Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official Oprah Lance interview live thread [McNulty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
McNulty wrote:
cowardlydragon wrote:
RZ wrote:
Just ran across this today; http://www.guardian.co.uk/...ce-armstrong-cycling

Does anyone know if that exchange (end of article) with Lemond and L.A.'s mother supposedly actually happened? Or did the author just make that up to try to prove some point? This is the first I have ever heard of this.

Armstrong was a child of single mother with a father that willfully disowned him. That subconscious damage runs very deep. Really deep. Mothers are good at caring for children, but without a father to cushion the fundamental sociopathy of general human society (oh, you thought we had a moral, upstanding world out there?), the child learns pretty quickly to distrust everyone.

Inevitably there's a stepfather. That stepfather doesn't care about the child, only cares about the woman and the child is baggage. So the child learns to distrust the motives of even those closest to them. The child trusts nobody. Any shelter and support is conditional, and can be removed at any time.

From these fires can come champions, psychological torture that steels the mind for uncompromising competition. Nobody cares about the child, so he doesn't care about them. Outwork them, outsmart them, and outcheat them, because they will do the very same thing. If there are rules, and they aren't being applied to the enemy, then why should the child follow them? They are just another way of disadvantaging the child, who is already disadvantaged. And the child has had enough of that.

The child learns to form its own code. The laws, customs, culture of the world didn't protect the child growing up. Labels that should have protected the child, like "mother", "father", "guardian", "friend", have been proven to be lies a dozen times over. So what is a true friend? What is true protection? What is loyalty? What is love? What is success?

The child defines its own meanings, rules, signs for those. Usually they are more idealized that what most people practically regard them, since the child did not live them, only knows them in theory, in ideal, without the warts of living them in real life.

This child seems to value trust above all things, and if the trust is violated, a trust given very very carefully, it provokes the vindictiveness that only a childhood of pain and betrayal can provoke. The child sees an enemy worse that any peripheral enemy like "journalist" or anything else. The child sees their father: someone that should have protected him, but instead betrayed him in the worst way.

The child seems vindictive, sensitive to slights, devalues relationships, trusts nobody. The child is competitive, driven, and a very hard worker. The child is desperate and hungry.

The child becomes rich and famous.

The child sees that fame brings an entirely different breed of distrust. Motives of people around him become even more contemptously shallow. They want his money. They want his fame. They want to make money tearing down his fame.

The child sees a system that used to protect the dopers (if they were European dopers) but doesn't now that the doper is him. The child sees a sport that was organized around team doping and doping culture for decades, the sport that he followed the unwritten rules on, be turned against him, now that he is the success. The child only sees a world that is out to get him, when others were not punished. The child sees an unfair world.

Okay, does that excuse his actions or free him from complicity of his sins? Nope.

But I believe that is the psychology of Lance Armstrong. I don't know if that makes him a psychopath (I believe psychopaths are fundamentally born without empathy, not conditioned to reject it as Armstrong's upbringing suggests).

I believe the world is ugly, mean, capitalist, and unfair. The culture values winners at all costs.

Our values produced this man and his career. To lay the blame on him as a "bad apple" rejects the very nature of the society we have constructed and the gladitorial bloodsports we blindly cheer.

Excellent.

Great explanation, totally agree.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Oprah Lance interview live thread [cowardlydragon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cowardlydragon wrote:
RZ wrote:
Just ran across this today; http://www.guardian.co.uk/...ce-armstrong-cycling

Does anyone know if that exchange (end of article) with Lemond and L.A.'s mother supposedly actually happened? Or did the author just make that up to try to prove some point? This is the first I have ever heard of this.

Armstrong was a child of single mother with a father that willfully disowned him. That subconscious damage runs very deep. Really deep. Mothers are good at caring for children, but without a father to cushion the fundamental sociopathy of general human society (oh, you thought we had a moral, upstanding world out there?), the child learns pretty quickly to distrust everyone.

Inevitably there's a stepfather. That stepfather doesn't care about the child, only cares about the woman and the child is baggage. So the child learns to distrust the motives of even those closest to them. The child trusts nobody. Any shelter and support is conditional, and can be removed at any time.

From these fires can come champions, psychological torture that steels the mind for uncompromising competition. Nobody cares about the child, so he doesn't care about them. Outwork them, outsmart them, and outcheat them, because they will do the very same thing. If there are rules, and they aren't being applied to the enemy, then why should the child follow them? They are just another way of disadvantaging the child, who is already disadvantaged. And the child has had enough of that.

