Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The Official Ask Me Any Questions About IMC Thread [sentania] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nevermind - i reread some early posts and found my answer.

congrats still.
Quote Reply
Re: The Official Ask Me Any Questions About IMC Thread [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When did you begin tapering? Did you have much of a reduction?

Congrats on a huge day!

Free Training Plans and Canvases: abetteranimal.com (IG: @abetteranimal )
Home Cooking: culaccinokitchen.com (IG: culaccinokitchen )
Zurich, Switzerland
Quote Reply
Re: The Official Ask Me Any Questions About IMC Thread [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Serious question:

Did you see the Ogopogo?

"I really wish you would post more often. You always have some good stuff to say. I copied it below just in case someone missed it." BarryP to Chainpin on 10/21/06

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
First off, thanks for all the nice words from the Slowtwitch crowd. Anyway, if you all have any questions about the race, I'll do my best to answer them.

EDIT: I don't know any power data YET, other than from "in the race" checking of the computer and targets.

Hey Jordan, Congrats!

What was the post race meal(s) like, and how many alcoholic beverages did you drink, if any at all? What time did you stay up until? It must have been difficult to sleep on the emotion and caffeine!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jordan- Awesome race!

Can you tell us about your nutrition leading up to the race, not day of, but race week and a couple of weeks out? When did you begin your taper, and how did your nutrition differ during taper period versus regular training?

I'm just curious what a pro will eat on a normal training day, and then how that might change as you get closer to a race.

Thx

http://jmassieblog.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
that reminds me of a punchline to a joke I heard....

And so the pirate captain, seeing the horde of war vessels approaching his ship, says to his cabin boy "Cabin Boy, bring me my brown pants!"

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrads, very impressive!!

Dave

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe this is too much to ask, but: What was your typical training week 12 months ago, and 1 month ago?

Graham

Graham Barron Design: Custom west coast house design http://www.grahambarron.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You came around 11pm to watch the last finishers, that was really cool.
Then you started dancing around 11.45pm...Are you planning to take dance lessons? Will you be at so you think you can dance next season?

Great job btw (not for the dancing).
Quote Reply
Re: The Official Ask Me Any Questions About IMC Thread [rhet0ric] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Maybe this is too much to ask, but: What was your typical training week 12 months ago, and 1 month ago?

Graham
12 months ago and one month ago were pretty different. 12 months, I was training with the gang in Victoria, gearing up for the Olympics, so I was doing all short course stuff.

1 month ago, it was basically focused around good quality long rides, one long run, and a couple fast transition runs.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: The Official Ask Me Any Questions About IMC Thread [ATL Dad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Jordan- Awesome race!

Can you tell us about your nutrition leading up to the race, not day of, but race week and a couple of weeks out? When did you begin your taper, and how did your nutrition differ during taper period versus regular training?

I'm just curious what a pro will eat on a normal training day, and then how that might change as you get closer to a race.

Thx
Normal nutrition, in the sense that I ate pretty much what I'd eat during a normal week of training. I cook pretty much every night, and I continued that. 2 week taper.

A normal nutrition day for me is:
Vega shake & panda puffs cereal for breakfast
Eggs & bacon for second breakfast
Almond butter & jelly (local peach or apricot) on rice bread for lunch
Vega Vibrance Bar or Lara bar for snack
Complete dinner - meat // carb - usually rice or quinoa or potatoes // vegetables

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: The Official Ask Me Any Questions About IMC Thread [art_k82] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
First off, thanks for all the nice words from the Slowtwitch crowd. Anyway, if you all have any questions about the race, I'll do my best to answer them.

EDIT: I don't know any power data YET, other than from "in the race" checking of the computer and targets.

Hey Jordan, Congrats!

What was the post race meal(s) like, and how many alcoholic beverages did you drink, if any at all? What time did you stay up until? It must have been difficult to sleep on the emotion and caffeine!
I wasn't very hungry after the race. Stomachs do not like a full day of liquid calories. I had some dry roasted ribs, a bowl of soup, and a salad. Then I had a wrap with some chicken, beef, onions, salsa, cheese, sour creme later in the evening. We split a bottle of wine among five of us. I had maybe 2 glasses. It was good.

I didn't sleep too much. My legs hurt. And my feet. I will probably sleep this afternoon. And tonight.

Quote Reply
Re: The Official Ask Me Any Questions About IMC Thread [chainpin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Serious question:

Did you see the Ogopogo?
Ogopogo lives in Okanagan lake, and he doesn't like so many swimmers. Your best bet to see him is to run the KVR on the east side of the lake and look down. It's very hard to see him otherwise.

Quote Reply
Re: The Official Ask Me Any Questions About IMC Thread [Scott Herrick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
When did you begin tapering? Did you have much of a reduction?

Congrats on a huge day!
2 weeks. And for me, I do a BIG taper. Depends on the athlete. But I seem to race well of a pretty huge reduction.

Quote Reply
Re: The Official Ask Me Any Questions About IMC Thread [Pantelones] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Big kudos on a great performance and win!

What form of reward are you going to give/allow yourself for this win? What is your recovery plan?
I will take ice baths. I will do ART and massage later in the week when I am less sore. Eat lots of good food.

Reward? Maybe some more bacon!

I'd actually like to maybe get one of those little "netbook" laptops, so when I am on the road I can carry something light for email & Slowtwitch! I'm undecided. Something small.

Quote Reply
Re: The Official Ask Me Any Questions About IMC Thread [CaptainCanada] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Congratulations on an awesome, well executed race plan. Clearly you had a plan and stuck to it. Very impressive.

