Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The Official Ask Me Any Questions About IMC Thread [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
What percentage of the time were you aero vs. up on the base bar?

rappstar has never felt his basebar
I felt great shame, but I actually put bartape on the pursuits for this race because I knew that I'd be most comfortable doing some of the longer climbs out of the aerobars...

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: The Official Ask Me Any Questions About IMC Thread [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What do you have under the saddle other than Hutchinson Air?
Quote Reply
Re: The Official Ask Me Any Questions About IMC Thread [swimfan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hutchinson Fast Air attached to Silca 2.5 Disc Adapter
Genuine Innovations Microflate premounted (and taped on), but not puncturing, a 16g CO2.
Additional 16g CO2
Topeak Mini6 (or Mini5?) multitool
Olfa Silver Razor Blade
Tufo S3 Lite Tubular with spare 808 valve extender
Small roll of electrical tape to remount spares bag

The FastAir and Microflate+CO2 were mounted underneath the plastic bag, since I figured that in case of a flat, these were the things I'd need first. I'd only need the stuff in the bag in case of a really bad situation.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: The Official Ask Me Any Questions About IMC Thread [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
do you know what PSI the hutchinson inflates to?

Did you intend to top off with a small shot of CO2? immediately, later, never?
Quote Reply
Re: The Official Ask Me Any Questions About IMC Thread [sentania] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

I don't ever assume that sealants will pressurize to anything useful. If they seal right away, then they can, but generally, it is my plan to use a CO2 in addition to any sealant immediately.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
not a good idea, the high pressure CO2 could break the seal and reopen the hole

In Reply To:
In Reply To:

I don't ever assume that sealants will pressurize to anything useful. If they seal right away, then they can, but generally, it is my plan to use a CO2 in addition to any sealant immediately.
Quote Reply
Re: The Official Ask Me Any Questions About IMC Thread [alvaro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
that's what I've assumed as well but have found (thru a tad bit of trial and error) a way around it.

Seal the hole with the pit stop then immediately start riding again (after making sure you obviously have a sealed hole) then stop a minute or two down the road now that the sealant has had time to set and top off with the CO2. I've found this to not blow out the still settling and hardening pit stop sludge inside the tube.

36 kona qualifiers 2006-'23 - 3 Kona Podiums - 4 OA IM AG wins - 5 IM AG wins - 18 70.3 AG wins
I ka nana no a 'ike -- by observing, one learns | Kulia i ka nu'u -- strive for excellence
Garmin Glycogen Use App | Garmin Fat Use App
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Okay enough of my stupid questions. Hah and you said there were no stupid questions. LOL What was your taper and diet like before IMC. Sorry if it had been asked b4

Re: The Official Ask Me Any Questions About IMC Thread [MarkyV] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FYI - This is a review of Pitstop from Bikesport. I am assuming they are all similar.

Injecting the sealant and propellant into your flat tire on the road adds about 15 grams of weight to the tire. We inflated a tire with Vittoria Pit Stop and the tire went to about 95 psi for a 700 X 23c sized tire. The tire held the tire pressure for about 18 hours. Since the pressurized gas that is used to inflate the tire is propane it somehow seems to dissipate rather quickly, more so than normal compressed air from a tire pump or even CO2. That means you need to re-inflate your tire with normal air after uisng Vittoria Pit Stop. The seal on the hole lated indefinately though and seemed to be a permanent fix if the hole is small.
Quote Reply
Re: The Official Ask Me Any Questions About IMC Thread [bmanners] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Okay enough of my stupid questions. Hah and you said there were no stupid questions. LOL What was your taper and diet like before IMC. Sorry if it had been asked b4
Diet was same as normal. There was a bunch of stuff in here on what I eat, but that's not really a question I can answer in detail. I guess I'd sum it up with a slight modifcation of Pollan, "Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants. And some bacon." Food = real food. That is, a carrot is real food. Carrot cake is not. That's an extreme example. But I don't eat anything different before a race than I would before a big day of training. And no real difference in my day to day than what I ate a month or two months prior.

