Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Tom Danielson tests positive for testosterone, denies it on Twitter [nate.j.king] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nate.j.king wrote:
mcycle wrote:
But, the silence and cycling omerta is deafening right now. Very, very few active pros (I'm focusing here on top domestic U.S. racers and World Tour guys that might be racing in the U.S.) have made any comment. If everyone is clean or the sport is trying to get clean, when a top U.S. racer gets busted, I would think all the clean guys would stand up and be super pissed at yet another rider tested positive, in this day of 'clean cycling'. It's all a marketing PR scam, as it has been for decades, in my mind, with many riders still doping.

I think if he'd been riding for any team save Garmindale, the tone of the reaction would be quite a bit different. If it had been Horner, you can bet he'd be getting dragged through the streets of downtown Logan tonight.

Right now, there's the very real possibility that a lot of guys are going to be without jobs and American road racing is going to take a massive body blow from the consequences. No one is covering anything up, but no one is singing about it from the rooftops yet. Make sense?

If the team folds, than so be it, and actually Vaughters word will be more meaningful. If Vaughters wants to back pedal, that's fine for him, but his words will mean even less. If TDs 'clean' teammates rip apart his actions, that will mean something to, of course it could all be lies, as they historically have been, but silence is the easy way out.

So is Tommy D the old or new generation, anyway, as the new generation doesn't dope.

Talansky ripped apart Di Luca for testing positive, will he rip apart TD? From talansky's blog... Golden, just golden, as long as you believe, too bad there have been tons of positive athletes since that blog post..... I think Lance told us to believe as welll with his yellow jersey Paris TdF podium speech....

"Tomorrow, I will line up at the start line with my teammates and competitors, and we will race. A deserving winner will stand on top of the podium. That is what I believe. I love my sport and I will do anything to share that love with all the real fans out there, to give journalists something real to write about. So here is my challenge to all of you: BELIEVE! If you are capable, believe in me, believe in my team, believe in my competitors, believe in this sport. I do. It has so much good to offer, so much excitement to share, so much inspiration to provide, all you have to do is believe."
Posted 11th February 2011 by Andrew Talansky
Last edited by: mcycle: Aug 3, 15 20:32
Quote Reply
Re: Tom Danielson tests positive for testosterone, denies it on Twitter [mcycle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mcycle wrote:
"Tomorrow, I will line up at the start line with my teammates and competitors, and we will race. A deserving winner will stand on top of the podium. That is what I believe. I love my sport and I will do anything to share that love with all the real fans out there, to give journalists something real to write about. So here is my challenge to all of you: BELIEVE! If you are capable, believe in me, believe in my team, believe in my competitors, believe in this sport. I do. It has so much good to offer, so much excitement to share, so much inspiration to provide, all you have to do is believe."

Talansky might want to consider a second career as a preacher.

I don't think Cannondale-Garmin will fold. Cannondale needs a WT team to promote its brand. The team ownership and sponsorship is different now than when JV made the various comments people are now quoting. Plus it is easy to let Danielson take the fall alone. They gave him a chance, offered him a safeharbor despite his history, and he blew it.
Quote Reply
Re: Tom Danielson tests positive for testosterone, denies it on Twitter [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
let me be clear. this fellow, ga tri coach, he might be muling dope to all his athletes. he might be sending all his athletes to cenegenics. i don't know. i don't know him (as far as i know). it's just that i remember in the 60s and 70s that an older generation was telling the youth that killer weed will fry your brain. scare tactics didn't work. honesty would have been better in retrospect.

in all other areas of slowtwitch data rules. i think when it comes to doping, data should also rule. reason should rule.

what i HOPE, when my worse angels are running things, which is often the case, is that people who're taking low-T in order to dope are supercharging their latent cancers. i hope they get acne, tiny balls and, god help me, a little dose of lung cancer.

but i don't know that this is the case. i don't know whether taking EPO and testosterone as a 55 or 60 year old prolongs your years or shortens them. yes, there are side effects to all these drugs, and i also know firsthand there are side effects to aging. so, i just don't know. and that's one reason why, beyond the ethical fact (it's cheating) i don't take drugs to enhance my life - i don't know. it's a young science.

so, while a part of me hopes those who're taking PEDs are growing little cancers, and that their dicks will fall off, i don't know. and i must assume taking EPO is safer than it was 20 years ago because i don't hear of athletes dying because their blood is the consistency of tomato sauce. i just think it's always going to be better to speak the truth, even if it's not the message we'd choose.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Tom Danielson tests positive for testosterone, denies it on Twitter [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
In addition to being married, Danielson has a girlfriend named Kourtney Compton, whom he met in Utah where she was working as a podium girl at the Tour of Utah.[36] It also appears he has doped... again.