Question: How do you think your win will affect your search for a bike sponsor for next season? Does this win give you extra negotiating power or draw?

Also, why IMAZ and not Hawaii? Better shot at win #2?
Hawaii is so close. I'm a planner, I guess. I never planned to do Hawaii. I like the race in AZ a lot. I'd like to try and win it after being so close twice.

I hope it is a positive. I'm shooting to have a deal signed by Interbike, so we'll see. Ultimately, I don't think winning a race actually makes me any more credible than before. I think I'm still mot valuable because I think, I know about bike fit, and I have a background in engineering. Crossing a finish line first doesn't influence any of that, but I don't think it hurts either. ;)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Whoa... transition runs, also known as the dreaded brick! Blasphemy!

You obviously missed this thread to adjust your training accordingly.

Because, even if you WIN the race... you could/should have gone faster if you just listened to everyone's advice on ST: "Bricks are bad".

Quote Reply
Re: The Official Ask Me Any Questions About IMC Thread [Tribato] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
first off, KUDOS to you jordan! many people can procure a pro license, but you've done something that few ever will...get PAID!!!

secondly, i know at FISTapolooza there was discussion about how john wanted to see you on shorter cranks and you said that you were considering it. so what size cranks are you on now and do you think that since you have an overall win under your belt that this is an area that you feel compelled to experiment with?

awesome job! negative splitting a sub 3:00 marathon run is most impressive!
172.5. I've been on them all year (every race I've done has been on 172.5). It was a very good change. We'll see if I let him convince me to go to 170s, although Zipp might get tired of sending me $1000+ cranksets all the time because I like to experiment. :)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats on a great race. I think it's awesome that you're answering all these questions. I'd be interested in the power numbers when you have them (and if you want to share) but for now I'm wondering if you're still on the Felt?. Based on your previous post though I see that might change.....

------------------------------------------------------------
Searching for the bliss of ultimate exertion.
Quote Reply
Re: The Official Ask Me Any Questions About IMC Thread [daveinmammoth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Congrats on the win! Thats huge.

My questions: You obviously pay attention a lot to the details so how many watts does it take you to go 20 mph vs. 24 mph on your race set-up? Assume its flat, sea level, and 0 wind....

Height? Weight?

What helmet is that?

Thanks,

David Bassler
I don't know. I try not to ever ride as slow as 20mph. ;) Really, I couldn't tell because it's ALWAYS windy here. ALWAYS. And even more than that, I don't race with a speedometer. My computer is set up to show Power // Cadence // Time. I don't actually ever know how fast I'm going. I only know that if I'm in 53/11, and it takes more than 100rpm to hit my target watts, it's time to coast.

191cm (6'3") // 154-155lbs (70kg)

Specialized TT02.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What was your dinner night before?
What is your race day breakfast?
Do you sleep well the night before and the few nights before IM events?
Do you anticiapte a bike sponsor soon?
Are you going to Kona?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
with your typical day of food - all the rice bread, quinoa - are you gluten intolerant? (I am asking, why rice bread rather than "normal" bread)

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: The Official Ask Me Any Questions About IMC Thread [bryan913] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Congrats on destroying the field yesterday. We crossed paths on the run...mile 16 for you, 10 for me. I gave you a shoutout, too, not that you probably even heard it!

My questions for you are...
Did you notice any drafting up in the pro ranks? Where I was riding on the course, it was like the Tour de Canada out there with the draft marshalls just telling people to break it up. I didn't see anyone in the penalty tents.
I was surprised by the amount of wind out there, did you expect that? How much of an "advantage" do you feel you had by being able to train on this course so much?

Again, congrats. And thank you for taking the time to answer all these questions.
- it's tough to say, because I don't consider it drafting as much as pace making. Of course, sometimes I think people get too close. But I think a lot of that is that you want to "stay in the race." It's the nature of pro racing. People are competitive. Plus, you don't really see people that much on this course being one big loop. The marshals were around a lot, so that makes me feel good. They have to strike a balance of letting us race and enforcing the rules. I think they do a good job, though I was a bit disappointed to see them give a few warnings, which they said they would not do. Pros should know the rules. There shouldn't be warnings. That's my opinion, but I respect the job that the officials have to do. It's a terrible position to be in, and overall, they did a great job.

- yes, I expected the wind. That wasn't even close to the windiest day I've had back in the Similkameen. I had an advantage only in that I knew what to expect. That being said, I think if you abide by your race plan - whatever it is - then you can race pretty much every Ironman the same way. There are just not too many ways to ride 180km when you have to run a marathon afterwards.

Quote Reply
Re: The Official Ask Me Any Questions About IMC Thread [CamDukio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
Pacing from the front is always easier. That's why it's good to be first to t2! :)

Jordan - firstly congratulations. that was an awesome race.

Secondly - Why do you think pacing from the front is always easier?
People have to do something to catch you. You dictate the race. It's harder to pace from the front if you don't actually have a lead - i.e. leading a pack is hard, like in ITU racing where you have six or eight guys all running together and someone is setting the pace that everyone is running. But having a lead is easier, because ultimately, you know that if you run the same speed as everyone else, you will win. That means that someone has to run FASTER than you to win (assuming you are leading on the run). That's just me. Some people like to chase.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your thread about nutrition for IMAZ was immensely helpful to me to me in my first ironman this past July. I tested out a couple of the things you used (as well as your approach for using them) in my own training and used several of them for the race. Worked perfectly.

My question is: What did you do differently in your training (and on race day/weekend) for IMC than you did for IMAZ? Which (if any) of those changes helped and which (if any) did not help or even possibly hurt?
Quote Reply

Prev Next