Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
RALEIGH 70.3
Quote | Reply
How full is this race at this point? I'm thinking of signing up. Anyone know if last year was a wetsuit swim?
Quote Reply
Re: RALEIGH 70.3 [cestmoi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Last year was a non wetsuit swim. It was, in my opinion, one of the tougher half swim courses I've done. There was quite a bit of chop from the wind, and my time certainly reflected it. All in all I enjoyed the race though. Raleigh was a great city.
Quote Reply
Re: RALEIGH 70.3 [Mizzouvet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah the chop after the first turn came out of no where, right where that cold pocket of water was. Be prepared for it to be HOT.
Quote Reply
Re: RALEIGH 70.3 [mike s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks for the info - appreciate it. I figured it would pretty warm for NC in June.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i ll be in Baltimore for a conference on Raleigh race week so i decided to register for the 70.3. I will drive from Baltimore to Raleigh on Thursday and I am looking for some routes to get some cycling in the race week. Baltimore-Washington area, anybody coming from there?
I will be arriving from Switzerland the week before the race
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did it last year and just signed up yesterday for this year. It's the best HIM race I've done (not that I've done many). Swim was choppy, bike was fun and I was never bored, and the run was difficult/hot (no shade, rolling hills, hard to keep a rhythm going). It's a fun town and I had a blast last year. Can't wait to go back....

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's been non-wetsuit the past couple of years. The slow swim times reflect that the course is a bit long. Also, I had to swim through and around thousands of slower swimmers.

That said, I think the bike course is awesome and the run course is also great. With this year's very warm winter, I'm anticipating Raleigh being very, very hot (hotter than it already has been historically).

wovebike.com | Wove on instagram
Quote Reply
Re: RALEIGH 70.3 [milesthedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
milesthedog wrote:
It's been non-wetsuit the past couple of years. The slow swim times reflect that the course is a bit long. Also, I had to swim through and around thousands of slower swimmers.

That said, I think the bike course is awesome and the run course is also great. With this year's very warm winter, I'm anticipating Raleigh being very, very hot (hotter than it already has been historically).

would you go with a disc wheel?
I ll travel from far and I think i will carry my training wheels and rent the disc on site, super9 zipp with 808 in front. what do you think? also if you are from the area please pm me i need to know where I can go riding the race week
Quote Reply
Re: RALEIGH 70.3 [Plissken74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Plissken74 wrote:
milesthedog wrote:

would you go with a disc wheel?
I ll travel from far and I think i will carry my training wheels and rent the disc on site, super9 zipp with 808 in front. what do you think? also if you are from the area please pm me i need to know where I can go riding the race week

Yes. Run a disc.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: RALEIGH 70.3 [milesthedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As a raleigh resident I use this race now as the official welcome to summer weather. Past few years it's been mild, then race week weather is 15* hotter. Good luck to everyone racing this year!

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Mar 9, 17 5:59
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are very few safe routes to ride from downtown Raleigh - you will likely have to drive out to Jordan Lake to get reasonably quiet roads.

Check out the CBC group rides from Holly Springs for some routes, and there was also a similar thread about a year ago.
Quote Reply
Re: RALEIGH 70.3 [Slick_D] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone know how close this race is to selling out?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cestmoi wrote:

Probably not very close based on the fact that they are trying to get people to sign up by offering a special medal if you do the 2 NC 70.3s this year.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: RALEIGH 70.3 [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I signed up about 2 weeks ago. I've never registered so late. I guess everyone is scared of the heat.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: RALEIGH 70.3 [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
I signed up about 2 weeks ago. I've never registered so late. I guess everyone is scared of the heat.

I've done every year of Raleigh 70.3 and I'm def afraid of the heat. I can't say which was worse the first year or last year. Probably the first year (2013) was worse if you consider that double loop near the Art Museum (on the run). I'm tempted to keep the string alive but I'm on the fence......

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Come and race with me!

I'm out of shape and it's going to be so hot but this is my favorite race!

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I recently signed up for a volunteer job just so I was committed to something else beside racing that day. The heat kills me and life just not allow for proper preparation for a 70.3 in any climate zone.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
Come and race with me!

I'm out of shape and it's going to be so hot but this is my favorite race!

I'll make a decision after White Lake Half on Saturday. Supposed to be upper 80s, so I'm ready to suffer.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I need to do White Lake Half again one day. It's such a great race

Quote Reply
Re: RALEIGH 70.3 [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Steve, I am hoping to do this one too, pending my hip injury. It looks like a fun course in a great city.

Jack

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Elliot | Cycle2Tri.com
Sponsors: SciCon | | Every Man Jack
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
I need to do White Lake Half again one day. It's such a great race

This will be my 6th time. Only doing it because they promised new pavement. I'll let you know how that goes......

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cestmoi wrote:

The race did not sell out last year

blog
Quote Reply
Re: RALEIGH 70.3 [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
cestmoi wrote:

The race did not sell out last year

Not surprising. The 2014 race (second year) was much nicer than the first. Weather was more enjoyable & the change in run course. Then you had the non wetsuit 3rd year. So not surprising that last year didn't sell out and then last year was non wetsuit & so hot/humid on the run.

A little off topic, but a friend and I were just discussing that right now you can still sign up for Raleigh, Augusta & NC 70.3 (formerly B2B Half).

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've volunteered for it every year and, the first year, our run aid station was on the loop by the art museum. That was definitely the hottest one in my opinion.

That said, my pea sized brain must not have a good recollection of how miserable that heat can be cuz I've signed up to race it this year. See you guys out there!

Cheers,

thechromedome
http://www.favoritefinishlines.blogspot.com
http://www.cupcakecartel.org
My 20% off code for 2018 FS Series races: tricred18
"there are no drafters in heaven" - C Bonner
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you are looking for riding around Baltimore that week, the roads west of the city are VERY nice. A little west of Towson, 15-20 minute drive. I spent a week there and could not believe how beautiful and quiet the roads were. More hills than you would imagine.
Quote Reply

Prev Next