Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [jbank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jbank wrote:
Huh? Was there a typo somewhere in there? Did she crash and walk, or was it a hill climb? Something doesn't add up...

=)

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [jbank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
matto wrote:
1) Average watts : 319 NormPower: 321
2) Average speed in MPH : 24.2
3) Distance : 14.98 miles
4) Rider weight: 216 lbs. 6' 2" 45 yo
5) Describe bike and wheels: Kouta Kalibur and Zip 404 FC
6) Misc notes, to whine and make excuses for your lack of power and/or lack of aero : I am just a former football player trying to be a triathlete.....
7) Optional: a picture (or link to a picture) of you in your aero position.
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [jeffp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the response Jeff. I know it sounds like I'm putting the cart before the horse, but I'm just trying to wrap my head around the power requirements given, hopefully with a very good position, to go 45km/h.

What got me thinking about this was looking at the data from my ride yesterday. I took my TT bike out for the first time with just the initial position setup, and I recorded a lap of my local 2km loop I normally use for intervals on my road bike.

I held my watts at 280, and I was surprised to see an average speed of only 40.8 km/h. This was done with regular training gear, but still it seems a little slow for the power output. I think I've got some work to do on my position.

Good luck at the TT Thursday. Our 15k series starts this Thursday too.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jbank wrote:
May not have been directed at me, but I'll throw out my guess anyway. If you search for "watts/m^2", you'll
find the graph the RChung likes to post showing the curves of speeds for various CdA and watts. The 44kph
curve is at 1300 watts/m^2, so you'll need slightly more than that, lets say 1400 to be safe (1600 gives 48kph),
At your size, you should be able to get in the <.23 CdA range, so that means you would need ~320 watts on
a flat windless course. Good luck.
M

Thanks jbank! That's what I was looking for. I should be able to get down to at least .23 CdA given my size.

Thanks again.

jackmott wrote:
you will be amazed how much faster it is with all the race gear.

Thanks, I hope you're right.

According to my Garmin at Lonestar 70.3...

1) Average watts - 171W
2) Average speed - ~22.2mph Garmin GPS
3) Distance - ~56.27miles Garmin GPS
4) Rider weight - 150lbs
5) Describe bike and wheels - Look 596 in 70.3 setup, more comfortable than aggressive. Zipp 900 PT Disc and 808 Front both running Corsa Evo CX 700x21's
6) Misc notes, to whine and make excuses for your lack of power and/or lack of aero - I think there was a perfect crosswind. Also I think the course was long considering it was supposed to be 56 miles and I started my computer late.
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [matto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1) 312 watts (317 norm)
2) 27.55 MPH
3) 16.55 miles
4) 145 Pounds
5) Blue Triad (2009) -- Zipp 808 Rear, HED Jet 60 front
6) went out way too hard -- averaged 380+ watts for first three minutes and also had my saddle screw come loose. The saddle didn't move forward or backwards, but the angle of the saddle kept shifting with my weight. very annoying.

Also - this was a TT not a tri

OH AND BEST PART -- I raced as a CAT V and came in 4th in the division. Boulder is hardcore.

Sponsored by -- Whoever tips at my coffee shop
Last edited by: Muggins: May 1, 12 16:58
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [Muggins] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great data! See my post above - I was essentially looking for how many watts it took to go 45km/h at 5'8 145 pounds (not sure about your height), which is what you did.

Do you consider your position excellent, very good, good...?

Btw, that is pretty crazy only coming in 4th in cat V with that speed!

Considering Cam Dye won Cat IV and another pro triathlete (Kyle Leto) won CAT V -- It's hard to feel too bad.

My position is good, not excellent (like a pure cyclist) -- but pretty standard for what you see at the pointy end of a triathlon.

I scrounged up some pics from IM Wisco last year. I ride slightly more aggressive for 70.3 distance and shorter, but this will give you an idea.

I had a bad mechanical, so don't use that bike split for any sort of indicator if you're doing an IM this year. Also that's food in my mouth. I'm definitely not burping up gatorade.

http://images20.brightroom.com/...9/75734-149-006f.jpg

http://images20.brightroom.com/...9/75734-009-022f.jpg

And I'm just under 5'10.

