Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Tom Danielson tests positive for testosterone, denies it on Twitter [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrewmc wrote:
I don't care and it's not important enough for me to invest that degree of effort in to it but I'm not at the pointy end, i'm also not sure how much more I'd care if I were , though I suspect that the closer I got, the greater the incentive and obvious associated benefits of taking them become - I'm still pretty certain I wouldn't care

I think for the most part, the sports populated with extremely competitive, well off smart individuals with access to resources both financial and knowledge based that could assist them in their quest to dope

I think if people are willing to take steroids, hgh and other drugs just to improve their looks, if they're willing to have plastic surgery, botox to treat lines, and dye their hair to maintain an image, some of them would sure as shit be willing to investigate the improvements in performance that come with a doping program

I'm certain that there's a group that dopes, a group that drafts and dopes and a group that drafts and it wouldn't surprise me at all that there are people in both the drafting and doping group that would say they'd never "draft / dope" and have some sort of distorted mental rationalisation as for why

Good summary on the age group front.

I am absolutely certain that the number of people going faster in 50-54 today than we were doing in 40-44 ten years ago, is not just linked to the growth of sport, better training and "more drafting". I am more than certain there is a lot of "outside assistance" at play. All the fast pros and age groupers from when were were 30-34 are slower now at 50-54....then you have guys coming out of relatively nowhere and making big gains in their late 40's and early 50's. It defies logic. I can see getting faster on the bike due to equipment and maybe more dense courses with intentional and non intentional drafting. Swim and run time improvements are very very suspect.

But I bet you the guys doping will be done and falling apart in a few years. But they won't care. They will have a spent a few years at the top of the sport, stroked their egos and moved on to the next thing. When pro times don't get faster over a few decades and older age groups get faster and faster and faster (while pros moving into those age groups get slower), there is something wrong.

There is also very likely a group of older age groupers who are doped and THINK they are legal because their doc prescribed the medication. Their doc has no clue about competition/WADA rules and they intentionally don't want to really find out. They kind of know they are doping but justify it to themselves as "Doc's orders".
Quote Reply
Re: Tom Danielson tests positive for testosterone, denies it on Twitter [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Amen.
Quote Reply
Re: Tom Danielson tests positive for testosterone, denies it on Twitter [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Andrewmc wrote:
I don't care and it's not important enough for me to invest that degree of effort in to it but I'm not at the pointy end, i'm also not sure how much more I'd care if I were , though I suspect that the closer I got, the greater the incentive and obvious associated benefits of taking them become - I'm still pretty certain I wouldn't care

I think for the most part, the sports populated with extremely competitive, well off smart individuals with access to resources both financial and knowledge based that could assist them in their quest to dope

I think if people are willing to take steroids, hgh and other drugs just to improve their looks, if they're willing to have plastic surgery, botox to treat lines, and dye their hair to maintain an image, some of them would sure as shit be willing to investigate the improvements in performance that come with a doping program

I'm certain that there's a group that dopes, a group that drafts and dopes and a group that drafts and it wouldn't surprise me at all that there are people in both the drafting and doping group that would say they'd never "draft / dope" and have some sort of distorted mental rationalisation as for why

Good summary on the age group front.

I am absolutely certain that the number of people going faster in 50-54 today than we were doing in 40-44 ten years ago, is not just linked to the growth of sport, better training and "more drafting". I am more than certain there is a lot of "outside assistance" at play. All the fast pros and age groupers from when were were 30-34 are slower now at 50-54....then you have guys coming out of relatively nowhere and making big gains in their late 40's and early 50's. It defies logic. I can see getting faster on the bike due to equipment and maybe more dense courses with intentional and non intentional drafting. Swim and run time improvements are very very suspect.

But I bet you the guys doping will be done and falling apart in a few years. But they won't care. They will have a spent a few years at the top of the sport, stroked their egos and moved on to the next thing. When pro times don't get faster over a few decades and older age groups get faster and faster and faster (while pros moving into those age groups get slower), there is something wrong.

There is also very likely a group of older age groupers who are doped and THINK they are legal because their doc prescribed the medication. Their doc has no clue about competition/WADA rules and they intentionally don't want to really find out. They kind of know they are doping but justify it to themselves as "Doc's orders".