The child learns to form its own code. The laws, customs, culture of the world didn't protect the child growing up. Labels that should have protected the child, like "mother", "father", "guardian", "friend", have been proven to be lies a dozen times over. So what is a true friend? What is true protection? What is loyalty? What is love? What is success?

The child defines its own meanings, rules, signs for those. Usually they are more idealized that what most people practically regard them, since the child did not live them, only knows them in theory, in ideal, without the warts of living them in real life.

This child seems to value trust above all things, and if the trust is violated, a trust given very very carefully, it provokes the vindictiveness that only a childhood of pain and betrayal can provoke. The child sees an enemy worse that any peripheral enemy like "journalist" or anything else. The child sees their father: someone that should have protected him, but instead betrayed him in the worst way.

The child seems vindictive, sensitive to slights, devalues relationships, trusts nobody. The child is competitive, driven, and a very hard worker. The child is desperate and hungry.

The child becomes rich and famous.

The child sees that fame brings an entirely different breed of distrust. Motives of people around him become even more contemptously shallow. They want his money. They want his fame. They want to make money tearing down his fame.

The child sees a system that used to protect the dopers (if they were European dopers) but doesn't now that the doper is him. The child sees a sport that was organized around team doping and doping culture for decades, the sport that he followed the unwritten rules on, be turned against him, now that he is the success. The child only sees a world that is out to get him, when others were not punished. The child sees an unfair world.

Okay, does that excuse his actions or free him from complicity of his sins? Nope.

But I believe that is the psychology of Lance Armstrong. I don't know if that makes him a psychopath (I believe psychopaths are fundamentally born without empathy, not conditioned to reject it as Armstrong's upbringing suggests).

I believe the world is ugly, mean, capitalist, and unfair. The culture values winners at all costs.

Our values produced this man and his career. To lay the blame on him as a "bad apple" rejects the very nature of the society we have constructed and the gladitorial bloodsports we blindly cheer.

Reading this post was a good take on the scenario. Much more interesting than the doped 49ers vs. the doped Falcons putting on a freak show beamed into my house. Did humans grow 33% in size since 1975 or is something else at play? OK, carry on with this thread.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Oprah Lance interview live thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok, I take it back. The Atlanta - San Francisco NFL freak show is providing high entertainment value (and likely with a lot of dope). I'm still tuned in. I wonder if Oprah is going to get on the field and ask the boys for a few confessions after the game, or will they wait for 8 years after this game to say they never doped today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The difference is, the NFL/NFLPA doesnt really hide behind the facade of a "doping" program. The NFL nor the NFLPA want nothing to do with a doping program, and only want the bare min requirements. Which is why they've continued to pretty much block following any real WADA approved program, and they certainly have that right to, because it's a private run business, and a damn successful one at that. It's actually a great business strategy, where as cycling/tri/track have a more stringent code they have to follow.

ETA: I've never once heard in my life from an NFL/NBA athlete, "I'm a clean athlete", as I think they pretty much all accept that doping is apart of the program, but everyone is seemingly willing to be ok with that (team mangament, NFL mang. and players). Whereas in cycling, it's like everyone wants to accept doping, but then they are still held to this higher standard of controls, so they are in limbo with how to really deal with doping problems.

------------------
@brooksdoughtie
USAT-L2,Y&J; USAC-L2
http://www.aomultisport.com
Last edited by: BDoughtie: Jan 20, 13 14:13
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just look at how people deal with doping. You dope in cycling and you become scum of the earth. You dope in an US based pro sport, and you catch 1 day of flack and then your back before you know it. It's as if its an honor because they were doing it to "help" the team. US fans just don't really care, and I don't even think they care about it in cycling. But because its held to a higher standard, the actual doping stains the sport more. It's almost it's own worse enemy.

------------------
@brooksdoughtie
USAT-L2,Y&J; USAC-L2
http://www.aomultisport.com
Quote Reply
Re: Official Oprah Lance interview live thread [BDoughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BDoughtie wrote:
The difference is, the NFL/NFLPA doesnt really hide behind the facade of a "doping" program. The NFL nor the NFLPA want nothing to do with a doping program, and only want the bare min requirements. Which is why they've continued to pretty much block following any real WADA approved program, and they certainly have that right to, because it's a private run business, and a damn successful one at that. It's actually a great business strategy, where as cycling/tri/track have a more stringent code they have to follow.

