish on his part and anyone elses. Could this be the final nail in the team, could be. Is that deserved, could be.
So I will close with, I do respect your views and agree you have some solid points. I am just not that far yet. Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
Kenney wrote:

Here's what I think you're missing...it wasn't just some sort of throwaway comment. His team was BUILT on that premise. That's how he sold it to sponsors and fans...and even to his younger riders. It was stated multiple times over the years.

As it sits, we're just left with yet another team with leadership that is demonstrably dishonest. No different than the others. Staying actually makes things worse overall. Great.

^This. All of it.
Quote Reply

Prev Next