Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The Official Ask Me Any Questions About IMC Thread [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. So, just calories on the course and special needs?

Great looking suit ;-)

Gary
Quote Reply
Re: The Official Ask Me Any Questions About IMC Thread [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One little inside story about Jordan's race suit. He did not race with the suit we had designed specifically for this race. We picked the wrong shipping company and by Friday before the race, it was clear the suit would not make it on time. We were pretty upset.
On the other hand, Jordan took it in stride with a "if this is the worst thing happening to me this week-end, I take it!". He ended up using one of his older suit and taking it to a local print shop to add his new sponsors' logos.
Around 6 pm on Saturday, at a time when most athletes are chilling off, relaxing and concentrating, Jordan sents me a phone picture with his revamped suit and a big smile on his face.
When any top athlete who invested so much time to be super ready in time, hits a snag that late and reacts with such calm, it has to be a great sign. Mental strength is also necessary to win big races.

Thanks Jordan for being such a gentleman!

Kiwami North America
http://www.kiwamitri.com
http://www.aquamantri.com
contact@kiwamitri.com
http://www.facebook/kiwamitriusa
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"I still think we should have stayed at Treasure Island, but I'm committed to the experience of staying the Imperial, which I'm pretty sure is in no way, shape, or form "imperial." It's above a Denny's! "

So you will wake up and fall asleep to the smell of bacon. You will either get some much needed rest or grow a bacon belly. :)

56-11...the only way to fly
Last edited by: runboorun: Sep 4, 09 7:50
Quote Reply
Re: The Official Ask Me Any Questions About IMC Thread [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Thanks. So, just calories on the course and special needs?

Great looking suit ;-)

Gary
Well I have that gel flask of EFS liquid shot, but I didn't feel I needed it on the run. I took in a bit too many calories on the bike, so my stomach was a bit unsettled, and I've found that gels can make that worse. So just liquid calories from the course, though normally I would aim to have 200-400 calories from my gel flask during the run.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the info, Jordan. i'm trying to decide between my Kaiman and the Amphibian. You and Andre have me convinced that sometimes we carry way too much crap that we can get on the course, and not have the inconvenience of a belt of junk falling from pockets. Thanks for the help, and now savor the delights of the last race.

Gary

Gary Geiger
http://www.geigerphoto.com Professional photographer

TEAM KiWAMi NORTH AMERICA http://www.kiwamitri.com, Rudy Project http://www.rudyprojectusa.com, GU https://guenergy.com/shop/ ; Salming World Ambassador; https://www.shopsalming.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats of your awesome planning, preparation and execution.
So you use 172.5 cranks; what is your leg length?

Last, will you fit me?

-
[pink]I don’t use pink font[/pink]
Quote Reply
Re: The Official Ask Me Any Questions About IMC Thread [Andre Bennatan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Seems to me that this was no big deal because Rappstar appears to be a PROFESSIONAL athlete versus just a Pro. I know in the ski industry there is a huge difference between the two. One is a contributor and helps to grow the sport and the other is just looking to make a buck or two. By all account Jordan is decidedly in the former category.

Nice race man!!!

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Quote Reply
Re: The Official Ask Me Any Questions About IMC Thread [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What's your race schedule look like? You can shoot Andre / Olivier / and-or I an email. But I would say if you are really stuck, go with the Trinergy which has one small zip-up pocket in the back. It doesn't have the super lightweight material of the Amphibian, but it does have a small pocket and a nice pad. I think it strikes a nice balance. That being said, I think there are loads of good ways to carry the few things you might need if you decide to get an Amphibian.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: The Official Ask Me Any Questions About IMC Thread [Trirunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Congrats of your awesome planning, preparation and execution.
So you use 172.5 cranks; what is your leg length?

Last, will you fit me?

Leg length is a shade over 37" (can't remember what that is in CM).

Yes, where do you live? I do fits ~year round at any of the FIST workshops - which I'd encourage any triathlete whose interested to take. It'll be the most expensive fit you'll ever get, but of course you'll actually learn the hows and whys. Everyone we have who comes out just to get fit by Dan (or myself in rare cases) really enjoys the process. If you want a fit at some other time, just shoot me an email (email is in my profile - I try not to write it too much on the forum to keep the spam down from crawlers).

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
What's your race schedule look like? You can shoot Andre / Olivier / and-or I an email. But I would say if you are really stuck, go with the Trinergy which has one small zip-up pocket in the back. It doesn't have the super lightweight material of the Amphibian, but it does have a small pocket and a nice pad. I think it strikes a nice balance. That being said, I think there are loads of good ways to carry the few things you might need if you decide to get an Amphibian.

Thanks Jordan. I'm doing Ironman races, and Andre's already hooked me up with Amphibian and Kaiman. I love the Kiwami stuff so much I can't decide, and have always used a 2 piece for IM, but may change this year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First off, Congrats on a great race!! The insight you are providing to us AGers is awsome, it shows just how dedicated and hard working professional athletes are.

I am wondering about the nutrition thing again, you mention using Rice bread and milk, aswell as Almond milk, is there a reason you choose these alternatives as opposed to the soy options??? Appreciate the time, and all the best in your future racing.

Jason
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Jordan,

First of all Congrats on your win.

You said earlier that you train 25 hour per week. Do you have a day job or you just train full time?

Thanks!

