Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [damon_rinard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Damon,

I am having an absolute blast riding the new P5 around. Being an engineer myself in a previous life I appreciate the your version of simple and yet very funtional. Going really fast on it is just too much fun.

My question is whether there has been any progress on getting a custom bottle like the P4 had on the downtube. I'm not in a hurry since the next IM isn't until May but is DSW or Torhans or anyone else working on an elegant design for this?

Thanks a million for the great work you did on this bike,

Carl
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [heffle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Carl,

Thanks for the kind words, and I'm really glad you're enjoying your P5! We really tried to make the fastest tri bike as simple as possible and it sounds like you've found that to be the case in your experience.

Yep, I understand several companies are developing exciting accessories that are intended to mount in the "V" of the down tube and seat tubes above the BB (we're starting to call this are the BBV). I expect they'll announce when they're ready.

Cheers,

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
CSG Road Engineering Department
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
(ex-Cervelo, ex-Trek, ex-Velomax, ex-Kestrel)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Damon,

Can you shed any light on how far along the production of size 51 (P5-Three, if that matters) and the Aduro X-Lo is?

I can see that the Magura RT8 TT brakes have hit retail, which is nice :)

Thanks in advance.
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [MTM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi MTM,

They are in production, but unfortunately I don't have more specific info. Your Cervelo retailer and their reps have the best info on delivery. The 51s and X-Low bar may seem late because they were developed after the more common sizes.

Cheers,

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the RT 8TT brakes on my Look 596 and they are great!
Last edited by: VJL: Oct 9, 12 10:54
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the fast reply, Damon.

I was just looking for information on whether production was started and whether any have been delivered to paying customers yet.

A new distributor is finally in place here in Denmark. He said two weeks ago that the P5's might come last week - though I was pretty sure that at least 51's wouldn't. And they didn't. The season is over here, so it's no biggie. I'm just trying to get a feeling for how far along the production and distribution is - whether I have to wait one more month or more like 6 months more.

Another question. If you have the X-Lo configuration you should be able to convert it to the Low by getting a new "center part" but keeping the basebar, i.e. you don't have to buy a completely new Aduro bar?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
who is sellin gthe 5-3 with the aduro?

the dealer here says the 5-6 comes with all three options on bar configs, least the 54 he had in stock did, so I am told
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [jeffp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought they only came with Low and High V and the X-Lo had to be ordered seperately. Nice if all options comes with the bar. Have you seen how the X-Lo looks? I'm not sure the pictures I can find online represents the final version, since they have changed it since the introduction in January (at least the reach has been changed and made adjustable).

I'm not ordering P5 and Aduro together, they will be bought seperately. Still not sure whether I should go with the Aduro or the Tula and keep the front end more adjustable. Will see if I can get around to field test some different stack heights before I commit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you mean Aduro or R1, right? ;)

friend who ordered the 51 P5 has been told repeatedly by shop, they come with all three and I believe he saw all three on the 54 they had in shop. I should swing by sometime and see if they still have it or sold it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
x-low is an option not included with P5-6
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Cervelo bars are pretty adjustable. You can always use normal spacers instead of the aero ones while you dial in your position...and run more brake cable if possible as well. And, I would be willing to bet you could use washers under the armrests depending on what small adjustments you need to make. and, another option would be to not use the top cap/cover to the stem on the aduro as well until you get dialed in...more adjustability still.

Brandon Marsh - Website | @BrandonMarshTX | RokaSports | 1stEndurance | ATC Bikeshop |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Unfortunately R1 has too much stack for me (about ~20mm more stack than Tula and I already need a -30 degree stem on the P5 51 to get to my current stack height with the Tula). They only make it in 440 mm width, too, but that's a smaller obstacle.

Be sure to take some pictures if you swing by and they have the X-Lo mounted ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [-BrandonMarshTX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
-BrandonMarshTX wrote:
The Cervelo bars are pretty adjustable. You can always use normal spacers instead of the aero ones while you dial in your position...and run more brake cable if possible as well. And, I would be willing to bet you could use washers under the armrests depending on what small adjustments you need to make. and, another option would be to not use the top cap/cover to the stem on the aduro as well until you get dialed in...more adjustability still.

I believe Damon said the top cap is structural so you should really not leave it off. That means you can have no spacers above the stem of the Aduro, so once you go lower you can't go back up (without buying a new fork). You can probably put some spacers under the arm rests like you mention, but that only goes so far if you don't want to mess up the pad height relative to your extensions.

