Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Tom Danielson tests positive for testosterone, denies it on Twitter [mcycle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mcycle wrote:
nate.j.king wrote:
mcycle wrote:
But, the silence and cycling omerta is deafening right now. Very, very few active pros (I'm focusing here on top domestic U.S. racers and World Tour guys that might be racing in the U.S.) have made any comment. If everyone is clean or the sport is trying to get clean, when a top U.S. racer gets busted, I would think all the clean guys would stand up and be super pissed at yet another rider tested positive, in this day of 'clean cycling'. It's all a marketing PR scam, as it has been for decades, in my mind, with many riders still doping.

I think if he'd been riding for any team save Garmindale, the tone of the reaction would be quite a bit different. If it had been Horner, you can bet he'd be getting dragged through the streets of downtown Logan tonight.

Right now, there's the very real possibility that a lot of guys are going to be without jobs and American road racing is going to take a massive body blow from the consequences. No one is covering anything up, but no one is singing about it from the rooftops yet. Make sense?

If the team folds, than so be it, and actually Vaughters word will be more meaningful. If Vaughters wants to back pedal, that's fine for him, but his words will mean even less. If TDs 'clean' teammates rip apart his actions, that will mean something to, of course it could all be lies, as they historically have been, but silence is the easy way out.

So is Tommy D the old or new generation, anyway, as the new generation doesn't dope.

Talansky ripped apart Di Luca for testing positive, will he rip apart TD? From talansky's blog... Golden, just golden, as long as you believe, too bad there have been tons of positive athletes since that blog post..... I think Lance told us to believe as welll with his yellow jersey Paris TdF podium speech....

"Tomorrow, I will line up at the start line with my teammates and competitors, and we will race. A deserving winner will stand on top of the podium. That is what I believe. I love my sport and I will do anything to share that love with all the real fans out there, to give journalists something real to write about. So here is my challenge to all of you: BELIEVE! If you are capable, believe in me, believe in my team, believe in my competitors, believe in this sport. I do. It has so much good to offer, so much excitement to share, so much inspiration to provide, all you have to do is believe."
Posted 11th February 2011 by Andrew Talansky

Vaughters said on Twitter today that the team will continue. So much for his word having meaning.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Tom Danielson tests positive for testosterone, denies it on Twitter [Ken] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ken wrote:
mcycle wrote:
Shortly after retiring, Vaughters launched a developmental cycling squad dedicated to ethical competition. That team has since evolved into Cannondale-Garmin. Early on, the team implemented a stringent doping policy that remains today. If a rider is caught doping, the whole team will be fired.

Business as usual:
https://twitter.com/...s/628554861865529344
@Vaughters: Selfishly, Id like to disappear, but that hurts quite a few good people. Therefore,Slipstream's owners(me too) have decided to push forward.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Tom Danielson tests positive for testosterone, denies it on Twitter [Alvin Tostig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alvin Tostig wrote:
gregf83 wrote:
Alvin Tostig wrote:
kny wrote:
More than a date. He left wife #2 and kids for her. And they've been living/training in Girona. It's 2003 all over again!

http://kourtneycompton.com/journal/

Why do US cyclists and triathletes continue to live and train in Girona? "I live and train in Girona" is a red flag.
Low cost of living, nice weather, great roads and hills, respectful drivers. Is there a better place to train?

Throw in the recent history with Americans who lived and trained in Girona while using PED's and blood bags and Spain's lax attitudes when it comes to prosecuting athletes using PED's and blood bags.

Plenty of athletes (US and European) get good results in races without living and training in Girona.

Well, to be fair, Spain has anti-doping legislation, so doping is actually a criminal offence there (unlike in the US). And Operation Puerto was instrumental in cracking down on several dopers (Jan Ullrich among them) at a time when legislation wouldn't have allowed such actions in other countries.

