Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The Rise Of Eye Of The Tiger Music In Triathlons [teekona] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
teekona wrote:
"running up the Philly capitol"

Those steps belong to the Philadelphia Art Museum, BTW.. there is no capitol of Philadelphia. It's a city.

There is even a rocky statue there (adjacent to the steps).

Ironman Certified Coach

Currently accepting limited number of new athletes
Quote Reply
Re: The Rise Of Eye Of The Tiger Music In Triathlons [bufit323] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bufit323 wrote:
teekona wrote:

Those steps belong to the Philadelphia Art Museum, BTW.. there is no capitol of Philadelphia. It's a city.

I was going to tell you that was inaccurate, that it was only there for the movie Rocky III, and it was at the Spectrum. We used to always meet people at the Rocky Statue, which was a poor choice, since EVERYONE met their friends at the Rocky Statue. I just looked it up to see where it went after they closed the Spectrum.

Wouldn't you know it, they actually did take the statue back to the Art Museum in 2006. I can't believe I didn't know that. It has been a few years since I've been in Philly, something I need to rectify soon.

I have always wondered what it's like to have an office with a view of the steps. How many tourists per day run up and bounce around with their arms in the air? (I know I did it.) I would love to see a website of videos called "rocky steps FAIL" where people either trip, or can't run all the way up, or run into each other.

===================================
I'll tell you all right now, my seat is too low, I'm not aero and I carry too much fluid on the bike.
Quote Reply
Re: The Rise Of Eye Of The Tiger Music In Triathlons [RunFatboyRun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RunFatboyRun wrote:
bufit323 wrote:
teekona wrote:

I was going to tell you that was inaccurate, that it was only there for the movie Rocky III, and it was at the Spectrum. We used to always meet people at the Rocky Statue, which was a poor choice, since EVERYONE met their friends at the Rocky Statue. I just looked it up to see where it went after they closed the Spectrum.

Wouldn't you know it, they actually did take the statue back to the Art Museum in 2006. I can't believe I didn't know that. It has been a few years since I've been in Philly, something I need to rectify soon.

I have always wondered what it's like to have an office with a view of the steps. How many tourists per day run up and bounce around with their arms in the air? (I know I did it.) I would love to see a website of videos called "rocky steps FAIL" where people either trip, or can't run all the way up, or run into each other.

I have a video of one of my jackass friends doing it. It wasn't a fail or anything, just a 30 year old over weight dude sprinting up the steps. I had hoped to get something epic on the video (like him stiff arming a kid on the way up or something) but no luck.

I forget the last time I was in Philly, but it must have been after 2006. What I was surprised by is the size of the statue. In the movie, it seems enormous, but out there on the grounds, it is almost life sized.

Ironman Certified Coach

Currently accepting limited number of new athletes
Quote Reply
Re: The Rise Of Eye Of The Tiger Music In Triathlons [mistergomez] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I get to play a lot of music at events including triathlons but have only played Eye of the Tiger once. That was in Kona by request. I like the song but it seems a little cliche.
Quote Reply
Re: The Rise Of Eye Of The Tiger Music In Triathlons [mistergomez] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It gets me pumped......REAL pumped and anxious when the blasting music drowns out the last minute announcements relegating them to the audio clarity of an adult in a Charlie Brown special......... I think there is a link to medical emergencies in the swim.
Quote Reply
Re: The Rise Of Eye Of The Tiger Music In Triathlons [RunFatboyRun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you were to actually retrace Rocky's steps [so to speak] from the Rocky II video [for example] your route would be

Rocky II
Start: 2313 S. Lambert Street http://www.themoviemap.com/...ns/rr/rocky-ii-1979/
Conrail Tracks w/SEPTA Bridge Kensington http://www.citypaper.net/...seen-in-Rocky-2.html
Italian Market
Bridge at B St. & Tusculum [back in Kensington]
Kelly Drive
Chestnut Street
Independence Mall
Logan Circle
Parkway
Art Museum

It would be about 25-30 miles
http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/139685261

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: The Rise Of Eye Of The Tiger Music In Triathlons [randymar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's awesome. It looks like you actually did the map yourself, since I can't click through that link and get past your profile. Set it for "public." I would love to put up a link to that.

I lived in Philadelphia for a couple of years. I never knew every one of those spots, but knew enough to know that was a very very long run. I couldn't drive down by Boathouse Row without looking for someone running while pulling an old man on a bike.

randymar wrote:
If you were to actually retrace Rocky's steps [so to speak] from the Rocky II video [for example] your route would be

Rocky II
Start: 2313 S. Lambert Street http://www.themoviemap.com/...ns/rr/rocky-ii-1979/
Conrail Tracks w/SEPTA Bridge Kensington http://www.citypaper.net/...seen-in-Rocky-2.html
Italian Market
Bridge at B St. & Tusculum [back in Kensington]
Kelly Drive
Chestnut Street
Independence Mall
Logan Circle
Parkway
Art Museum

It would be about 25-30 miles
http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/139685261

I'll tell you all right now, my seat is too low, I'm not aero and I carry too much fluid on the bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RunFatboyRun wrote:
That's awesome. It looks like you actually did the map yourself, since I can't click through that link and get past your profile. Set it for "public." I would love to put up a link to that

Sorry about that, I think it's fixed now

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RunFatboyRun wrote:
I never knew every one of those spots, but knew enough to know that was a very very long run

The train tracks threw me ... If you read the City Paper link, they've changed a lot since then

The bridge with the kids has since been rebuilt and doesn't look like that anymore

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
randymar wrote:
RunFatboyRun wrote:
That's awesome. It looks like you actually did the map yourself, since I can't click through that link and get past your profile. Set it for "public." I would love to put up a link to that

Yes it is, I can see it now.