Sponsored by -- Whoever tips at my coffee shop
Last edited by: Muggins: May 1, 12 17:46
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [Muggins] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the pics. That looks like a great position for long course. I'm a pure cyclist - no IM for me! Though I do run a bit..

it's at elevation, everything is faster,even the wind ;)

and on a flat course, weight is largely moot, couple of seconds
Last edited by: jeffp: May 1, 12 18:20
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [matto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A few recent weekly Tuesday TT's:

1) Average watts - 317
2) Average speed in MPH - 28.3
3) Distance - 10.05 miles
4) Rider weight - ~170

1) Average watts - 308
2) Average speed in MPH - 28.6
3) Distance - 10.05 miles
4) Rider weight - ~170
Last edited by: One and Done: May 6, 12 6:09
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [jeffp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good point. It sounds like jbank's predication of 320w is likely pretty close.

I'll try to clean up my position and do some testing over the weekend to see how slippery or not so slippery I am. On my first ride yesterday I realized my extensions are way too long - now they have to be cut and re-cabled! so annoying.

weight-169
height- 6-2
intervals 3x10 - 4 minute rest in-between
1st-316 watts 2nd-326 watts 3rd-334 watts

intervals the following week
20x2 with 8 minute rest
1st -309 watts 2nd -305 watts

intervals the following week
2x10 3 minute rest
334 336 337 338 339 341 342 345 348 351 - This workout was done in the evening after biking 45 high cadence low wattage mileage in the morning with a long run.

Ashamed to admit it but I went 1:03 at st anythonys for the bike- just didnt feel it. I have done 57xx for an oly bike split in the past :( its still early in the year though.. Doesnt matter how hard you train if you dont train right!

Strava:https://www.strava.com/athletes/20890878
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
224 watts looks like it was directly into a head wind while in the small chainring :0)

Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [Bmanners] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll play this year:

1) 285
2) 25.6
3) 10.84
4) 160 lbs
5) Scott Plasma 2 with 3t Brezza bars and H3 with a Renn disc
6) Only have been on this bike two weeks training and a new position. Note max heart rate. Not bad for 55 years old.
7) http://connect.garmin.com/activity/173942765
Last edited by: Juanmoretime: May 2, 12 9:42
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [bonesbrigade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think you should be able to get away with a little less than 320w.

1. 285w
2. 28.0
3. 26.5
4. 172
5. P4 with 808FC and 900 disk.
6. 4 lap course.

Duncan
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [DClarke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DClarke wrote:
I think you should be able to get away with a little less than 320w.

1. 285w
2. 28.0
3. 26.5
4. 172
5. P4 with 808FC and 900 disk.
6. 4 lap course.

Duncan

Wow, that's efficient! Great job - what's the CdA on that?

Did you have any pics of your position?

Edit: I read that wrong, i thought your went 28mph on 285w - still good though.

Last edited by: bonesbrigade: May 3, 12 4:07
Quote Reply
Re: Post your average power (watts) and average speed (MPH) from your last race [bonesbrigade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll play...

1. 196w (197 normalized)
2. 22.1mph (not including the 21 seconds on the ground from a fall)
3. 56.1miles
4. 169lbs
5. SC 7.0 with an 808FC/Super9
6. 2 lap course with 3 U turns... I was on the ground for 21 seconds from a fall, but over 56 miles, that didn't make much of a difference for my average speed.

-----------------------------
Full disclosure: Zwift, former Zipp and SRAM Design Engineer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Again, referencing our handy dandy chart, 26.5 mph is ~42.5 kph, or roughly 1200 w/m^2 on flat windless course.
285/1200 = .2375 CdA. That sounds pretty respectable to me (although not a surprise with such a nice setup).

I also read it as 28mph the first time through. That would have been more like 1375 w/m^2, for a CdA of ~.21,
which is possible, put I would also have liked to see the position pictures ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ah, I finally figured out how to use rchung's handy tool! Pretty cool.

Actually based on your CdA .237, it would take you approx 326w to go 45km/h.

Jbank, check my math (.2376*1375) to ensure I know what I'm talking about.

bonesbrigade wrote:
Actually based on your CdA .237, it would take you approx 326w to go 45km/h.

Jbank, check my math (.2376*1375) to ensure I know what I'm talking about.

Math seems right. Obviously these are all estimates that might have big error bars. If his course
had some wind and some minor hills, his CdA would be lower that what we estimated here. If the
power meter was a little high or low, you would have similar errors. Still, I think I'm sticking with my
320w ballpark figure.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For sure - I understand these are estimates with lots of variables.
It would be fair to say though, that on that day on that course, he would have needed around 320w to ride 45km/h.

We better stop talking about this before we're accused of turning cycling into a math problem :-)

Prev Next