Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The Official Ask Me Any Questions About IMC Thread [Tri_yoda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Were you tired after?

Re: The Official Ask Me Any Questions About IMC Thread [Mike Plumb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
thanks for posting the wattage numbers.
The last time that I got numbers from you was Arizona, Spring race I believe and at that time you estimated your FTP to be around 380 - 385 watts, giving you an I.F. that race of .74.
Would you estimate that your FTP going into Canada was similar?
Similar but lower now, because I switched from SRM to a PowerTap and promptly loss ~6% of power across the board due to where they measure. So just multiply any numbers from before May of 2008 by .94 to get the approx. equivalent for PT numbers, or divide by .94 to get the equivalent SRM power.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: The Official Ask Me Any Questions About IMC Thread [markvoss] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Rappstar, a techie question for your engineering mind:

I notice from the race photos and your replies so far that you used only two water bottles: one standard round between the aerobars and one Arundel on the seat tube.

My question is regarding the Arundel on the seat tube. I've had this same question ever since Chris Lieto did Kona a few years ago with the Bontrager aero bottles on both the downtube and seat tube. Weren't these aero bottles designed for aerodynamics going "forward", as in, facing forward when hung on the downtube?

We've all read how a standard round bottle on the down tube is actually more aero than no bottle there at all. But when an aero designed bottle is hung on the seat tube isn't it actually facing "backwards".

With only a rudimentary understanding of fluid dynamics or aero-ness, I would not assume that a boat or an airplane would pull through their mediums equally well both forwards and backwards. Would an aero bottle be equally effective pulling through the air forwards or backwards?

Do you see where I'm going with this? Or, is the Arundel bottle a compromised happy medium of aero-ness when facing either forward on the downtube or backwards on the seat tube?

I figure if ANYONE has considered this intelligently and with any authority--it's you.

Technically, the bottles SHOULD be oriented one way or the other. Or rather, I suppose it is possible to design a seat-tube optimized bottle and a downtube optimized bottle. But it should also be possible to design a shape that is relatively effective in either configuration. You'll not that Trek's seatpost on the TTX is symmetrical, and it seems to perform just fine. But then again, it should also be possible to design a bottle that matches up well for a given bike. So ideally, Trek should/could really have made a bonty bottle for seattube and for downtube that would have been best for the TTX. That may in fact be what they did. I am not sure.

The Garmin guys use the Arundel Chrono on their bikes in the same configuration, so I am piggybacking off some blind faith in there testing. I switched to the Arundel because it's possible to refill on the fly. I also happen to like the guys at Arundel a lot (not that I don't like the guys at Trek), so I figured "why not." They make only a handful of products, all of which are very good. So I thought I'd do what I could to help out, especially given that I thought it was a nice option to be able to refill it. I found it to be a bit more manageable than the Bontrager bottle in terms of taking it out, drinking, and putting it back in. I thought it was a bit more user friendly in that regard.

All in all, I don't think it's a critical decision. I think they are both good bottles and both faster than what else is out there, though maybe not as fast as what *COULD* be made.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: The Official Ask Me Any Questions About IMC Thread [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Prior to IMC we discussed sharing a room for Interbike in Las Vegas as ST co-workers. Now after the big win at IMC will you stay by yourself in a suite at the Venetian instead of the questionable old hotel on the strip?
Quote Reply
Re: The Official Ask Me Any Questions About IMC Thread [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I still think we should have stayed at Treasure Island, but I'm committed to the experience of staying the Imperial, which I'm pretty sure is in no way, shape, or form "imperial." It's above a Denny's!

Quote Reply
Re: The Official Ask Me Any Questions About IMC Thread [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jordan - awesome race! It's great to see someone put the amount of effort you've put into the sport and reap the benefits, both in racing and training.

My question is for the rowers turned triathletes out there:

What were your 6k and 2k times back in the day? (if you don't mind sharing....)
Did you ever think about trying out for the national team when you were rowing?
And did you prefer a head race over sprint?
Quote Reply
Re: The Official Ask Me Any Questions About IMC Thread [TomkR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My PB was 6:18.3 for 2km my senior year of college (2002). I did one u23 selection camp (2000) and two senior nat'l team selection camps (for the world's 8+ in 2001 & 2002). I forget my 6km PB. 20:18 maybe? Something like that. I got injured rowing the year after college (hoping to make the nat'l team) which is how I found triathlon. I'd only been rowing for three years when I pulled a 6:18, so I think I had a lot more to drop for sure. I still wonder how I'd do if I went back to rowing. Maybe for 2016. :)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Definitely one of the coolest threads ever. Congrats on the win. See you in AZ.

The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die.-Pre
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
one more question, on your race day nutrition, I didn't see any mention of water at all. Did you take in any H2O during the ride/run at all or was it all EFS and Gatorade/cola?

Mike Plumb, TriPower MultiSports
Professional Running, Cycling and Multisport Coaching, F.I.S.T. Certified
http://www.tripower.org
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2x on the very cool thread. Forum replies on race preparation from someone who just won an ironman is taking 'ST' to another level.