Kevin Moats didn't fall apart. He'd still be competing in WTC and doping like a fiend if he hadn't gotten caught.

Don't believe that dopers are necessarily "ruining" their bodies. There's quite a few of them out there that know what they're doing and can sustain it for awhile.

---------------------

"Whether you believe you can or you can't, you are right."
Quote Reply
Re: Tom Danielson tests positive for testosterone, denies it on Twitter [Ga Tri Coach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ga Tri Coach wrote:
Don't believe that dopers are necessarily "ruining" their bodies. There's quite a few of them out there that know what they're doing and can sustain it for awhile.

You may wanna ask some of the old WWF / WWE stars what they think about that statement.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: Tom Danielson tests positive for testosterone, denies it on Twitter [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Power13 wrote:
Ga Tri Coach wrote:

You may wanna ask some of the old WWF / WWE stars what they think about that statement.

Doping has changed a lot in 30-40 years.

You can't compare the crap that the older wrestlers did to themselves with what an AG triathlete can today take legally under a doctor's care to boost their performance.

Not the same.

---------------------

Quote Reply
Re: Tom Danielson tests positive for testosterone, denies it on Twitter [Ftfrst] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ftfrst wrote:
I remember the guy who got popped at Gran Fondo NY was quotes as saying the EPO and whatever he was doing was ~$1200/mth habit to be the Cat 3 phenom that he was.

Here's the article. Good read to understand the slippery slope
Quote Reply
Re: Tom Danielson tests positive for testosterone, denies it on Twitter [Ga Tri Coach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ga Tri Coach wrote:
Power13 wrote:
Ga Tri Coach wrote:

You can't compare the crap that the older wrestlers did to themselves with what an AG triathlete can today take legally under a doctor's care to boost their performance.

Not the same.

LOL.....you may wanna review that post and see if you can find the fatal flaw in your logic.

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: Tom Danielson tests positive for testosterone, denies it on Twitter [cartsman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was talking about AG'ers. ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Power13 wrote:
Ga Tri Coach wrote:
Power13 wrote:
Ga Tri Coach wrote:

Not the same.

LOL.....you may wanna review that post and see if you can find the fatal flaw in your logic.

LOL yourself.

You can't compare pro wrestlers' doping experiences of the past, to the average AG tri athlete doper of today, to make the point that triathletes are ruining their bodies with doping.

The types of drugs, quantity, and knowledge of long term effects of different drugs and drug combinations have changed. Getting regular T injections under a doctor's care for "aging" issues does not necessarily carry the same health risks as gobbling handfuls of Dianabol.

Hope I cleared that up for you.

---------------------

Quote Reply
Re: Tom Danielson tests positive for testosterone, denies it on Twitter [cartsman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cartsman wrote:
TxDude wrote:
*I'm not the moral police, just pointing out that this has nothing to do with money

It's not just the prize money to take into account here, it's the money in the whole sport. That's where triathlon is different from cycling. Cycling is big business. Big name teams with multi-million pound budgets, and huge corporate sponsors. 5 million spectators or something at the Tour de France. Big TV deals. There are an awful lot of people who aren't cyclists who make their living from cycling. That's where a lot of the pressure to dope comes from. You want to make a career out of cycling you need to get on a team. If the team decides that it needs to dope in order to get the wins it needs to keep the sponsors happy and retain it's World Tour place, then suddenly you have a young rider who is having to make an active choice to stay clean and will likely lose his job as a result.

Triathlon is different because for the most part it's an individual sport where athletes tend to hire coaches rather than vice versa. Sure, there are some training teams but they still compete as individuals. It seems like in triathlon it would be much more the case that an individual would have to make a conscious decision to dope (I'm sure many do) whereas in cycling they had to make a conscious decision not to (at least for certain teams in the 90s and 00s that certainly seems to be the case).