Another sad day for the sport, but doping aside, what really has me confused is how the door knob on the left managed to get a date with the girl on the right? Smile

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Last edited by: ms6073: Aug 3, 15 21:04
Quote Reply
Re: Tom Danielson tests positive for testosterone, denies it on Twitter [ms6073] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
this is very easy to answer. if you saw my wife, you'd know that i'm an expert on how doorknobs can land bettys.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Tom Danielson tests positive for testosterone, denies it on Twitter [ms6073] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He was buying Roofies while he was at the chemists..

"3 for me, one for her.... 3 for me , one for her..."
Quote Reply
Re: Tom Danielson tests positive for testosterone, denies it on Twitter [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
grumpier.mike wrote:
I would find hard to believe that a reputable vitamin maker (if there is such a thing) would also be producing controlled substances, but I could understand some moron not carefully cleaning the machinery.

I think it varies by manufacturer, but my understanding is that the supplement manufacturers generally outsource production. So they're contracting with some other company to mix the stuff and put in pills, etc. And who knows what else that other company is making the rest of the week, etc.. That other company might forget to properly clean the equipment, etc.

Of course that creates a great chain of plausible deniability for both the athlete and the supplement manufacturer.

I generally don't buy it.

Sorry I guess my question wasn't very clear. I was asking if something like DHEA could trigger a synthetic testosterone positive. If it could/would, then I can see a cross-contamination defense being at least plausible. If the answer is no, then my BS meter is registering an 11.

I don't think it is very likely that a vitamin company would be working with both a controlled substance And some snake oil supplement like saw palmetto, which I just took in the hope that it will help my old man prostate. :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Tom Danielson tests positive for testosterone, denies it on Twitter [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
if you saw my wife, you'd know that i'm an expert on how doorknobs can land bettys.

Yes, but over the long term, you bring a whole lot more to the table compared to TommyD.

grumpier.mike wrote:
If the answer is no, then my BS meter is registering an 11.
I used to think there was a chance of a false positive, but I am no longer willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Last edited by: ms6073: Aug 3, 15 23:21
Quote Reply
Re: Tom Danielson tests positive for testosterone, denies it on Twitter [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 Gaimon lived in TD's basement last year when they were teammates. Apparently he has more latitude for dopers proffering a cot to sleep on.
Last edited by: Carl Spackler: Aug 3, 15 23:25
Quote Reply
Re: Tom Danielson tests positive for testosterone, denies it on Twitter [Ga Tri Coach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
actually the truth is we do not know.

T supplementation leads to prostate CA - we think, now we all end up, most of the time, dying with prostate CA rather than of it, but if I'm 40-50 and start taking it, the likely hood of it being dying of, rather than with, changes

the issue here is that CA is not understood well enough to understand why one person's 5 year survival rate differs so significantly from another without genetic testing, the follow on from that is that T supplementation may affect different individuals differently and we've not been doing it long enough to understand the consequences given the length of time it takes for the disease to manifest itself

so what I know is, that whilst my PCP may be comfortable prescribing it, my colleagues who are pretty switched on as academic physician / surgeon researchers and they're saying don't do it
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ms6073 wrote:
Quote:
In addition to being married, Danielson has a girlfriend named Kourtney Compton, whom he met in Utah where she was working as a podium girl at the Tour of Utah.[36] It also appears he has doped... again.

Another sad day for the sport, but doping aside, what really has me confused is how the door knob on the left managed to get a date with the girl on the right? Smile

Easy - $$$
Quote Reply
Re: Tom Danielson tests positive for testosterone, denies it on Twitter [gibson00] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
More than a date. He left wife #2 and kids for her. And they've been living/training in Girona. It's 2003 all over again!

http://kourtneycompton.com/journal/
Quote Reply
Re: Tom Danielson tests positive for testosterone, denies it on Twitter [mcycle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mcycle wrote:

So is Tommy D the old or new generation, anyway, as the new generation doesn't dope.