If I have understood things correctly (which is what I asked Damon) I can however switch between X-Lo and Low (and High V) which gives me different 'base heights' and then maybe fine tune with small spacers under the arm rests if needed. It would require re-cabling to switch between X-Lo and Low, but it shouldn't require a new fork or anything like that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well crap, I had a nice long post drawn up and hit a wrong key. I just built up 2 of them. A bit of a do as I say not as I do build. A few thoughts....

- We wanted to use our powermeters. Since we don't have a PM sponsor or BBRight PM, we also used the Rotor 46-24 press fit adapter. It was nerve-racking getting it installed. Tolerances are very very tight. ATC said that they have installed the BBRight as well as other press-fit adapters without the super tight tolerances.

- Measure three times, cut once. Especially if your fit is pretty well dialed in. Our bikes were fit so that we were in the middle of the reach column and on the mid/low end of the stack column. If it says you need 3x5mm spacer, you need 1x5mm and 1x10mm. They only send 1x5mm and several 10mm spacers.

- If you are NOT sure of your fit, especially the stack, there are a few things you can do...but Damon and Co. might not approve of the latter one. For both bars, you can use normal spacers under the bar so that you can run a bit more brake line and then cut it 1x when you have the height dialed in. If you run through the aero spacers, you have to cut the end of the line every time you change the height. IF you have a way to adjust the star nut in the fork and you are using the low bar, you 'could' run spacers above the top of the built-in stem as well. If you are using the high bar, you won't be able to do this. BUT, you will have to cut the fork and lower the star nut IF you want to drop the bars because there can't be any fork above the top of the stem to fit the stem cap on the whole assembly. That might not make sense upon reading. The stem/bar combo is structural in that it presses the bearings into the headset.

Having built up a couple, there are a couple of things that would be 'nicer' with the bars, which is a 3T product. The first is to have the compression style bar mounts be a bit shorter in reach. With Amy's bike we had the s-bends cut as short as possible to get the reach to the bar tip correct. Even then, it was almost too long. With ski-bends, no issue. If you want 'tilt' then you may have to sort out a different set of extensions to manipulate your hand height. She is using HED Lazy-S extensions to get a different hand position. The Tri-Rig gamma ones might also give some more adjustability. Just a bit of food for thought. Lastly, a 'slit' in the aero spacers might also be 'cool' so you can remove spacers w/o cutting the cables.

Brandon Marsh - Website | @BrandonMarshTX | RokaSports | 1stEndurance | ATC Bikeshop |
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [MaxApp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
it was at the shop here apparently
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yeah, the info supplied to me was 420mm, but the stack could be an issue, just not an issue for me

edit: after further review and discussions with MTM, stack is an issue
Last edited by: jeffp: Dec 9, 12 9:04
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [-BrandonMarshTX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the info. Nice to hear from someone having build a P5.

I plan on using the BB30 Red Quarq which should be BBRight compatible, so I hope I don't run into problems in that regard.

I think I found a picture of what seems to be the X-Lo bar: http://triathlon.competitor.com/.../attachment/_dsc8993

I can see that it seems like you could actually leave the top cap off and just let the steerer tube stick up if you're not using the High V configuration. The problems could then be structural integrity (as Damon has mentioned) and, as you mention, the fact that you have to somehow get the integrated stem pushed down on the headset bearings - a normal steerer tube spacer will probably not interface very well with the Aduro.

Do you know how much extra steerer tube (if any) fits inside the integrated stem? E.g. in normal stems if you cut the steerer tube just below the top of the stem you can still move it up maybe 5 mm without the top screw on the side of stem being above the top of the steerer.

I'm aware of the fact that the collets shortens the 'available space' for the extenions to e.g. angle up. Damon posted that there should be about 21.5 cm from the middle of the steerer tube to the end of the collets. The 51 has a reach of 39.7 cm if I remember correctly, so that means the end of the collets will be at 61.2 cm. This likely means I can't use the Lazy-S I use now as they will probably be too long for UCI regs even when inserted as much as they can.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would be a little surprised if she uses the X-low, it looks like the low.

But, to answer...the normal headset spacers will work fine. The issue is re-cutting the steerer tube and re-setting the star nut. You have essentially the same set up as a normal stem. So, if you normally use a 5mm gap, you still can maintain that. The Aduro integrated stem is similar in height to a normal stem...maybe 1-1.25 inches or 30mm or so high. Does that make sense?

