Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The Rise Of Eye Of The Tiger Music In Triathlons [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:
We had the same conversation last night! I told my 12 year old “ I think it’s time you watch Rocky,” he replied with, “yeah, probably so.”

She's seen: Rocky, II, III, Rocky Balboa, and both Creeds, so she's got it pretty good

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: The Rise Of Eye Of The Tiger Music In Triathlons [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
ajthomas wrote:
We had the same conversation last night! I told my 12 year old “ I think it’s time you watch Rocky,” he replied with, “yeah, probably so.”

She's seen: Rocky, II, III, Rocky Balboa, and both Creeds, so she's got it pretty good

This thread is 18 years old....it is older than facebook, or whatsapp, or instagram, or or or !!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just a general reply... This thread is gold.

As someone who may be responsible for event music in the not-too-far-future, I'm paying attention to this subject. EOT: no bueno. Got it. As a child of the 80's, I'm pop-challenged, and rap-phobic.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

https://triomultisport.com/
http://www.mjolnircycles.com/
Quote Reply
Re: The Rise Of Eye Of The Tiger Music In Triathlons [brider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Might be fun to start a new thread on what folks would like to hear at triathlon events.

I always thought we should have the Game of Thrones theme blaring as we enter an Ironman swim. Good music as we enter the swim "battle" :-)

Death is easy....peaceful. Life is harder.
Last edited by: Triingtotrain: Nov 4, 22 8:18
Quote Reply
Re: The Rise Of Eye Of The Tiger Music In Triathlons [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
This thread is 18 years old....it is older than facebook, or whatsapp, or instagram, or or or !!!

Or YouTube or Spotify

Quote Reply
Re: The Rise Of Eye Of The Tiger Music In Triathlons [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

It's funny when you think about it that way!

Even the way we ACCESS and listen to music has totally changed in those 18 years! Even just in the last two years. BEFORE the pandemic, I was still in the having hard-copy MP3 files stored as my way of accessing Music Lists that I would play at Races/Events that I was Announcing at. In the ensuing 2 years, everything went into the Cloud be it iTunes or Spotify - the two big services - so all those Mp3 files I had, while not useless, only worked now if they were part of the iTunes ecosystem! Anything that I had burned, or copied from CD's or elsewhere - gone!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: The Rise Of Eye Of The Tiger Music In Triathlons [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Post them on SoundCloud? Mixcloud? Maybe?

There plenty of others apps/platforms you can run your MP3s through

And probably free, too

You just need to access your Inner Pirate/DIY Punk Rocker

Last edited by: RandMart: Nov 4, 22 10:15
Quote Reply
Re: The Rise Of Eye Of The Tiger Music In Triathlons [mistergomez] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I get fired up on Weird Al Yankovic's version!

The Rye or the Kaiser -
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:

It's funny when you think about it that way!

Even the way we ACCESS and listen to music has totally changed in those 18 years! Even just in the last two years. BEFORE the pandemic, I was still in the having hard-copy MP3 files stored as my way of accessing Music Lists that I would play at Races/Events that I was Announcing at. In the ensuing 2 years, everything went into the Cloud be it iTunes or Spotify - the two big services - so all those Mp3 files I had, while not useless, only worked now if they were part of the iTunes ecosystem! Anything that I had burned, or copied from CD's or elsewhere - gone!

If we are not dead, let's put a notification in our calendars for 18 years from now to revive this zombie thread. Will ST forum in this form even exist
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To be fair, although the thread was started in 2004, the post before my "re-awakening" due to the Phillies was dated 2015

Quote Reply
Re: The Rise Of Eye Of The Tiger Music In Triathlons [mistergomez] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have NOT read the thread yet.

But.

Thank you.

And yes, as a race announcer (you know where).

GUILTY as charged and somewhat repentant.

If you will indulge me, as penance, I have a great story to tell about Andrew Pratt.

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just replying to the last message, not to a particular message.