Age group bike racing like age group triathlon is NOT big business. Master's racers have been getting popped pretty regularly for the last few years since USAC started testing extensively at masters nationals. But that's because they've been testing masters cyclists. I can probably count off 10 to 15 guys that I personally know who are over 40-45 who've been drug tested at bike races over the last five years. I've been tested 5 (FIVE) times. All since I turned 50 in 2011. A number of triathletes seem to live in the fantasy world where triathletes don't dope. The reality is that they don't test triathletes in anywhere near the same numbers that they are testing in other sports. If they ever start doing extensive AG testing in triathlon I think some people here are in for a rude awakening when they see the positive tests start adding up.

People dope for all kinds of reasons. Making big bucks is only one small reason.

I don't think that doping is necessarily all over AG cycling or triathlon. I don't worry whether or not the guys who beat me (or not) are doping. There are a lot of great, clean athlete's. But I do know that there are dopers out there in all sports. It's just a matter of putting more resources into catching them.

Kevin

http://kevinmetcalfe.dreamhosters.com
My Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Tom Danielson tests positive for testosterone, denies it on Twitter [TxDude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had to laugh when I read that TD was "shocked" that he had tested positive. Living here in Durango CO for over a decade now I can attest that it is common knowledge here that Tommy D's first wife divorced him over his incessant doping many years ago, long before he had his first official suspension.

To be "shocked" I guess means that he thought that he had a free pass to dope up a storm given that he was going to compete in a US stage race. He must have confused the Tour of Utah with the AMGEN Tour of California. TD was never the sharpest tool in the box......guess that his second wife and current groupie/girlfriend are going to be disappointed.

Tony Verow MD
Durango, CO 81301
Averow@bresnan.net
Quote Reply
Re: Tom Danielson tests positive for testosterone, denies it on Twitter [Clempson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Clempson wrote:
Ftfrst wrote:
I remember the guy who got popped at Gran Fondo NY was quotes as saying the EPO and whatever he was doing was ~$1200/mth habit to be the Cat 3 phenom that he was.

Here's the article. Good read to understand the slippery slope

Amazing article. It's hard to wrap your head around spending that much a month and taking that kind of chance to win as a Cat 3, but then after reading the article I can see how someone can get obsessed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Some people argue that Lance's testicular cancer was caused by the steroids. PEDs will have side effects, no matter how advanced they get... it just may be awhile before we figure out what those side effects actually are. Especially when guys are guzzling some new drug that they found out about last week.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ga Tri Coach wrote:
Power13 wrote:
Ga Tri Coach wrote:
Power13 wrote:
Ga Tri Coach wrote:

Not the same.

LOL yourself.

You can't compare pro wrestlers' doping experiences of the past, to the average AG tri athlete doper of today, to make the point that triathletes are ruining their bodies with doping.

The types of drugs, quantity, and knowledge of long term effects of different drugs and drug combinations have changed. Getting regular T injections under a doctor's care for "aging" issues does not necessarily carry the same health risks as gobbling handfuls of Dianabol.

Still missing the point completely.....

moving on.

Quote Reply
Re: Tom Danielson tests positive for testosterone, denies it on Twitter [aw3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There hasn't been a clean Olympic final heat of the 100m since before steroids. The state of the sport hasn't changed much in 30-40 years, people are just starting to notice now is all.

aw3 wrote:
I don't have anything to add to the Tom Danielson discussion, but the Justin Gatlin situation is a joke.

I'm dreading the Men's 100m Final in Rio, if he gets on the podium (or god forbid wins it) it will just be a slap in the face of everyone watching. What does that say about the state of the sport?!
Quote Reply
Re: Tom Danielson tests positive for testosterone, denies it on Twitter [TonyV] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TonyV wrote:
I had to laugh when I read that TD was "shocked" that he had tested positive. Living here in Durango CO for over a decade now I can attest that it is common knowledge here that Tommy D's first wife divorced him over his incessant doping many years ago, long before he had his first official suspension.

To be "shocked" I guess means that he thought that he had a free pass to dope up a storm given that he was going to compete in a US stage race. He must have confused the Tour of Utah with the AMGEN Tour of California. TD was never the sharpest tool in the box......guess that his second wife and current groupie/girlfriend are going to be disappointed.