Just remember the reach is to the pads. Although HED does not recommend it, you can cut off of both ends of the Lazy-S bars. I cut about 1.5cm off of the shifter end of the extensions. And, I also drilled and filed holes for the Di2 cabling as there are no ports in the bars at this time for internal routing.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Damon, some questions (which my dealer cannot answer).

1. What length Crank arms and stem come on a p5-3 51. My LBS said that the P5-3 Red, 51cm's might come with appropriately sized, smaller crank arms - i.e. 165mm, can you confirm?
  2. Can a FK26 fit in a P5, or a 3t Funda?
  3. Is the FK37 available to buy?

I would like to buy a p5-6 and swap in a spare fork for a UCI event.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [notaero] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi not,

After your P5 you might have to change your user name. ;-)

1. 80mm stem & 167.5mm cranks.
For reference, the other sizes are as follows:
Frame Sizes: 48 & 51, 54 & 56, 58 & 61cm
Stems: 80, 90, 100mm
Cranks: 167.5, 170, 172.5mm
Specifications subject to change, etc., etc.

2. Nope. The frame's steerer stop pin interferes.

3. Yep. Check with your Cervelo retailer for pricing and availability.

Have a good weekend,

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Damon,

I'm trying to figure out what size P5 to order. Here are some of my measurements:
  • Last season bike (P2) armpad stack/reach: 645/490mm
  • Previous 5 seasons bike armpad stack/reach: 662/536mm
  • Bikefit stack/reach recommendation: 565/432mm
  • Other Bikefit measurements: saddle height 785mm, drop 105mm, crank length 175mm
  • 185cm tall, inseam 86,5cm, 73kg
  • no physical problems/limitations
One good guess would be 58cm with Low setup because the stack suggested by previous bikes would put me in the mid-range of 58 Low stacks achievable with spacers. On the other hand, 56cm High-V would most likely allow a setup without spacers and 56cm would offer even more room to drop armpads lower (with Low setup/spacers) for better aero if my body agrees.

What would you pick for me?

Others are welcome to offer insights too, of course! :)
Last edited by: hgv: Oct 15, 12 2:55
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A couple images at Tririg.com's Kona 2012 image gallery caught my eye.

http://www.tririg.com/...Kona_Expo&num=18
http://www.tririg.com/...Kona_Expo&num=17

First of all, the editor's comment: "...I saw several P5's in this configuration, with the top (brake fairing) piece missing. Maybe there's an issue with that piece falling off, or being difficult to keep in place..." is a bit troubling. Can anyone confirm if that actually is the case or offer an alternative theory?

Second, what's up with the brake fairings in these images? They look pretty hideous. Like they were third party add ons, or something. Unpainted, matte plastic. :(
Last edited by: hgv: Oct 14, 12 23:40
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [hgv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi hgv,

I wasn't in Kona this year so I don't know what the story is with that particlar P5. This year we provided free service for Cervelo owners (including some spare parts), so any scenario seems possible.

I'm speculating that perhaps this athlete decided to add on the brake covers (why not, if they're free?). Could be we only had satin (not gloss) by the time this bike was serviced. Maybe they didn't want to mess with disconnecting the hydraulic hose so close to race day to include the top part? Possibly they'll take that home and install it later.

Nick's opinion (great photos by the way!) is also a good solution: stick with the P5-three if you like the look of the P5 without the fairings (and can live without the Aduro bar). Or install a Tri-rig mechanical brake. We intentionally designed the P5 to accept as many standard as possible so you have free choice here.

Cheers,

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Damon,
I got a P5-3 frameset as a warranty replacement for my P4 and was told that a "P5-6 upgrade kit" would be available at a later date (november) that would include the Aduro bars, hydraulic brakes, and new fork. Any info on this?

"Oh you hate your job? There's a support group for that, it's called EVERYBODY and they meet at the bar."
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [bikerbrian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi brian,

Love your sig! Even though I don't drink. And even though I have my dream job! Ha ha.

We're finalizing specs on the P5-three to P5-six upgrade kit in the next two weeks. Should be up on the web site shortly after that. I can tell you that right now we're planning to offer the Magura RT brakes (including aero brake covers), P5-six fork (fork & covers have a matching satin clear coat finish) and Aduro aero bar (gloss clear coat). Parts are in stock now, and should be available to your Cervelo retailer as soon as it's on our web site.

Cheers,

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
Quote Reply

Prev Next