Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: New Cannondale [alexholbrook] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If the disc brakes weren't also thru axle, they technically could get a neutral wheel - just have no brakes on that wheel!
Quote Reply
Re: New Cannondale [Billyk24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Billyk24 wrote:
Heather Jackson is riding a regular Cannondale Slice at Kona 2016

[URL=http://s241.photobucket.com/...zpsshlwevj2.jpg.html][/url]

Does this mean Potts Cannondale is a one type prototype?

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I'm not buying that this is their new bike. My rep said it's coming out after the new year and Taylor Phinney has also said Cannondale is working on a new bike he'll be involved in.

I'm just not buying it. This bike isn't all that different from the current slice and it's also so far behind all these other new bikes it just doesn't make sense.

I'm holding out until after the new year to see if a new bike is in the works.
Quote Reply
Re: New Cannondale [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nickwhite wrote:
If the disc brakes weren't also thru axle, they technically could get a neutral wheel - just have no brakes on that wheel!

Maybe for a front, but not a rear...different spacing on the rear (135 vs 130) for QR disc.

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: New Cannondale [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ah, it'll squeeze in.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
nickwhite wrote:

Maybe for a front, but not a rear...different spacing on the rear (135 vs 130) for QR disc.

Yep.
Also, probably not the front either: a disc brake wheel needs dish so the spokes clear the caliper.

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
CSG Road Engineering Department
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
(ex-Cervelo, ex-Trek, ex-Velomax, ex-Kestrel)
Quote Reply
Re: New Cannondale [alexholbrook] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andy was also photographed riding the bike.

If this isn't the bike, then they absolutely wanted the photos taken for publicity.
Quote Reply
Re: New Cannondale [bujayman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bujayman wrote:
Andy was also photographed riding the bike.

If this isn't the bike, then they absolutely wanted the photos taken for publicity.

(disclosure: I am prone to conspiracy theories)
I have come around to this way of thinking. Cannondale has released two duds since the last 'good' Slice. they missed the market in aesthetics and then in areo / storage.

then they got Damon. now they have Phinney. they need something to remind the world that they still exist (the noted price drops online are indicative of weak demand). so they take some of their test mules, which I hope we'll see in Prod, and they have their pros ride them around. good press, wetted appetites, and some positive buzz.

$0.02

Quote Reply
Re: New Cannondale [dsmallwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There was nothing positive about the "TEST MULE" that Potts was riding around on.
Quote Reply
Re: New Cannondale [dsmallwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think it was a case of the athletes getting them too late/not being confident on the bike or something because mechanics were seen switching some(all?) of the Cannondale athletes over to their old rides during the week.

BA coaching http://www.bjornandersson.se
Quote Reply
Re: New Cannondale [bujayman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Maybe a very low cost way of obtaining customer feedback of a working prototype? If the new Slice has to please the professional road cyclists, then I would not expect Cannondale to design this new frame with the stock storage capacity of the new P5X or Diamondback model.
Quote Reply
Re: New Cannondale [damon_rinard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
damon_rinard wrote:
Tom A. wrote:
nickwhite wrote:

Yep.
Also, probably not the front either: a disc brake wheel needs dish so the spokes clear the caliper.

Wait...the rim is still centered over the locknuts, so you can still put a non-disc front wheel in a disc fork, no?

The other way around (disc wheel into a non-disc fork would only fit if the fork leg doesn't interfere with the disc (likely)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yep, the rim is still centered, but the disc brake caliper will probably interfere with the spokes of a rim brake wheel.

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
damon_rinard wrote:
Yep, the rim is still centered, but the disc brake caliper will probably interfere with the spokes of a rim brake wheel.

I just checked it out...you're right. I guess all spare fronts should be H3s then ;-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There's HED, being futuristic again... LOL

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
Quote Reply
Re: New Cannondale [teichs42] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting...
Quote Reply
Re: New Cannondale [Youngtano] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hope the new Slice has an option to obtain something like this:
[URL=http://s241.photobucket.com/...zpsbawjjqmv.jpg.html][/url]

a removable storage unit that fits over the bottom bracket. This Wedgie unit was tested in the A2 wind tunnel and produced less drag than a downtube bottle/cage combination. Even more if one uses a suboptimum rear storage unit.
Quote Reply
Re: New Cannondale [Billyk24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Billyk24 wrote:

a removable storage unit that fits over the bottom bracket. This Wedgie unit was tested in the A2 wind tunnel and produced less drag than a downtube bottle/cage combination. Even more if one uses a suboptimum rear storage unit.

