Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: What pro has the best chance to shock us all at Kona [alittleslow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Has he struggled in hot weather races? I recall him going sub 8 in several IMs but never putting together a great one in the heat.

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: What pro has the best chance to shock us all at Kona [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm shocked nobody has mentioned Ben Hoffman. He put up a monster performance at IMSA earlier this year and seems to have been focused on Kona since. He's solid all around and he has experience at Kona. TO is another potential contender. He was a machine at Boulder this year.

I'm going to go against the grain and bet against Lange. You don't (usually) set marathon records year after year.

I think you'll see Frodo, Sebi, and one other come off the bike pretty close to each other. Frodo will try to take the run out fast to break whoever is with him. I predict Sebi will try to just run an even pace instead of going with him banking on potentially passing him in the last few miles.

On the women's side, so long as Ryf stays healthy she'll be tough to beat.
Quote Reply
Re: What pro has the best chance to shock us all at Kona [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:
Let's talk about who the outliers are at this year's Kona race. Who has the chance of shocking us and beating one of the big names that are expected to win.

Any of the Americans. All the talk is about the Germans or the Canadian. Potts, T.O, Hoffman or any others for the podium sweep.
Quote Reply
Re: What pro has the best chance to shock us all at Kona [Timtek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not sure who it might be, but I would be surprised by a 6th German in the top 8.. I was quite surprised by 5 in the top 7 last year, most dominant performance by a country ever. So one more?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the surprise will be Lange not finishing in the top 10.

I'll take TO or Josh Amberger to be the big surprise. TO for the win.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: What pro has the best chance to shock us all at Kona [The_Exile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The_Exile wrote:
MI_Mumps wrote:
I would be shocked by Joe Skippah. I would also be shocked by Susie Cheetham.

I think everyone would be shocked by Joe winning - he doesn't have a slot.

You're on to me! Susie was my error - I forgot about Brazil.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Re: What pro has the best chance to shock us all at Kona [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
I'm shocked nobody has mentioned Ben Hoffman. He put up a monster performance at IMSA earlier this year and seems to have been focused on Kona since. He's solid all around and he has experience at Kona. TO is another potential contender. He was a machine at Boulder this year.

I'm going to go against the grain and bet against Lange. You don't (usually) set marathon records year after year.

I think you'll see Frodo, Sebi, and one other come off the bike pretty close to each other. Frodo will try to take the run out fast to break whoever is with him. I predict Sebi will try to just run an even pace instead of going with him banking on potentially passing him in the last few miles.

On the women's side, so long as Ryf stays healthy she'll be tough to beat.

Ben doing well wouldn't be a shocker, but still...people will consistently be ''shocked'' by him doing well. His training has been going really well. I think/hope he'll be on the podium. Would love it to be the top step, but the German crew is definitely tough. Lionel is a big question mark. I think everyone knows he has the talent to be affecting the front of the race, it's just a question of how well he will put it all together in KONA.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's hard to bet against Frodo, the guy hasn't even been fully tested in Kona. Obviously Kienle will be there, but I think the dynamics of Lionel being in the second pack might change things a lot.

If I'm not mistaken, I'm not sure Lionel has ever proved himself in a hot weather Ironman. Regardless though, he just seems to be more unbreakable mentally than ever before. I don't think we'd be surprised to see Lionel win or blow up in an epic fashion.

Ben Hoffman is really capable of winning this race. Mentally he is a beast and physically he is obviously capable. Ben showed his power in South Africa and erased some doubts with his low 2:40's run.

Matt Hansen is interesting here. Matt has proven that he can run in the heat. Regardless of heat, Matt Hansen can flat out annihilate a run. My question is whether or not Hansen can keep up with the bike pack. I believe Matt is not the strongest swimmer, so it may come down to whether or not he can hang onto the surge provided by the Lionel, Sebi, and Thomas.

Tim Don could impress us all, he's shown what he can do this year.

If Brent McMahon can execute the run he's capable of, he could easily be in the mix.

T.O. could prove me wrong, but I'm just not sure his run is lethal enough to hang with the Germans or even Hoffman.

Potts looks to be on the way out. Pains me to say it because I love him, but his results are not indicative of Kona success.

The true unknown dark horse: Pete Jacobs. The man can swim and run with anybody, but can he bike within striking distance of the favorites to make it a race. Health has been a big concern the past few years.

Again, the dynamic that is going to change things is Lionel being in that second pack. That freight train coming out in the second pack is going to change up the bike drastically. You'll see people like Jesse Thomas, Sebi, and Lionel settle into the pack much earlier than hawi.

