Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: RALEIGH 70.3 [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Weather report is showing storms this afternoon and then little rain until race day. Though Sunday looks like mostly a pm thunderstorm.

Should be close. I may end up just going swimskin either way.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: RALEIGH 70.3 [alien] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
alien wrote:
I don't know anything about this course. I signed up because a buddy told me to do it with him and my brother lives 20 minutes from Raleigh. Sounds like a non-current swim, hilly bike and hilly run. What strengths does this course play too? Sounds like you need to be a solid athlete all around.

Not sure I would call the bike course hilly. It's rollers IMO. I don't need to use my small chain ring on this course with a 53/11-23.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: RALEIGH 70.3 [biglazybum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
biglazybum wrote:
......Pretty nice that it was still open.........

This.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: RALEIGH 70.3 [BBLOEHR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would bring in, low 60s at night and the rain might make it a wetsuit race this year. A first since the inaugural year.
Quote Reply
Re: RALEIGH 70.3 [mike s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mike s wrote:
I would bring in, low 60s at night and the rain might make it a wetsuit race this year. A first since the inaugural year.

Wetsuit packed now.

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Re: RALEIGH 70.3 [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If it's a wetsuit legal I'm going to wear a swimskin and Blueseventy's Core shorts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mike s wrote:

Not true. 1st 2 years were wetsuit legal.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BBLOEHR wrote:
mike s wrote:

Wetsuit packed now.

almost left mine at home! glad I packed it, now.

OK, for those in the later waves like myself, what's you strategy for swimming through/around the throngs/thousands of swimmers ahead of us? I did this swim in 2015 and where I'm typically a 24-26min swimmer, I was at 30min due to the challenge of having so many swimmers already on the course.

wovebike.com | Wove on instagram
Quote Reply
Re: RALEIGH 70.3 [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok, correction to my post, the first two years were.
Quote Reply
Re: RALEIGH 70.3 [milesthedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Swim over them
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mike s wrote:
Swim over them

that takes a lot of energy, especially when they fight back... remember, it's not just several swimmers, it's thousands of slow swimmers ahead of us.

Last edited by: milesthedog: May 31, 17 9:38
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In all seriousness, I start to the far right and swim inward towards the first turn bouy, swim outside the line, over shoot the second by about 25-30 meters and swim inward towards the finish, seems to work for me, I start more so in the middle time frame.
Last edited by: mike s: May 31, 17 9:53
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
same as always just swim over and around them :-( I start 7:52am so in same boat, anticipating 3-5 min slower then normal.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
milesthedog wrote:
BBLOEHR wrote:
mike s wrote:

Wetsuit packed now.

OK, for those in the later waves like myself, what's you strategy for swimming through/around the throngs/thousands of swimmers ahead of us? I did this swim in 2015 and where I'm typically a 24-26min swimmer, I was at 30min due to the challenge of having so many swimmers already on the course.

What's the shortest distance between two points?

A straight line. Do that.

Learn to thread the needle. You can actually avoid swimming over a lot of people just by finding the smallest gaps and shooting through there. Always be looking ahead for gaps when you are coming up on people. Yeah you will probably bump them a bit but it's a lot better than completely swimming over top of them. If there's no gap, I've actually dove down and swam underwater to get past them.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
milesthedog wrote:

Swim out to the sides of the traffic and make your own lane.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Last edited by: BryanD: May 31, 17 10:28
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes and the second year was truly wetsuit legal. First year-???
Quote Reply
Re: RALEIGH 70.3 [triguy1956] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I still remember talking to Laura Bennett at the awards when the announcer spoke about her using her wetsuit...."you used a wetsuit"....she was like yeah it was wetsuit legal...I laughed as it even close to wetsuit legal temp as the day before IM announced water temp of 83....I truly got a kick out of that person finding "cold" water.

(I don't go to the swim to watch because of the logistical nightmare it is w no parking and shuttle not leaving until final swimmer out of water)

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: RALEIGH 70.3 [triguy1956] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
triguy1956 wrote:
Yes and the second year was truly wetsuit legal. First year-???

The first year the water was significantly cooler in the area of the second turn buoy.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Significantly cooler to the other hot areas. First year was a push. But I admire the person who found the spot to put the thermometer in and take the reading.
Quote Reply
Re: RALEIGH 70.3 [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
milesthedog wrote:

Swim out to the sides of the traffic and make your own lane.

Yep - this is going to be a slow swim! I always tell myself, though, that if I have a problem with it, go pro!

Went out here in Belmont, NC pre T-storm in some 90 degree near 100% humidity for some run pace work and I'll say that if race day during the run has those conditions, it's going to be tough!

I'm curious how roll down will go for 70.3 WC's. Previous years for the 35-39 AG, sub 4:26 high makes the top two. Any thoughts for why it could be different this year? How far did roll down go in Chattanooga?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sundays forecast is now only 20% chance of rain.

I'm going to say this won't be wetsuit legal, but I'll probably bring it anyway.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's because everyone pisses right before the second turn buoy.

Don't drown. Don't crash. Don't walk.
Quote Reply
Re: RALEIGH 70.3 [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Damn, I was looking forward to running in the rain. I prefer no wetsuit though I will bring it just in case.

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is it time to pack already?? Damn...

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Elliot | Cycle2Tri.com
Sponsors: SciCon | | Every Man Jack
Quote Reply
Re: RALEIGH 70.3 [CPT Chaos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CPT Chaos wrote:
Is it time to pack already?? Damn...

yep!

Quote Reply

Prev Next