I didn't think of the Eye of the Tiger song too much, but it is now for me a symbol of the "good ol' days" of racing and is part of my FTP test play list! Early in my tri racing, at my first Wildflower, someone was blasting it from their car parked on the side of the first climb out from the lake. I get goose bumps when thinking about that moment: young and carefree, rising sun, out of the saddle hammering into the awesome world of triathlon:)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Let us not forget, while the NYC marathon kicks off, that it's de facto theme song came from an absolute shit show of a movie, directed by Martin Scorsese, of all people

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Let us not forget, while the NYC marathon kicks off, that it's de facto theme song came from an absolute shit show of a movie, directed by Martin Scorsese, of all people

But you would not play that at an Endurance Sports Race/Event!!

When I think of NYC I think of Jay-Z's "Empire State of Mind" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vk6014HuxcE

Been on my Race/Event Announcing play list for a while! (Clean Version!)

Last edited by: Fleck: Nov 7, 22 11:10
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think it's a LAW that "New York, New York" must be played before any sporting event in NYC, much like "Eye Of The Tiger" or "Gonna Fly Now" must be played in Philly, or Alan Parsons's "Sirius" must be played in Chicago

At least NYC and CHI only play it once, then move on, whereas we must've heard all that Rocky crap [including the bell] a hundred times during the World Series - and for that, I sincerely apologize

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey no jokes allowed about Sirius. That was what played on my Sony Walkman before I hit the starting blocks at track meets in 1982/83. Sirius is off limits. Carry on with the rest of this!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry, Dev --- I didn't know you're from Chicago LOL

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lol. This thread.

I have been to a lot of triathlons, and something that I kept noticing was.......Coldplay. Why always Coldplay? God, I hate them.

But perhaps that should be another thread.

I only swim.
I used to run. (31:09 10k)
I never did Triathlon.
Sue me.
Quote Reply
Re: The Rise Of "Eye Of The Tiger" Music In Triathlons [Skuj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any specific song that comes to mind? I know a little about music; maybe we can figure it out?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Hey no jokes allowed about Sirius. That was what played on my Sony Walkman before I hit the starting blocks at track meets in 1982/83. Sirius is off limits. Carry on with the rest of this!!!

Man - that takes me back. I didn't know the name of this song, but that album is giving me serious high school flashbacks. Gotta love that we live in an age when I can listen to essentially any song ever widely released by yelling at she-who-shall-not-be-named.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sweet Caroline, is now a rugby Anthem.

But it's a Red Sox song and well, I hate the Red Sox. I also cringed everytime we played it during then8th at VMI and again when I went to games at ASU.🤷‍♂️

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: The Rise Of Eye Of The Tiger Music In Triathlons [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:

One of the creepiest songs ever

If I were putting a playlist specifically for an endurance in event Boston, I might start with

"Don't Look Back" - Boston
"Sweet Emotion" - Aerosmith*
"Roadrunner" - Jonathan Richman/Modern Lovers
"Let The Good Times Roll" - The Cars

* I have "No More No More" on my post-run playlist

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I start every single morning with this version of Eye of the Tiger.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAXXQiB_xpo
Quote Reply
Re: The Rise Of Eye Of The Tiger Music In Triathlons [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:

But it's a Red Sox song and well, I hate the Red Sox. I also cringed everytime we played it during then8th at VMI and again when I went to games at ASU.🤷‍♂️

Best moment in baseball a sport most of the world doesn't really understand was that Rick rolled moment by the padres.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qDs7KkGcQ6M

Commonwealth countries we wonder why USA plays rock and roll part 2 by Gary glitter in so many sports and TV shows. Good song yeah but errrrr yeah. Teenage girl sports even. Bizarre.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Nras3c8r45k
Quote Reply
Re: The Rise Of Eye Of The Tiger Music In Triathlons [Skuj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have been to a lot of triathlons, and something that I kept noticing was.......Coldplay. Why always Coldplay? God, I hate them.

I have an over 16 hour play-list of select music that I play when I am Announcing. I typically just put it on shuffle and let it go, for however long I am on the mic at a Race/Event.

. . but I don't think I have one Coldplay tune . . . . wait I just remembered I do have the Coldplay-Chainsmokers collaboration, "Something Just Like This" in there somewhere! Does that count/not-count?

Quote Reply

Prev Next