Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: RALEIGH 70.3 [LifeTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Best way to view the situation, but definitely going to be passing lots of people on bike and run.
Now, if we can only get a wetsuit legal swim!
Quote Reply
Re: RALEIGH 70.3 [MikeM126] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am somewhat with you there. If its going to be WSL I want the water to be about 68 degrees.

Overheating is a real thing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wave 6.

I will try to locate the right side of the road on the bike. Please say ā€œhiā€ when all you young ā€˜ens come screaming by.
Quote Reply
Re: RALEIGH 70.3 [DA_Lippy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wave 5 here. SO many people are going to be swimming past me. I'll try to stay out of the way.

Don't drown. Don't crash. Don't walk.
Quote Reply
Re: RALEIGH 70.3 [cestmoi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Non wetsuit swim. I really like the course. I hope is super hot/windy. Sorry but Ironman has to stop looking to make easy courses. Good luck.
Quote Reply
Re: RALEIGH 70.3 [rwurbina] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Almost a week out!

First time doing this course, so I have nothing to compare 2018 course to for years past. Any experienced advice you all feel like sharing and tips/tricks?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stay cool at the aid stations by grabbing ice and putting it in your chest. Throw cold water over your head. It's going to be hot. I've done the race every year since 2013.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: RALEIGH 70.3 [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I talked to a guy last night when at the pool. He mentioned that he will be carrying ziplock bags with him to fill with water and ice at the aid stations on the run.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's a bit much. The run will be shaded. The old course was just nasty hot.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Appreciate it! Any tips for bike?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't over bike the first 40 miles. The last 16 are hilly.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are they going to put us on the greenway, and if so is that the part where it's a mother of a climb?
Quote Reply
Re: RALEIGH 70.3 [TriathlonJoe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The bike course climbing is on Lake Wheeler as you head back into downtown Raleigh. It's tough. There is another hill that is steep as you get through Holly Springs.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm sorry. I should have clarified. I meant on the run. I'm okay with the bike course. I actually like those climbs at the end.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've only ran on part of the run course. The elevation map doesn't look bad. It should be a fast run.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes to greenway...no to any "mother of all climbs" on the run. It's going to be rolly and tight and not much fun though. I don't think it's going to be a fast run course by any means, and imo much slower than what past Raleigh run courses were that went down the main road.....except I think there will be more shade because several sections of the greenway have a lot of tree overgrowth, almost a very "mossy" feel to it.

I had Bryan do a run on it last week for final race prep. It's not really going to be a fun course. To me this is sorta putting Raleigh 70.3 out of it's misery with this course. Imo not going to be a fun day on the run, I just think they are totally "finding miles" the best they can. To be fair there is a lot of construction on the previous run area, so I get it.

I just think it's kinda mind boggling what that venue has now become.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: RALEIGH 70.3 [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
what % would you say is on the greenway?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you look at the map, "Rocky Branch Trail" is the greenway. Hunt Drive is false flat uphill 2 lane road going away from the greenway. If I'm correct, if you look at the map, the greenway runs all along "Western Blvd"...Although if yall cross Western Blvd, I'm not sure how they'll keep that open, so maybe just maybe yall can run on that road and not all the greenway but based on the maps, it looks like it's accessing Rocky Branch which is the greenway.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: May 24, 18 10:58
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you are making this sound worse and worse. wave 15 swim...bike through everyone until the climbs. Off the bike and trying to run mid to low 6 min pace...but probably wont be able to because there will be so many people in the way on a narrow course?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Welcome to Raleigh!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds right. But you forgot to mention how hot it will be. And the wind usually gets worse as the day goes on.

Don't drown. Don't crash. Don't walk.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I dont think it'll be that bad, I just think it's kinda crazy what has become of this event. It's actually a damn good/fair course, just chicken shit ending, that's all.

But pointing out that the run is going to be for likely majority on parts of what a 8 foot wide greenway. Whether you have to dodge and weave I guess will depend on when and where you are on the course (of course it's a 2 lap run so yeah....).

I don't think it'll be that bad, what it's *only* got less than 2k people signed up for it. That's a ghost town for IM standards I think.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yeah, from a high of 1900 in 14/15 to 1400 last year. I'd be surprised if there's more than that this year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriathlonJoe wrote:
yeah, from a high of 1900 in 14/15 to 1400 last year. I'd be surprised if there's more than that this year.

According to Sports Stats:

1780 participants in 2013
1978 participants in 2014
2156 participants in 2015
1732 participants in 2016
1750 participants in 2017

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: RALEIGH 70.3 [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oh cool. I was going by my favorite website The Obsessed Triathlete.
Quote Reply

Prev Next