Talansky ripped apart Di Luca for testing positive, will he rip apart TD? From talansky's blog... Golden, just golden, as long as you believe, too bad there have been tons of positive athletes since that blog post..... I think Lance told us to believe as welll with his yellow jersey Paris TdF podium speech....

It's all just part of their rhetoric. Just like how if the topic of doping comes up, Bob and Christian talk as if it's a few bad apples that need to be outed.

No one will be convincing me anytime soon that the peloton is essentially clean. Not sure why anyone was ready to believe that.
Last edited by: mcmetal: Aug 4, 15 5:11
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ms6073 wrote:
Quote:

All that testosterone must have some other side effects :)
Quote Reply
Re: Tom Danielson tests positive for testosterone, denies it on Twitter [mcmetal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mcmetal wrote:
ms6073 wrote:
Quote:

All that testosterone must have some other side effects :)

Yeah, I hear she's growing a beard.
Quote Reply
Re: Tom Danielson tests positive for testosterone, denies it on Twitter [mcmetal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mcmetal wrote:
mcycle wrote:

It's all just part of their rhetoric. Just like how if the topic of doping comes up, Bob and Christian talk as if it's a few bad apples that need to be outed.

No one will be convincing me anytime soon that the peloton is essentially clean. Not sure why anyone was ready to believe that.

I have a question... I agree with you that the peleton is still far, far from clean, as are most pro sports. But why do Astana riders keep getting popped while most other teams manage to beat the tests (TD being a bit of an anomaly)? Are Astana just being much less subtle about it?
Quote Reply
Re: Tom Danielson tests positive for testosterone, denies it on Twitter [kny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kny wrote:
More than a date. He left wife #2 and kids for her. And they've been living/training in Girona. It's 2003 all over again!

Why do US cyclists and triathletes continue to live and train in Girona? "I live and train in Girona" is a red flag.

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by dgran [ In reply to ]
Re: Tom Danielson tests positive for testosterone, denies it on Twitter [Alvin Tostig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alvin Tostig wrote:
kny wrote:

Why do US cyclists and triathletes continue to live and train in Girona? "I live and train in Girona" is a red flag.
Low cost of living, nice weather, great roads and hills, respectful drivers. Is there a better place to train?
Quote Reply
Re: Tom Danielson tests positive for testosterone, denies it on Twitter [Alvin Tostig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alvin Tostig wrote:
kny wrote:

Because the paella is freakin' amazing. And so is the riding. And LA's penthouse pad is available cheap with the refrigerator still stocked up with butter. Seriously, though, the riding is insane. Costa Brava one way, Pyrenees the other. Whatever kind of terrain you want is within reach.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Let's see how long it takes for her to dump him if he gets tossed from the sport.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ms6073 wrote:
I used to think there was a chance of a false positive, but I am no longer willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.

I'm in this same boat with you now. Test shows up with a positive hit, you did it. We've just learned too much about this from the LA saga to think otherwise any longer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mcycle wrote:

He's a LA wanna be, both on the bike and in his personal life apparently, so in no way would I put him the new generation category. He's just not as evil nor does he have the mental aptitude to pull it off. I think he just got a pass from the original LA USPS fall out because of his age and willingness to sing to investigators.
Quote Reply
Re: Tom Danielson tests positive for testosterone, denies it on Twitter [gregf83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gregf83 wrote:
Alvin Tostig wrote:
kny wrote:

Low cost of living, nice weather, great roads and hills, respectful drivers. Is there a better place to train?
Throw in the recent history with Americans who lived and trained in Girona while using PED's and blood bags and Spain's lax attitudes when it comes to prosecuting athletes using PED's and blood bags.

Plenty of athletes (US and European) get good results in races without living and training in Girona.

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mcycle wrote:
Shortly after retiring, Vaughters launched a developmental cycling squad dedicated to ethical competition. That team has since evolved into Cannondale-Garmin. Early on, the team implemented a stringent doping policy that remains today. If a rider is caught doping, the whole team will be fired.

Business as usual:
https://twitter.com/...s/628554861865529344
@Vaughters: Selfishly, Id like to disappear, but that hurts quite a few good people. Therefore,Slipstream's owners(me too) have decided to push forward.
Quote Reply

Prev Next