Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Tom Danielson tests positive for testosterone, denies it on Twitter [aw3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
aw3 wrote:
I'm dreading the Men's 100m Final in Rio, if he gets on the podium (or god forbid wins it) it will just be a slap in the face of everyone watching. What does that say about the state of the sport?!

This is called doing a 'Vino'
Quote Reply
Re: Tom Danielson tests positive for testosterone, denies it on Twitter [craigj532] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
craigj532 wrote:
So, it looks like Tom D. tested positive for synthetic testosterone in an OOC test from July 9th. He'll have to miss the Tour of Utah while they sort things out.

He also issued a very unequivocal denial on Twitter:

"Tonight has been one of the worst nights of my life. While I was eating dinner with my team the night before Tour of Utah I received a call For USADA notifying me that a out of competition test I gave July 9th has tested positive for, from what I understand, synthetic testosterone. I have not taken this or any other banned substance.
I spoke with them and my team and I will have to sit out the Tour of Utah as I wait for the B sample as well as look into All the possible ways that could have produced this result. I would never ever take anything like this especially after everything I have gone through the last years. This makes absolutely no sense. I will now, as I wait for the B test, have the supplements I take, tested to see if this is what caused it. I feel incredibly hurt, frustrated, and angry by this. I don't understand how or why this happened and still can't even accept this is true. I love cycling. I love it so fucking much. I love the races, the rides, the people, the businesses, I love it all. Nothing compares for me."

Interesting situation. It will be intriguing to see how it all unfolds.

Aren't you limited to 140 characters on twitter? How could he type such a long response?
Quote Reply
Re: Tom Danielson tests positive for testosterone, denies it on Twitter [Salmon Steve] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Urgh, don't remind me.

I'm from London so that win felt all the more offensive.
Quote Reply
Re: Tom Danielson tests positive for testosterone, denies it on Twitter [cartsman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cartsman wrote:
I thought the final version of that story was that Floyd was doing blood bags during the TdF, not testosterone, but that his doctor cocked up and gave him a blood bag which had been extracted during a training camp in which he was dosed up on testosterone as well? So he got the double whammy of a load of fresh blood AND a big dose of testosterone. Which would certainly go some way towards explaining his performance that day!

Floyd had him amazing day because he kept dumping water bottles on himself. Everyone now knows that dumping water on yourself is a proven performance enhancer.....
Quote Reply
Re: Tom Danielson tests positive for testosterone, denies it on Twitter [Salmon Steve] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Salmon Steve wrote:
aw3 wrote:

I'm dreading the Men's 100m Final in Rio, if he gets on the podium (or god forbid wins it) it will just be a slap in the face of everyone watching. What does that say about the state of the sport?!

This is called doing a 'Vino'

Vino went out a winner!
Quote Reply
Re: Tom Danielson tests positive for testosterone, denies it on Twitter [aw3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The whole Cannondale-Garmin team has pulled out of the race. While it might seem like a good PR move to JV, this further damages the Tour of Utah.

For the commen above, TD posted his message using multiple tweets.
Quote Reply
Re: Tom Danielson tests positive for testosterone, denies it on Twitter [johnnybefit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
johnnybefit wrote:
cartsman wrote:
I thought the final version of that story was that Floyd was doing blood bags during the TdF, not testosterone, but that his doctor cocked up and gave him a blood bag which had been extracted during a training camp in which he was dosed up on testosterone as well? So he got the double whammy of a load of fresh blood AND a big dose of testosterone. Which would certainly go some way towards explaining his performance that day!

Floyd had him amazing day because he kept dumping water bottles on himself. Everyone now knows that dumping water on yourself is a proven performance enhancer.....

OK, complete sidetrack on the TD discussion, but I said from day one that this was an overlooked reason that helped Flandis stay away.

No, not the actual dumping of water, but the continual calling up of the team car to get more bottles, etc. Each bottle was a "sticky bottle", which in essence was the same as having a guy to draft behind for a brief moment. It was like having a teammate to help him.