Team Zoot 2023
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Annabel Luxford.

If she can put together a good run, I believe she will be a big threat. I think she can go with Daniela from the gun.

I would also love to see Terenzo put together a good race in Kona.

jake

Get outside!
Quote Reply
Re: What pro has the best chance to shock us all at Kona [jakers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

I concur with the Lucy Charles prediction - assuming she's healthy - and if not this year on the podium, definitely next - she's got the whole package and only lacks seasoning - predict she'll succeed Daniela.

Advocating for research & treatment for Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (ME).
http://www.meaction.net/about/what-is-me/

"Suck it up, Buttercup"
(me, to myself, every day)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not saying they will win, but In terms of outliers and a great performance, keep an eye out on two first time Kona racers: Braden Currie and Nick Kastelein. Both are chipping away quietly at their training in NZ and Girona respectively, both are massive talents and no one is really talking about them.

Also, I expect to see a top 5 from James Cunnama. Someone else not many people are talking about. Being back training with Sutto is already paying dividends for him and expect to see a solid performance from him in Kona.
Quote Reply
Re: What pro has the best chance to shock us all at Kona [aerobean] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
aerobean wrote:
It's hard to bet against Frodo, the guy hasn't even been fully tested in Kona. Obviously Kienle will be there, but I think the dynamics of Lionel being in the second pack might change things a lot.
If I'm not mistaken, I'm not sure Lionel has ever proved himself in a hot weather Ironman. Regardless though, he just seems to be more unbreakable mentally than ever before. I don't think we'd be surprised to see Lionel win or blow up in an epic fashion.
Ben Hoffman is really capable of winning this race. Mentally he is a beast and physically he is obviously capable. Ben showed his power in South Africa and erased some doubts with his low 2:40's run.
Matt Hansen is interesting here. Matt has proven that he can run in the heat. Regardless of heat, Matt Hansen can flat out annihilate a run. My question is whether or not Hansen can keep up with the bike pack. I believe Matt is not the strongest swimmer, so it may come down to whether or not he can hang onto the surge provided by the Lionel, Sebi, and Thomas.
Tim Don could impress us all, he's shown what he can do this year.
If Brent McMahon can execute the run he's capable of, he could easily be in the mix.
T.O. could prove me wrong, but I'm just not sure his run is lethal enough to hang with the Germans or even Hoffman.
Potts looks to be on the way out. Pains me to say it because I love him, but his results are not indicative of Kona success.
The true unknown dark horse: Pete Jacobs. The man can swim and run with anybody, but can he bike within striking distance of the favorites to make it a race. Health has been a big concern the past few years.
Again, the dynamic that is going to change things is Lionel being in that second pack.
That freight train coming out in the second pack is going to change up the bike drastically. You'll see people like Jesse Thomas, Sebi, and Lionel settle into the pack much earlier than Hawi.

You are overlooking the potential that LS, Sebi, etc, may never catch the front pack swimmers freight train. Amburger, Frodo, Potts, and Cam Wurf may just ride off the front for the whole bike. IMO, it is Wurf and Amburger who may change the dynamics more so than LS. In the end though, Frodo runs away from all for the win.

On the women's side, Lucy Charles could possibly pull off an upset of Daniella.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: What pro has the best chance to shock us all at Kona [Alfredo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alfredo wrote:
Not saying they will win, but In terms of outliers and a great performance, keep an eye out on two first time Kona racers: Braden Currie and Nick Kastelein. Both are chipping away quietly at their training in NZ and Girona respectively, both are massive talents and no one is really talking about them.

Also, I expect to see a top 5 from James Cunnama. Someone else not many people are talking about. Being back training with Sutto is already paying dividends for him and expect to see a solid performance from him in Kona.

Both great calls! Both could factor big time. (Cunnama also, but I called that one myself earlier :) )

Brent

DFRU - Detta Family Racing Unit...the kids like it and we all get out and after it...gotta keep the fam involved!
Quote Reply
Re: What pro has the best chance to shock us all at Kona [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You certainly have a point, but I think the power of the Lionel and Sebi chase pack will be pretty intense. Since Kienle's first Kona (2012) he's never not caught the front pack. It's tough to doubt the cycling prowess of Kienle and Sanders. I would be blown away if they didn't catch that pack, it seems highly unlikely.