ETA: I've never once heard in my life from an NFL/NBA athlete, "I'm a clean athlete", as I think they pretty much all accept that doping is apart of the program, but everyone is seemingly willing to be ok with that (team mangament, NFL mang. and players). Whereas in cycling, it's like everyone wants to accept doping, but then they are still held to this higher standard of controls, so they are in limbo with how to really deal with doping problems.

I bet the UCI guys are no better than the NFL guys. The only problem is that cycling is in the Olympics and the UCI needs the Olympics for track cycling, mountain biking etc. Road cycling does not need the Olympics. So the UCI wants NFL like "feats of strength" in road cycling, and turns a blind eye to doping. The only way this mess will be cleaned up is when entire teams get banned for doping along with management. That will change the entire dynamic. Right now, going after the Gladiators in the Coliseum is great. Throw the gladiators under the bus, because they are replaceable....we'll have a new champion tomorrow. Meanwhile the guys charging tickets at the Coliseum entrance keep making money because of the spectacle that the fans view. Seems like not much has changed in 2000 years.

If the UCI did not need the Olympics I am sure they would be glad to do like the NFL (in fact, they are doing like the NFL, just doing it under the table). Now this fame is getting good...SF is finally up!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BDoughtie wrote:
Just look at how people deal with doping. You dope in cycling and you become scum of the earth. You dope in an US based pro sport, and you catch 1 day of flack and then your back before you know it. It's as if its an honor because they were doing it to "help" the team. US fans just don't really care, and I don't even think they care about it in cycling. But because its held to a higher standard, the actual doping stains the sport more. It's almost it's own worse enemy.

Yes and no. I think it's more of an individual sport thing. Yes cycling is a team sport, but the winner it is awarded as an individual. Take baseball. No big deal as far as team record. but when it comes to the home run record people in baseball REALLY care.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Oprah Lance interview live thread [J_R] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
J_R wrote:
BDoughtie wrote:

Yes and no. I think it's more of an individual sport thing. Yes cycling is a team sport, but the winner it is awarded as an individual. Take baseball. No big deal as far as team record. but when it comes to the home run record people in baseball REALLY care.
+1. Melky Cabrera's suspension this year was reported to cost him on the order of $50M. Not exactly a slap on the wrist.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Oprah Lance interview live thread [gregf83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Melky issue goes even deeper. It is rumored that the Yankees got rid of him during the previous year because he was a bad influence on Robi Cano.

What I do: http://app.strava.com/athletes/345699
Quote Reply
Re: Official Oprah Lance interview live thread [J_R] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
J_R wrote:
BDoughtie wrote:

56, 61, 714>755, .406, 2130, 4192
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BDoughtie wrote:

ETA: I've never once heard in my life from an NFL/NBA athlete, "I'm a clean athlete", as I think they pretty much all accept that doping is apart of the program, but everyone is seemingly willing to be ok with that (team mangament, NFL mang. and players). Whereas in cycling, it's like everyone wants to accept doping, but then they are still held to this higher standard of controls, so they are in limbo with how to really deal with doping problems.[/quote

Right because sadly people value their gambling based entertainment over the health and wellness of the entertainers. There are a ton of ways to make football safer, rpolong careers and still have great catches, awesome throws and last minute heroics. reducing steroids would be one them. decreased mass and speed would reduce power of impacts in hits. Further, all the stress on joints from over developed muscles has to increase risk of strcutural damage. Even if linemen were 25% smaller and everyone was 15% slower, it;d stikll be a great game, even more compelling to watch IMO. Of course I hardly watch it now as it is because of the dope. And I sure as shit hope the 49ers win so the murderer doesnt get further portrayed as a "hero" if the Ravens win.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Oprah Lance interview live thread [gildasd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gildasd wrote:
Recoverie wrote:
Wow, and the French are going to have a field day with this.

Why should we hate him? He learnt the language, trained here, ate our food and appreciated our fine wines and finer women.
European fans at large tend to be educated about cycling, and it pains us to see a great talent, a guy who could have made quite a few firsts on one day classics, throw it away for tainted glory.
Most people here tend to agree that Armstrong, however bad he was at times, is just the symptom of a disease at the top of the UCI.