He clearly couldn't have consumed that much water, so they came up with the idea of dumping it over him, whcih allowed him to keep getting more bottles. It really was a brilliant strategy.

(an no, I am not saying that is the only reason Flandis stayed away....just that it definitely helped him manage his energy that day)

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: Tom Danielson tests positive for testosterone, denies it on Twitter [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Power13 wrote:
johnnybefit wrote:
cartsman wrote:

OK, complete sidetrack on the TD discussion, but I said from day one that this was an overlooked reason that helped Flandis stay away.

No, not the actual dumping of water, but the continual calling up of the team car to get more bottles, etc. Each bottle was a "sticky bottle", which in essence was the same as having a guy to draft behind for a brief moment. It was like having a teammate to help him.

He clearly couldn't have consumed that much water, so they came up with the idea of dumping it over him, whcih allowed him to keep getting more bottles. It really was a brilliant strategy.

(an no, I am not saying that is the only reason Flandis stayed away....just that it definitely helped him manage his energy that day)

Spot on Power13 - he got the "push" each time he got a bottle.
Quote Reply
Re: Tom Danielson tests positive for testosterone, denies it on Twitter [Arch Stanton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Arch Stanton wrote:
Nope. Landis still adamantly denies using testosterone during that Tour.

Somehow, not sure why, I trust today's Landis way way over the still rotten-to-the-core UCsillyI.

Not sure who paid off who, but something smells to high heaven with his effed-up "tests".

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: Tom Danielson tests positive for testosterone, denies it on Twitter [Arch Stanton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Arch Stanton wrote:
The whole Cannondale-Garmin team has pulled out of the race. While it might seem like a good PR move to JV, this further damages the Tour of Utah.

Link?

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: Tom Danielson tests positive for testosterone, denies it on Twitter [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Power13 wrote:
Arch Stanton wrote:

Link?

It was a Neal Rogers tweet. He was incorrect and has since corrected it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Power13 wrote:
johnnybefit wrote:
cartsman wrote:

not saying that the sticky bottle didn't help, but cold water really helps on a hot day.

i remember doing my first cat 3 race with two ice socks down my back, and it must have looked ridiculous. The race was only 45 min, and it was in the high 80s with heat index in the mid 90s. I felt surprisingly fresh the whole race and ended up breaking away from quite a few riders with a better resume and got 2nd.

People often talk about losing watts in the summer heat, but i've found a properly soaked cold jersey + ice sock means no loss in power.
Quote Reply
Re: Tom Danielson tests positive for testosterone, denies it on Twitter [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
i like danielson's wikipedia page:

Born in East Lyme, Connecticut, Danielson currently resides in Boulder, Colorado, with his wife, Stephanie, and their children, Steven (b. 2010) and Stella (b. 2012).[2][35][36] After spending his childhood years in Connecticut, Danielson attended Fort Lewis College in Durango, Colorado.[36] Danielson considers both Boulder and Durango as his home towns. In addition to being married, Danielson has a girlfriend named Kourtney Compton, whom he met in Utah where she was working as a podium girl at the Tour of Utah.[36] It also appears he has doped... again.

Wait.... I'm having a hard time processing this. That's on the dude's wikipedia page?
Quote Reply
Re: Tom Danielson tests positive for testosterone, denies it on Twitter [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The bit about the girlfriend was there when I last looked. Not the bit about doping. I took a screen shot!
Quote Reply
Re: Tom Danielson tests positive for testosterone, denies it on Twitter [craigj532] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Another cyclist doping. Why am I not surprised.
Quote Reply
Re: Tom Danielson tests positive for testosterone, denies it on Twitter [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:

not saying that the sticky bottle didn't help, but cold water really helps on a hot day.

i remember doing my first cat 3 race with two ice socks down my back, and it must have looked ridiculous. The race was only 45 min, and it was in the high 80s with heat index in the mid 90s. I felt surprisingly fresh the whole race and ended up breaking away from quite a few riders with a better resume and got 2nd.