Let's look at his past:

#1 dope to either get a pro contract or keep a pro contract or both
#2 get a pretty decent paycheck from doing #1
#3 sign with a team owner who knows I doped yet gives me a pass as long as I promise to stay clean and to no longer wear my hat backward
#4 admit to doping and receive a 6 month ban over the winter.
#5 keep my pretty decent paycheck even after #1 and #4

Why would he stop doping? Partly you have to look at this as a failure of USADA and #4.
Quote Reply
Re: Tom Danielson tests positive for testosterone, denies it on Twitter [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"I am absolutely certain that the number of people going faster in 50-54 today than we were doing in 40-44 ten years ago, is not just linked to the growth of sport, better training and "more drafting". I am more than certain there is a lot of "outside assistance" at play. All the fast pros and age groupers from when were were 30-34 are slower now at 50-54....then you have guys coming out of relatively nowhere and making big gains in their late 40's and early 50's. It defies logic. I can see getting faster on the bike due to equipment and maybe more dense courses with intentional and non intentional drafting. Swim and run time improvements are very very suspect.

There is also very likely a group of older age groupers who are doped and THINK they are legal because their doc prescribed the medication. Their doc has no clue about competition/WADA rules and they intentionally don't want to really find out. They kind of know they are doping but justify it to themselves as "Doc's orders". "
----------------------------------------------

Dev,

I tend to mostly agree with you and there is certainly a lot of doping in our upper age groups by folks who have the inclination, money, and connections to do so. I am now in the 55 - 59, and, at least locally, am still in the competitive hunt . . . much more so than the 55 - 59 guys when I was a youngster. However, there is now a fairly large cohort of us who have been around racing for 20, 30, or more years (me, 34). Additionally, folks who didn't have kids as late as me are now empty nesters with more time to focus/train. Lastly, some of these people coming back are former class athletes who have the genetics to ramp up very quickly - they were just otherwise occupied for the last couple of decades.

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Re: Tom Danielson tests positive for testosterone, denies it on Twitter [dogmile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dogmile wrote:
There hasn't been a clean Olympic final heat of the 100m since before steroids. The state of the sport hasn't changed much in 30-40 years, people are just starting to notice now is all.

aw3 wrote:
I don't have anything to add to the Tom Danielson discussion, but the Justin Gatlin situation is a joke.

I'm dreading the Men's 100m Final in Rio, if he gets on the podium (or god forbid wins it) it will just be a slap in the face of everyone watching. What does that say about the state of the sport?!

No people started noticing back around 1976. So then Charlie Francis figured that the only way to compete with the East Germans was to put the Canadian sprinters on the full cocktail, which simultaneously all the US sprinters had figured out.

Just a few excerpts from here:

At the 1984 Summer Olympics in Los Angeles, he reached the 100 m final; after false starting, he won the bronze medal behind Carl Lewis and Sam Graddy with a time of 10.22. He also won a bronze medal with the Canadian 4x100m relay team of Johnson, Tony Sharpe, Desai Williams and Sterling Hinds, who ran a time of 38.70. By the end of the 1984 season, Johnson had established himself as Canada's top sprinter, and on August 22 in Zurich, Switzerland, he bettered Williams' Canadian record of 10.17 by running 10.12.

...By the time of the 1987 World Championships, Johnson had won his four previous races with Lewis and had established himself as the best 100 m sprinter. At Rome, Johnson gained instant world fame and confirmed this status when he beat Lewis for the title, setting a new world record of 9.83 seconds as well, beating Calvin Smith's former record by a full tenth of a second.

....Following Johnson's defeat of Lewis in Rome, Lewis started trying to explain away his defeat. He first claimed that Johnson had false-started, then he alluded to a stomach virus which had weakened him. Finally, without naming names, Lewis said "There are a lot of people coming out of nowhere. I don't think they are doing it without drugs. " This was the start of Lewis' calling on the sport of track and field to be cleaned up in terms of the illegal use of performance-enhancing drugs.