With a rider on board? How did it compare to BTA bottle and top tube mounted "aero bento"?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
Billyk24 wrote:

With a rider on board? How did it compare to BTA bottle and top tube mounted "aero bento"?

I don't have all the data. Ask Tom at Wedgie--checkout the facebook listing or the A2 wind tunnel.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I, for one, am excited to see this new model. I'm a complete Cannondale fanboy (there are a dozen c'dales in the garage - shared among the family, of course :-) )... and yet I eagerly await the day I can replace my Slice RS frame. I have learned to wrench the RS bike like nobody's business, yet the painful cabling paths put too much friction on the system and the bike suffers from brakes that may or may not be rubbing. Really annoying when you are in the middle of a 112 mile ride (or a 40km for that matter)... :-(

If disk brakes move 1% towards a better adjustment/reliability (and stopping power), I am in. I'd even be interested in a hydraulic system... (wouldn't that improve cable routing?).

Apart from the brakes, the RS is painful to fit my 6'-3" long-legged frame. I see Potts is the same height, and his risers seem as extraordinary as mine. I pray Cannondale considers reintroducing the 60cm, or at least a stack/reach system that works. I like the idea of thru axles.

To me, the above bike looks like a frame refresh of the Slice, and will perhaps come in disk and rim options. But, since I was all about to bail on C'dale when it came to Triathlon, I am happy to see progress (thanks, Damon?) and look forward to the bike's introduction. I wonder if it will be ready for St. Croix in May '17? There is no way I am packing the RS for the trip, but I'd take a new Slice over my Evo if possible.

Last edited by: TriSliceRS: Oct 10, 16 16:51
Quote Reply
Re: New Cannondale [TriSliceRS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi TriSliceRS,

Glad you like your Cannondales!

Andy is helping us by riding this prototype as part of our development process. Our goal is the best tri bike ever, but I'm not at liberty to say much about it yet.

Your experience with your rim brakes is one of the reasons you'll like hydraulics: they're less sensitive to cable routing. Which means we can design for aero performance, not cable path constraints.

And if you're about Pott's size, I think you'll also like the sizing. Dunno about St. Croix; we haven't set a launch date yet.

Cheers,
Damon

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dear Damon,

Please:
1. Use the 3T Revo base bar :)
2. Include tilt adjustment with the base bar (there's a simple way that hasn't been patented... though one other member on here has dibs :)
3. Give us an aero neutral (or positive) flat kit for either the bottom bracket or rear of the seat tube
4. Put bottle bosses on the back side of the seat tube so we can put a draft box back there if we want to
5. Offer it in Cannondale Green... frameset if possible

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You make that bike with regular hidden brakes and I'm sold. Not many of us want to invest in another set of ridiculously expensive wheels.
Ps, I have a System Six, Synapse HiMod(my favorite road bike), Scalpel, Habit Se and a Super X. I'd love to replace my speed concept with a cannondale tt bike
Quote Reply
Re: New Cannondale [ridenfish39] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ridenfish39 wrote:
You make that bike with regular hidden brakes and I'm sold. Not many of us want to invest in another set of ridiculously expensive wheels.
You make a good point with the wheel switch over... I presume I'd be able to re-lace my race wheels for disc compatible hubs (except for the disc wheel - that would a painful replacement)... Regular hydraulic hidden brakes would work for me too (makes me nostalgic for my 2001 C'dale "Road Warrior" with Magura hydraulic brakes :-) ).

Last edited by: TriSliceRS: Oct 11, 16 9:41
Quote Reply
Re: New Cannondale [TriSliceRS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Re-lacing depends on spoke count. Probably need at least 20 for the front.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Damon,

Appreciate you providing some information on the new Cannondale Slice. I am currently riding a 2013 Cannondale Slice which has served me well but am in the market for a new triathlon bike so excited to see what is next in line for Cannondale. I also have a hi-mod Evo roadie which I love.

I have to agree with some of the other members on this thread in saying that the idea of optional integration is something that most brands haven't embraced yet. The ability to easily your bike for anything from a simple olympic distance set up to a 140.6 and everything in between, plus long training rides, would be a great selling point especially on a light and aero frame like that prototype that will be attractive for all courses and also comfortable for long days in the saddle. Cannondale specific optional integrated extras such as a bento box, front aero bottle, spares storage, dual frame cage braze ons etc would be a highly attractive proposition!

Best of luck with the new project.

Cheers
Quote Reply

Prev Next