Cheers,
malte
Quote Reply
Re: Tom Danielson tests positive for testosterone, denies it on Twitter [Jason80134] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jason80134 wrote:
It's hard for me to believe there is enough incentive for an age grouper to dope. Maybe a few super elite guys that are pro-hopeful, but that can't be that many people. What's the point of doing that when you have a regular job and family? There is no money. And how much glory is there in being first of ten guys in the 41-43 age group. Whoopdedo!

On the other hand, anybody on a pro podium in any sport is considered guilty in my opinion.

You don't understand the state of the sport then. Triathlon is a high end sport with nearly as much cost to play as golf with as much visibility as that sport in the local news now. I have seen triathletes bring a more than $10K triathlon bike to a race with less than 200 participants, with most participants riding road bikes, hybrids and off road bikes. I volunteered at another small local race a few years ago and a guy had his $9K ride stolen out of the transition area while he celebrated after he picked up his age group award. If people are dumping that much just to race in small local events, it is not a big leap to see people putting stuff into their bodies that is being advertised on TV every weekend and can be bought under the average workers pharmacy benefit for the cost of a co-pay.
Quote Reply
Re: Tom Danielson tests positive for testosterone, denies it on Twitter [vecchia capra] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vecchia capra wrote:
Jason80134 wrote:
It's hard for me to believe there is enough incentive for an age grouper to dope. Maybe a few super elite guys that are pro-hopeful, but that can't be that many people. What's the point of doing that when you have a regular job and family? There is no money. And how much glory is there in being first of ten guys in the 41-43 age group. Whoopdedo!

On the other hand, anybody on a pro podium in any sport is considered guilty in my opinion.

You don't understand the state of the sport then. Triathlon is a high end sport with nearly as much cost to play as golf with as much visibility as that sport in the local news now. I have seen triathletes bring a more than $10K triathlon bike to a race with less than 200 participants, with most participants riding road bikes, hybrids and off road bikes. I volunteered at another small local race a few years ago and a guy had his $9K ride stolen out of the transition area while he celebrated after he picked up his age group award. If people are dumping that much just to race in small local events, it is not a big leap to see people putting stuff into their bodies that is being advertised on TV every weekend and can be bought under the average workers pharmacy benefit for the cost of a co-pay.

Why does it matter what some folks spend their money on? You probably drive a fancy car. Some have big homes. Some have a fancy boat or airplane.
Enjoy what you earned, no reason to leave it to the kids.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Tom Danielson tests positive for testosterone, denies it on Twitter [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
""Safer" does not equal "safe"."

exactly. i'm glad you agree with what i wrote.

"
I still find it troubling that a tri coach has such a lax attitude towards the use of T."

i didn't read that in what he wrote. maybe you can point out to me what he said. maybe there was a post of his i missed.

Kenny pointed it out above.....

Quote:
what an AG triathlete can today take legally under a doctor's care to
boost their performance

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: Tom Danielson tests positive for testosterone, denies it on Twitter [Ken] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ken wrote:

Business as usual:
@Vaughters: Selfishly, Id like to disappear, but that hurts quite a few good people. Therefore,Slipstream's owners(me too) have decided to push forward.

Lame.

I'm not anti-Vaughters. I just prefer it that when people make bold, public claims that they actually follow through with them.
Last edited by: trail: Aug 4, 15 7:32
Quote Reply
Re: Tom Danielson tests positive for testosterone, denies it on Twitter [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
why should we listen to what you have to say? you don't even have an appendix ;-)

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Tom Danielson tests positive for testosterone, denies it on Twitter [malte] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, to be fair, Spain dragged their heels for years and you never saw any tennis players or soccer players be prosecuted. Coincidentally, France wins the world cup in 1998 and Spain wins it in 2010.
Quote Reply
Re: Tom Danielson tests positive for testosterone, denies it on Twitter [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NO one can be surprised by Vaughters' statement....

1) His "one positive and we walk away" declarations always rang as PR statements, not actual promises (to me, at least)

2) There are a lot of jobs, careers and families that he is responsible for now. Pretty hard to just fold your tent and walk away.

3) It is not his money that is making the decision. Cannondale, Garmin and his investor angel all have input on the decision (and more input than Vaughters in all likelihood).