Carlos
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Jordan,

Congrats from a long time fan...we had the whole family cheering at the computer for you last Sunday.

I am interested in your shoe insert sponsor - do use them for running? Insights appreciated.

Thanks,
david

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What level of smoothing do you have your PT CPU set to when racing?
Quote Reply
Re: The Official Ask Me Any Questions About IMC Thread [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Hi Jordan,

Congrats from a long time fan...we had the whole family cheering at the computer for you last Sunday.

I am interested in your shoe insert sponsor - do use them for running? Insights appreciated.

Thanks,
david
No, I only use them for cycling. eSoles makes running inserts but many of the shoes I use don't take inserts, so I've never had them make me any running ones. Also toebox volume can be more of an issue with racing flats, so you can't double up over the insole if it's glued in. They are working on a prototype that some of their pure running athletes are testing that I might use - it's a lightweight insert designed for racing flats, but it wasn't yet ready when I spoke to them last.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats! Great win and great thread.

Two questions:
1) Did you have sex the night before the race? Do you find that this helps or hurts before the race?
2) What do you find to be the best for recovery to get your legs back?

As for #1, I am serious. Would be great to tell my wife, "we have to".

In Reply To:
Hey Jordan,

First of all Congrats on your win.

You said earlier that you train 25 hour per week. Do you have a day job or you just train full time?

Thanks!

Carlos
Triathlon is my "day" job. I work for Slowtwitch as CTO managing the back-end of the site (i.e., I make sure the forum runs, etc.) and also teach the FIST workshops with Dan. So Slowtwitch is my "day job," though I usually work on it at night.

Quote Reply
Re: The Official Ask Me Any Questions About IMC Thread [IronRN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
First off, Congrats on a great race!! The insight you are providing to us AGers is awsome, it shows just how dedicated and hard working professional athletes are.

I am wondering about the nutrition thing again, you mention using Rice bread and milk, aswell as Almond milk, is there a reason you choose these alternatives as opposed to the soy options??? Appreciate the time, and all the best in your future racing.

Jason
Soy is sort of the new wheat. Once people got the idea that soy was healthy, they started putting it in everything. It's now heavily processed, used as a filler, and is suffering from all the same problems as wheat. I.e., there are plenty of people - especially vegetarians - who have soy at every meal. Having a bit of tofu here and there is okay, but soy burgers, soy "meat," etc is just processed crap.

But, let's say it's not overly processed and they are not GMO soybeans, there is still evidence to suggest that soy is not ideal to take in large quantities. There is a lot of information on the hormone precursors/mimics in soy. Basically, there is an ingredient in soy protein that is a mimic of estrogen. So it can mess with your hormones. Google "soy estrogen" (not in quotes) and you'll get a ton more information than what I've given her.

Almond, rice, and hemp milk all are much safer alternatives. Almond tastes the best among these, and the fat in almonds is very healthy so it's a sound alternative.

Quote Reply
Re: The Official Ask Me Any Questions About IMC Thread [sentania] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
What level of smoothing do you have your PT CPU set to when racing?
5 seconds. I always used to use 1second, but then someone suggested I change, and I just gave 5 a try and liked it so much better than 1 that I stuck with it. 5 seems to be pretty accepted, though I know some folks use 15sec or even more. 5 works well for me, but sometimes seems a bit sluggish, so I don't think I'd want to go longer. I might try 3 and see what I think of that.

Quote Reply
Re: The Official Ask Me Any Questions About IMC Thread [shackmantri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Congrats! Great win and great thread.

Two questions:
1) Did you have sex the night before the race? Do you find that this helps or hurts before the race?
2) What do you find to be the best for recovery to get your legs back?

As for #1, I am serious. Would be great to tell my wife, "we have to".
1) No, but I don't think it makes a difference. I believe Tim and Nicole DeBoom were asked this same question and Tim's answer was "yes" (and I think sort of an implied "yes, always") and he certainly has a more impressive resume than I do, so you can use Tim as support for "we have to!" ;)

2) ice baths & healthy food are the two best things for bringing you back around. Massage as well, but you should wait a bit before getting massage.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks - i asked because I think SRM is 5, and given that you switched from SRM to PT, I wondered what you would chose.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What percentage of the time were you aero vs. up on the base bar?
Quote Reply
Re: The Official Ask Me Any Questions About IMC Thread [jeffyj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: The Official Ask Me Any Questions About IMC Thread [jeffyj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
What percentage of the time were you aero vs. up on the base bar?
McLean Creek Rd climb (the steep pitch), two sections of climbing on Richter, and about 50% of the Yellow Lake climb (the steep bits), retrieving special needs, and some corners. I was down in the aerobars up most of the rollers, but I think there are one or two where I might have come out of the bars just before the top. I climb in sort of a crouch position to keep my hip angle closed enough. Still quite low, but it just seems to relieve a bit of crotch pressure when the road tilts up. This is probably the course when I spend more time out of the aerobars of any race that I would do. I was probably out of the aerobars for like 20-25minutes, as compared with probably about 2-2.5minutes for a course like IMAZ. Basically if I am in the small chainring, I'm willing to get up off the bars, and those are probably the only places where I was ever in the small chainring. I'm sure there are a couple of other times when I just wanted to hop up for 5-10sec to stretch every 45min or so if I'd gone that long without a break.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply

Prev Next