This says it all from 1988....if i recall, Calvin Smith and Robson Da Silva had no doping trail behind them. In any case, its not like people are just noticing. These guys had already noticed what the East Block was doing and stepped it up. That was starting 30 years+ ago. Can a human physically go sub 10 without being doped. Maybe Calvin Smith proved that (barely) in 88. We have a young Canadian kid from USC who may just do that again (ran wind aided 9.7x at NCAA's)

Quote Reply
Re: Tom Danielson tests positive for testosterone, denies it on Twitter [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
logella wrote:
cbre wrote:
Sucks if it's true, I enjoyed chasing Tommy up Mt. Lemmon earlier this year, dude is an doped up animal.

Fixed it for you.

Thanks, I was thinking of edit myself, but you beat me to it.

I want to say, "this has to stop", yet I know it will not and is impractical with so much $ on the line for athletes.

Heck, armatures are doping and they pay for the stuff out of pocket, so there goes my logic. Letts just have an "open" catagory and be done with it.
Quote Reply
Re: Tom Danielson tests positive for testosterone, denies it on Twitter [mfrassica] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mfrassica wrote:
Letts just have an "open" catagory and be done with it.

Might not help. Bodybuilding tried that with the "natural" category. But a lot of bodybuilders claim that a huge % of "natural" bodybuilders are doping....
Quote Reply
Re: Tom Danielson tests positive for testosterone, denies it on Twitter [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
mfrassica wrote:
Letts just have an "open" catagory and be done with it.

Might not help. Bodybuilding tried that with the "natural" category. But a lot of bodybuilders claim that a huge % of "natural" bodybuilders are doping....

yeah, I've never understood the logic of this proposal. People who dope and cheat are doing it to get an advantage on their fellow competitors. Why in the world would they suddenly say "Oh, OK....I'll just compete over here with all the other guys who have been cheating even though I have never been caught."

Doesn't it seem more likely that they would just continue with the behavior as it always has been? Why elect to go compete against others over whom you don't have an advantage?

Quote Reply
Re: Tom Danielson tests positive for testosterone, denies it on Twitter [craigj532] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anybody have the scoop on the testo d13C levels in the A sample?

Maybe it was fallout of all the 4th of July beer binge drinking, or the yeast infection.

Stay tuned....

craigj532 wrote:
So, it looks like Tom D. tested positive for synthetic testosterone in an OOC test from July 9th. He'll have to miss the Tour of Utah while they sort things out.

He also issued a very unequivocal denial on Twitter:

"Tonight has been one of the worst nights of my life. While I was eating dinner with my team the night before Tour of Utah I received a call For USADA notifying me that a out of competition test I gave July 9th has tested positive for, from what I understand, synthetic testosterone. I have not taken this or any other banned substance.
I spoke with them and my team and I will have to sit out the Tour of Utah as I wait for the B sample as well as look into All the possible ways that could have produced this result. I would never ever take anything like this especially after everything I have gone through the last years. This makes absolutely no sense. I will now, as I wait for the B test, have the supplements I take, tested to see if this is what caused it. I feel incredibly hurt, frustrated, and angry by this. I don't understand how or why this happened and still can't even accept this is true. I love cycling. I love it so fucking much. I love the races, the rides, the people, the businesses, I love it all. Nothing compares for me."

Interesting situation. It will be intriguing to see how it all unfolds.
Last edited by: windschatten: Aug 3, 15 15:25
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Power13 wrote:
Ga Tri Coach wrote:
Power13 wrote:
Ga Tri Coach wrote:
Power13 wrote:
Ga Tri Coach wrote:

Not the same.

LOL yourself.

Still missing the point completely.....

moving on.

I got your point.

Bye now.

---------------------

Last edited by: Ga Tri Coach: Aug 3, 15 16:13
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wait, what? My communication skills are "poor" but you got my point.

Hmmm...more poor logic.

Anyone else find it disturbing that an apparent tri coach is taking such a stance re: the use of T by Age Groupers?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Power13 wrote:
Wait, what? My communication skills are "poor" but you got my point.

Hmmm...more poor logic.

Anyone else find it disturbing that an apparent tri coach is taking such a stance re: the use of T by Age Groupers?

Oh, ok, a personal attack.

Hope it makes you feel better. Especially since you didn't get my point.

---------------------

Quote Reply

Prev Next