Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [sickness] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Time? Speed???
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [bhobbs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
updated, 20.7mph. I was really trying to not race the bike leg. obviously the image is from another event
Quote Reply
Post deleted by bobby11 [ In reply to ]
Last edited by: bobby11: Nov 9, 12 18:20
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [bobby11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmm. Watts seems a bit high. That's 5 wts/kg?!

Most of the pro tri guys are averaging 25mph on 4 wts/kg.

Last edited by: bobby11: Nov 9, 12 10:07
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [bobby11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah sorry - I didn't mean to take away from your ride - 4:34 is really fast!

My point was just that the calculator was probably wrong. The watts didn't seem right for two reasons - 1. The watts per kilogram seemed too high for the average speed given what appears to be a very aero position and equipment on your part; and 2. riding 5 wts/kg for 4.5 hours would be pretty nuts for anyone with a day job that doesn't involve riding their bike :)

Last edited by: bobby11: Nov 9, 12 13:22
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [matto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1) AP 169/NP 173
2) 21.1 mph (2:39)
3) 56 miles (B2B Half)
4) 155 6'1"
5) Felt B16, Zipp 808 front, wheelcover rear, vittoria 320cx tires with latex tubes. wingspan helmet. Bottle b/t bars, one on frame.
6) Was hoping to hold 190 watts but legs weren't there wahhhhhhh. had a solid run so it worked out.
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [bc4ua] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very similar to you, but slightly less aero, I guess...

1.) AP 175W / NP 178W
2.) 20.8 mph (5:27 but official split was 5:33)
3.) 112 miles
4.) 153, 6'0"
5.) Cervelo P2C 2009, Zipp 404,808 w/ disc cover, Giro Advantage.
6.) Pancake flat course with 24 turnarounds and a jog through bushes (!) to get to T2. Well paced but easier than goal effort (190W) since my calves were twitching so I saved myself for the run.

Duathlete by choice?
Last edited by: blitzkrieg: Nov 9, 12 14:06
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
holy crap!

Duathlete by choice?
Last edited by: blitzkrieg: Nov 9, 12 14:06
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [coates_hbk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
49 yr old
20k TT
22.9 mph
286 watts
Cervelo S3 roadie
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [matto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is a race from September (Big Kahuna in Santa Cruz) - first real race w/ power and still haven't done a real FTP test:

1) 181 Watts
2) 19.3 mph
3) 49.36 miles (most of a 70.3 - started the watch late)
4) 170 lbs
5) Trek Speed Concept 7.0 w/ 3T Ventus bar, Omega brake, pre-firecrest pre-dimple 404 front, old zipp 900 disc, Giro Advantage II aero helmet.
6) Seems like a flattish course along the Pacific, but there's 3100 feet of elevation gain. Nasty headwind on the way out that didn't seem like that sweet of a tail wind coming back.
7) Going around a turn, so not that helpful:

I have a lot to learn about riding w/ power. I averaged 21.1 mph in a flat sprint about a month before on 179 Watts. I should probably not average more watts in a 56 mile leg than a 16 mile leg. Oops. The good news is during that sprint I had the best triathlon run of my life and won my age group. Being a goldfish surrounded by guppies is fun sometimes.

Lightheir and I had similar races - he beat me by 4ish minutes - and his concern was that he under-biked, but he smoked on the run. I ran well for me (1:41) and I am really curious about finding a sweet spot between leaving it all on the bike and blowing up on the run vs holding back and having too much left. 3 full seasons and ~15 triathlons in, it seems like I'm still a noob. The one thing I know is that it's way more fun to have a good run than a "good" bike and crap run. It does feel like a waste of being a decent runner when I shuffle along at 8:30 pace.

/kj

http://kjmcawesome.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [blitzkrieg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Miami 70.3

1.) AP 240W / NP 244W
2.) 38.5kph (2:21 bike split)
3.) 90.4km
4.) 66kg
5.) Sworks Shiv Tri DI2, Zipp 808,808 w/ disc cover, Spiuk Kronos.
6.) Pancake flat course with head wind first half, lot of traffic as near last wave. Paced well with VI 1.02. First race with power.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Finally chiming in. This was from the Door County Half back in July.

1) Average watts: 213
2) Average speed in MPH: 23.0
3) Distance: 55.8 mi (Garmin )
4) Rider weight: 165
5) Describe bike and wheels: QR Seduza, Hed 3C front, Zipp Sub-9 Disc.
6) Notes: My disc seems to read ~10 watts lower than my training wheel & Computrainer, although Cycleops checked it out & it seemed OK. It's nice to ride on a (pretty) flat course for a change (total elevation gain of 723 ft).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is an embarrassing one. Context is that I got way too caught up in the physical elements of training and ignored details such as bike-fit and equipment scrutiny. Guys my size split 7-9 minutes faster than me on *less* power...same day...same course. Would love to hear opinions on why prior to my bike fit which I have set up for two weeks from now.