People often talk about losing watts in the summer heat, but i've found a properly soaked cold jersey + ice sock means no loss in power.

What is an ice sock?
Quote Reply
Re: Tom Danielson tests positive for testosterone, denies it on Twitter [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i just copied and pasted.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Tom Danielson tests positive for testosterone, denies it on Twitter [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you can see the previous versions of a Wiki page if you click on the "history" link. It will also show you exactly how long the revision lasted. That particular sentence was up for a whopping 34 minutes.
Quote Reply
Re: Tom Danielson tests positive for testosterone, denies it on Twitter [gmt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
which sentence, the girlfriend one or the doping one?

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
@Slowman The doping one. I think the girlfriend one is current.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

It's quite interesting how 'doping' as a topic of discussion has become quite normal and almost 'every day' Dan? I'm thinking, we've got threads like the ITU discussion thread where people go to specifically talk all things ITU. Is it getting to the stage we need a Doping thread? I don't mean that to suggest to stop these types of threads as they'll always happen - and I see no reason why they shouldn't to be honest. But I wonder if a PED thread may serve to both give us an opportunity to openly discuss/debate the whys and wheres etc, but also be quite a good resource? Realise it could potentially be a nightmare to moderate, would just need to state rules at the outset, kinda like your 'about this forum' thread.

Just a thought....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So, will the Team end, if the B sample comes back positive? From an article several weeks ago in the NY Times.

http://www.nytimes.com/...were-clean.html?_r=3

U.S. Cyclists Fight to Spread Their Message: We’re Clean

Shortly after retiring, Vaughters launched a developmental cycling squad dedicated to ethical competition. That team has since evolved into Cannondale-Garmin. Early on, the team implemented a stringent doping policy that remains today. If a rider is caught doping, the whole team will be fired.
Quote Reply
Re: Tom Danielson tests positive for testosterone, denies it on Twitter [johnnybefit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
johnnybefit wrote:
echappist wrote:

What is an ice sock?

get a pair of pantyhose and cut off the top. Fill a leg of the pantyhose with ice down and then tie it shut. Stuff said sock down your back for cooling. Also helps to have something close to your chest as well to cool the front of your torso.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Salmon Steve wrote:

It's quite interesting how 'doping' as a topic of discussion has become quite normal and almost 'every day' Dan? I'm thinking, we've got threads like the ITU discussion thread where people go to specifically talk all things ITU. Is it getting to the stage we need a Doping thread? I don't mean that to suggest to stop these types of threads as they'll always happen - and I see no reason why they shouldn't to be honest. But I wonder if a PED thread may serve to both give us an opportunity to openly discuss/debate the whys and wheres etc, but also be quite a good resource? Realise it could potentially be a nightmare to moderate, would just need to state rules at the outset, kinda like your 'about this forum' thread.

Just a thought....

You'd need a full PED forum given the actual use of it in sports...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yeah, i'm ambivalent about that. i get your point.

i'm also waiting for the other shoe to drop in triathlon. i was thinking just over the weekend about how the PTU came down hard on dirk for his tweet about asking lance for help with the union. triathlon's pros are, as a group, very very very anti-doping in their comments. anti-doping, and very anti-readmission of past dopers. consider that TD was a welcomed part of an very anti-doping team, while former dopers would not be allowed entry into most triathlon teams.

that's good. but then i juxtapose this with comments from coaches and others who suspect drug use among pros in triathlon and i wonder whether this sport has a lot of athletes talking the tough talk but who are doping themselves.

i'm wondering what the PTU is going to advocate for in terms of doping. will they ask for 1-strike-you're-out rule? you get kicked out of the union with 1-strike, and if it's a challenge race you can't race unless you're part of the union? that means an effective 1-strike law.

i wouldn't mind a thread on that.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply

Prev Next