The swim was really pushed last year, but it may have been what caused Frodeno to feel so uneasy on the bike. My thought is that Jan adopts the Potts theory of, "If I just swim in the front pack the race becomes just two segments rather than three." No doubt that Amburger is an absolute fish, but he still doesn't have the run to produce in Kona. Much like the peloton in the Tour de France, I feel like regardless of Amburger's lead out of the swim he'll get caught by the others.

In an interview with Canadian Triathlete Magazine, Sanders said that he thought it was going to take a sub 2:40 to win Kona this year.

It's going to be another great year on the big island.

Team Zoot 2023
Quote Reply
Re: What pro has the best chance to shock us all at Kona [aerobean] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
aerobean wrote:
You certainly have a point, but I think the power of the Lionel and Sebi chase pack will be pretty intense. Since Kienle's first Kona (2012) he's never not caught the front pack. It's tough to doubt the cycling prowess of Kienle and Sanders. I would be blown away if they didn't catch that pack, it seems highly unlikely.
The swim was really pushed last year, but it may have been what caused Frodeno to feel so uneasy on the bike. My thought is that Jan adopts the Potts theory of, "If I just swim in the front pack the race becomes just two segments rather than three." No doubt that Amburger is an absolute fish, but he still doesn't have the run to produce in Kona. Much like the peloton in the Tour de France, I feel like regardless of Amburger's lead out of the swim he'll get caught by the others.
In an interview with Canadian Triathlete Magazine, Sanders said that he thought it was going to take a sub 2:40 to win Kona this year.
It's going to be another great year on the big island.

You didn't address the former pro cyclist Wurf though; he could break away from all and ride solo into T2. No doubt he'd be caught on the run but still, he'd definitely shake things up.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: What pro has the best chance to shock us all at Kona [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wasn't Wurf trying to obliterate the bike record at IM South Africa? I think Wurf ended up only getting 2 minutes on Hoffman.

So much depends on conditions too. A huge windy day could turn the whole thing upside down.

Team Zoot 2023
Quote Reply
Re: What pro has the best chance to shock us all at Kona [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
Lange or Sanders would be shocking?? I would think they would be in everyone's top 10 (if not, top 5) favorites

You might as well re name the thread 'Other than Frodeno and Kienle who do you think could win?'
Quote Reply
Re: What pro has the best chance to shock us all at Kona [Jackets] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How about Patrick Nilsson? Could he be in the mix for the podium?

Neo-pro triathlete

https://www.instagram.com/nicolaiwium/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
On the women's side, Lucy Charles could possibly pull off an upset of Daniella.

Lucy is still new to the sport and far too nice. I saw her up close three years ago in La Santa and her progression has been stunning but she doesn't have a bulldog coach or years of ITU close contact racing behind her. In fact I think she'll make an excellent carrot for Daniella on the bike. Let the other girls panic at the start of the bike, just keep the gap constant for the first half and reel Lucy in on the second. Daniella knows that she can close the gap whenever she wants but preferably back on the Queen K when people's game plans are coming unstuck. Having someone up the road to pull in, like a classic time trial with all the motorbikes and helicopter to provide visual stimulus, can only benefit someone who comes to their own late in the game. Lucy has had some good runs this year but Kona is a different beast, Daniella can still run 10mins faster than her and if need be, break her mentally. However this is what Lucy needs to up her game for the future.

SteveMc
Quote Reply
Re: What pro has the best chance to shock us all at Kona [SteveMc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't forget that Lucy came to triathlon from competitive (GB squad) 10km open water swimming, so I think she is well used to the rough and tumble of racing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Chris Froome.

http://www.sweat7.com
Facebook Page: Sweat7
Twitter: @sweat7coaching
Quote Reply
Re: What pro has the best chance to shock us all at Kona [Timtek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with you about Brett and the heat, but went with the title of the thread with who would Shock us at Kona. Maybe him handling the heat and getting to the podium is a possibility, but not one that many would predict. As another poster said, I don't recall Sanders handling the heat so well either, but I might be forgetting a race of his that he had in the heat and did well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:

You didn't address the former pro cyclist Wurf though; he could break away from all and ride solo into T2. No doubt he'd be caught on the run but still, he'd definitely shake things up.

If I remember correctly he did that in Brazil or another tropical IM and paid for it dearly on the run. If he attacks in Kona the big boys won't worry about it at all. You gotta be able to back up the bike with a run to get people to take notice.

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: What pro has the best chance to shock us all at Kona [T3_Beer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
T3_Beer wrote:
Jordan Rapp now that he's on a safe bike!

Made me laugh out loud, thanks for posting
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
David McNamee if he is racing
Quote Reply

Prev Next