G

I agree with you that this issue with LA is just a symptom. This is bigger than him. He just happened to be in the limelight and is one of the most recognized cyclists in the U.S. It's really sad. I hope the best for him and others who have been affected by this scandal.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Oprah Lance interview live thread [Recoverie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Official Oprah Lance interview live thread [jager66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Wow, that is pretty funny.
(good to find some humor in a sad situation ... )

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: Official Oprah Lance interview live thread [pick6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pick6 wrote:
BDoughtie wrote:

ETA: I've never once heard in my life from an NFL/NBA athlete, "I'm a clean athlete", as I think they pretty much all accept that doping is apart of the program, but everyone is seemingly willing to be ok with that (team mangament, NFL mang. and players). Whereas in cycling, it's like everyone wants to accept doping, but then they are still held to this higher standard of controls, so they are in limbo with how to really deal with doping problems.[/quote

Right because sadly people value their gambling based entertainment over the health and wellness of the entertainers. There are a ton of ways to make football safer, rpolong careers and still have great catches, awesome throws and last minute heroics. reducing steroids would be one them. decreased mass and speed would reduce power of impacts in hits. Further, all the stress on joints from over developed muscles has to increase risk of strcutural damage. Even if linemen were 25% smaller and everyone was 15% slower, it;d still be a great game, even more compelling to watch IMO. Of course I hardly watch it now as it is because of the dope. And I sure as shit hope the 49ers win so the murderer doesnt get further portrayed as a "hero" if the Ravens win.

A big YES to everything in bold. Likewise, the tour de France would be equally exciting if everyone climbed Alpe d'Huez in 45-50 minutes....in the end the entertainment value is relative to the players on the field, not the absolute performance. As for the last line after the part in bold, we are in agreement. I have difficulty watching the post game interviews after the Ravens win.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
does anyone know if this springs world baseball classic tournament will use tougher standards? mlb players will be filling most rosters
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well done! :)

------------------------------
Another IM in 2016 - hopefully..
Quote Reply
Re: Official Oprah Lance interview live thread [JollyRogers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JollyRogers wrote:
YaHey wrote:
sdmike wrote:
1999 Samples question:

Aside from Lances samples, was it ever revealed how many or what percentage of sample where positive. Not necessarily names, just quantity?

I undestood from all this that Lance never actually tested positive for any substance. It was the biological passport that basically stated his elevated blood levels were indicative of cheating, probably moer along the line of blood transfussion than EPO. It was the testimony along with causal evidence that did him in - not a smoking gun drug test.

Cortisone. LA finally admitted that the prescription was backdated

When did that happen because on Oprah he denied it still
Quote Reply
Re: Official Oprah Lance interview live thread [Runguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Runguy wrote:
JollyRogers wrote:
YaHey wrote:
sdmike wrote:
1999 Samples question:

Aside from Lances samples, was it ever revealed how many or what percentage of sample where positive. Not necessarily names, just quantity?

I undestood from all this that Lance never actually tested positive for any substance. It was the biological passport that basically stated his elevated blood levels were indicative of cheating, probably moer along the line of blood transfussion than EPO. It was the testimony along with causal evidence that did him in - not a smoking gun drug test.

Cortisone. LA finally admitted that the prescription was backdated

When did that happen because on Oprah he denied it still

no he did not.

Q: What about the story [masseuse] Emma O'Reilly tells about cortisone and you having cortisone backdated - is that true?

A: "That was true."

Q: What do you want to say about Emma O'Reilly? You sued her?

A: "Emma O'Reilly is one of these people I have to apologise to. We ran over her, we bullied her."
Quote Reply
Re: Official Oprah Lance interview live thread [SayHey Kid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
is that part of the transcript from the interview?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Oprah Lance interview live thread [Runguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Runguy wrote:
is that part of the transcript from the interview?

It was on TV
Quote Reply
Re: Official Oprah Lance interview live thread [TxDude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ok, I just watched that confession
Quote Reply
Re: Official Oprah Lance interview live thread [azironman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
azironman wrote:
does anyone know if this springs world baseball classic tournament will use tougher standards? mlb players will be filling most rosters

MLB just agreed to HGH in season testing for 2013, and I believe the WBC has more stringent anti-doping but im still looking. I know in the general rules they talk about anti-doping violations, but I still am researching.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Oprah Lance interview live thread [SayHey Kid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He said she got run over, not I or we ran her over. A subtle, but distinct, difference.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another humorous take on the interview, this one courtesy of Conan and company: http://teamcoco.com/...-armstrong-interview.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I don't know if God exists, but it would be better for His reputation if He didn't." Jules Renard (1864 - 1910)
Quote Reply

Prev Next