For taper, I don't really discuss to much of the details of training, for reasons I alluded to before. Basically the training plan is my coaches responsibility (and "property"), not mine.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jordan congrats on your win in Penticton ! Solid effort I was informed :)

I raced as well , making it my first race in Canada. Some bad calf cramps/locking in the swim , made for a gentle bike and cautious run. Content with finishing thoiugh.

Back to the thread. You are an evident supporter of FIST , understandably so. What is your views/comparison to RETUL.

Thanks in advance and again congrats on your victory !

Terry

"You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream" - Les Brown
"Discipline is the bridge between goals and accomplishment" - Jim Rohn
Quote Reply
Re: The Official Ask Me Any Questions About IMC Thread [canuck8] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Jordan congrats on your win in Penticton ! Solid effort I was informed :)

I raced as well , making it my first race in Canada. Some bad calf cramps/locking in the swim , made for a gentle bike and cautious run. Content with finishing thoiugh.

Back to the thread. You are an evident supporter of FIST , understandably so. What is your views/comparison to RETUL.

Thanks in advance and again congrats on your victory !

Terry
RETUL is a tool. FIST is a methodology. All Retul does is measure body angles. It doesn't actually tell you anything about what those angles *should* be. Now, of course, the people at Retul have some opinion about what they should be, but those views are independent of what a Retul actually is - a motion capture device for dynamically measuring body angles.

Dan put it most eloquently. FIST is like a recipe for baking an apple pie. It tells you the ingredients you need, how much of each, etc. Retul would simply be the equivalent of a VERY accurate measuring cup or kitchen scale. Without a methodology - a recipe, if you will - it is useless. I.e., you can indeed bake "Dan Empfield's Ye Olde Time Apple Pie," but you probably won't bake "Measuring Cup Apple Pie," unless you have a particular affinity for kitchen utensils.

So, I can do a FIST fit using my regular analog goniometer, or I can do one with a RETUL. I've done both. Dan & I have a RETUL for teaching our workshops, and we execute our fits regularly. I like Retul because it provides a timeline of the fit. I also really like it for saddle height. It's the best saddle height measuring tool out there. The other angles FIST uses are much easier to measure, so I don't find it quite as useful for measuring those, but for saddle height, it rules.

I generally don't consider the recommendations that Retul makes for the angles, because I have my own. Personally, I think Retul ought not to give any angles, since that is not their business model. Or at least it hasn't been. They are in the hardware business. Now, I think, like Apple, that they aspire to play in the "software" market as well and to offer a "complete solution," as in a tool AND a methodology, but they do not offer this yet. But I don't think - unlike Apple - that they want to only have their software work with their hardware. I.e., I don't think they wish to prevent folks from doing a FIST fit with a Retul.

There's a bunch on this forum already on the topic. Bottom line, though, a "Retul fit" is not something that exists (yet). Anyone who discusses a "Retul fit" really just means that they were (or are talking about a) fit by Todd Carver of Retul using a Retul to measure and track the body angles.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jordan ,

That was very comprehensive , thanks for that.

I am based in Singapore and will find a FIST fitter here ( I am aware of one ) and take my RETUL numbers along then should the FIST fitter require them to use as reference.

Thanks again.

Terry

"You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream" - Les Brown
"Discipline is the bridge between goals and accomplishment" - Jim Rohn
Last edited by: canuck8: Sep 10, 09 16:34
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
what did you run for the big ring and cassette?

Like T says, "Remember it is all about the Bike because it is all about the Run!"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My brother stayed at the Imperial a few years back...said it smelled like a wet dog.
Quote Reply
Re: The Official Ask Me Any Questions About IMC Thread [tury] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
53-39 // 11-25

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wow so if you ran a 25 then I am thinking my 26 may not be enough next year as I signed up for IMC 2010!

thanks for the info. Way to bring it home with a strong run!

Like T says, "Remember it is all about the Bike because it is all about the Run!"
Quote Reply
Re: The Official Ask Me Any Questions About IMC Thread [tury] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think 11-28 is the best cassette for most people on that course. Alternatively, an 11-25 is fine, if you have a 50/34 up front.