1) 250 AP, 252 NP
2) 22.1mph (makes me cringe)
3) 56 miles (Austin 70.3)
4) 160 pounds
5) Cervelo P2, Aero-profile bottle upfront, Mavic Cosmic Carbone Clinchers (52mm) both front and rear
6) Befuddled. I bike split 2:31 on this relatively flat/rolling course on a day without much wind, other guys 155-165 pound split low 2:20's on same power numbers

Brad Stulberg
Author, Peak Performance
http://www.BradStulberg.com
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [Bstulberg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bstulberg wrote:
This is an embarrassing one. Context is that I got way too caught up in the physical elements of training and ignored details such as bike-fit and equipment scrutiny. Guys my size split 7-9 minutes faster than me on *less* power...same day...same course. Would love to hear opinions on why prior to my bike fit which I have set up for two weeks from now.

1) 250 AP, 252 NP
4) 160 pounds
5) Cervelo P2, Aero-profile bottle upfront, Mavic Cosmic Carbone Clinchers (52mm) both front and rear
6) Befuddled. I bike split 2:31 on this relatively flat/rolling course on a day without much wind, other guys 155-165 pound split low 2:20's on same power numbers

Tough to tell w/ a front picture. I'd suggest a "critique my XX" thread.

Some ideas on how to get more watts

1) disc cover
2) latex tubes and fast tires
3) torhands
4) faster wheels (carbones aren't particularly aero)

But the fit would be the lowest, cheapest hanging fruit. That much power (what PM?) should be 2:15 or better. FWIW 261 powertap watts for me is 2:09 on a flat course (155lbs)
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [James Haycraft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey James - thanks for the advice. I have a Quarq PM, and I manually calibrate before every workout/race, so I think it's accurate. In addition to the fit, I also just got my hands on a used Zipp 909 for very cheap, so hopefully that should help. What are torhands?

James Haycraft wrote:
Bstulberg wrote:

1) 250 AP, 252 NP
4) 160 pounds

Tough to tell w/ a front picture. I'd suggest a "critique my XX" thread.

Some ideas on how to get more watts

1) disc cover
2) latex tubes and fast tires
3) torhands
4) faster wheels (carbones aren't particularly aero)

But the fit would be the lowest, cheapest hanging fruit. That much power (what PM?) should be 2:15 or better. FWIW 261 powertap watts for me is 2:09 on a flat course (155lbs)

Brad Stulberg
Author, Peak Performance
http://www.BradStulberg.com
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [Bstulberg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ooops, meant "Torhans" between the bars bottle.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by James Haycraft [ In reply to ]
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [James Haycraft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry. Don't know anything about what's normal for you for 112 as a stand-alone TT. I just know what happened on race day (and I thought I gave an out). YOU threw down the challenge. We rose to it. ;-) (Not really trying to be a dick. Trying to set the table a little bit for our next get-together. Fun stuff ;-)

Also don't know anything about power meters and power numbers (obviously). I DO know how to set the PE meter to suffer and leave it there.

Anyway, I've deleted all my earlier posts, so if you'll delete yours, no further record will exist.
Last edited by: bobby11: Nov 10, 12 3:00
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [TravisT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TravisT wrote:
Boulder 70.3

25.1 mph
212 watts NP
142 lbs
2011 Specialized Transition
Hed Jet disc with Hed H3D Trispoke
LG Vorttice Helmet

That just blows my mind wow! If you are say 6'-ish tall I'd love to see a pic of your position. At 212 I'm barely cracking 20. Sick aero dude congrats.
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [Borden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dude that is pretty encouraging if I'm you and looking at the one already aforementioned issue. Saddle height is more times than not repeated on this site incorrectly, but I feel you are a bit high and probably losing a good bit of power. You will figure it out with your PM.....the 4:59 coulda/shoulda/woulda....next year I bet you grab some more of that low hanging fruit....nice split!
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [tigerpaws] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I sure hope you are right. It would be nice to have a few more watts to spend.

My saddle comfort has been a limiting factor and I hope dropping the seat height may help there too.

@christopher_borden •
Spinning Spoke • Dimond Bikes • Flo Cycling • Castelli Cycling
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [Borden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No go on Adamo/Cobb? I sure wish I'd of had access to those designs 25 years ago....sigh. Once Tom A convinced me to sit out waaaaaaay on the tip it all clicked for me. Good luck sorting it out the saddle is the most important component on your rig....you will go from trying to make an aero position happen to *letting* it happen when it comes together. Great ride!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I consider my 2:09 at white lake and 55:3x at Nc state tt (hilly) to be my best tt efforts this year. And the 20:45 Lowes. Im not sure ill ever sniff yourpr there, however.
Quote Reply

Prev Next