Some very good questions above and I like the replies. If I was a bit younger and keen to do well then the power meter would sound very enticing after reading this thread.

Great to see someone applying a lot of knowledge to long distance triathlon and coming out on top.

All the best.

G.

http://www.TriathlonShots.com
Full event coverage of triathlon/ironman in photos.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What is AFM's Gluing Method? I just started riding tubulars and all I use is tufo tape. Ive got probably 400 miles on my tubulars and haven't flatted, but am I missing something?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You have mentioned the importance of fats and protein in your diet and its no secret that Bacon is your first choice for delivering these nutrients. The got me thinking of the good old "English Breakfast" being an established source of Fats and proteins.

In your expert opinion, is this Bacon, Eggs and Blood Pudding the REAL reason for the increasing domination of the triathlon world by the likes of Chrissie, Julie Dibens, Catriona Morrison, The Brownlees, The Bayliss family and Philip Graves? :-)

Secondary question, do you favor a canadian style bacon over the traditionally thin American style? Has this been the important change in your diet that has moved you to the top of the Podium?

Let me know when you are next in the NYC area, I will take you to either Peter Luger's or Wolfgangs for some of the best Canadian Bacon that will ever pass your lips....

-----------------------------------------------
www.true-motion.com Triathlete Casual Wear since 2007
(Twitter/FB)
Quote Reply
Re: The Official Ask Me Any Questions About IMC Thread [dlampe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
What is AFM's Gluing Method? I just started riding tubulars and all I use is tufo tape. Ive got probably 400 miles on my tubulars and haven't flatted, but am I missing something?
Three coats of glue on the rim, two coats on the tire. ~2 tubes of Vittoria Mastik One per wheel. Basically, more glue = better bond = faster rolling (and slower change in case of flat).

Quote Reply
Re: The Official Ask Me Any Questions About IMC Thread [t2k] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
You have mentioned the importance of fats and protein in your diet and its no secret that Bacon is your first choice for delivering these nutrients. The got me thinking of the good old "English Breakfast" being an established source of Fats and proteins.

In your expert opinion, is this Bacon, Eggs and Blood Pudding the REAL reason for the increasing domination of the triathlon world by the likes of Chrissie, Julie Dibens, Catriona Morrison, The Brownlees, The Bayliss family and Philip Graves? :-)

Secondary question, do you favor a canadian style bacon over the traditionally thin American style? Has this been the important change in your diet that has moved you to the top of the Podium?

Let me know when you are next in the NYC area, I will take you to either Peter Luger's or Wolfgangs for some of the best Canadian Bacon that will ever pass your lips....
I've never had blood pudding, but I hear blood sausage (a southern tradition also enjoyed in many european countries) is excellent. Overall, though, I'd be very hesitant to associate anything really good with English cooking. :P

My favorite type of bacon is probably pancetta (Italian bacon). My favorite brand of bacon is Trader Joe's applewood smoked all natural bacon.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
My PB was 6:18.3 for 2km my senior year of college (2002). I did one u23 selection camp (2000) and two senior nat'l team selection camps (for the world's 8+ in 2001 & 2002). I forget my 6km PB. 20:18 maybe? Something like that. I got injured rowing the year after college (hoping to make the nat'l team) which is how I found triathlon. I'd only been rowing for three years when I pulled a 6:18, so I think I had a lot more to drop for sure. I still wonder how I'd do if I went back to rowing. Maybe for 2016. :)

As another former-rower, its something I thought about as well. How would I do now as a LW rower? I never cracked into the 6:20s (6:31), am shorter than you, but have a pretty large vo2max. Then again, I only rowed 2 years (1 HS, 1 college) and had a major growth spurt after I stopped.

I'm still taunted by the idea of selling off my bikes and getting a single.

Anyhow, congratulations on your race. I have no questions pertaining to your race that haven't been answered previously--ah what the heck:

As someone else who folds himself into an accordian on the bike, do your legs impinge on your chest while in the aerobars? How do you plan your on-the-bike drink timing in order to avoid upside-down stomach problems? Focus on drinking more on the uphills?

Second: port, or starboard? If you come back to San Diego, I'd be more than happy trying to scare up a double or pair.

The question of who is right and who is wrong has seemed to me always too small to be worth a moment's thought, while the question of what is right and what is wrong has seemed all-important.

-Albert J. Nock
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Again, awesome race! Very impressive! I saw you out that run and you were just rolling!

I'm curious about your recovery strategy in the build up. How much sleep per day? Ice baths? Massage frequency/or no massage? etc..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry if this got asked before (I've previously read - but not memorized - the q's and responses, so it could have been asked and answered) -
why no compression sox for IMC?

I know you are an SLS3 athlete, and have used them in other races before.

Didn't want to take the extra T-time to get them on?

Oh - and have you tried their compresion sleeves? Those you can leave on even for the swim, I wore mine under my wettie.
They eliminated any T issues (for me), and then I wore the same socks on my feet I always wear.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For the true Imperial Palace experience try to request a room as close to the parking garage as possible. I stayed there once and will never again. It's not imperial or any type of palace. TI is much better. See you wandering the aisles at IB.

