Prev Next
Re: RALEIGH 70.3 [thechromedome] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
3 weeks to the race day
would you guess a non-wetsuit?
Quote Reply
Re: RALEIGH 70.3 [Plissken74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes. Water temp was reported as being 71 degrees on Wednesday. I have no doubt it will be non wetsuit.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: RALEIGH 70.3 [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
do you have any suggestion where to go riding for 20-50miles during the race week? I will have a rental car and staying downtown. I can drive somewhere if needed. probably not good to start riding from down Raleigh
Quote Reply
Re: RALEIGH 70.3 [Plissken74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why not pick up the race course from beaver creek rd up to (not including) Lake Wheeler? Those are all country roads that don't see heavy traffic during the day.
Quote Reply
Re: RALEIGH 70.3 [cestmoi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Water temp is showing 77 degrees as of today.

Saw some comments on facebook about the high level of Jordan lake and the possibility of flooding near transition. Anyone have any first hand knowledge or specifics? Looks like tomorrow will rain a bunch more and then a few dry days until some more rain saturday and sunday.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to the fun on that run....... can't wait....

blog
Quote Reply
Re: RALEIGH 70.3 [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:

Saw some comments on facebook about the high level of Jordan lake and the possibility of flooding near transition. Anyone have any first hand knowledge or specifics? Looks like tomorrow will rain a bunch more and then a few dry days until some more rain saturday and sunday.

Yes.....that run.... fun!!!

ETA: Pink? maybe. You decide.

Last edited by: japarker24: May 30, 17 14:52
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Flooding is gone. Jordan lake was warm with a swimskin last week.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did Pinehurst last week water temp there was 81..haven't heard anything about flooding, have a friend up there fishing now, I am just south by Fort Bragg, if I hear anything I will update
Quote Reply
Re: RALEIGH 70.3 [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:
stevej wrote:

The run was really demanding the first year....then they made it easier. Not much to it now.
Quote Reply
Re: RALEIGH 70.3 [Mike Alexander] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mike Alexander wrote:
japarker24 wrote:
stevej wrote:

The run was really demanding the first year....then they made it easier. Not much to it now.

I have finished Raleigh 70.3 every year it has existed (I will not be racing this Year, however). You're right, the first year was brutal. It is easier now, but it is really the heat & humidity that makes that run tough. More so than the topography.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What was the run course the first year?

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Someone local could probably describe better......but basically we ran from transition to a park, with a bunch of turns to get to the park and then we did loops around the park. No shade, several steep climbs...then back to transition on fried legs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just remember the turn around seemed to never ever...ever come into sight that day.
Last edited by: mike s: May 30, 17 18:08
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm local. That run was legendary. Now it's....boring and easier.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1st year you ran all the way to the art museum and that is a bitch of a hill, with I think firefighters were hosing off people at the loop turn around.

Based on weather this week I give it 80% wetsuit legal.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: RALEIGH 70.3 [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes we had to run up the hill Brooks described and run two loops of which 80% was in the blazing sun. Luckily the fireman were there with a large hose. My wife said they arrived about 15 minutes before I came around for the first time. The present run course is not easy but not hard either. The climb to the turnaround is deceiving especially the second time around. But it is extremely easy to the first years course.

This year you will be running through a construction zone for most of the back half of the loop.
Quote Reply
Re: RALEIGH 70.3 [triguy1956] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looking at the Army Corp Jordan Lake temp readings and it's steadily held 77*. With expected rains over next few days, I think they'll be able to "find" cold water. Or shall I say, it's not impossible like in years past where water temp has been a legit 80-81 and they had to find cold water. 1/2 a degree isn't much of a stretch, and if it rains more this week, that'll drop temps.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know anything about this course. I signed up because a buddy told me to do it with him and my brother lives 20 minutes from Raleigh. Sounds like a non-current swim, hilly bike and hilly run. What strengths does this course play too? Sounds like you need to be a solid athlete all around.

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply
Re: RALEIGH 70.3 [alien] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
alien wrote:
I don't know anything about this course. I signed up because a buddy told me to do it with him and my brother lives 20 minutes from Raleigh. Sounds like a non-current swim, hilly bike and hilly run. What strengths does this course play too? Sounds like you need to be a solid athlete all around.

I would agree with this. It's a tough fun race. The back end of the bike course is hilly and the run is hot. It's my favorite race though! As a local, it's always fun hearing about how hot it is in Raleigh every year by the people who are out of town. I remember talking to two people from up north last year and they were just devastated by the heat.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If your super-power is......you don't melt in humid heat......you'll excel.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This course is fantastic for people who can suffer. People wilt on the run in past because of the heat. The run will have no shade but it looks like it's going to rain so that'll be less of issue. I think the key to the run is that it's not flat and it's surprisingly more elevation change than you realize. And it's also a run where you simply see a mile ahead the whole time. So it kinda grinds on you. To me it's a run where you think it's "flattish" and then when down you think "that was harder then I expected".

Raleigh I would call a "fair" course in that it's not easy. I think it plays to strength athletes who can handle the "hills" (I know if you come from elevation it'll be less hilly etc) and back it up w a strong run.

Past 3 years this race has been shredded by heat. This year it's looking to rain on race day, and I also think it legitly can be wetsuit legal without "fudging" too much of the water temps.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: RALEIGH 70.3 [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So i can safely leave my wetsuit in texas when i come to NC?

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Spectated and/or volunteered every year and melted. Was planning to do the same this year until M2M was canceled 2 weeks at which point I came home and registered to race. (Pretty nice that it was still open) I'm prepared to suffer and not confident there will be rain or clouds no matter what the forecast says today.
Quote Reply
Re: RALEIGH 70.3 [BBLOEHR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No. Raleigh is always undecided until race day morning. I always bring my wetsuit and swim skin to every IM 70.3 Raleigh race.

Quote Reply

Prev Next