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: Tom Danielson tests positive for testosterone, denies it on Twitter [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Ken wrote:

Business as usual:

Lame.

I'm not anti-Vaughters. I just prefer it when people make bold, public claims that they actually follow through with them.

I am anti-Vaughters and it is lame. Let me make bold, assertive statements that strengthen my brand as an anti-doping figure, build my team around that brand and when its time to act on my statement I fold. As if he didn't know folding a team would hurt other people.

He's a hypocrite without a backbone and without ethics.
Quote Reply
Re: Tom Danielson tests positive for testosterone, denies it on Twitter [Alvin Tostig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alvin Tostig wrote:
Throw in the recent history with Americans who lived and trained in Girona while using PED's and blood bags and Spain's lax attitudes when it comes to prosecuting athletes using PED's and blood bags.

Plenty of athletes (US and European) get good results in races without living and training in Girona.

Let us say you are a 19/20 year old american kid that just got a pro tour contract. You need to move to Europe, possibly going there for the very first time. Do you go live in the city where a bunch of other americans, who have the same job and have made the same crazy changes in life live or do you go somewhere else? In Girona you have much more support from other riders, just imagine getting thrown into the pro tour and all the stress of training and racing, having a place where you are going to have lots of help getting things like electricity to your apartment, internet to your apartment, or even an apartment in general. It really is hard to blame an American cyclist from moving to Girona.
Quote Reply
Re: Tom Danielson tests positive for testosterone, denies it on Twitter [Uncle Arqyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He wrote a check that he could not cash. Whether he actually really wants to follow through on it or not, we'll never know. But, surely Garmin and Cannondale aren't going to just shut down because of a pledge that JV made before they were even involved. Not to mention that you've got dozens of guys under contract who you can't just throw under the bus.

It was a lot of big talk from JV, but never very realistic should this exact scenario occur.
Quote Reply
Re: Tom Danielson tests positive for testosterone, denies it on Twitter [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
why should we listen to what you have to say? you don't even have an appendix ;-)

:) True, but it sure is one way to lose weight. But now the pulled hamstring has got me. I guess we both
need a wheel chair. :) Can I recover for Tahoe, we shall see. I asked my doctors if it would be okay to do an IM
2 months after surgery and they just all told me I was nuts. I said how about a 70.3 then. I still got strange looks.

I know my doctor talked to me about getting T after seeing my blood tests. I said it is illegal for racing. Plus,
the side effects are such that unless is was needed for live or death, no thanks. But, I have no doubt that
PLENTY around and in our AG use it! The docs clearly make money by getting folks to use, so they push it.

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Quote Reply
Re: Tom Danielson tests positive for testosterone, denies it on Twitter [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Power13 wrote:

1) His "one positive and we walk away" declarations always rang as PR statements, not actual promises (to me, at least)

2) There are a lot of jobs, careers and families that he is responsible for now. Pretty hard to just fold your tent and walk away.

3) It is not his money that is making the decision. Cannondale, Garmin and his investor angel all have input on the decision (and more input than Vaughters in all likelihood).

#2 and #3 I get, but he can personally remove himself, resign, and disappear. that is what makes him a loser.
Quote Reply
Re: Tom Danielson tests positive for testosterone, denies it on Twitter [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ask your doctor if T grows dormant or slow growing cancers. if he doesn't know, ask him if it's worth his kickback to experiment on your body.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Tom Danielson tests positive for testosterone, denies it on Twitter [vecchia capra] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vecchia capra wrote:
[ I have seen triathletes bring a more than $10K triathlon bike to a race with less than 200 participants, with most participants riding road bikes, hybrids and off road bikes. I volunteered at another small local race a few years ago and a guy had his $9K ride stolen out of the transition area while he celebrated after he picked up his age group award. If people are dumping that much just to race in small local events, it is not a big leap to see people putting stuff into their bodies that is being advertised on TV every weekend and can be bought under the average workers pharmacy benefit for the cost of a co-pay.