-Darrell

Quote Reply
Re: The Official Ask Me Any Questions About IMC Thread [Darrell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I convinced Herbert that we should stay somewhere else. We are actually going to stay out in Henderson, near the pool there. I figured I could either drive to the pool or drive to show and decided I'd rather drive to the show.

Quote Reply
Re: The Official Ask Me Any Questions About IMC Thread [DHeineck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

As another former-rower, its something I thought about as well. How would I do now as a LW rower? I never cracked into the 6:20s (6:31), am shorter than you, but have a pretty large vo2max. Then again, I only rowed 2 years (1 HS, 1 college) and had a major growth spurt after I stopped.

I'm still taunted by the idea of selling off my bikes and getting a single.

Anyhow, congratulations on your race. I have no questions pertaining to your race that haven't been answered previously--ah what the heck:

As someone else who folds himself into an accordian on the bike, do your legs impinge on your chest while in the aerobars? How do you plan your on-the-bike drink timing in order to avoid upside-down stomach problems? Focus on drinking more on the uphills?

Second: port, or starboard? If you come back to San Diego, I'd be more than happy trying to scare up a double or pair.
I drink anytime. Uphill is always easier, but that's not always convenient. I have no problems drinking in the aero position.

Port AND Starboard. I rowed port for two years and starboard for two. I started as a port and then learned to row starboard between my sophomore and junior years.

Quote Reply
Re: The Official Ask Me Any Questions About IMC Thread [bigred3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Again, awesome race! Very impressive! I saw you out that run and you were just rolling!

I'm curious about your recovery strategy in the build up. How much sleep per day? Ice baths? Massage frequency/or no massage? etc..
I *should* be doing ice baths daily, BUT I will admit that I've been lazy this week. Sometimes, after the big build-up, it can be just as hard to really focus on recovery. I guess I allow myself some laxity here. Recovery is really the most important during training, at least that what I'm telling myself. I'll do some cold baths in the next couple days and then get back onto a regular routine of them next week. Start back up with massage and ART next week as well. Like to give my legs a chance to not be super sore to the touch before getting that massage. It's a waste to go to early because you can't really go that deep if you are still super sore.

Just eating well and taking it easy. Trying to get out and walk around or just cruise around town on my MTB to keep the legs moving. Today (Thur) was the day I was the least sore but the most tired. The previous couple days I was really sore, but still I think pumped up and so I wasn't that tired. Today, I can finally walk normally, but I don't want to. :)

Quote Reply
Re: The Official Ask Me Any Questions About IMC Thread [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Sorry if this got asked before (I've previously read - but not memorized - the q's and responses, so it could have been asked and answered) -
why no compression sox for IMC?

I know you are an SLS3 athlete, and have used them in other races before.

Didn't want to take the extra T-time to get them on?

Oh - and have you tried their compresion sleeves? Those you can leave on even for the swim, I wore mine under my wettie.
They eliminated any T issues (for me), and then I wore the same socks on my feet I always wear.
Yeah, I just find that the compression socks are most important for recovery. I just don't think they are super critical for racing, at least for me. I think I've got enough mileage on my legs that it's not a limiter for me. But I do think that's a time issue. Running sub-3 and going 8-low I think is a very different race than someone who is shooting to go 11:25. I'm not implying that I'm "better," just saying that I might do things differently if I was planning to be out there for another ~30% longer. I've worn them in the past, but I think the more I run, the less I need them for training (or racing). Still they are really good for recovery - I had the sls socks on all day on Friday and Saturday and also the morning of the race.

I have the compression sleeves. But they are still too long for me with my aquaman wetsuit, which is quite short in the legs. I like them for training. Really like them. And they are also good for recovery after Ironman because putting on regular socks hurts my feet (blisters), so it's nice to just have them on my calves.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jordan, Congrats on a result that is just a preview of what's to come.

My question is I know you use the great Kiwami Amphibian suit. For the run, do you use a race belt, or just take from aid stations, as I know the Amphibian has no pockets. Thanks and hope to see you rocking again soon.

Gary
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jordan,
I just noticed that you won IMC.

WOW Congrats!!!

Train safe & smart
Bob

Quote Reply
Re: The Official Ask Me Any Questions About IMC Thread [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Jordan, Congrats on a result that is just a preview of what's to come.

My question is I know you use the great Kiwami Amphibian suit. For the run, do you use a race belt, or just take from aid stations, as I know the Amphibian has no pockets. Thanks and hope to see you rocking again soon.

Gary
Hi Gary,

I have a little pouch that I use to carry my two salt carriers (I split my salt into two carriers), which are just the fuel belt tubes. It's a zip-up fuel belt pouch, which I don't think they make anymore, but something like their MP3 carrier would be a fine substitution. Then I just tuck my gel flask under one of my shoulder straps and I don't ever notice it is there.

You can see it here under my left strap:

Quote Reply

Prev Next