Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
New Cannondale
Quote | Reply
Did anyone else notice the new Cannondale in the Kona photo article??
Looks like the P4!

- Disc brakes
- Dropped downtube
- A little tail
- Deeper headtube
- Integrated (proprietary?) handlebars
- Does it finally have top tube bosses?

Group Eleven – Websites for Athletes / mikael.racing / @mstaer
Quote Reply
Re: New Cannondale [Staer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They look like dual piston mechanical Trp Spyre brakes to me, which are inferior to rim brakes in the dry but generally better in the wet.

Integrated front end looks better than the standard Slice.

Good news for Potts that he's not on Gatorskins this year.

-------------------------------
´Get the most aero and light bike you can get. With the aero advantage you can be saving minutes and with the weight advantage you can be saving seconds. In a race against the clock both matter.´

BMANX
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Staer wrote:
Looks like the P4!

Sadly no.

Guess everyone is glued to the P5X right now.

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...st=last-6097254#last
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i saw that too. it interesting. I like Cannondale. they have put out good bikes for a long time. I do wonder wth they are doing for tri/TT though. the original Slice was a classic. they sold a bunch of them even before Chrissie won her titles. that bike had legs. then the RS {thud}. then the "more palatable" current model {does it make a sound if nobody hears it?}. and now this. I'm not sure they are moving forward.

I really do wonder about the disc thing. maybe it takes off. I'm sure it will at $10K plus. but if you're where the market seems to be, which is $2K to $5K, the cost of the bike plus training wheels plus any variety of race wheels is pretty significant. different depths ain't cheap and attaching the brake system to the wheel just makes the wheel pricier.

$0.02
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very subtle changes. Good catch. Wonder why they still haven't released anything and it's just now being noticed with all the new bikes rolling out this week and people on the lookout for changes.
Quote Reply
Re: New Cannondale [dsmallwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed.
I like it though. Super simple, straightforward. Like the P2/3, the QR range, etc. But as a top of the line bike for $10k, it just doesn't make sense. This update is nice, but also doesn't make much sense. I doubt it tests much faster - couldn't you take the current low end Slice and put something like the TriRig Alpha or Pro Missile bars on it and have basically the same thing? That's what this looks like. The P4-like shapes are odd, as in, that's a very old design. Very sound, but in a way a step back.

I'm also wary of the disc brake thing. Don't really understand the advantage. It does open up wheel design though, since there doesn't need to be a brake track, so shapes can be varied like we haven't seen yet. Maybe that's where the innovation lies and it's just a matter of time. Still, I have yet to see someone in real life get on a new bike and new wheels and go any faster, without improved fitness.

Group Eleven – Websites for Athletes / mikael.racing / @mstaer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
May I ask where the $10k price figures are coming from? This isn't directed at you, you're just the second our third person who has mentioned this.
Quote Reply
Re: New Cannondale [albertsonrm1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BRING BACK THE SLICE RS!

This is just awful.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I see Potts traded Gatorskins for disc brakes. *%$#^***? Are dollars from sponsorship clouding aero/speed sense?
Quote Reply
Re: New Cannondale [albertsonrm1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i said $10K as many top-ends are now north of that number. Cannondale's current top-tier Slice is $10,660. it was not in direct reference to the bike in the picture, though ... with the ENVE wheels, FSA cranks, cool bar, cost of frame, etc, I'm sure that one would retail for over $10K too.
Last edited by: dsmallwood: Oct 5, 16 7:48
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Staer wrote:
I'm also wary of the disc brake thing. Don't really understand the advantage. It does open up wheel design though, since there doesn't need to be a brake track, so shapes can be varied like we haven't seen yet. Maybe that's where the innovation lies and it's just a matter of time. Still, I have yet to see someone in real life get on a new bike and new wheels and go any faster, without improved fitness.

I really do not think rim shapes will change due to disc brakes, just look at the cross section of a firecrest rim and tell me that the brake track affects the shape. They just do not have flat brake tracks anyway, so that area is already free to shape as needed.

What is an advantage of disc brakes is the wheel and fork interaction, you can get lots of space between the fork and the side of the rim, since you do not need all that brake hardware close to the rim in this area. Even very good integrated designs, like on the trek sc, require you to block a bunch of flow between the fork and the rim in this area. Does this freedom make up for the drag of calipers and disks sticking out in the rim and the extra spokes on the rim? My first guess would be no, but the flow in this area is complicated since there is air attached to the wheel going backwards relative to the bike motion in this area.
Quote Reply
Re: New Cannondale [chaparral] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Exactly - disc brakes allow total freedom near the top of the fork where there is a lot going on with flow.
These companies aren't stupid, I'm sure if they are putting disc brakes on their bikes than they have done their (aerodynamic) homework.

Jonathan Blyer,
ACME Bicycle Co., Brooklyn, NY
Quote Reply
Re: New Cannondale [jonblyer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jonblyer wrote:
Exactly - disc brakes allow total freedom near the top of the fork where there is a lot going on with flow.
These companies aren't stupid, I'm sure if they are putting disc brakes on their bikes than they have done their (aerodynamic) homework.

You sure about that? This is the very same Cannondale that killed a semi-fast bike (the RS) and replaced it with a slow as balls non-UCI legal frame.
Quote Reply
Re: New Cannondale [Grill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
New Ritchey mount seatpost too instead of that goofy looking thing they had before. Still not interested in a slower bike though.