Re the bolded portion. If you race in "big national races" and also do your local triathlon, should you have an extra, beater bike that you bring to the local race so it doesn't look like you are trying too hard? Is it ok with you if I ride the same bike in my local, 150 people doing it race, as I do in a WTC race?

I agree with your basic premise, that there are many AGers who are so caught up in beating others that they would cheat. Evidence suggests that there are many who have completely lost perspective when it comes to sport and racing. Bringing an expensive bike to a local race really doesn't seem like it is part of that evidence.

(And yes, I am the ass-hat that is going to be bringing my very nice bike to a local race in two weekends. Love that bike. I will still probably get beaten by many of the local studs.)

----------------------------
Jason
None of the secrets of success will work unless you do.
Last edited by: wannabefaster: Aug 4, 15 10:26
Quote Reply
Re: Tom Danielson tests positive for testosterone, denies it on Twitter [tlc13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tlc13 wrote:
Power13 wrote:

#2 and #3 I get, but he can personally remove himself, resign, and disappear. that is what makes him a loser.

While I wouldn't call him a "loser", I think that is a fair criticism.

That said, he has put a ton of his life's work into the team.....pretty damn hard to walk away from that.

Quote Reply
Re: Tom Danielson tests positive for testosterone, denies it on Twitter [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"what an AG triathlete can today take legally under a doctor's care to boost their performance"

maybe i misinterpreted this. what i "read" is that, yes, a doctor can legally prescribe stuff that will boost an athlete's performance. i see it all the time. and, by "legal" i take it to mean he won't get prosecuted for it under the criminal code.

now, if he meant "legally" as in you can use with impunity in competition, that would be a breathtaking naivete, especially for a coach.

i just hope that isn't what he meant.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Tom Danielson tests positive for testosterone, denies it on Twitter [kny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kny wrote:
He wrote a check that he could not cash. Whether he actually really wants to follow through on it or not, we'll never know. But, surely Garmin and Cannondale aren't going to just shut down because of a pledge that JV made before they were even involved. Not to mention that you've got dozens of guys under contract who you can't just throw under the bus.

It was a lot of big talk from JV, but never very realistic should this exact scenario occur.

At best its incompetence, at worst its fraud.
Quote Reply
Re: Tom Danielson tests positive for testosterone, denies it on Twitter [Uncle Arqyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Uncle Arqyle wrote:
Well, to be fair, Spain dragged their heels for years and you never saw any tennis players or soccer players be prosecuted. Coincidentally, France wins the world cup in 1998 and Spain wins it in 2010.

Unlike the US, who ferociously go after the dopers in baseball and american football. Oh wait...

I'm not saying any country is perfect, but let's not start throwing stones here.

Cheers,
malte
Quote Reply
Re: Tom Danielson tests positive for testosterone, denies it on Twitter [malte] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
malte wrote:
Uncle Arqyle wrote:

Unlike the US, who ferociously go after the dopers in baseball and american football. Oh wait...

I'm not saying any country is perfect, but let's not start throwing stones here.

Cheers,
malte

Apples & Oranges.....MLB and the NFL are not signatories to the WADA code.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
ask your doctor if T grows dormant or slow growing cancers. if he doesn't know, ask him if it's worth his kickback to experiment on your body.

I have my annual in a few weeks. I wonder if he will bring T up again. If I remember, I will ask him about how many folks ask for it.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Power13 wrote:
malte wrote:
Uncle Arqyle wrote:

Cheers,
malte

Apples & Oranges.....MLB and the NFL are not signatories to the WADA code.

Oh my. So it's ok to dope in these sports? Are you aware that in Spain, doping in any sport, WADA signatory or not, is a criminal offense?
And how many tennis or soccer players have been busted for doping in other countries?

Cheers,
malte
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
malte wrote:
Uncle Arqyle wrote:

Cheers,
malte

Baseball and American Football at least are played within the boundaries of the country. The World Cup is not. But I get your point. I like to jab Spanish and French people a little about their respective wins. I actually rooted for Spain in 2010. It was a great squad. And, I'm not American.
Quote Reply

Prev Next