Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [mbwallis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you can spec the BB on a Project One bike ahead of time and it will be delivered with the correct one installed.

for a stock 7-series bike, you'd need to order a GXP BB90 bearing kit (411814 ceramic, 404700 steel) at the same time you order the bike, and it would have to be installed after delivery because stock 7-series 2014-2015 SCs come to the dealer with Shimano drivetrains.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Carl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Perfect, thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [mbwallis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In regards to a 2012 SC9.8, is this year still limited to skinnier wheels, or are the new age wider profiles able to fit?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [seanblurr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
None of the original SC'S are limited to skinny wheels. They could handle D3, firecrest and stinger. For wide carbon rims move all of the flat spacers from inside the brake arms to outside, and use carbon specific pads like the Bontrager corks, which are a couple mm thinner than standard pads.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl
Just wanted to double check. Regarding fitting wide rim Firecrests to 1st gen SC. Using Zipp's grey compound carbon specific brake pads. I can't get enough clearance. I have removed all the flat washers to outer side of calliper, only leaving concave adjustment washer inboard. Which is the preferred option, remove the concave washer outboard also or sand off few mm's off pads. I got the rear accommodated ok, but the front is proving trickier. Many Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [daveVagabond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't move the concave washer outboard...I'd shave off some pad first. But even before that, if it's the front you're having trouble with, I'd check that it's set up correctly. The brake arms should be sitting flush with the profile of the fork and brake cover, not sticking out (as if you had partially applied the brake)...if that's not the case, the front brake wedge is sitting too high on the cable and needs to move down until the arms sit flush. Then, there is a small setscrew on each upper brakearm...it takes a 2mm hex...you can move the brake arms outboard without any spacer swaps by backing that setscrew out on both sides. If you've got brake rub after all that, it's time to either change pads to something thinner or shave down the one's you've got.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl. Ah brilliant, thanks for that info. I will follow those steps first. Really appreciate the prompt and full reply. Regards.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I recently bought a UCI legal 2014 9 series from a pro. I noticed that the fork is smaller and the basebar is smaller. I'm replacing the seatpost to a 15mm offset. Other than these things, am I losing anything else? Anything Di2 capable? Should I replace the basebar or does it really not matter? I actually like the smaller basebar since I can grab it while climbing.

Thanks for the help.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [BrentwoodTriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you want to run the internal Di2 battery you'll need the battery holder kit for the seatpost, PN W332400.

The drag delta between UCI and non-UCI configurations of the 2014 bike is on the order of 25g avg through a yaw sweep...don't have a breakdown of how much is attributed to the bar and the fork separately.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
25g is huge, no? That seems crazy to me
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
roughly 1% of bike & rider drag...roughly 3W...huge is in the eye of the beholder

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I believe the conversion is 50 g of drag equal 0.5s/k

so looking a 0.25 s/k or about 10 sec over an Olympic course
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl wrote:
roughly 1% of bike & rider drag...roughly 3W...huge is in the eye of the beholder

zachboring wrote:
I believe the conversion is 50 g of drag equal 0.5s/k

so looking a 0.25 s/k or about 10 sec over an Olympic course

Considering what I paid for the bike... I'm elated!

Carl, do you think it's possible I could gain maybe 1.5W back with the different basebar? Or do you think that loss in aero is mostly due to the wide fork in high yaw angles?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
don't have a breakdown of fork and bar separately...the bike was going to be sold (or later converted) completely UCI or non-UCI, not piecemeal...so no reason to generate data (which is what I'd rather hang my hat on than a guess).

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Carl,

My wife had a crash on the weekend and apart from losing some skin she snapped her basebar. I'm in Australia and it seems I can't find one other than a replacement UCI version which I don't really want.

I'm desperate to get my hands on a new bar so she can get back on the bike, where can I get one from? Can it be sent to my Trek dealer in Perth, TBE, express post, (I'm not getting much response so far and I fear it'll be 2 months rather than 2 weeks)

Can you help?

Regards

Neil
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [mendne] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ETA: wow...forgive me...not enough coffee in the system yet...I'm glad to hear it wasn't any worse for your wife, Neil

PM me the details of what shop, who you've talked to, etc. No guarantees, but I need more to work with to have any chance.

Carl Matson
Last edited by: Carl: Mar 10, 15 5:46
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Carl. I know my 2011 7.2 isn't set up for electronic shifting but do they have an aftermarket kit to upgrade with?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [T37931] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kit 422802 includes the Di2-specific rear brake cover and rail for the external battery.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Carl,

The shop we have enquirer at is The Bicycle Entrepreneur, Nedlands, Perth, Western Australia. We don't know if there is any in Australia, but I'm assuming not as this stage unless someone takes a set off a stock bike?

http://www.tbe.com.au/findUs/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry Carl Rupert is the manager there, they know us as we spend too much money there...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't have any visibility into warehouse stock outside of the US so I can't say if there are any in Australia either.

If the shop hasn't already, their next move is to contact the Trek Australia office...that's a great group of people who can get things like this done, and if there isn't a non-UCI bar to be found locally they likely need to be involved in the paperwork of shipping from the US (where that bar is currently in stock).

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Carl, I have a first gen SC. Do I have to use the Bontrager brake shoes? Could I use Shimano's? Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Neoryan7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
people make aftermarket brake pad choices all the time. if you're running carbon rims we definitely recommend the Bontrager carbon-spcific (cork) pads.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When you purchase a stem for the 2014 SC, does that also include the correct plastic cover that sits just behind the stem? I am assuming so as the add list "stem cover", but I just wanted to confirm.

http://trekbicyclestores.com/product/bontrager-speed-concept-stem-195857-1.htm
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [cldtx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey,

The cover comes with the stem, I got a shorter stem and it came with the cover,

Cheers Noel,
Quote Reply

Prev Next