Quote Reply
Re: The Official Ask Me Any Questions About IMC Thread [TimBikeToo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I stayed at the Imperial a couple of years ago as well. I would say that saying it smelled like a wet dog is being overly kind to IP. In fact, if I could have had a wet dog lay on top of my nose for the entire time I stayed there, I would gladly have done it. It would also have been very convenient if that same wet dog was a guide dog, that could help me find my room through the maze of stair, escalators, and elevators you have to take to get anywhere inside the hotel.

The IP is total $hit, and honestly, that is the nicest thing I can think of to say about it.

---------------------------------------------------
Disclaimer: This poster is a sales rep in the bicycle industry
Quote Reply
Re: The Official Ask Me Any Questions About IMC Thread [TimBikeToo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
My brother stayed at the Imperial a few years back...said it smelled like a wet dog.
I convinced herbert to move. We are staying near the 50m pool in Henderson. Priorities...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know if this was covered, but I am surprised that you use EFS considering it contains sucralose. You are anti-dairy and anti-soy (I am also against both of these and have been for years) yet you are pro synthetic sweeteners? Hmm, I see that the tangerine and grape flavors do not have sucralose, do you just stick to those at all times then? Thanks

Ride Scoozy Electric Bicycles
http://www.RideScoozy.com
Quote Reply
Re: The Official Ask Me Any Questions About IMC Thread [msuguy512] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I don't know if this was covered, but I am surprised that you use EFS considering it contains sucralose. You are anti-dairy and anti-soy (I am also against both of these and have been for years) yet you are pro synthetic sweeteners? Hmm, I see that the tangerine and grape flavors do not have sucralose, do you just stick to those at all times then? Thanks
I use EFS grape, which does NOT contain sucralose. Grape & Tangerine do not have artificial sweeteners, and those are the only ones I've ever used, for exactly that reason.

I'm also testing the new EFS prototype flavors. Because of feedback from athletes (there were lots like me that did not like the use of an artificial sweetener), First Endurance has removed sucralose from ALL flavors. There is one flavor with "enhanced" sweetness, but they now use stevia (all natural) for that one. I'm not sure when the new blend will be out. It's a big improvement on all fronts - new amino blend, new flavors, new everything. It's almost a new product. I actually raced on this version - in grape - for IMC.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd appreciate you posting any updates on this as they become available. I avoid artificial sweeteners but have been using EFS, after reading reviews and race reports from yourself and several others.

I read the ingredients on the grape flavor initially and had been using it. Recently switched to Lemon-Lime (which I love) but didn't even think to check the ingredients, I am disappointed to learn it has sucralose in it, had I realized it was there I would not have bought it.

You said all flavors will have the sucralose removed, but one will still have "enhanced" sweetness with Stevia, which one will that be?

In the meantime I'll go back to grape.

Portside Athletics Blog
Quote Reply
Re: The Official Ask Me Any Questions About IMC Thread [SwBkRn44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I'd appreciate you posting any updates on this as they become available. I avoid artificial sweeteners but have been using EFS, after reading reviews and race reports from yourself and several others.

I read the ingredients on the grape flavor initially and had been using it. Recently switched to Lemon-Lime (which I love) but didn't even think to check the ingredients, I am disappointed to learn it has sucralose in it, had I realized it was there I would not have bought it.

You said all flavors will have the sucralose removed, but one will still have "enhanced" sweetness with Stevia, which one will that be?

In the meantime I'll go back to grape.
Right now, the Fruit Punch (which previously had sucralose) will be the one (of four) flavors with stevia. I, personally, hate stevia, but I know plenty of people who don't mind it or who like it, so that's fine. I will have three options to choose from. They are still tweaking the blend, so I don't know a release date yet. Basically, they get it to a point where it's ready to test. They send it to the athletes. We write back. Then they tweak some more. And then maybe repeat the testing. It's neat to be a part of, because you can really see how the product changes based on what we say.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I am not a fan of stevia either (or fruit punch for that matter, so it's not an issue).

As I said, the grape was fine, not great, but certainly tolerable enough to use. I thought the tangerine was terrible. I really like the lemon-lime, it's my own fault for not checking the ingredients I suppose, it just never occured to me that 1)A company like EFS would use sucralose 2)That the formulas would differ from one flavor to another.

For now I'll go back to grape until the new version of lemon-lime comes out.

Portside Athletics Blog
Quote Reply

Prev Next