Now I have this crazy idea about recreating the run, just to do it. I wonder if anyone has.

If someone drew up a route that included all the shots they used, but not necessarily in order, you might have an interesting novelty run. Philly already has a big marathon, and the 10 mile Broad St run. Why not a Rocky recreation? It would probably have the same reaction as the first 5 boroughs NYC marathon. But it could become a pretty cool thing. Except for the haters. But haters are always gonna hate, yo.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RunFatboyRun wrote:
randymar wrote:
RunFatboyRun wrote:

Yes it is, I can see it now.

Now I have this crazy idea about recreating the run, just to do it. I wonder if anyone has.

If someone drew up a route that included all the shots they used, but not necessarily in order, you might have an interesting novelty run. Philly already has a big marathon, and the 10 mile Broad St run. Why not a Rocky recreation? It would probably have the same reaction as the first 5 boroughs NYC marathon. But it could become a pretty cool thing. Except for the haters. But haters are always gonna hate, yo.

There was a Rocky Run 10K, if memory serves me correctly ... lots of folks in grey sweats, hoodies & Chucks running up & down the Parkway

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
randymarIt would be about 25-30 miles [url wrote:
http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/139685261[/url]

It occurred to me that it would REALLY be even more than that, because even after running up the Art Museum steps, he STILL has to get home!!!

And yeah, I'm gonna map out the two runs from Rocky, as well, you can be certain

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
...let me get this straight? I revived an 8 year old thread in an effort to kill Eye of the Tiger music at events.

Now you guys are planning an entire event based on Eye of the Tiger/Rocky.

Will this be WADA sanctioned, or is there a "full doped Stallone division"?

Will there be fundraising for any charities?
Quote Reply
Re: The Rise Of Eye Of The Tiger Music In Triathlons [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
...let me get this straight? I revived an 8 year old thread in an effort to kill Eye of the Tiger music at events.

No. We're looking STRICTLY at Rocky & Rocky II; "Eye of the Tiger" was Rocky III

Quote Reply
Re: The Rise Of Eye Of The Tiger Music In Triathlons [CTL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lol @ donating a statue of yourself AND then having it refused

CTL wrote:
Rocky does not run up the steps of the Philadelphia Capitol; there is no such thing. He is running up the steps of the Philadelphia Art Museum. True story: he donated a statue of himself as Rocky to the Museum and they initially tried to refuse it. I am not sure why; the Museum itself has plenty of garbage in it. Most of the second floor was devoted to modern "art", like a circle of rocks on the floor, the last time I was there. The statue was eventually moved to the Spectrum, I think, with a great deal of difficulty.

It's actually a pretty good length run from South Philly where he is supposed to live to the Art Museum and back. The Art Museum steps themselves, however, are not very hard because they are neither steep nor that many, but it is kind of fun to run up them and the view is great from the top.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Right ! I agree ! I vote for Country Music !! Is that ok with you ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
randymar wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:

No. We're looking STRICTLY at Rocky & Rocky II; "Eye of the Tiger" was Rocky III

Exactly. It's a damn shame that so few people know their history these days.

Quote Reply
Re: The Rise Of Eye Of The Tiger Music In Triathlons [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll take eye of the tiger over chariots of fire

but really, we should just make the switch to "push it to the limit" from scarface and be done with it

Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:

Will this be WADA sanctioned, or is there a "full doped Stallone division"?

Will there be fundraising for any charities?

He was just having a conversation with himself. It took him 8 years to find an appropriate response to his other personality.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you want to get fired up......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQUeQOIlcDM
Quote Reply
Re: The Rise Of Eye Of The Tiger Music In Triathlons [lacticturkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lacticturkey wrote:
lol @ donating a statue of yourself AND then having it refused

CTL wrote:
Rocky does not run up the steps of the Philadelphia Capitol; there is no such thing. He is running up the steps of the Philadelphia Art Museum. True story: he donated a statue of himself as Rocky to the Museum and they initially tried to refuse it. I am not sure why; the Museum itself has plenty of garbage in it. Most of the second floor was devoted to modern "art", like a circle of rocks on the floor, the last time I was there. The statue was eventually moved to the Spectrum, I think, with a great deal of difficulty.

It's actually a pretty good length run from South Philly where he is supposed to live to the Art Museum and back. The Art Museum steps themselves, however, are not very hard because they are neither steep nor that many, but it is kind of fun to run up them and the view is great from the top.

In the odd world of coincidences, it's been years since I've posted here, years since I've been told someone has responded to one of my posts here and years since I have heard Eye of the Tiger. But, since I heard the song on the radio this morning, all three have happened. Somehow it's not surprising that Dev is still here. The song was still great to here; it reminded me of listening to it on the way to swim practice in the summer of 1982 or so.
Quote Reply
Re: The Rise Of Eye Of The Tiger Music In Triathlons [CTL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
it has now happened to me. radio, my previous post on another thread, and this thread.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I put Eye of the Tiger, Gonna Fly Now, Chariots of Fire, and this gem (heir apparent to Eye of the Tiger, IMO) in my running playlist. Any time they come on I can't help laughing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBktYJsJq-E
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not going to lie. When I heard it at IMCDA I actually enjoyed it. Especailly on the second loop.
Quote Reply
Re: The Rise Of Eye Of The Tiger Music In Triathlons [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is that your house that plays it at IMCDA?
Quote Reply

Prev Next