Don't drown. Don't crash. Don't walk.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah. Thats the old Slice. Not the one in the photo above. We have no idea what it will cost.

But it would behoove them to not do something as ridiculous as Cervelo.

"One Line Robert"
Quote Reply
Re: New Cannondale [wsrobert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wsrobert wrote:
Yeah. Thats the old Slice. Not the one in the photo above. We have no idea what it will cost.

No it isn't. There is no Slice on the market with disc brake or that rear triangle.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Staer wrote:
Looks like the P4!

- Disc brakes
- Dropped downtube
- A little tail
- Deeper headtube
- Integrated (proprietary?) handlebars
- Does it finally have top tube bosses?

This is disappointing. However, I'm not 100% sure this is their new bike. I've been told by my rep that they are designing something new and have been for a bit, but they weren't able to get it ready for Kona. He said probably after the new year.

Also I was reading they hired Damon Rinard (?) from Cervelo like two years ago. No way they hire him and then come out with this bike which is not much different from what they had and doesn't have anything to stand out amongst the other bikes that look like this.

Maybe this is just something they did for pros and the new bike is coming out early 2017? I'm hoping at least, I really want to see something new from them, but way better than this
Quote Reply
Re: New Cannondale [Grill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Grill wrote:
wsrobert wrote:

No it isn't. There is no Slice on the market with disc brake or that rear triangle.

I was replying to the poster above who provided this link as evidence of the Cannondale pictured above as being "$10K".

http://www.cannondale.com/en/Canada/Bike/ProductDetail?Id=c431acf6-bcb4-42f9-a65c-a40dddbbdc5d&parentid=undefined

The bike in that link is not the bike above. Like I originally said.

"One Line Robert"
Quote Reply
Re: New Cannondale [teichs42] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FWIW, Mini-Phinney said one of the reasons he signed with Cannondale - Drapac was so he could work with them on designing their new TT frame. If accurate, it would seem something else is coming eventually.

Quote:
Next year is also about the opening time trial in the Tour de France and working with Cannondale on a new TT bike. They’re set to upgrade the current one and I’m excited to be part of that.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: New Cannondale [Barchettaman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Barchettaman wrote:
They look like dual piston mechanical Trp Spyre brakes to me, which are inferior to rim brakes in the dry but generally better in the wet.

Hmmm...I have Spyres on my "multi-surface" bike, and they work VERY well in the dry. And my rim brakes/Hed Jet Black combo on my road bike works every bit as well in the wet.

So, I guess I'm going to have to disagree with your assertions on both points ;-)

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Staer wrote:
Agreed.
I like it though. Super simple, straightforward. Like the P2/3, the QR range, etc. But as a top of the line bike for $10k, it just doesn't make sense. This update is nice, but also doesn't make much sense. I doubt it tests much faster - couldn't you take the current low end Slice and put something like the TriRig Alpha or Pro Missile bars on it and have basically the same thing? That's what this looks like. The P4-like shapes are odd, as in, that's a very old design. Very sound, but in a way a step back.

Wishful thinking...ENVE already took a swing at that, and still ended up with wheels that as a system are slower and heavier than their previous iterations.

Quote Reply
Re: New Cannondale [chaparral] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chaparral wrote:
Staer wrote:
I'm also wary of the disc brake thing. Don't really understand the advantage. It does open up wheel design though, since there doesn't need to be a brake track, so shapes can be varied like we haven't seen yet. Maybe that's where the innovation lies and it's just a matter of time. Still, I have yet to see someone
in real life get on a new bike and new wheels and go any faster, without improved fitness.

I really do not think rim shapes will change due to disc brakes, just look at the cross section of a firecrest rim and tell me that the brake track affects the shape. They just do not have flat brake tracks anyway, so that area is already free to shape as needed.

What is an advantage of disc brakes is the wheel and fork interaction, you can get lots of space between the fork and the side of the rim, since you do not need all that brake hardware close to the rim in this area. Even very good integrated designs, like on the trek sc, require you to block a bunch of flow between the fork and the rim in this area. Does this freedom make up for the drag of calipers and disks sticking out in the rim and the extra spokes on the rim? My first guess would be no, but the flow in this area is complicated since there is air attached to the wheel going backwards relative to the bike motion in this area.

Yeah...boy, those brake shoes really DO block off a ton of flow and limit the fork crown shape, huh?

Quote Reply
Re: New Cannondale [jonblyer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jonblyer wrote:

Not buying it...nearly ANY change you'd like to make to the fork crown area of a bike could be also made with a well-integrated rim braking solution. See the pic above.

Quote Reply
Re: New Cannondale [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
Barchettaman wrote:

Hmmm...I have Spyres on my "multi-surface" bike, and they work VERY well in the dry. And my rim brakes/Hed Jet Black combo on my road bike works every bit as well in the wet.

So, I guess I'm going to have to disagree with your assertions on both points ;-)

The problem I had was that, unlike Avid BB5 or BB7, the Spyres mount without conical washers. So if the post mounts are slightly off the caliper is nigh-on impossible to centre over the rotor.

Subjective I know, but I 'felt' dry braking was better with my ancient Shimano 105 dual pivots.

I haven't tried the Hed Black wheels - a bit out of budget for a poor opera singer like myself... I don't doubt that their wet braking performance is excellent!

-------------------------------
´Get the most aero and light bike you can get. With the aero advantage you can be saving minutes and with the weight advantage you can be saving seconds. In a race against the clock both matter.´

BMANX
Quote Reply

Prev Next